Maybe Dan Savage Was Confused?

I just noticed this quote from Savage’s wild-eyed bullying tirade…

“There is no effort to amend state constitutions to make it legal to stone women to death on their wedding nights if they’re not virgins — at least not yet,” Savage said. “We don’t know where the GOP is going these days.”

“People are dying because people can’t clear this one last hurdle,” he said. “They can’t get past this one last thing in the Bible — about homosexuality.

If I didn’t know better, I would think he was criticizing Islamic governments around the world that routinely stone women & hang gays NOW. I don’t recall an American government official doing anything of the sort in at least 50 years. And back then, it would have most likely been a Democrat.

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

1. Dan Savage has single handedly set the gay movement back 25yrs. This man is almost 60yrs old, why would he attack the Bible in front of a group of young people and then call then pansy assed for having disagreed? I was offended both for myself, as a Christian who has had many gay friends, but even more so for his attack on a group of teenagers who probably never bashed a gay person in their lives. Now he has projected gay males as raging loons. He is basically saying have tolerance for others, but if you disagree with me sit down and shut up pansy ass or I will bully you from the pulpit.

Comment by akumaleva — April 28, 2012 @ 10:01 pm - April 28, 2012

2. I, also, immediately thought of how ironic is it that Savage was savaging Christians when it is in Islamic lands where you get proof of these very things every day!

Only a few things that PRE-DATED that Law apply.

And even then, a Christian might have done some of THOSE things but could put them away on becoming Christian.

Many churches today point out the differences between the abusive forced sex of olden days with that of consensual adult sex of today.

Again, ironically, in Islam, that adult consensual sex is what is haram (forbidden) while forced sex with pre-pubescent boys is A-OK.

Savage on Islam.
    That’s what I’ll look forward to seeing.

Comment by Nan G — April 28, 2012 @ 10:19 pm - April 28, 2012

3. I can’t get past all the Torah legislation about caring for the poor, widow, orphan, and foreigner.

His comments aren’t just wrong – they’re completely incoherent.

Comment by Rick67 — April 28, 2012 @ 10:27 pm - April 28, 2012

4. Yeah, but if you criticize Muslims, they’ll fight back and your “tolerant” leftist friends will call you a bigot. You can bash Christians all you want, though, and the worst they’ll do is pray for you.

Comment by V the K — April 28, 2012 @ 10:29 pm - April 28, 2012

5. And of course, we must not forget that the Obama Party whose grip is on the chains around the neck of Dan Savage, Evan Hurst, and their supporters like Kathy Baldock and John Shore openly funds such governments that stone women and hang gays now in direct defiance of Congress, particularly the Republican-controlled House.

But again, V the K, it’s like you pointed out; these people are cowards. They only attack people who are disinclined to fight back, like Christians.

Which, ironically, makes them bullies by their own definition.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 28, 2012 @ 10:52 pm - April 28, 2012

6. Nan G, I know you mean well but your statement that “nothing under the Mosaic Law still applies to Christians” is just plain wrong. Prohibitions on adultery, bestiality, incest, prostitution are part of the Mosaic Law. Are those prohibitions no longer applicable to Christians? And as Rick67 alluded to, “Torah legislation”, i.e. the Mosaic Law, commands us to care for the poor, widows, orphans, and foreigners. Do those commands not apply to Christians? Your sweeping statement says no, they don’t. Nan G, you say you’re a Christian and I believe YOU believe you really are. However, you appear to adhere to a liberal interpretative model that says Scriptural teaching is authoritative only when it complies with modern beliefs, attitudes, and sensibilities. That tells me that, like so many of today’s Christians, your true religion is modernity, not Biblical faith.

Comment by Seane-Anna — April 29, 2012 @ 12:01 am - April 29, 2012

7. except, of course, savage was not talking about muslims or other countries. he was referring to the fact that anti-gay constitutional amendments are being passed in the united states, largely because of arguments, based on biblical admonitions against homosexuality, made by people who show no inclination to pass amendments based on other biblical admonitions.

Comment by el polacko — April 29, 2012 @ 1:04 am - April 29, 2012

8. Isn’t it hilarious how we get back-to-back bigotry from both el polacko and Seane-Anna, telling us how we’re bad Christians because we don’t do exactly what they think the Bible tells us we should?

