Obama: Profile in Courage…. or Cowardice?

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 3:31 pm - May 9, 2012.
Filed under: Gay Marriage,Obama and Gay Issues

BREAKING FROM ABC NEWS:

President Obama today announced that he now supports same-sex marriage, reversing his longstanding opposition amid growing pressure from the Democratic base and even his own vice president.

In an interview with ABC News’ Robin Roberts, the president described his thought process as an “evolution” that led him to this place, based on conversations with his own staff members, openly gay and lesbian service members, and conversations with his wife and own daughters.

As I said on Twitter a few minutes ago…

I bet his supporters fighting for months to defeat Amendment One in North Carolina are real impressed that he let them hang out to dry until after the vote.  Charming.

Now you may all discuss…

-Bruce (GayPatriot)

UPDATE (from Dan): This headline may help explain things, Gay Money In This Election Has Replaced Wall Street Money.

UP-UPDATE (also from Dan):  This is a cynical move from a position of political weakness.  Will elaborate later today as time allows.

1. Yup, change of heart my foot! He needs your money and your votes!

Comment by Vera — May 9, 2012 @ 3:40 pm - May 9, 2012

2. There is no denying, no matter the rhetoric, no matter your politcal party and persuasion, that for the President of the United States to verbally approve of gay marriage is truly a monumental moment for gay people all over the world, not just here. The POTUS’s viewpoint carries weight like no other. HIs is a bully pulpit unmatched in the rest of the universe (misused by this President on too many occasions). Yes, his timing sucks. No I do not like him and will not vote for him. But I am not interested in hearing your “sour grapes”, pointing out the flaws in his timing, etc. That doesn’t matter right now. As a gay man who grew up in the 80′s, as a conservative Republican and a Christian, this moment is huge. I believe this will actually put pressure on GOP’ers to soften or change their stance, not to mention Democrats. It may even make it easier for a some to admit their support out loud. We’ll see.

Comment by Eddie — May 9, 2012 @ 3:43 pm - May 9, 2012

3. Eddie-

2 years ago I might have had sympathy with your position. Maybe Dan will.

But Obama has no spine, no principles and no moral center. He doesn’t need to say jack shit for me to feel good about myself or my nation.

He is not a leader, he is a follower.

He can bite me.

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — May 9, 2012 @ 3:47 pm - May 9, 2012

4. Eddie-Saying what he personally feels and signing an executive order are 2 different things and he actually said the states should decide so until that happens nothing to celebrate except that he agrees with Cheney, now let;s hope Biden can get “comfortable” about the economy!

Comment by PTown Patriot — May 9, 2012 @ 3:58 pm - May 9, 2012

5. This seems to be the one issue that Obama doesn’t want to “Federalize.” To me that’s his out so he can have if both ways. Support marriage, but don’t do anything about it because it’s a state issue. That’s not much to celebrate. I gave up long ago believing what any politician says so I don’t agree with Eddie that POTUS has a bully pulpit that’s influential.

Comment by Hunter — May 9, 2012 @ 4:08 pm - May 9, 2012

6. Now all we need is for VP Gaffe-o-Matic to say he sees nothing wrong with being a socialist. Then the ball would definitely be in Barry’s court.

The whole “historic moment” thing is dampened, of course, when you know everything he says and does is viewed through a prism of doing whatever it takes to get re-elected. There is no doubt in my mind that Obama would be continuing his “evolving” in silence had the Veep not had another of his senior moments and forced the prez’s hand.

There’s also no doubt in my mind that Mr. Biden will soon be about as accessible as Casey Anthony for the next few months.

Comment by jimmy — May 9, 2012 @ 4:10 pm - May 9, 2012

7. LOL jimmy!!!!

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — May 9, 2012 @ 4:24 pm - May 9, 2012

8. Hey V, does this mean, Oabama, will have to move the democrat convention out of NC in protest of yesterdays vote? Bwahahaha, Bwahahahaha, Hohohehehe…………………………….

