Congressman Adam Schiff:
Democrat without solution to coming insolvency of entitlements

Welcome Instapundit Readers!  I see Glenn compared Mr. Schiff to the Treasury Secretary.  I address Mr. Geithner’s acknowledgement in my this post.

Just returned from a townhall with my soon-to-be new Congressman (provided he isn’t defeated in November) Adam Schiff.  When the 113th Congress convenes next January, thanks to redistricting, Henry Waxman will no longer represent me in the U.S. House.*

Despite his more civil demeanor, Mr. Schiff acknowledged that he had no plan to address the coming insolvency of federal entitlements.

Citing the warning of Medicare’s trustees about the program’s coming insolvency and this report about Social Security failing even faster than anticipated, I asked the Democrat what specific reforms had he proposed or supported to address the problem.  After he stumbled around for a while acknowledging the complexity of the problem and offering some broad goals for reform, I interrupted him, repeating my question, this time emphasizing the adjective, “specific”.

He then said, “I don’t have a specific plan for Social Security.”  (When, after the townhall, I showed him that sentence on my notepad, he started to blather on about his goals, but acknowledged that I had quoted him correctly, that he had no specific plan.)

Later, when I asked point blank, “So you don’t have a plan?”, he replied that he did not.  And yet, when I inquired about the bipartisan plan the Democratic senior Senator for Oregon Ron Wyden backed, he faulted that proposal while taking potshots at the types of reforms Republicans had proposed and were considering.  Perhaps, I should have reminded him what Jon Huntsman said in expressing admiration for “Congressman Paul Ryan’s honest attempt to save Medicare“:

Those who disagree with his approach incur a moral responsibility to propose reforms that would ensure Medicare’s ability to meet its responsibilities to retirees without imposing an unaffordable tax burden on future generations of Americans.

Mr. Schiff attacked Mr. Ryan’s plan, yet has not met the “moral responsibility” of proposing those such reforms.

My new congressional district will be ill-served who, although acknowledging our the crisis of federal entitlements, has failed to offer a solution.  By failing to put forward (or sign on to) legislation offering real reform, Adam Schiff, simply put, is not doing his job.  And should be replaced come November.

If all goes well, then, he will, technically at least, never become my Congressman.

*So, technically he still serves as my Congressman and hence my choice to modify Mr. Schiff’s title with “soon-to-be.”

1. 5000 years ago, Moses said, “Pick up your shovels, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land.”

When Welfare was introduced, Roosevelt said, “Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land.”

Today, thanks to Obama and the Democrats the federal government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels and mortgaged the Promised Land to China.

Comment by Spartann — April 22, 2012 @ 5:18 pm - April 22, 2012

2. he stumbled around for a while acknowledging the complexity of the problem

But it isn’t complex. It’s simple.

Social Security, Medicare, and the other entitlements including State-funded pensions, are going to run out of money. Period.

If GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, which the government requires businesses to apply) were applied to the federal government, the national debt would not be 15.x trillion dollars. It would be north of one hundred trillion dollars.

The government has already gutted the dollar’s value by printing trillions to cover these shortfalls… and will be printing trillions more. (“Got gold?”)

These are not complex problems. Acolytes of Big Government make them sound complex, in hopes that voters will excuse them as they waltz aboard the Titanic.

BTW, try to imagine sometime being the orchestra on the Titanic… feeling like you need to keep the music going, to keep yourselves and others from panicking as long as possible… and then it’s too late to get on the lifeboats. What a way to go; knowing in the final moment that your stupidity and denial just cost you your life.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 22, 2012 @ 5:21 pm - April 22, 2012

3. [...] Congressman Adam Schiff:Democrat without solution to coming insolvency of entitlements [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » The Defining Exchange of the Democrats’ 2012 Strategy:Fault the Republican Plan, Fail to Offer a Democratic Alternative — April 22, 2012 @ 8:10 pm - April 22, 2012

4. By “complex” he means, of course, that doing something about these cordless bungee jumps into fiscal madness might jeopardize his ability to get a nice leather chair in DC to conform to the shape of his ass.

So what’s a good Democrat to do? On one side there’s political peril and fiscal salvation for 300 million-plus citizens. On the other is a revival of 1980s-era Argentina here with a fat federal (and inflation-proof) pension.

I think we know which Mr. Schiff will pick.

Comment by Jeffersonian — April 22, 2012 @ 9:17 pm - April 22, 2012

5. Spartann …. lots of wisdom there, good job

Comment by rk — April 22, 2012 @ 9:58 pm - April 22, 2012

6. It certainly isn’t that simple!
    “We can’t afford to have everyone feeding off the public trough (or off the young). Period.”
    The problem may be simple – a viable solution isn’t.