And even more entertainingly, both of them make the same fundamental error in regard to Mosaic law. Galatians 2 and 3 make their errors plainly visible — and indeed, illuminate how both of them are lying and twisting the interrelationship between Law and Gospel to suit their own selfish needs.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 29, 2012 @ 2:33 am - April 29, 2012

9. You are too kind, he wasn’t confused, he probably loves him some Muslims and their anti Bible ways. Btw, as a Jew I can tell you, these rules are in the Bible, but the degree of proof was such that if a person was put to death once in 70 years – that was considered a hanging court. what the asshole neglected to mention was these may have been laws in the Bible, but there had to be a court of justice to administer them, and no one forced said court to use the extreme punishment. They rarely did. We know this from the Talmud, the long tractates written over hundreds of years, where Rabbis discussed in length the rules of law and the lay of the land at the time.
    So it’s easy for that evil asshole (yeah, I’m a mean conservative, I bully by name calling), to twist and distort history cuz it suits his purposes.

Comment by Leah — April 29, 2012 @ 11:34 am - April 29, 2012

10. I think while Dan Savage was deep-throating one of the doorknobs at Gary Bauer campaign headquarters, someone came through the other and hit him in the face with the door. He would have died, but instead, the blow just knocked out the parts of his brain capable of irony and self-awareness.

Comment by V the K — April 29, 2012 @ 11:41 am - April 29, 2012

11. Oh dear, Leah….as a good Catholic boy who speaks more Yiddish than my Orthdodox friend from NY says her kids can and who ADORES all things Jewish, I LIKE YOU! Thanks for the post…

Comment by Bastiat Fan — April 29, 2012 @ 11:43 am - April 29, 2012

12. #6 Seane-Anna, you wrote:

All true.
    BUT all those things* also were prohibited by God to all people from BEFORE the Mosaic Law came into being.
    Thus they were unacceptable to all humans even later, when the Mosaic Law was allowed to pass away, replaced by Jesus’ sacrifice.

*I’m a bit hazy on incest.
    Seems Brother-in-law marriage was part of Mosaic Law.
    And cousins married, too.
    VERY CLOSE relatives, like brothers and sisters were prohibited however.

Comment by Nan G — April 29, 2012 @ 12:57 pm - April 29, 2012

13. The posters on this site never cease to amaze me. You never miss an opportunity to defend the very class of people (anti-gay conservative Christians) who would gladly eliminate you from society if the opportunity arose. I really could care less about Muslim homophobia – it’s a complete non-issue in the United States, where Muslims are (at most in isolated enclaves) 1% of the population. Show me the hordes of fire-breathing Muslim preachers wanting to amend my state constitution to make me a second-class citizen and I will be concerned. In the United States it is CHRISTIANS who are doing this, and you people gladly defend them! What, exactly, do you hope to gain from this boot-licking behavior? Do you think the Christian Right would actually spare you if they ever managed to create the theocracy they all dream of in this country? As far as they are concerned you conservative gays are every bit as much of a dangerous degenerate as us liberal ones. (That is if anyone posting on this blog is actually gay – I’m convinced about 99% of the comments here are from straight people.)

Comment by Senatus — April 29, 2012 @ 1:52 pm - April 29, 2012

14. I was unaware that the children Dan Savage spewed his bile on were “Anti-gay Christians.” Senatus. Also have to laugh at your ‘theocracy’ delusions.

But hey, if you want to cry and play the victim, knock yourself out.

Comment by The_Livewire — April 29, 2012 @ 2:55 pm - April 29, 2012

15. Senatus, please do tell, which are the countries where gays live more comfortably and have more chances to see their whims accepted? Japan (shinto/buddhist country), Iran (muslim country), Soviet Union/North Korea (atheist country)?

I know that for gays like you it is an anathema to try to give credit to the people you despise the most but the simple truth is that gays can only thrive in Christian majority countries. Good luck in moving to a non-christian country and live a carefree life like you do in the USA.

Oh and PS: don’t be so sure that Muslims are not a threat. Amsterdam is becoming unsafe for gays because of uncontrolled muslim immigration and they multiply. I doubt that gays can outnumber them, your only hope is that christians will always outnumber the rest. Sad but true.

