GOPROUD CONDEMNS DAN SAVAGE’S ANTI-CHRISTIAN TIRADE

Released in the last hour… GOPROUD condemns Dan Savage.

Jimmy LaSalvia, GOProud Executive Director – “Dan Savage’s outrageous anti-Christian tirade hurts – not helps – the fight for gay rights in this country.”

(Washington, D.C.) – Today, GOProud – a national organization of gay and straight Americans seeking to promote freedom by supporting free markets, limited government, and a respect for individual rights, condemned a speech given by left wing gay activist Dan Savage. “Dan Savage’s outrageous anti-Christian tirade hurts – not helps – the fight for gay rights in this country,” said Jimmy LaSalvia, GOProud Executive Director. “There is nothing incompatible between being a Christian and believing that all people should be treated equally, and Dan Savage’s attacks on Christianity only fuel those on the extremist fringe who oppose gay rights.”

“Dan Savage should apologize for his comments and should apologize to the high school students in attendance who he called ‘pansy-asses,’” continued LaSalvia. “It is ironic that someone whose claim to fame is fighting bullying would resort to bullying tactics in attacking high school students who were offended by his outrageous remarks.”

“GOProud works with people of faith every single day – gay and straight. We believe strongly that people of faith should be treated with respect,” concluded LaSalvia.

Bravo.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. We’ve seen Evan Hurst and rusty start the cycle of denial.

1. He didn’t say it because left-wing blogs aren’t reporting it. The homophobic right just made it up.
    2. OK, maybe he did say it, but the story got some peripheral details wring, so it doesn’t matter that he said it.

And next…

3. I can’t believe we’re still talking about it. Can’t we move on.

Comment by V the K — April 28, 2012 @ 3:20 pm - April 28, 2012

2. Thank you for speaking out against Dan Savage. It meant a lot to me.

Comment by Carol — April 28, 2012 @ 3:50 pm - April 28, 2012

3. I read his tirade. There are goof-offs in all walks of life. Maybe he had a bad hair day ??? I certainly would not condemn his actions just because he is gay. We straights can be obnoxios also.

Comment by Tony — April 28, 2012 @ 4:41 pm - April 28, 2012

4. Considering this, Obama’s Enemies List along with the words and deeds of Al Armendariz and one has to wonder who the terrorists are.

Comment by TGC — April 28, 2012 @ 5:41 pm - April 28, 2012

5. I certainly would not condemn his actions just because he is gay.

He is being condemned because of what he said, not because he is gay. I’m sure a straight person would be similarly condemned for an identical action.

Comment by Rattlesnake — April 28, 2012 @ 6:09 pm - April 28, 2012

6. Tony-

You need to learn more about Dan Savage. This is just the latest in his history of vile, bigoted rants against mainstream Americans.

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — April 28, 2012 @ 6:15 pm - April 28, 2012

7. Actually, Bruce, Towleroad has the entire text of what he said, and while I agree that he could have toned it down a bit, he didn’t say anything that was untrue.

ALSO, let us not fall into the fundamentalist Christian trap of pretending that a critique of the Bible is tantamount to an attack on all believers. His statements about the Bible, AND about what most sane Christians have done over the course of history in abandoning the parts that are not tenable (ahem, slavery!), may not have sounded right to the teenager who cried “That’s bull!,” but Dan Savage is actually correct on that point. It is no surprise that he knows the Bible better than a Fundamentalist. No surprise at all.

Comment by Evan Hurst — April 28, 2012 @ 7:23 pm - April 28, 2012

8. Dan Savage is Nancy Pelosi’s shit that came to life before she could flush it down the toilet. Naturally, Savage has shit spewing from his mouth. Poor turd.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — April 28, 2012 @ 7:32 pm - April 28, 2012

9. It is not ironic at all that Savage decries bullying against him and his ilk, but uses the same techniques against people he disagrees with. He doesn’t want to live in a diverse world, he wants a small fish tank where only like minded people exist.
    He is evil, cruel and the last person who should be lecturing anybody about civility and understanding.

Comment by Leah — April 28, 2012 @ 7:46 pm - April 28, 2012

10. I don’t have time to fully flesh out my thoughts on this right now — it is, after all, the weekend, and I have plans — but I’m going to publish on it Monday morning. Though Bruce said in the other thread that I should have “disclosed” that I am a partner of Dan’s in “attacking people of faith” (or something along those lines), something that Bruce’s co-blogger would never say because he knows me better than that and he’s also not quite as easily excitable, the truth is that my thoughts on this are pretty complex. That said, I’m consulting with two well known Christian activists/writers to get their thoughts and will include that in my column.