Comment by Richard Bell — May 9, 2012 @ 4:25 pm - May 9, 2012

9. And to think, Biden got the ball rolling… I would like to know what the inside story was on all this, but I think it is possible that POTUS just got rolled by his VP…

Comment by Cas — May 9, 2012 @ 4:31 pm - May 9, 2012

10. Gay Patriot is on record numerous times for criticizing Obama for having a less evolved stance on marriage equality than Dick Cheney.

Now that he’s coming out in suport of marriage equality, you spin it against him.

Classic.

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 9, 2012 @ 4:38 pm - May 9, 2012

11. Too bad Robin Roberts didn’t ask Obama why Federalism was okay for gay marriage, but not for healthcare.

Comment by GayPatriot — May 9, 2012 @ 4:39 pm - May 9, 2012

12. [...] Of course, he doesn’t intend to actually do anything about it.. in a rare bout of federalism Obama thinks this is something that should be decided by states.  Are there any other issues where Obama thinks the tenth amendment applies?  Even one?  The takeaways here are – Obama has taken the exact position of liberal darling Dick Cheney, and Obama’s “historic shift” changes absolutely nothing.  Obama’s position, far from being courageous, is actually quite cowardly. [...]

Pingback by Hypocrite in Chief | Lies To America — May 9, 2012 @ 4:41 pm - May 9, 2012

13. I never cared for the second Bush as president, but, had he done this, I would give him props.

Sour grapes indeed.

A little sweet to go with your bitters:

Kisses.

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 9, 2012 @ 4:43 pm - May 9, 2012

14. … I guess this means Obama ain’t Muslim …

LOL!

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 9, 2012 @ 4:45 pm - May 9, 2012

15. Gay Patriot is on record numerous times for criticizing Obama for having a less evolved stance on marriage equality than Dick Cheney.

“Criticizing”? Or “tartly noting”? There is a difference. To point out someone’s hypocrisy on issue X, is not to endorse any specific position on issue X. Also, who exactly did what you say – which writer? Long story short, a cite might help people understand what you’re talking about. Alternatively, you could just admit that you hate Gay Patriot were going to spin this against Gay Patriot no matter what, yourself ;-)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 9, 2012 @ 4:48 pm - May 9, 2012

16. As for Obama: speaking as a gay marriage supporter, I’m worried he’s going to give the cause a bad name. I think that Americans who are skeptical, but potentially friendly, may be a bit harder to reach, now that the discredited Mr. Obama is on the bandwagon. Put it this way: If this really is an issue for the States to decide (and I think it is), then the President should stay the heck out of it – period. And yes, I said the same when Bush waded into the gay marriage debate.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 9, 2012 @ 4:54 pm - May 9, 2012

17. (continued) So yeah, I’m consistent. Whether the President is pro or con, Democrat or Republican, I say the same thing: Mr. President, please stay out and worry about your real job.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 9, 2012 @ 5:00 pm - May 9, 2012

18. Let’s not forget that the Democrats don’t really want to solve problems. They want to discuss them when it’s to their advantage to do so politically, but when they have both houses of Congress and the White House, nary a finger is lifted when same-sex marriage could have been passed easily.

Comment by Dottie Laird — May 9, 2012 @ 5:06 pm - May 9, 2012

19. I think Allahpundit hits the nail on the head:

I used to ask whether anyone seriously believes O opposes gay marriage. Now I have to start asking whether anyone seriously believes O would have stopped feigning opposition if it was still a clear political winner for him to keep it up. His “courage” here, as in all things, is about his own reelection chances. If there’s anything for gay rights supporters to celebrate today, it’s the fact that popular opinion has shifted enough that even an opportunist as transparent as The One thinks it’s safe enough to take this position before a national election.

The president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own. But he said he’s confident that more Americans will grow comfortable with gays and lesbians getting married, citing his own daughters’ comfort with the concept.