Comment by Susan — April 29, 2012 @ 3:10 pm - April 29, 2012

16. Senatus, It so happens that I have two male relatives who are gay. They are dedicated, hard working, lovable men, unfortunately one of them died a few months ago from cancer, the other has done well for himself. They were and are a much loved part of our family. I say all this because I want you to know that although I do not understand same sex attraction it is not my place to judge. However, I do believe more people should learn to respect others if they want respect. If I were gay I would much rather take my chances with a group of Christians that a group of Muslims. As a matter of fact, as a woman I would much rather take my chances with a group of Christians. Anyone who is gay and does not fear Islam is deceiving themselves.

Comment by akumaleva — April 29, 2012 @ 4:11 pm - April 29, 2012

17. Do you think the Christian Right would actually spare you if they ever managed to create the theocracy they all dream of in this country?

We were supposed to believe that Bush created the theocracy. What happened to that, dumbass?

Comment by TGC — April 29, 2012 @ 4:21 pm - April 29, 2012

18. Leftist gays like Senatus are forever claiming that the election of any conservative Christian Republican anywhere will lead to the imposition of a theocracy and en extermination of teh gheys. How dumb do you have to be to fall for this BS election after election after election?

Comment by V the K — April 29, 2012 @ 4:56 pm - April 29, 2012

19. I must live in a parallel universe. Then again, I don’t haul around a pity pot as a burden. *shrug*

Comment by jaliranchr — April 29, 2012 @ 4:58 pm - April 29, 2012

20. I also begin to think the leftist definition of ‘Theocracy’ is a society in which people aren’t afraid to male moral distinctions between right and wrong.

Comment by V the K — April 29, 2012 @ 5:04 pm - April 29, 2012

21. You never miss an opportunity to defend the very class of people (anti-gay conservative Christians) who would gladly eliminate you from society if the opportunity arose.

It seems to me that devout Christians are among the least likely people to commit genocide, because they strongly believe in the sanctity of life. Sorry, your fears of genocide at the hands of conservative Christians are baseless and I’m not sure how any sane person could actually believe them.

Again, here’s this “second class citizen” nonsense. Not having the government recognize your relationship does not make you a second class citizen.

Senatus, you continue to spew the nonsensical idea that all gay people must view things in exactly the same way. I defend non-statist social conservatives because I am not afraid of them (and I don’t know why I would be), and I agree with some of what they believe. And that is because, although I am gay, I have other qualities too. For example, I believe in morality and standards. It is not difficult or contradictory for a gay person to see the wisdom in those things. And I am confounded as to why it would be. In fact, I consider my sexual orientation in exactly none of my beliefs, because who I am sexually attracted to has no relevance whatsoever to my beliefs. Sexuality is emotional and hormonal and beliefs are intellectual; they have absolutely nothing to do with each other. And you are deluded if you think Christians are actually a threat. I would much rather live in Utah, for example, than some gay village. And that is because the morality of Utah’s culture (which exists because of religion) has created a much better society in my view than the lack of morality in gay villages.

Comment by Rattlesnake — April 29, 2012 @ 5:21 pm - April 29, 2012

22. Has anyone on here actually seen the video? I thought this was kind of incessant too, until I watched what he actually said and what they walked out on.

He said that if the Bible could be wrong on things like slavery and shellfish, we should be open to the possibility that it was wrong on homosexuality. To me, if a student journalist can’t possibly be open to statements like that, I have no clue why they’re in the profession. Part of life and the First Amendment is hearing different viewpoints. I have no clue how they are supposed to work in the real world if this offends them…

I’ve seen and heard plenty of offensive things in my lifetime, and only things involving absolute gore or torture have I ever walked out on. They are pansies if this causes them to walk out.

