“It’s still about the economy…and we’re not stupid.”

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 3:36 am - April 25, 2012.
Filed under: 2012 Presidential Election

Like John Hinderaker, I too was impressed with Mitt Romney’s speech last night.  And like him, I too noticed the former governor’s wife.  John took note of his poise and speculates about how she might contribute “in a subtle way, to the overall image of the ticket.”  I noticed how devoted he seems to her.  He looks at her, as if he just can’t believe that, out of all the men in the world, she picked him.

It wasn’t just the way he looked at his wife that struck me, but also the content of his speech.  Now, given that I watched while doing cardio, I did not catch the tone of his voice, only saw how he energized he looked as I read the text of his remarks through the miracle of closed-captioning.  He hit all the right notes and made clear he was taking the fight to Obama, hitting the Democrat for his policy failures and for the sour state of the national economy.

The Republican was upbeat, optimistic, Reaganesque in rhetoric if not in tone.

And he used Obama’s words against him:

Those who promise to spread the wealth around only ever succeed in spreading poverty.  Other nations have chosen that path. It leads to chronic high unemployment, crushing debt, and stagnant wages.

He also turned a familiar Clinton campaign expression on its head.  Warning us that the Democrats remain determined to “run a campaign of diversions, distractions, and distortions”, Romney reminds us that “It’s still about the economy …and we’re not stupid.” The UK’s Toby Harnden reminds us of a bit of American history:

Just as the Clinton campaign (whose manager James Carville famously coined the phrase ‘it’s the economy, stupid’) resisted President George H.W. Bush’s attempts to make the 1992 election about the then Arkansas governor’s character, Team Romney will try keep the focus on Obama and his record.

H/t Instapundit.  The reference to Clinton’s expression is clear, but I’m wondering if Romney was also referring to Obama’s own use of the derogatory adjective  In an energy speech (falsely) suggesting that all that the Republican energy plan entails is drilling, drilling and more drilling, he said, “Well the American people aren’t stupid.

In his speech last night, Mitt Romney hit the right tone and made quite clear that he intends to take the fight to the failed incumbent.  And he’s not pulling punches.

1. I saw the FOX news report on his speech with Bret Baier and was impressed myself. It gave me more confidence to think that Romney actually has a fighting chance against Obama. Romney showed that he has substance and means to aim at the heart of the problem(s). Then there was Obama at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with his usual rhetoric and obviously reeling in the students with his talk about how him and Michelle were once ‘in their shoes’, still trying to maintain that image of his. He reminds me of some show host trying to get the audience on his side with cheap jokes that bring out laughter from the audience and it’s a sad indication of the times; what it means to be a politician and serious you treat the job.

Comment by Deki — April 25, 2012 @ 5:02 am - April 25, 2012

2.  I noticed how devoted he seems to her.  He looks at her, as if he just can’t believe that, out of all the men in the world, she picked him.

My word, Daniel…

Is this a political blog, or a Harlequin romance novel? :-)

Comment by My Sharia Moor — April 25, 2012 @ 6:37 am - April 25, 2012

3. The establishment republicans tell us they have the candidate to beat, Obama. He’s not going to bring up icky social issues. The business community will relax and get back to work. Those pesky tea party people will lose the economy issue and the establishment republicans will manage the continued spending.

What more could we ask for?

Comment by Richard Bell — April 25, 2012 @ 8:06 am - April 25, 2012

4. I noticed how devoted he seems to her. He looks at her, as if he just can’t believe that, out of all the men in the world, she picked him.

Jealous?

Comment by V the K — April 25, 2012 @ 10:53 am - April 25, 2012

5. Great speech, which really hit all the right notes. I hope Romney continues on this theme of ignoring all the ‘other stuff” and staying focused on the economy. As long as he does, Obozo is in real trouble. Anytime Romney is asked some “stupid” question, he should reply, “Thanks for asking that, but it’s not what the American people are concerned about, so that’s what I’m going to address.” It will frustrate the MSM endlessly – they’ll deride him for being “evasive” – but the voters will love it.

Comment by Mart Martin — April 25, 2012 @ 11:43 am - April 25, 2012

6. I did not catch the tone of his voice, only saw how he energized he looked as I read the text of his remarks through the miracle of closed-captioning

That’s good. I didn’t see it, but to speak generally, looking at politicians with the sound turned off for a few minutes lets you focus on what’s in their face & body language, which I believe is their real message.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 25, 2012 @ 11:50 am - April 25, 2012

7. Video in case anyone missed it: http://ace.mu.nu/archives/328731.php

I have to admit, Willard hit a nice stride. Spot-on comments, good pace, hopeful even tone. Maybe practice makes perfect.

I still hate it that I’m going to vote for a “car salesman” personality who prototyped Obamacare. To the extent I contribute, it’s still going to be for issue groups or lower-tier Tea Party candidates who will keep President Willard honest… Not for him.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 25, 2012 @ 12:45 pm - April 25, 2012

8. Dan, I think you have hit on what may be the proverbial “ace in the hole” for Romney – his wife!! She resonates with many women, she is real and presents a very strong, resiliant personality. I saw some teasers of an interview to air in ABC’s Entertainment Tonight and it was outstanding. Considering all the women that watch that show, it will introduce her to many female voters.

She juxtaposes well with Michelle Obama, and could be a major contributor to the campaign. I think she derserves to be watched closely over the next 6 months.

Second point: I understand all the trepidation with voting for Romney, but 4 more years of this “unmitigated disaster” is unacceptable plain and simple.

Comment by mixitup — April 25, 2012 @ 1:33 pm - April 25, 2012

9. Quick, must-see video on whether the government has a revenue problem – or a spending problem: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/which-came-first-spending-or-debt

Highlights:
    - AFTER adjusting both for population growth and for inflation, the government today collects 3 times the revenue that it collected in the 1950s.
    - Again after adjust both for population growth and for inflation, the government today spends well over 4 times per person, what it did in the 1950s.

Shouldn’t 3 times the revenue be enough? And what makes lefties think it is possible to extract more from people?

And what are we getting, for 4+ times the spending? Why does Obama call it draconian Social Darwinism? Who does he think he is fooling?

America has a spending problem… period.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 25, 2012 @ 2:18 pm - April 25, 2012