Obama’s cynical gay marriage move:
Trying to sell the Brooklyn Bridge to his gay supporters

Judging from my Facebook feed and anecdotal evidence from friends, many gay people today are celebrating their imminent procurement of the Brooklyn Bridge.  Expect them to soon increase their down payment toward that celebrated span.

This swoon, to borrow an expression from Jennifer Rubin, “will take up the political oxygen for a while.”  What exactly will this accomplish save to give gay Democrats, already eager to support Obama, a reason to really ’round the Democrat?  Will Obama do what he didn’t do when his party had majorities in both houses of Congress, work the phones and otherwise buttonhole legislators to overturn the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) — as LBJ did in 1964 on behalf of the Civil Rights Act?

Why did he wait until after North Carolina voters passed Amendment One to issue his statement?  Today’s comments, quips Christopher R. Barron, Chief Strategist and Co-Founder of GOProud are “cold comfort to the gay couples in North Carolina.”  Heck, he didn’t even cut a radio or TV ad opposing the ballot measure.

He even canceled a scheduled visit to the Tarheel State on primary day.

Wonder if this sudden change of heart had something to do with money.  A few weeks ago, Ed Morrissey noted that “Obama remains significantly off of his own 2008 pace of fundraising, and way under the Democratic donation performance of that cycle.”  And as Dan Eggen reports in the Washington Post:

Many of Obama’s key financial supporters are gay–including finance director Rufus Gifford and Democratic National Committee treasurer Andrew Tobias–and the campaign has regularly held fundraisers focused on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender donors.

A review of Obama’s top bundlers, who have brought in $500,000 or more for the campaign, shows that about one in six publicly identify themselves as gay.

It’s all about the money, friends.

Obama’s self-referential statement included no specifics about what he means to do. It, Philip Klein writes, “has no tangible policy impact — [Obama] still thinks the issue should be left to the states” — pretty much the same position Dick Cheney articulated in the Vice Presidential Debate twelve years ago. And I didn’t hear my gay friends singing hosannas then.

Some gay Democrats just need a token gesture to get all googly-eyed about a Democrat.  And the White House’s waffling words on gay marriage had caused much consternation among his gay supporters.  Simply put, the president moved to quiet a political firestorm in order to raise some much needed campaign cash.

Indeed, he “stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own.”  “But what if”, Jennifer Rubin asks, the states “want to ban it?”

She also noted how Obama personalized the matter:

The president said that “at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.” Me personally? There’s the cynical Obama still dancing, trying to signal to gay marriage opponents, I suppose, that this is “just” his view.

So, now, we have the president on record supporting gay marriage, but not putting forward any plans to make state recognition of same-sex marriages a reality–not pushing legislation to recognize same-sex civil unions.  As on most issues, all we have from Barack Obama is words.  And if you really believe he’s going to act upon these words, well, there’s a bridge you might want to buy in Brooklyn.

UPDATE:  Allahpundit questions the timing:

His base will swoon over this, needless to say — expect the mother of all leg tingles on “Hardball” tonight — but even as someone who agrees with him, I can’t get past the pure opportunism of it. In fact, fellow gay-marriage supporter Andy Levy flags this NYT tweet in naked disgust:

Some Obama advisers were divided on decision to support same-sex marriage, but concluded his brand has been damaged enough by hedging.

That’s what it was all about: The brand, plus the political awkwardness created by Biden’s candor on “Meet the Press” this past Sunday. I used to ask whether anyone seriously believes O opposes gay marriage. Now I have to start asking whether anyone seriously believes O would have stopped feigning opposition if it was still a clear political winner for him to keep it up. His “courage” here, as in all things, is about his own reelection chances. If there’s anything for gay rights supporters to celebrate today, it’s the fact that popular opinion has shifted enough that even an opportunist as transparent as The One thinks it’s safe enough to take this position before a national election.

Emphasis added.

NB: Changed the title to make it catchier.

UP-UPDATE:  Is Obama “gay for pay“:

President Obama announced his support for same-sex marriage less than 48 hours after the Washington Post reported that prominent political donors were threatening to withhold donations over the president’s position on gay rights.