Comment by Tim in MT — April 29, 2012 @ 5:57 pm - April 29, 2012

23. Unfortunately, in this case, Savage makes a good point. Evangelicals pound the Bible and the Roman Church stands on apostolic authority in their opposition to the gay lifestyle. There is a cafeteria mentality which causes hypocrisy in both both sectors. The latter is opposed to the death penalty, even though the Bible authorizes the state to implement it. Bill O´Reilly shocked me when he said he opposes the death penalty because the church opposes it. Yet in Leviticus 19:28, the children of God are prohibited from having tattoos. What would the reaction be if preachers preached against tattoos? Besides a good laugh, if those ministers had a professional sports player, a member of the armed forces, and just about any profession under the sun, in their congregation I´d bet they would leave and offerings would drop. Demonstrations in front of tattoo parlors would be supported less than at abortion mills. Also, it is prohibited for a man to have sexual relations with his wife/woman during her period. I am told that conception can´t take place during that period. It´s just that gays/lesbians get under their skin.

The other day, I sent Dan an article from a blog called Godfather.com. The article is entitled Another Reason Why Romney Will Lose. He claims social conservatives will not vote for Mitt because of his appointment of Richard Grennell. The appointment offends evangelical Christians.

Comment by Roberto — April 29, 2012 @ 6:00 pm - April 29, 2012

24. Yes, Tim, I watched it. You don’t seem to grasp that this was a HS audience, not a college one. Very few of those kids will pursue a career in journalism, but they work on school papers, the yearbooks, and the mass media in their school. They had no obligation to sit through that. This is another of those bogus arguments I keep seeing from people defending Savage — and it is bunk.

I was one of those HS kids years ago and I attended those seminars. They were supposed to be instructional and inspiring. What, pray tell, was instructional or inspiring about that biased rant? I still hold the sponsors of that seminar in contempt for not stopping it once the profanity flew. There is no place, nor any excuse for that when making a presentation to HS students.

Comment by jaliranchr — April 29, 2012 @ 6:07 pm - April 29, 2012

25. If Dan Savage is really all about preventing gay teen suicide, it is difficult to see how antagonizing and insulting Christians advances this goal.

The reason leftists don’t see anything wrong with Savage’s remarks is because they agree with them.

Comment by V the K — April 29, 2012 @ 6:59 pm - April 29, 2012

26. Supposed ND30 stood up before an audience of gay teenagers and told them that gay activists opposed closing bath houses during the AIDS Crisis because anonymous promiscuous sex was more important to them than saving lives. Also, NAMBLA was excluded from Gay Pride parades only after they became a public relations headache (not a moral issue) for gay activist leadership.

Comment by V the K — April 29, 2012 @ 7:07 pm - April 29, 2012

27. The latter is opposed to the death penalty, even though the Bible authorizes the state to implement it. Bill O´Reilly shocked me when he said he opposes the death penalty because the church opposes it.

Common misconception.

Catholics are not opposed to the death penalty, inasmuch as they fully recognize and support the right of the state to implement it.

What they question is whether or not it is still necessary in our modern age, as we see here from the Catechism:

If bloodless means [that is, other than killing] are sufficient to defend human lives against an aggressor and to protect public order and the safety of persons, public authority should limit itself to such means, because they better correspond to the concrete conditions of the common good and are more in conformity to the dignity of the human person (#2267)

In short, Catholics support the use of the death penalty if there is no other option to save lives. If there are, then the primacy of protecting life becomes paramount. The current position of the Catholic Church is that there ARE other options, and that those should be used instead.

One, Christianity and Judaism are about doing what is right, not what is popular or will bring in more donations/publicity.

Two, Paul spoke directly to this issue concerning the Levitical strictures in Galatians 2 and 3, in which he made it clear that these were not necessary for salvation; ironically, he also warned against those who would use compliance with the Levitical strictures to force Christians into slavery, which I think nicely describes the Dan Savages of the world.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — April 29, 2012 @ 7:18 pm - April 29, 2012

28. Christianity and Judaism are about doing what is right, not what is popular or will bring in more donations/publicity.

Thet is exactly the faultline between religious and secular culture. Religion teaches immutable truth. Secularists believe 4+4 can equal 9 if enough people are willing to say so.

Comment by V the K — April 29, 2012 @ 7:49 pm - April 29, 2012

29. ND30, how am I a bigot for disagreeing with what I perceive to be Nan G’s interpretative model, as you say I am in your comment at #8? You disagree with my view so, by your own standard, that makes you a bigot, too. Come on! You’re better than that, ND30. If you want to see real bigotry take a look at Senatus’ rant at #13.