Comment by Thulsa Doom — May 9, 2012 @ 5:11 pm - May 9, 2012

20. Good for you, ILC. And, no, I’m not going to cite the examples in the past. There are regulars on this site who know exactly what I’m talking about. And, if you want to play like they don’t exist or be looking out for newcomers who aren’t well-versed in GP history (or whatever else reason), then that is your choice. People who despise other human beings don’t “tartly note” things about them (i.e. Bruce in his feelings towards Obama). And, by default, out of their own lack of discretion turn themselves into hypocrites. I’ve relented several times on this site. In fact, I took a liberal to task on Twitter for her crass, disparaging remarks about Bruce and his mother which resulted in a public apology on a GP comment thread, (for which Bruce never acknowledged, to my knowledge). I don’t do such things for people I hate. But, I guess you can excuse yourself for carelessly suggesting such things without proof. Right, ILC? Because you’re just going to backpedal, casually laugh it off, justify saying such a thing, or insinuate what you said didn’t mean what was there. because you’re not really saying something when it’s crossed out, right?

And, no, marriage equality is not a state-level issue, as there are certain federal-level rights/privileges that state-level marriages afford straights. (i.e. receiving American citizenship through your marriage partner)

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 9, 2012 @ 5:13 pm - May 9, 2012

21. I still don’t believe BHO actually likes gay people but in this instance, the money is more important than his principals.

By claiming it’s a State issue, where it’s losing ground, he can take a public position that keeps the gay left in line while seeing his personal preference affirmed by state action. That’s what, 26 by now.

Comment by Other J — May 9, 2012 @ 5:15 pm - May 9, 2012

22. Once again, he voted “present”.

Comment by Mary — May 9, 2012 @ 5:16 pm - May 9, 2012

23. based on his past it’s only until the income stream comes from anothr source.

Comment by The_Livewire — May 9, 2012 @ 5:16 pm - May 9, 2012

24. Dottie @18: OUCH! That’s gonna leave a mark.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — May 9, 2012 @ 5:30 pm - May 9, 2012

25. Too bad Robin Roberts didn’t ask Obama why Federalism was okay for gay marriage, but not for healthcare.

Comment by GayPatriot — May 9, 2012 @ 4:39 pm – May 9, 2012

No need to – he said, plainly and clearly as he has all along, it is in his opinon a matter for the states. Nowhere in that interview or elsewhere does he propose endorse or condone it being a federal matter. Do t even try to bring up DOMA, that’s an entirely separate matter both in subject and in law.

Comment by PeeJ — May 9, 2012 @ 5:49 pm - May 9, 2012

26. Also, it should be pointed out that Obama now considers gay marriage a state issue.

That’s more than a bit misleading. He has said all along it should not be a federal matter. DOMA, because it involves the Constitution and the many states, and for other reasons, is clearly a different matter entirely.

Comment by PeeJ — May 9, 2012 @ 5:52 pm - May 9, 2012

27. Cinesnatch – #20….

Uh oh, you better tell Obama. He clearly said it was an issue for the states to decide.

LOL.

Comment by GayPatriot — May 9, 2012 @ 5:55 pm - May 9, 2012

28. Eddie-

2 years ago I might have had sympathy with your position. Maybe Dan will.

He is not a leader, he is a follower.

He can bite me.

So. Much. Bile. Son, that shit is going to rot you from the inside out. Apart from that, it’s not about you you you. Eddie’s comment sid nothing about making _you_ feel any differently. Indeed, it is becoming ever more clear that you don’t seem to have any feelings other than hate and spite.

Comment by PeeJ — May 9, 2012 @ 5:57 pm - May 9, 2012

29. Indeed, it is becoming ever more clear that you don’t seem to have any feelings other than hate and spite.

Hate and bile: commonly defined in the progtard dictionary as “dissent, emanating from people for whom we harbor hate and bile.”

Comment by My Sharia Moor — May 9, 2012 @ 6:10 pm - May 9, 2012

30. I’ve wrongly been called a denier and anti-science by some of my Global Alarmist friends. Well, in this specific case, I’m going fully on record as saying I don’t believe in “evolution”.