Comment by Henry — April 22, 2012 @ 10:10 pm - April 22, 2012

7. I think this explains all …
    Adam Schiff is a fictional character on the TV drama series Law & Order.

Comment by Neo — April 22, 2012 @ 10:23 pm - April 22, 2012

8. Concerning Social Security, one thing we could do is allow only those who paid into it to collect from it.

I know, I know…the feds will be here any moment to take me away.

Comment by Koblog — April 22, 2012 @ 10:44 pm - April 22, 2012

9. You should know a couple of things:

1. Adam Schiff the fictional TV character existed prior to the prominence of the politician. Though they’re both liberals, the TV character was principled, and the politician, well…

2. Schiff was a State Assemblyman who ran against James Rogan, one of the prosecutors in the Clinton impeachment trial. National media at the time tried to portray Schiff’s defeat of Rogan in terms of a repudiation of Rogan’s participation in the “persecution” of Clinton, but…

3. What made the local papers in Glendale is how Rogan voted that same year in a Sense of the House Resolution on Armenian Genocide. The House resolution explicitly insisted the genocide of the Armenian population happened and was the direct responsibilty of the Ottoman government, something modern Turks typically dispute. Both the Clinton White House and Albright’s State Department lobbied Rogan specifically to get him to vote against the measure, insisting that its passage would lead to terrorist attacks against Americans. When he did vote against it, Schiff appeared on Armenian cable TV locally, speaking in Armenian and condemning Rogan’s vote.

The population of Glendale is generally thought to be ca. 40% Armenian and Armenian-American and there have been, over the years, persistent rumors of widespread voter fraud.

Anyway, racial minority pandering worked, and Schiff has been reelected ever since. Good luck getting him to do anything for you…

Comment by David W. Nicholas — April 22, 2012 @ 11:21 pm - April 22, 2012

10. So what are you proposing for the retirees? Cut off Social Security? Will you refund them all of their prior contributions, plus their employer contributions, plus interest, with all of that translated into current dollars?
    The problem may be simple – a viable solution isn’t.

Comment by Henry — April 22, 2012 @ 10:10 pm – April 22, 2012

Why not, Henry?

After all, you and your lib Obama Party have been screaming for years that Social Security wasn’t insolvent, that we had the money sitting right there in a lockbox, that it was generating revenue and interest sufficient to meet its requirements, etc.

So the money is there; why can’t we just return it?

Or were you and your fellow Obama supporters lying to the American public all along?

That’s the thing, Henry. You’ve been shrieking for years that Social Security was solvent. Now you’re being called on your bullsh*t and forced to admit that you were lying.

You no longer get to make these decisions. You lied once; why should you ever be trusted to do right again?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 23, 2012 @ 1:57 am - April 23, 2012

11. Democrats and liberals don’t vote based on policy, they vote based on cultural identification with certain ideas. That’s why it doesn’t matter if a Democrat has no plan to deal with real problems; it’s more “important” to liberal voters that the right noises about women, gays, and minorities come out of his mouth.

Comment by V the K — April 23, 2012 @ 5:56 am - April 23, 2012

12. Democrats only have issues, Democrats don’t solve problems.

Because any time you solve a problem you may upset voters.

Comment by Carl — April 23, 2012 @ 2:25 pm - April 23, 2012

13. Dan,
    I was so insulted at this event – http://www.gaypatriot.net/2009/08/12/reader-report-from-alhambra-town-hall-with-rep-adam-schiff/
    I am so glad that he will no longer be my congressman after the 113th congress convenes (thanks to redistricting. Sorry you have to take him).

Comment by Cord — April 23, 2012 @ 9:06 pm - April 23, 2012

14. The Obamacrats gerrymandered my district into oblivion. Since I will no longer be represented in Congress by anyone elected locally, I am adopting Mia Love of Utah as my surrogate congressman. She represents me better than any Democrat hack ever will.

Comment by V the K — April 23, 2012 @ 10:11 pm - April 23, 2012

15. Regrettably, Schiff IS my current congresstool. And under redistricting, I fear I will be stuck with an even worse one.

Comment by Mark J. Goluskin — April 24, 2012 @ 2:57 pm - April 24, 2012

16. [...] district in the next Congress — spoke to a town hall at my synagogue, yet acknowledged he had no plan to address the coming crisis of entitlements. And even though he could come up with no plan of his own, he did find the time to attack the [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Obama’s Cowardice in Failing to Confront Crisis of Entitlements — April 26, 2012 @ 12:45 pm - April 26, 2012