1. […] gay marriage.  Dan Blatt, at The Gay Patriot, notes that scripture marches nicely along with Barry’s desperate need for campaign cash, some of which might come from a GLBT community that’s pleased that Barry’s finally […]

Pingback by Bookworm Room » Presidential Election 2012: Eddie Haskell versus Ward Cleaver — May 10, 2012 @ 3:08 am - May 10, 2012

2. In the words of ILC…

Imitation (even ill-conceived) is flattery.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 10, 2012 @ 5:29 am - May 10, 2012

3. For The Record, one thing that does *not* imitate me: Trying to bring in references to people’s personal situations/info (whether real or imagined) that the person hasn’t plainly volunteered.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 10, 2012 @ 5:36 am - May 10, 2012

4. (I mean, commentors’)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 10, 2012 @ 5:36 am - May 10, 2012

5. I have never done this before, but…

17. ILC: If you actually think Obama is “at war” with Catholic bishops, you sadly overestimate the power of the Vatican in this country. Sorry, but no one cares. Not even normal Catholics. Also, what does “FIFY” mean? Is that one of those terms that dorks with no social lives use on the internet? Sorry, I’ve been doing “outside” activities and can’t keep up. Must be the difference between having a paying job writing on the internet vs. commenting on websites as a way to waste the rest of a life…

22 or 23, @rattlesnake: income inequality. I know Republican men don’t believe in it, but smart Republican women do. The ones with careers. Ask them sometime. No, not hairdressers. I mean the ones who might happen to be your boss. They’ll let ya know.

24. @Sara: You are, wow, a moron. Wow. His Chicago church, which had nothing to do with Black Liberation Theology (you moron), is part of the denomination which is the strongest Christian sect in support of marriage equality. You damned moron. Tie your shoes.

35. @Mark, you’re one of the morons who still thinks Obama is Muslim? Dumber than Sara. That’s the saddest thing about comments sections at blogs like this. They just get more and more Palin as you go. In case you don’t understand, “Palin” is an English word for “stupid.”

36 or 37. @TGC: “citation needed”? You have Google. Don’t be a dumbf*ck. Look it up for your godd*mned self, you moron. That said, in politics (where I work, and you don’t) actions speak louder than motivations. Pander or not, the right move is the right move. Deal with it.

38. @ND30, most of the commenters here kind of hate you. It’s not just liberals. Really. You might have Bruce, but he’s kind of, um, excitable and stuff. I hope you’re not under the impression that you’re well-liked, well, anywhere in the world. Everyone is making fun of you, either openly or under their breath. Feel free to contact me on Twitter all the time, like you always do, where I always ignore you. One of these days you’ll find love, I just know it! (Ha ha, no. Not gon’ happen.)

40. @TGC Astro-glide? What the HELL are you talking about? I mean, yeah, I’m a top, so I buy it…

And finally, Cinesnatch: Why do you spend time debating these kindergarten drop-outs? I mean, I’m sure they passed with flying colors in Oklahoma or whatever backwater they were spawned from, but seriously. I live in the South, and I consider the parts of my town which fall outside the historic districts to be Off Limits, mostly because it’s strip mall white trash hell, but also because it’s, um, white trash hell. It’s much more edifying to spend one’s time with people whose lives don’t revolve around resentment of racial minorities and the fact that no one has asked them out on a date in thirty years (ND30?). Feel free to drop in on the comments section of an organization that actually matters (mine).

Comment by Evan Hurst — May 10, 2012 @ 6:44 am - May 10, 2012

6. dorks with no social lives

LOL 🙂 Evan, don’t throw stones there from your glass house. Too bad you couldn’t make a more intelligent response… oh well, your problem.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 10, 2012 @ 7:15 am - May 10, 2012

7. P.S. I will oblige you with a partial answer to your question, though. Evan they came out with this super neato gizmo. It helps people find things and stuff in seconds, when they’re just stumped and can’t figure out anything! It’s called Google. You could look into it. Cheers!

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 10, 2012 @ 7:22 am - May 10, 2012

8. 21. @theliveiwre or whatever, anyone who believes Obama wasn’t for marriage equality the entire time is obviously mildly retarded.