Comment by Evan Hurst — April 28, 2012 @ 7:52 pm - April 28, 2012

11. I am willing to bet there is an inverse correlation between a person’s Christian religiosity and his propensity to bully. Evan Hurst and Dan Savage can’t produce any examples of Christians being exhorted by church leaders to bully or commit violence against gays. As longs as they can’t, they should STFU.

Comment by V the K — April 28, 2012 @ 8:02 pm - April 28, 2012

12. If only the republican leadership would speak out like GOProud.

Comment by Richard Bell — April 28, 2012 @ 8:14 pm - April 28, 2012

13. GOProud Executive Director Jimmy LaSalvia spoke out against Dan Savage–Savage, his name fits!–because he sees a threat to gay rights in Savage’s Christophobia. Read what this post quoted Mr. LaSalvia as saying. He said that Savage’s slurs hurt the cause of gay rights. I wonder if Mr. LaSalvia would’ve condemned Savage if he felt Savage’s remarks were in some way helpful to gay rights. I seriously, seriously doubt it.

Comment by Seane-Anna — April 28, 2012 @ 9:06 pm - April 28, 2012

14. “Christian activists/writers” tells me a lot right. All I would have to do is go to my Bible or my Pastor. That “activist” term revealed a world of understanding about your approach to this, Evan.

Comment by jaliranchr — April 28, 2012 @ 9:32 pm - April 28, 2012

15. [...] GayPatriot GOPROUD CONDEMNS DAN SAVAGE'S ANTI … There is nothing incompatible between being a Christian and believing that all people should be treated equally, and Dan Savage's attacks on Christianity only fuel those on the extremist fringe who oppose gay rights. … http://www.gaypatriot.net/2012/04/28/goproud-condemns-dan-savages-anti-christian-tirade/ [...]

Pingback by Dan Savage | Curation Club — April 28, 2012 @ 9:35 pm - April 28, 2012

16. Though Bruce said in the other thread that I should have “disclosed” that I am a partner of Dan’s in “attacking people of faith” (or something along those lines), something that Bruce’s co-blogger would never say because he knows me better than that and he’s also not quite as easily excitable, the truth is that my thoughts on this are pretty complex. That said, I’m consulting with two well known Christian activists/writers to get their thoughts and will include that in my column.

Comment by Evan Hurst — April 28, 2012 @ 7:52 pm – April 28, 2012

Actually, Evan Hurst, it’s not complex at all; you simply are a bigot.

Actually, Bob, most “reasonable” people, if we’re using the word with a respect for its root word, “reason,” agree that there is no evidence for God’s existence, and thus no rational REASON to believe that any god or gods have determined ANYTHING, much less morality.

Comment by Evan Hurst May 27, 2010 @ 7:13 pm

Hahahahaha, um. Dude. Seriously? No one in the history of the universe has ever been able to prove that the idea of “gods,” which have always been used to control populations, ever existed. It’s a ridiculous idea, created by uneducated nomads from thousands of years ago.

GROW UP>

Comment by Evan Hurst May 29, 2010 @ 4:13 am

They all rank “10″ because they’re all retarded and none of them can be proven by any human who’s ever lived.

God, your questions are really stupid.

Comment by Evan Hurst May 29, 2010 @ 4:29 am

Bob. That means your god is a weak minded little bitch who changes his mind and is definitely NOT eternal or omnipotent. He’s merely a reflection of humanity’s most disgusting instincts.

Grow the hell up.

Comment by Evan Hurst May 31, 2010 @ 4:20 am

Of COURSE, their idea of god is as a serial rapist. Fundamentalist religious people ARE essentially battered wives. They just act it out on a grander scale without such visible bruises. The really screwed up thing is that their abuser is an imaginary friend.

But it’s a rapist just the same.

Comment by Evan Hurst May 31, 2010 @ 4:22 am

Ben, everything you said was spot on. Bob’s idea of “god” is a moral reprobate, and a child at that. I wouldn’t worship a sniveling ass like that if you paid me.

Comment by Evan Hurst May 31, 2010 @ 4:25 am

And what people on here also know is that you endorse and support saying things like this about Dan Blatt, with you saying, quote, “everything (he) said is true, and then some”.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 28, 2012 @ 9:39 pm - April 28, 2012

17. It is no surprise that he knows the Bible better than a Fundamentalist. No surprise at all.

What kind of ignorant statement is this?

Fine. I am not gay. I don’t want to be gay. I have no particular interest in promoting aspects of the gay agenda. But, Evan Hurst, I know more about the “truth” of being gay in America than any gay.

What is that you say? I’m homophobe? Well, you, sir and Dan Savage show every sign of being Judeo-Christianphobes. Spin on that for a few centuries.

