A gay conservative blogger’s hunch on the Grenell Matter

As I wrote yesterday, I can often tell just from checking the spam filter when we’ve been linked by a left-wing site; the number of hate comments increases. And on occasion, when a conservative blog links us, we’ll see a slight uptick in the number of nasty comments from social conservatives.  (The last I counted the hate e-mails I receive, the former outnumbered the latter by a margin of about 19 to 1.)

There seems to be a link between gay conservatives gaining attention in the blogosphere and our volume of mean-spirited commentary.

This all caused me to wonder if maybe Richard Grenell experienced the same sort of thing, an increase in the volume of hate mail from angry left-wing gays and extreme social conservatives, hence his observation that “my ability to speak clearly and forcefully on the issues has been greatly diminished by the hyper-partisan discussion of personal issues that sometimes comes from a presidential campaign.

Just a hunch, but one rooted in our experiences as gay conservative bloggers.

1. Have you clued into the fact that I think the two of you are nasty bigots whose opinion is worth what’s in a catbox?

Comment by Edmund — May 5, 2012 @ 2:02 pm - May 5, 2012

2. Nope V, I don’t think he does. In fact, it’s clear he’s past the point of rational discourse. In fact he won’t even answer a simple question.

Aside, V, if you were struck by lightning and recovered from the jolt liking girls, and I had a hypothetical daughter of marrying age, I’d be honoured if you asked for her hand.

Comment by The_Livewire — May 5, 2012 @ 4:37 pm - May 5, 2012

3. Thanks, Livewire. I’m actually physically attracted to both men and women, but I feel a stronger psychological attraction to men; real men, anyway, not pansies.

One of my son’s friends was very, very gay in high school, then dropped acid and decided he was straight. He’s been dating girls ever since. Wonder if Exodus has ever considered that treatment.

Comment by V the K — May 5, 2012 @ 4:57 pm - May 5, 2012

4. Ok, now my brain is thinking of new lyrics to “Legend of a Mind

Comment by The_Livewire — May 5, 2012 @ 5:26 pm - May 5, 2012

5. Easy answer, Livewire.

Edmund needs to hate conservatives because that’s his only excuse for voting for racist morons like Obama.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 5, 2012 @ 5:38 pm - May 5, 2012

6. NDT knows my voting record, and therefore (by proxy!) I know LW and V the K’s sexual histories.

Wanna puke? Ask me about them. Kids, cats, hippies, moonbats. Car tailpipes, cons in stripes, lots of folks with lots of gripes. Girls, boys, old folks with toys, neighbors can hardly stand the noise. Gerbils, rodents, cans of soup, cell phones, Sharpies in their poop. The only group not present there was decent people with a mare.

Comment by Edmund — May 5, 2012 @ 5:51 pm - May 5, 2012

7. Yup, more insults. How pathetic.

Comment by The_Livewire — May 5, 2012 @ 7:07 pm - May 5, 2012

8. Yup, Edmund, I do know your voting history. Obama shill, pure propagandist, total lack of thought and intelligent research, as shown by your quoting a WaPo editorial written by one of Obama’s paid puppets.

Isn’t that coincidental? Paid puppet Michael Guest, who is a total slave to Barack Obama and does whatever Obama says, writes an editorial, it’s published in the Obama Party Pravda (aka WaPo), and talking-point shills for Obama like Richard R and Edmund start pushing it.

LOL.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 5, 2012 @ 8:10 pm - May 5, 2012

9. Cunt

Comment by Edmund — May 5, 2012 @ 8:49 pm - May 5, 2012

10. Edmund is winning hands down in the “How low can a degenerate go?” contest.

One four letter word answers are as enlightened and and ennobling as he can get, considering the level he has reduced himself to — all by himself.

He could be the warm-up act for the Dan Savage anti-bullying tour. He could bill himself as Mr. Sophistication. What a hit he must be with seventh graders.

Comment by heliotrope — May 5, 2012 @ 9:32 pm - May 5, 2012

11. Actually, this is the second time he’s used females as a form of insults, heliotrope.

I wonder why Edmund feels that women (in whole or in part) are valid insults?

Comment by The_Livewire — May 5, 2012 @ 9:34 pm - May 5, 2012

12. This has been the best meltdown since Chernobyl.

Comment by V the K — May 5, 2012 @ 9:40 pm - May 5, 2012

13. And…. Edmund is banned.

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — May 5, 2012 @ 9:58 pm - May 5, 2012

14. Hmmph, I’ll miss Edmund’s inarticulate rants, inability to answer simple questions when posed, and misogyny

Comment by The_Livewire — May 5, 2012 @ 10:30 pm - May 5, 2012

15. And…. Edmund is banned.

Cas, Cinesnatch, and Richard R. will be heartbroken.

Comment by V the K — May 5, 2012 @ 11:16 pm - May 5, 2012

16. I have been an opponent of banning, but now my views have changed.

Edmund came here simply to be foul and to make this wonderfully adult site into a a swamp of degenerate snarking.

“The first point of wisdom is to discern that which is false; the second, to know that which is true.”

—–Lactarntius

Too many people skip the first step and go headlong into selling what is false by accepting it as true.

When one falls into four letter name-calling as his wit and wisdom, you may rest assured that he is on the edge of having to admit his defeat.