What I objected to in Nan G’s comment was her claim that NOTHING (my emphasis) in the Mosaic Law applies to Christians anymore. “Nothing” is an all inclusive word, and I tried to make that point by pointing out some of the clearly necessary Mosaic prohibitions and commands that Christians could reject according to Nan G’s sweeping view. I was also trying to make the point that Christians must guard against playing the the-Law-has-been-done-away-with card in order to avoid obeying teachings they don’t like or are unpopular with the culture. None of that makes me a bigot; it just makes me someone with an opinion different from Nan G’s and yours.

Get a grip, ND30.

Comment by Seane-Anna — April 29, 2012 @ 10:04 pm - April 29, 2012

30. As a Christian I am always amazed how often people like Savage forget the fact that nothing under the Mosaic Law still applies to Christians.
    Only a few things that PRE-DATED that Law apply.

What applies to Christians is the Sheva Mitzvot B’Nei Noach (Laws of the Sons of Noah)

Comment by Michael Ejercito — April 29, 2012 @ 10:25 pm - April 29, 2012

31. Part of life and the First Amendment is hearing different viewpoints.

We all have the right to free speech. Nobody has the right to be heard. Perhaps it wasn’t the content of what he was saying at that moment and could have been that they just wanted to walk out on the jackass and picked that moment.

Comment by TGC — April 30, 2012 @ 3:03 am - April 30, 2012

32. I really could care less about Muslim homophobia

Out of sight, out of mind, eh?

I find it interesting that the left loves Palestinians and hate Israel, but Israel is where gay Palestinians go to get away from persecution and the threat of death. If I recall, there was a news story in the last week about how gay Palestinians had to go to Israel to hold a pride event or something.

I also find it curious that gay liberals are positive they’re being persecuted by Christians and fear a theocracy that will put them in concentration camps, but they love oppressive regimes and Che Guevara, who have killed more gays than any Southern Baptist or Presbyterian has.

Whatever happened to those gay concentration camps Bush built in Montana, or wherever the hell it was, anyway? Were they liberated by ObaMarx’s father?

Comment by TGC — April 30, 2012 @ 3:14 am - April 30, 2012

33. I really could care less about Muslim homophobia

Once again, the left-principle of “I don’t care if people are getting killed as long as they’re poor and brown” shows its ugly head.

Comment by V the K — April 30, 2012 @ 5:58 am - April 30, 2012

34. Both of these statements are factual. So, presumably, the people who found Dan Savage’s tirade perfectly fine would have no trouble with these statements either.

V the K, I wouldn’t object to either of those statements stated by NDT or whomever to gay teenagers, or teenagers in general. For the NAMBLA one, some historical perspective may be helpful. During that time, there were (and still are) laws on the books where the minimum age of marriage was as young as 13, which is not a good idea if we want to encourage all teenagers to at least wait until adulthood to have sex.

The problem with Dan Savage was the vitriol that he included with his message, and the fact that introducing religion to any topic is tricky business. But he could have made his point by saying something like, “before you use the Bible as justification for believing homosexuality is a sin, keep in mind that there are other statements in the Bible that are also regarded as sinful, such as eating shellfish, etc., that most Christians no longer regard as sinful. Perhaps the Bible statements regarding homosexuality are also wrong and/or outdated” and pepper such a statement with using the term “bullsh&t.” That may not have been his purpose, but it sounds like what a lot of people heard Savage say was that the Bible is bullsh&t. Savage should apologize (if he hasn’t already), and stop undermining his own message if allowed to speak with teenagers again.

Comment by Pat — April 30, 2012 @ 6:36 am - April 30, 2012

35. 29.ND30, how am I a bigot for disagreeing with what I perceive to be Nan G’s interpretative model, as you say I am in your comment at #8? You disagree with my view so, by your own standard, that makes you a bigot, too.

Seane-Anna, yes, Bible interpretation does get tricky. It makes you question the stuff it says about homosexuality, right?

Comment by Pat — April 30, 2012 @ 6:41 am - April 30, 2012

36. In 34, meant to say “and not pepper such a statement with using the term ‘bullsh&t.’”

Comment by Pat — April 30, 2012 @ 6:44 am - April 30, 2012

37. During that time, there were (and still are) laws on the books where the minimum age of marriage was as young as 13, which is not a good idea if we want to encourage all teenagers to at least wait until adulthood to have sex.

