Don Lemon savaged for conceding conservative critique of Obama

So, if a man working in the “news” industry (who happens to be gay) concedes a conservative’s point about the president’s whining he is betraying gay people?

Earlier today, Bruce e-mailed me, alerting me to Ed Morrisey’s post where that one-time CPAC blogger of the year reports:

On Sunday evening, CNN’s Don Lemon told viewers that “people like Sarah Palin have a point” when they say that Barack Obama needs to stop blaming everyone else for the shortcomings in his own performance, including the economy.

Read the whole thing.  Note that the telegenic CNN anchor was not conceding a conservative’s point on a gay-specific issue. Still, as Morrissey reports, several bloggers to reference his sexuality in attacking him for his concession:

@donlemoncnn If you think the Right will make you their Pet Gay, they won’t. Obama is standing up 4 U & don’t forget who you are.—
Kees Valderol (@keesvalderol) April 24, 2012

@theosmelek @Lezlie61 @DonLemonCNN He’s a black gay man and a RW tool for a buck. His boyfriend is a CNN higher up too.—
Annie Lawton (@CurlynDoris) April 23, 2012

@donlemoncnn Little Gay kids are committing suicide because of the Right Wing. You could make an impact. You’re a wimp.—
Fritz Alverez (@FritzAlverez) April 24, 2012

Guess to these folks when you acknowledge a conservative critique of Obama you are somehow betraying gay people.  We gay conservatives have heard such notions before.  Seems that’s what happens when you have so politicized your sexuality — that any departure from left-wing ideology must needs make a gay man a “tool.”

1. Hmm, wonder which of these tweet handles is Little fruit?

Comment by The_Livewire — April 24, 2012 @ 6:48 pm - April 24, 2012

2. Little Gay kids are committing suicide because of the Right Wing.

I don’t know if it’s more pathetic that people toss this around in order silence opinions they don’t like, or that some people actually believe this garbage.

Comment by V the K — April 24, 2012 @ 7:12 pm - April 24, 2012

3. Had no idea Lemon was gay. Also had no idea that one’s sexual preference should preclude them from holding politicians accountable. Got that gay people? The team bus is over there – now go sit in the back of it. The straight liberals in the front will let you know when it’s ok to criticize the president.

Comment by Jason S — April 24, 2012 @ 7:23 pm - April 24, 2012

4. This is what happens with the Left’s Borg-like groupthink; they destroy their own when they get off script. Typical.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — April 24, 2012 @ 7:25 pm - April 24, 2012

5. This is why I hate the Left’s identity politics. For any minority, whether black or gay or whatever, the worst one runs into on the right are those few who dislike your identity.

On the left you have those who demand that your identity be a leash they may yank at their leisure, and they reserve the right to viciously strip your blackness, gayness, etc. from you should you displease them.

One of the many reasons that I left the Democratic Party was that I find the latter attitude more abhorrently bigoted and racist than the former.

Comment by FormerDeminTX — April 24, 2012 @ 7:27 pm - April 24, 2012

6. WOW!! Folks, it is ALL about keeping everyone in fear and panic! I know. I allowed myself to be kept in that level of panic all through the Clinton and Bush years. And it took seeing that the real monster was that honeyed talking “community organizer” whose every action concerning this country’s citizens is done with malice.

Sorry, Kees, in what galaxy is Obama “standing up 4″ us? And the panicked tweet about teen suicide is particularly scary. Yes, I was there too back in the day. Yes, I’m appalled that there are pockets of the country where kids are indeed being driven to suicide. Yes, there are some malignant supposed conservatives like Pat Robertson and NOM who contribute to the problem.

But in this context, the statement is nonsensical. It is akin to me saying to one of them “look that building is on fire! We have to call 9-1-1″ and I get a reply of “I was walking by that house last week and a car almost hit me. I’m still traumatized”. Um, yes and last I checked the sky was still blue and gas is hovering at $3.70 where I live. AND?????

