Did Ike fault Stevenson for failing to spearhead D-day?

Can you imagine“, a 101st Airborne Vietnam vet writes to the Weekly Standard‘s Geoffrey Norman . . .

. . . Ike saying, “I pulled the trigger on D-Day but Stevenson never would have had the guts to do that”?  Or Truman saying, “I dropped the bomb, and Dewey wouldn’t have”?  The response from men in that day and age would have been “Shut up and act like a man.”  And there is the irony: What Obama and his campaigners are doing to bolster the public’s perception of him as a strong president is something that would have had the exact opposite effect 50 years ago.

Read the whole thing.  Via Powerline Picks.

1. For that matter, can you imagine Bush saying “I got Saddam, after consulting bravely with -my- intelligence community…” Once more, what Obama said:

“I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority . . . even as I continued our broader effort. . . . Then, after years of painstaking work by my intelligence community I was briefed . . . I met repeatedly with my national security team . . . And finally last week I determined that I had enough intelligence to take action. . . . Today, at my direction . . .”

I’m ready to sum up. Obama would be what people call a Moe Ron: that guy out there hot-doggin’, because he thinks He Did It.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 2, 2012 @ 10:08 am - May 2, 2012

2. Let’s go to the videotape, folks (see link below). Fortunately, your selective memory is belied by, you know, FACTS, like Bush making the same precise type of contrast in the video below, and Republicans running in 2004 on basically the platform, hey, the Democrats just LOVE terrorists, they would invite them right in, but we’ve got Bush to save us (see the apparently hypocrisy-immune Pataki statement, again, in the video below)!

(And by the way, there IS one big difference between the Bush administration and the Obama administration when it comes to terrorism … one sat idly by, despite all sorts of warning signs, while the country was victimized by the biggest terrorist attack in its history, the other actually, you know, killed the primary person responsible. But of course, pointing out that sort of factual contrast is just OH SO WRONG AND TERRIBLE).

Comment by Jeff — May 2, 2012 @ 11:57 am - May 2, 2012

3. Jeff, We are glad that you are happy.

Comment by Ked — May 2, 2012 @ 6:05 pm - May 2, 2012

4. one sat idly by, despite all sorts of warning signs, while the country was victimized by the biggest terrorist attack in its history

but enough about Billy Clinton…

Comment by AF_Vet — May 2, 2012 @ 6:45 pm - May 2, 2012

5. And yet again (on this blog), a leftie Moe Ron makes his case with… something imaginary. Something that did not happen.

He can’t come up with an actual instance of Bush saying anything resembling:

… so instead, he links a ranting comedian’s imaginary ad. What the left-wing-ish comedian (and the left-wing Moe Ron) wish Bush had said. Except he didn’t.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 3, 2012 @ 11:27 am - May 3, 2012

6. (continued) And Bush had more than one occasion. I mentioned already when the military got Saddam. Another would have been when they got Zarqawi, or one of the other top Z-names.

The larger point, doubtless lost on Jeff by now, is that the President doesn’t do it; the military and intelligence “communities” do, after years of painstaking work. Jeff’s Dear Leader did as well as Jimmuh Carter and George W. Bush would have… which is to say, better than Clinton. Thank You, Dear Leader! You did your job’s basic requirements, there. Clinton might not have! :-)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 3, 2012 @ 11:49 am - May 3, 2012