AOL & Obama: Ignoring 2nd Anniversary of Obamacare?

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 2:04 pm - March 23, 2012.
Filed under: Media Bias,Obama Health Care Tax/Regulation

Here we get AOL’s top story as we celebrate the 2nd anniversary of Obamacare:

Meanwhile, Glenn Reynolds reports how the president is celebrating his signature initiative:

WSJ: You Know What’s Missing From The Obama Healthcare Anniversary? Obama. Yeah, I’d keep a low profile on that one, too, if it were me. “With the law still unpopular with many Americans, the White House has concluded that it is virtually impossible to change negative public opinions, particularly if Mr. Obama is front and center, a senior administration official said.”

NB: Keep changing the title on this one.

UPDATE: Ed Morrissey has more on the anniversary the president is ignoring:

On Wednesday, The Hill reported that Barack Obama wouldn’t do anything to celebrate the two-year anniversary of ObamaCare, his signature legislative achievement.  That might have to do with the fact that a majority of voters wants it repealed, and even a plurality of Democrats (48%) want it rolled back in whole or in part.

1. Did are forefathers envision gated communities?

Comment by Cinesnatch — March 23, 2012 @ 2:33 pm - March 23, 2012

2. Don’t forget that the Founding Fathers were the One-Percenters of the Colonial American economy, not the unwashed lumpen proletariat.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — March 23, 2012 @ 4:15 pm - March 23, 2012

3. Doesnt answer the question.

Comment by Cinesnatch — March 23, 2012 @ 4:28 pm - March 23, 2012

4. Vince,

Did are forefathers envision gated communities?

This has blown right over my head. I don’t understand what you are asking or why you are asking it. I know gated communities to be those housing areas where access is restricted such as many public housing projects and streets of upscale estates. Beyond that, I am not sure how it ties into the founding fathers.

Charles A Beard wrote An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution of the United States in 1913 wherein he put forth the notion that wealthy men got together to support their economic interests and, perhaps, protect their wealth. Living near Mt. Vernon, Monticello, Montpelier and being familiar with the Adams’ homes and those of other founders, I assure you they were as good as gated. While a stranger could pull up to the door and undoubtedly be admitted, it was not with careful scrutiny and plenty of caution. These people were not idiots.

Comment by Heliotrope — March 23, 2012 @ 4:48 pm - March 23, 2012

5. Well certainly, given the lack of adequate sewage removal, the forefathers envisioned dumping urine and feces down a stairwell, so I guess we’re all supposed to do it, right?

Comment by My Sharia Moor — March 23, 2012 @ 4:49 pm - March 23, 2012

6. Thank you for your insight helio.

Comment by Cinesnatch — March 23, 2012 @ 6:04 pm - March 23, 2012

7. You are welcome. I still don’t have any clue as to why you posted your question or how it pertained to Dan’s post.

Comment by Heliotrope — March 23, 2012 @ 6:09 pm - March 23, 2012

8. His post indirectly references a story about a gated community “watchman” who shot an unarmed teenager dead. I’ve never lived in a gated community, so they are quite foreign to me They give me the creeps and strike me as self-entitled. Maybe I just need to get used to them. Which is probably why I feel more comfortable in cities or in nature, where they are less prevalent or don’t exist.

Comment by Cinesnatch — March 23, 2012 @ 6:18 pm - March 23, 2012

9. Gotcha!

I was on the board of a Section 8 housing project which was overrun with all manner of predatory types looking for booty, drug sales and raising a ruckus.

Our solution was to install speed bumps and make only one entrance/exit through which they had to squeeze slowly. Then we put our satellite police office right next to the choke point. It took exactly one day to chase the trouble away and make the inner court driving areas safe for toddlers on big wheels and people to plant flowers and to shut down the noise and chaos during night time hours. We treated the residents to the joy and luxury of normalcy and they, in turn, responded in a thousand positive ways.

As to the young fellow in Sanford, Florida who was shot dead by a “neighborhood watch” 28 year old in a supposedly gated community, I can only surmise that a junior bird man with a bad case of authority entitlement or a terrible case of misdirection has only begun to comprehend how swift justice can be when you take the law into your own hands. Pitiful and sorry as the shooter may be, he bears full responsibly for his own actions and misjudgment.

I abhor the rent-a-mob tactics of race-baiters Sharpton and Farrakhan, but they have a brand to sell to a rapidly declining band of ultra leftists who crave any form of disruption to feed their agenda of chaos and revolution.

On the other side of the coin, I bear no malice toward those who wish to isolate themselves behind closed gates. They are no different from the people who live in tall buildings protected by doormen and front desks who keep the hoi polloi from riding the elevators and trying doorknobs.

My apartment in NYC is in a building where one had best not try to roam aimlessly. While I did not think of it as important when I selected the place, I have come to appreciate it in a thousand different ways. Every person seeking entrance to my apartment is treated with courtesy and respect, but they are always preceded with confirmation that I wish to confirm their access.

Meanwhile, we are able to wander the halls in bathrobes on the way to pool or go to the roof terrace or the fitness rooms or the conference areas (all of which are part of the rent for which we pay a premium) without giving concern to others on our way. That is the result of careful vigilance on the ground floor and CCTV in every hallway, stairwell and common area. In sum, it is the small price of security. A gated community, if you will.)

Comment by Heliotrope — March 23, 2012 @ 7:53 pm - March 23, 2012

10. Thanks for brightening my horizons.

Sounds like quite a life you lead.

Comment by Cinesnatch — March 23, 2012 @ 10:25 pm - March 23, 2012

11. Did are forefathers envision gated communities?

Between the Protestants and the Quakers, they probably wished they had. Same with the Scots-Irish who settled in the South and wanted to make their own whiskey.

I wonder if you might have the same disdain for the many 55+ communities around here.

Comment by TGC — March 24, 2012 @ 3:33 am - March 24, 2012

12. Thanks, TGC, but I prefer Helio’s answer. Especially when his response’s tone acknowledged the hesitancy in my stance. You know the part where I said “Maybe I just need to get used to them.”

You might want to read the whole exchange. It’s not very long. But, if you’d prefer to remain in your smugness, then, don’t bother.

Oh, and per the last time you responded to one of my posts, you never got back to me on whether or not you wanted my SSN. Just wondering, seeing how you thought you were so clever by pointing out that I post “anonymously.”

Comment by Cinesnatch — March 24, 2012 @ 8:49 am - March 24, 2012

13. Conservatives hijacked the Twitter hashtag #ILikeObamaCare; no wonder Obama isn’t celebrating ObamaCare. It’s reviled & toxic as he is.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — March 24, 2012 @ 10:17 am - March 24, 2012

14. Especially when his response’s tone acknowledged the hesitancy in my stance. You know the part where I said “Maybe I just need to get used to them.”

I noted it, but didn’t buy it.

you never got back to me on whether or not you wanted my SSN.

No idea what you’re talking about, but that’s no reason why you can’t enjoy yourself. Cheers.

Comment by TGC — March 24, 2012 @ 4:36 pm - March 24, 2012

15. I noted it, but didn’t buy it.

That’s funny, because Helio has one of best sh!t detectors on GP.

Here’s a refresher:

You said

That’s a French surname, isn’t it?

to point out the perceived “irony” in me pointing out someone’s hidden identity, while “hiding” mine.

And this was my response:

[After going into great detail, how my identity is not "hidden" ...] Is there anything else you’d like to know, TGC? Like my SS#?

Comment by Cinesnatch — March 24, 2012 @ 5:55 pm - March 24, 2012