Comment by heliotrope — May 6, 2012 @ 8:27 am - May 6, 2012

17. I honestly thought that Edmund had something positive to share. Got that one totally wrong.

Comment by Pat — May 6, 2012 @ 10:26 am - May 6, 2012

18. Pat, you suffered the bias of supporting someone who appeared to agree with you. No doubt Eddie has slithered back to GailyKos where he can brag of his martyrdom; being banned for “standing up to right wingnuts” and “Uncle Tom Faggots.”

Comment by V the K — May 6, 2012 @ 12:29 pm - May 6, 2012

19. I wonder if Rich Grennell shows up to dinner parties where he was never invited and desperately try to ingratiate himself to everyone. Obviously, that is what he has been doing. Rich – THEY DO NOT WANT YOU AND NEVER WILL ACCEPT OR WANT YOU! Either join the independents or become a conservative democrats. You will always be a fringe player at the gate. Even Romney didn’t go to bat for you and tell the haters off over the past month. Know who your friends are.

Comment by anthony — May 7, 2012 @ 12:28 am - May 7, 2012

20. Another fact free rant by a lib.

fact

Oh and let’s not forget what ‘conservative democrats’ say. Just ask Axelrod.

Comment by The Livewire — May 7, 2012 @ 11:15 am - May 7, 2012

21. Know who your friends are.

Comment by anthony — May 7, 2012 @ 12:28 am – May 7, 2012

Yup.

And this is what anthony and his fellow “friends” of Grenell are saying:

Timothy Kincaid

May 1st, 2012 | LINK

From Joemygod on 4/20 (just the first few, it goes on for pages)

* gay Republicans have the blood of dead teenagers on their hands.

* Grenell is just another self-hating gay deluding himself (and as many others as possible) into thinking the Rethuggist Party is the great gay hope of the LGBT community. Does he think we’re that stupid to believe their BS?

* as far as Im concerned this guy wrking for Romney is a TRAITOR!

* I’m convinced gay republicans are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome

* Ugh, he and GProud are just vile. Rich, usually white, fags who think; because they had a trust fund and went to college on daddy’s dime, being gay is a given and there’s no need to fight for anything. Pussies who have never had to fight for anything in their pampered little lives.

* Maybe he and Scott Lively will join forces and lead a discussion on Uganda when Romney delivers the commencement speech at Liberty University this spring.

From Towleroad on 4/20 – unlike Joemygod, Towelroad also had comments that were much more measured.

* Wouldn’t that be kind of like David Duke hiring a black spokesperson? A pig with lipstick is still a pig.

* F#ck him and every other gay republican.

* Another Quisling.

* Mikemick hit the nail on the head, the word of the day is “QUISLING”. Just a worthless piece of human garbage

Bilerico had no comments that were simply spewing hate

GoodAsYou only had one, kinda:

* Grenell’s just an unprincipled man looking for excuses.

At Pam’s House Blend it compounded like this:

* Tell me again why would a gay man be a republican?
    * The wages and gratification from sucking the life force out of the masses.
    * See also: Cohn, Roy and Beebe, Lucius.
    * Nail + head.

* Just another neo-mattachinistic accomodationistic “I have mine, too bad for you” elitist conservative–

And from above we have

* Grenell is a self-hating gay man.

Some “friend” you are, anthony.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 7, 2012 @ 1:34 pm - May 7, 2012

22. V the K, perhaps. But I recall the times he did respond to me were in partial agreement, if that. In any case, his comments started civil enough, but then it steadily degenerated.

Comment by Pat — May 7, 2012 @ 2:06 pm - May 7, 2012

23. Pat,

Much of what Edmund wrote, I was unable to unwrap, unwind, sort out and understand. Here he is @ #4 above:

There’s probably an articulable difference between the hate of a liberal gay who thinks of conservative gays as Quisling lapdogs and cannot understand the forfeiture of legal parity that you espouse and embrace (and yet still wants you to have that parity) … and the hate of a social conservative who thinks all gays should die in a fire before they go to Hell.

First, this is not a sentence. Secondly, it lacks a clear subject or a balanced comparison in its implied simile exercise. It is just babble. But it sounds like the accidental babble of a complicated mind going too fast or something.

If you found “partial agreement” I suspect you thought that somehow you and Edmund might be on the same page about something. But you were not really sure, because Edmund was actually fairly incoherent in what he wrote.

The narcissist bully who believes he is the smartest man in the room is the one least likely to accept a challenge and clarify his meaning. That usually stems from the fact that he is blowing hard and has nothing to back it up.

As to Edmund’s unwinding, anyone who has been around the unstable person who gets more unstable from frustration, alcohol, drugs, paranoia or whatever has seen this all before. Edmund is consumed with demons of his mind and he got to batting at them letting everyone in on the show. (If I recall correctly, I believe your partner is in the personality disorder business. Chat it over with him. I am not making a diagnosis for lack of credentials, but my work with alcoholics, the homeless, disturbed students, mental patients in the hospital setting, repeat offenders and just people along the way give me reason to look twice at what unfolded on this site.)

I will pray for his soul and that he finds release from what haunts him. What little we got to know of him may be only the tip of what he is really like when he loses control. That is sad to contemplate.

Comment by heliotrope — May 7, 2012 @ 4:45 pm - May 7, 2012