This is what he always believed, but as usual was too chicken to declare it.

Comment by sonicfrog — May 9, 2012 @ 6:13 pm - May 9, 2012

31. “Progtard”, really? Bless your pointy little head.

Comment by PeeJ — May 9, 2012 @ 6:14 pm - May 9, 2012

32. I don’t believe in “evolution”.

Okay. But let me ask you something: do you understand evolution? or, for that matter, climate science?

Comment by PeeJ — May 9, 2012 @ 6:16 pm - May 9, 2012

33. # 32…. Yes. And…. Yes.

Comment by sonicfrog — May 9, 2012 @ 6:22 pm - May 9, 2012

34. Cinesnatch #20: Yikes, chill.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 9, 2012 @ 6:35 pm - May 9, 2012

35. [...] Obama supports gay marriage.  I love this tweet from Bruce at Gay Patriot: First Obama co-opts the Bush policies in the War on Terror and now he co-opts Dick Cheney’s position on gay marriage.  Progress! [...]

Pingback by Obama Supports Gay Marriage « Canadian Rattlesnake — May 9, 2012 @ 6:41 pm - May 9, 2012

36. There are regulars on this site who know exactly what I’m talking about.

I’m a regular, and I don’t. Hence, my question.

I guess you can excuse yourself for carelessly suggesting… things without proof.

As a matter of fact, I meant to reflect back to you what seemed to be your course of action at #10: “carelessly suggesting… things without proof.”

But, leaving it open the possibility that you might have a valid point (i.e. something I missed on the blog – and I miss a lot what’s written), I phrased it as a question. A question you didn’t answer. Oh, well.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 9, 2012 @ 6:45 pm - May 9, 2012

37. And finally / FTR: When I referred to Gay Patriot, I meant the blog. (Not the person.) And yes, I do think you dislike this blog, or even feel some hostility toward it. So what? If I’m wrong, it’s my problem that I’m wrong. (If.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 9, 2012 @ 6:51 pm - May 9, 2012

38. Sure you do, sonicfrog. Suuuure you do. Really child, your transparency is amusing. Sad, but amusing.

Comment by PeeJ — May 9, 2012 @ 6:56 pm - May 9, 2012

39. Sure you do, sonicfrog. Suuuure you do. Really child, your transparency is amusing.

Wow, you’re condescending. Just because someone is skeptical of anthropogenic global warming/climate change, that must mean they don’t understand it. And I inferred from sonicfrog’s comment that he believes in evolution (in the biological sense). But, still, he mustn’t understand it because he is critical of Obama (or something).

Comment by Rattlesnake — May 9, 2012 @ 7:55 pm - May 9, 2012

40. Sure you do, sonicfrog. Suuuure you do. Really child, your transparency is amusing. Sad, but amusing.

Wow. You see all of ONE comments from me on this blog, and you have me all figured out? Without having the slightest bit of knowledge of my history here, any of my agreements and disagreements with either the Gay Patriot family of bloggers or my sometimes friendly or sometimes adversarial relationship with some of the commenters (ors) here, OR my background in sciences or my stance on such things as evolution, global warming, and God (I’ll give you a hint on that one…. I’m agnostic)… And yet you come in here and simply assume you know anything about me or my views….

I find that sad, and, not particularly amusing.

Comment by sonicfrog — May 9, 2012 @ 8:06 pm - May 9, 2012

41. sonic,

PeeJ used to post a lot in the comments here, but kept getting spanked in a non-consensual, non-fun way. Now that he thinks his President loves him for more than his checkbook, he’s come back in the mistaken belief that he can ‘gloat’.

Comment by The_Livewire — May 9, 2012 @ 8:20 pm - May 9, 2012

42. Apparently not memorable, either! :-)

Comment by sonicfrog — May 9, 2012 @ 8:24 pm - May 9, 2012