Only possible translation:

Obama was lying all along which he had to do because it was politically expedient.

Which leads to this only possible translation:

Do not take Obama’s words at face value. He is a manipulating, conniving demagogue who will use whatever means it takes to reach his end target.

Which leads to this only possible translation:

I support Obama and his duplicity, because he is my manipulating, conniving demagogue and I have no principled faith in representative democracy.

Which leads to this only possible translation:

Someone who thinks that the country is better off led by a merchant of deceit and chicanery is either a swooning, adoring captive of a charismatic or is “obviously mildly retarded”.

Comment by heliotrope — May 10, 2012 @ 9:03 am - May 10, 2012

9. Shorter Evan “I can’t ban you from this blog, but I can name call you and engange in smearing your character and anyone who might agree with you.”

Also shorter Evan “OF COURSE he lies. But he’d never lie to me. He told me so.”

Wow, I’ll admit, Evan’s more entertaining than Edmund. Just as dumb, but more entertaining.

Comment by The Livewire — May 10, 2012 @ 9:11 am - May 10, 2012

10. income inequality. I know Republican men don’t believe in it

Are you referring to income distribution or wage disparity? Given the context, the latter makes more sense. So, assuming that is what you are referring to, are you suggesting Republicans would establish mandatory wage disparity? Some people might think that the best solution to that is more economic freedom (i.e. free markets).

Why are liberals always preaching “cultural sensitivity” or whatever but then deride the culture of places like Oklahoma? I mean, places like Saudi Arabia are much more backwards than Oklahoma. But we must be sensitive of Muslims because their backwardness is part of their culture (or something).

Comment by Rattlesnake — May 10, 2012 @ 9:19 am - May 10, 2012

11. If I were Jewish and wanted to belong to the Nazi party, that would make me insane.
    The GOP has nothing to offer to the gay community. You need to admit that, instead of spinning every positive move Obama does to acknowledge our community. If you think is not enough. You might be right, but for God’s sake give him some credit!
    Why do you think the GOP is so much better in regards to gay issues than Obama? Are you aware that every state legislature has passed right wing sponsored bills denying same sex marriage and reversing sexual discrimination of gay people?, but you still think we should vote for them. I really don’t get your logic.
    Obama spoke against NC marriage prop, maybe not early enough or strongly enough. Grant you that, but to validate conservatives who were in favor and supported it. I don’t get it.
    Because Obama do everything you want, you will vote for the party that hates gays and will make everything it can to eradicate us. I don’t get it.
    So your logic: don’t vote for the guy who is trying, vote for the guy who doesn’t believe in our agenda.

Comment by George insane — May 10, 2012 @ 9:36 am - May 10, 2012

12. George, get some new lines. The old ones are getting stale.

Comment by The Livewire — May 10, 2012 @ 9:45 am - May 10, 2012

13. Gee, George, do gays not pay taxes, hold jobs, start and run businesses, oppose government waste and corruption, and support a strong national defense?

Well, we know you don’t. But that’s because you’re an Obama partisan operating under the Peggy Johnson Theory, aka “Why work for a living when you can vote to steal it from others instead?”

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 10, 2012 @ 10:03 am - May 10, 2012

14. And the really entertaining part, George: Obama Party supporters and paid operatives like Evan Hurst regularly slander gay conservatives and tell them to kill themselves.

Plus the added bonus of Obama Party gays calling for Republicans to be murdered.

That’s the Obama Party, and especially its gay supporters like you, George: obey the Obama Party or we kill you.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 10, 2012 @ 10:18 am - May 10, 2012

15. Wow! The monolithic gay community has been exposed:

If you are gay, you put the gay agenda first and foremost.

If you are gay and you do not put the gay agenda first and foremost, you are not gay.

Simple logic. Or, logic of a simpleton. Or something about logic and simple.

Comment by heliotrope — May 10, 2012 @ 10:22 am - May 10, 2012

16. WOW, was that a disco ball Obama threw out there in front us???!!!! Preeeetty ~~~~~whoa, the narcissists are out in force! They all think it’s about them, why in world do the sillies only care about one thing while the rest of your rights are being flushed down the toilet? Best wishes on that marriage, oh, have a great time on that honeymoon in the back seat of your car……that’s if it’s not repossessed before the ceremony!

