Why is it when you criticize a Facebook friend’s post defending Obama* . . .

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 12:57 pm - May 7, 2012.
Filed under: Blame Republicans first,Obamania,Random Thoughts

. . .  some folks respond by attacking Republicans instead of defending Obama*.

*or his policies.

FROM THE COMMENTS: Budding Economist and I have had similar experiences as indicated when he asks, “The second question is, why are we accused of being political for merely offering a rebuttal of the original, political comment?”

I have decided to avoid posting political pieces on Facebook, but have chosen to respond to friends’ political Facebook posts and sometimes get skewered not for the comment of my response, but for politicizing things. . . .

MORE FROM THE COMMENTS:  dot has also had similar experiences:

Bugs me too.

1. That’s because there is nothing defensible about Obama, …so they have to attack instead.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — May 7, 2012 @ 1:11 pm - May 7, 2012

2. The second question is, why are we accused of being political for merely offering a rebuttal of the original, political comment?

Comment by Budding Economist — May 7, 2012 @ 1:20 pm - May 7, 2012

3. What bugs me is that if you make a polite rebuttal to whatever lib talking point they have posted, then are hit with a personal character attack instead of a response to your rebuttal. It’s just really annoying.

Comment by dot — May 7, 2012 @ 1:35 pm - May 7, 2012

4. My comments are usually juat ignored or deleted.

Comment by AZ Mo in NYC — May 7, 2012 @ 1:58 pm - May 7, 2012

5. Politics and Facebook don’t mix very well. In my experience folks who post political stuff on Facebook don’t do it to engendered political discourse. When people post politics they are in effect saying: “See?!” “I told you.” “This is what I’ve been saying all along” etc.

Offering a differing opinion is like pissing on their campfire.

Comment by niall — May 7, 2012 @ 2:04 pm - May 7, 2012

6. My work place (standard disclaimer applies) wants to have an internal social media site. I’ve been arguing against it (like I have any control) because all it would take would be one poorly phrased work related question to make the board blow up.

So I sit back and wait for the explosion.

Comment by The Livewire — May 7, 2012 @ 2:11 pm - May 7, 2012

7. The same kind of thing has happened to me right here.
    There was a GayPatriot posting about Bush,
    I made a relevant but critical comment about Bush,
    and I got less-than-polite responses that tried to
    change the subject to Obama.

Comment by Tom1729 — May 7, 2012 @ 3:37 pm - May 7, 2012

8. It’s just really annoying.

Don’t feel annoyed… that’s what they want. (I know, easier said than done.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 7, 2012 @ 5:28 pm - May 7, 2012

9. Then I’m sure you can provide links to that incident Tom.

Comment by The Livewire — May 8, 2012 @ 7:55 am - May 8, 2012