Which reflect different cultural norms and relative life expectancy. When life expectancies were shorter and marriage was commonly accepted as being for life, younger marriages made relatively more sense. There is a huge difference between that social construct and giving NAMBLA perverts a license to serially diddle young boys.

It’s actually kind of disheartening that you would even attempt to raise that defense.

Comment by V the K — April 30, 2012 @ 7:50 am - April 30, 2012

38. Actually when doing some research about the mess that the 9th circus made of Prop 8, I found the age of consent in California at one point was 10. From what I read of the decision, the 9th circut wants that again.

Comment by The Livewire — April 30, 2012 @ 7:55 am - April 30, 2012

39. V the K, it’s not a defense at all. It was and still is wrong for adults to diddle children. And it was inexcusable for NAMBLA to be allowed to march in the parades. You talk about how the culture was in the past for allowing young marriages. That may well have been the reason. There was a rationale back then since homosexuality shouldn’t be banned, then neither should pedophilia. It was bunk then, and thankfully, more people believe it’s bunk now. I obviously don’t like it when people compare homosexuality to pedophilia, and apparently, too many gay people were doing just that back in the day.

Anyway, I’ll accept the social construct back then for marriage, but the need for the social construct does not exist today. I find it horrific that adults have sex with children, and when it’s made even worse that laws allow marriage in those cases as well.

Comment by Pat — April 30, 2012 @ 8:08 am - April 30, 2012

40. NDT #27
    True the Roman Church has not made its opposition to the death penalty a matter of doctrine but Pope John Paul II and Benedict XVI are using the bully pulpit of ecclesiastical authority to dliseminate its position. Obedient Catholics like Bill O´Reilly accepts the Church´s position. He schmoozes with Cardinal Dolan. Gov. Dan Malloy, a Roman Catholic, as prosecutor was in favor of the death penalty but signed into law abolishing it as Governor. Catholics are flip flopping

As a retired person I live in El Salvador, a country about the size of Los Angeles County with one third the population of said county. From 2005 to date I have seen the homocide rate go from five per day to fourteen per day. Comments on the news articles in the internet versions of the two major dailies urge the National Assmbly (unicameral) to reform the Constitution to implement the death penalty. The majority of the people want it. Archbishop Alas Escobar says the Church opposes. Mainstream Protestants and Evangelical ministers, who consistently support the radical left FMLN, also oppose it. The deputies in the Assembly fear the clergy. Also human rights groups here and around the world, which has a left wing agenda, also oppose the death penalty while supporting a woman´s right to abort. Speaking of Paul, I think he would look upon those clerics as pleasing men should not be a servant of God, Ephesians 1:10. St. Thomas Aquinas whose Summa Theologica formed the body of Roman theology supported the death penalty and a just war. Thomas believed that the Commandment is not Thou shalt not kill but Thou shalt do no murder. Think about it. We kill cow, pigs, chickens, and in some places dog. If we were to take that commandment literally we´d all be vegetarians. In the OT offerings for breach of the law required a meat offering for which the animal had to be killed or sacificed. The Jews had to kill a lamb for the Passover, the remembrance of which no uncircumcised person (gentile) may participate.

You say Judaism and Christianity is about doing what is right and not etc. Are you saying that tattoos are right and it´s right that heterosexual men take a little bath blood? And what about Astrology, we don´t hear about it either, even though prohibited Leviticus 19:26 and Deuteronomy 18:10-12. Horoscopes are big business. it must be right. If so, the churches should end its opposition to the gay and lesbian lifestyle. Being gay is right for me.

As for Galatians, when I was in seminary I had to translate it from the greek. Although I no longer have my Greek New Testament I have a few notes on it. Paul is kind of selective. in 3:7-9, the faithful, are the same as the children of Abraham. As such all the blessing in th Old Testament apply to Christians. But by faith and Christ´s redemption the faithful are relieved of the curses from the law. So we now get the goodies but not the baddies.

Comment by Roberto — April 30, 2012 @ 2:38 pm - April 30, 2012