The conceit of liberals keeps growing like untreated toenail fungus.

Comment by heliotrope — April 28, 2012 @ 9:52 pm - April 28, 2012

18. Christian activists/writers” tells me a lot right. All I would have to do is go to my Bible or my Pastor. That “activist” term revealed a world of understanding about your approach to this, Evan.

Nice catch. That does betray a very leftist way of looking at the world.

Evan Hurst and Dan Savage know darn well Christians are not into bullying. (But Democrats and liberals certainly are) They do know that slandering Christians as bullies is a career enhancer for gay activists.

Comment by V the K — April 28, 2012 @ 9:52 pm - April 28, 2012

19. Do you think that Dan Savage can go up against the most Bible knowledgeable “Fundamentalist” in a Bible contest and come out on top? Of course not. So, this Evan Hurst character is actually saying that Dan Savage has the “true” understanding of the Bible and that no Fundamentalist is even close to knowing the “truth”.

Comment by heliotrope — April 28, 2012 @ 9:52 pm – April 28, 2012

LOL, heliotrope; both Dan Savage and Evan Hurst are scared as hell to go up against me. That’s why they banned me from their respective blogs.

Meanwhile, I can tell you exactly who Evan is going to “quote”: John Shore and Kathy Baldock, both of whom are terrified bigots who erase the postings of anyone who dares disagree with them, and who also fully endorse and support anything Evan does.

In short, both of them are “Christian activists/writers” who fully endorse and agree with this.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 28, 2012 @ 10:23 pm - April 28, 2012

20. I just saw the video of him speaking and many of the students walking out.
    Oddly it reminded me of the time Obama, himself, derided the Bible, making fun of some of it.
    They both misunderstand the Mosaic Covenant being replaced by the New on in exactly the same way.

Comment by Nan G — April 28, 2012 @ 10:28 pm - April 28, 2012

21. Oh, I can hardly wait for Mr. Hurst to consult with ‘activists/writers’ and relay his ‘pretty complex’ thoughts on all of this. There is always some nuance that will clear it all up. I assume Mr. Hurst considers himself some sort of journalist as well so maybe consulting with ‘experts’ would help to reach a reasoned conclusion. If he wants to just repeat things then go right ahead and consult with activists/writers.

Comment by Scott Lassiter — April 29, 2012 @ 7:04 am - April 29, 2012

22. I just found this over at the TWO website. Mr. Hurst was commenting on someone that suggested we need to be civil to make things better:

2.Disagree.
    “Civility” is a strawman meant to deflect attention from real arguments.
    Comment by Evan Hurst — April 17, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

Now that’s someone who is willing to question their own views.

Comment by Scott Lassiter — April 29, 2012 @ 7:36 am - April 29, 2012

23. [...] Released in the last hour… GOPROUD condemns Dan Savage. [...]

Pingback by Religio-Political Talk (RPT) Meaning of Irony: Anti-Bullying Crusader Curses Christian Children and Bashes GOP ~ UPDATED: Conservative Gay Groups Demand Apology! — April 29, 2012 @ 9:48 am - April 29, 2012

24. And didn’t we have a meltdown here a few weeks ago by lefties when Heliotrope made a comparison about dragging people behind vehicles with a rope?

Why yes, yes we did.

And of course, guess who called for Republicans to be dragged behind vehicles with ropes?

That’s right, Evan Hurst- and rusty-endorsed Dan Savage.

Not to mention his screaming calls for Republicans to be killed.

So what we see here is that, for all the screaming and pissing that Evan Hurst and his fellow bigots like rusty, Kathy Baldock and John Shore make about “death threats” and whatnot, seems they’re all about endorsing both when it comes to killing Republicans.

And we should also note that Dan Savage and his statements are fully endorsed and supported by the Obama Party, the Obama administration, and Barack Obama himself.

The Breitbart sites just went full force on Dan Savage and his endorsements by the Obama Party and Barack Obama. It’s a beautiful, beautiful sight. :)

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 29, 2012 @ 11:44 am - April 29, 2012

25. Most of you have not even heard or read Savage’s talk. There was no anti-Christian tirade – it was anti-hypocrisy comments. He made valid points about the Bible – the support in the Bible for slavery, for one. You may not like it but it is true. Get real people! What he said was true – try reading what he said before you spout off.

Comment by Rob — April 30, 2012 @ 5:55 pm - April 30, 2012

26. i notice other then this site most gays and almost all of the gay rights groups support the left. if things were so good for gays in leftist countries why did so many gays defect to the united states?

Comment by tommy651 — April 30, 2012 @ 7:31 pm - April 30, 2012