And in order for people to be kept stuck in fear in the concentration camp of the left, the pundits need to come down hard on Lemon for daring to question the wisdom of this “great” President. NO, Lemon was actually doing a semblance of his job in, wonder of wonders, “a fair and balanced” way and horrors of horrors “going off script.” Too bad. WE know who to blame for that.

Comment by PopArt — April 24, 2012 @ 7:33 pm - April 24, 2012

7. Obviously, gay people are not competent enough to be journalists, without exception. That is what the gay leftists on Twitter are telling me. Of course, I’ve known for a while now that no gay person anywhere is intelligent enough to form their own opinions on anything, so I their lack of ability to be unbiased is not surprising.

Comment by Rattlesnake — April 24, 2012 @ 8:03 pm - April 24, 2012

8. *Snort*…Rattlesnake, that was funny. This evening, I listened to the @REALBROTHER’s webcast where he determined that by a) living with a white woman will teach you we are all dumb (not a racist comment) b) if you do not like the president’s policies, it is because they are “black polices” (because you are a racist), and c) that if you do a job that you think should be done by a minority (because you are a racist) but fail to hire said minority to perform aforementioned menial task, you are, yep, a racist. Ergo, the reason any conservative lives and breathes is because THEY are the racists in the world (fill in the blank, really, for all liberal memes…women, homosexuals, artists, actors, musicians, teachers, union workers, the poor, the incarcerated, the illegal immigrants, third world nations, Europe (but not Israel), Muslims (but not Jews or Christians), atheist (COEXIST!), etc.) and 400 years of racial injustice lead conservatives to that racism. Now, I have seen some awful things being said about blacks (Uncle Toms), women (Brainwashed Stepfords), and homosexuals (Auntie Toms) for daring to break the Borg-mentality of the left on twitter, Facebook, and this very blog site. Very Alinsky-esque behaviors to demonize and trivialize anyone who does not conform to their meme. Critical thought in one’s mind and the ability to express that thought is the fundamental right at the heart of this nation’s founding and why it so threatens the Political Commissars of the left.

Comment by hellocat — April 24, 2012 @ 8:34 pm - April 24, 2012

9. I’ve had it with paying any attention to people that want to blame me for LGBT kids committing suicide.

Comment by Richard Bell — April 24, 2012 @ 9:53 pm - April 24, 2012

10. “But even gays can have internalised homophobia.”

I’ve seen that statement used to shut gay people up when they say “But no, I disagree/don’t find that offensive or homophobic”. It seems to me that this amounts to making an unfalsifiable hypothesis, because anyone who disagrees with the person who uses it is (by their lights) secretly motivated by self-loathing and/or has some form of political/social Stockholm Syndrome and lacks the credibility to call them out on their errors.

Comment by perturbed — April 24, 2012 @ 9:54 pm - April 24, 2012

11. Will be interesting to see what Lemon learns… if anything.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 24, 2012 @ 10:40 pm - April 24, 2012

12. BTW, typing comments on a keyboard is so much easier than typing them on a smartphone.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 24, 2012 @ 11:13 pm - April 24, 2012

13. Had no idea Lemon was gay.

I was going to say that you must not watch him, but then I’ve only watched him once. Lemon is the real personification of Phil Hendrie’s Doug Dannger.

Comment by TGC — April 25, 2012 @ 3:21 am - April 25, 2012

14. Don Lemon is a wuss.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — April 25, 2012 @ 9:18 am - April 25, 2012

15. There is no doubt in my mind that Don Lemon is the typical liberal journalist. He’s made too many off-the-cuff comments in the past on CNN that betrayed his bias. The instances seemed to pile up at a greater rate after he came out. It was almost as if coming out gave him the courage to be even more opinionated while interviewing people. I think the comment about being tired of Obama blaming everyone else for his own failures was simply someone trying to show his critics “see? I’m not in the tank for Obama like you say I am. I can criticize Obama, too!”. One instance of not spouting the party line does not un-do months of not-so-subtle advocacy of the Democrat party positions when his job was/is to be non-partisan. Of course the loud criticism from the left will now probably make him go overboard in trying to curry their favor again.

Comment by jimmy — April 25, 2012 @ 10:41 am - April 25, 2012