Comment by jann — May 10, 2012 @ 10:54 am - May 10, 2012

17. If I were Jewish and wanted to belong to the Nazi party, that would make me insane.

Do Republicans want to murder gay people?

The “gay community” shouldn’t exist. Not acknowledging it is a good thing. I would much rather be treated as an individual as opposed to a member of some homogeneous, immoral “community.”

Comment by Rattlesnake — May 10, 2012 @ 11:25 am - May 10, 2012

18. Wait so lemme get this. George wants us to “vote for the guy who is trying.” But Evan says “anyone who believes Obama wasn’t for marriage equality the entire time is obviously mildly retarded”… which is a confession, not only that Obama is a big liar, but also that Obama HAS NOT BEEN trying, as he has spent all this time up to now cavorting with the anti-gay marriage side.

So we should vote for……… ???? Ron Paul?

Blue-on-blue violence… Pass the popcorn!

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 10, 2012 @ 11:36 am - May 10, 2012

19. […] evolution–maybe the least surprising flip-flop in history–is worth hearing. Here is what Dan had to say today. If you follow the link, you can follow Dan’s links to a number of […]

Pingback by Social Darwinism: Obama’s ‘Gay’ Evolution | therightplanet.com — May 10, 2012 @ 11:39 am - May 10, 2012

20. Apparently, you really do think Republicans want to murder gay people. That explains your Jewish Nazi remark. Of course, you are insane.

Comment by Rattlesnake — May 10, 2012 @ 11:25 am – May 10, 2012

George and Evan Hurst are only repeating what Barack Obama tells them to think, Rattlesnake.

It becomes hilarious, because we all know that liberal gays and lesbians like Evan Hurst and George openly call for the murder of Republicans and tell conservative gays to kill themselves. Sheer projection.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 10, 2012 @ 12:50 pm - May 10, 2012

21. Hi EH,

Also, what does “FIFY” mean?

I checked out the “gizmo” that ILC suggested, and I found that FIFY can stand for:
    1. Fify stands for ‘ Fit in (a) few years’
    2. acronym used in message boards, meaning “Fixed it for ya”. Most often used in quoting another posters work and slightly changing it.
    3. Free Information For You

So, I guess the answer depends on the context in which it is used. You’ll have to take an educated guess.

Comment by Cas — May 10, 2012 @ 1:55 pm - May 10, 2012

22. Moron? Why so nasty? Rev. Wright’s church is based on black liberation theology. If that church is for equality, I’m happy to hear it. Wright sure doesn’t like whites or Jews so I’m not a big fan.
    Obama said what you want to hear and I’m glad he said what he said. But Obama was for it, then against it, then for it – he’s dishonest and it’s hard to know what he stands for. That’s my only point.

Comment by Sara — May 10, 2012 @ 8:19 pm - May 10, 2012

23. Atta girls (let’s get used to it in case Romney wins)

I can understand that you may not agree with Obama on his economic, environmental and foreign policies, but what I can’t understand is why are you criticizing him for his stand in gay issues, you being gay and all. When the alternative is completely anti gay. And if you mention Dick Cheney once more, I’m pulling my hair. He is the only one. No one else, beside side dishes.

One silly comment was pointing out how Obama has changed his position from strongly against to pro gay marriage. Isn’t that a good thing for us? In this respect, he is better than Romney that has changed from pro to against. So how can anybody with a sound logic can say that Romney is better. I’m only talking about this specific issue.

And by the way, I pay taxes. You think liberal don’t pay taxes. I don’t mind it. I hate it when they are used for your wars!!
    Actually, my tax bracket is higher that Romney’s and I don’t have bank accounts abroad. Low shot, I know.

Comment by George insane — May 11, 2012 @ 1:57 am - May 11, 2012

24. Being a moron, no one wants to hear from me of course, but the blatant political use of the issue by Obama is off-putting to me even though it’s a good thing. It’s good he said it but why shortly before the election?

Because he doesn’t care about you or any of us. This is the same as the black issue, the Hispanic issue, the religious issue, and so on, he divides and conquers.

People care more about their own one issue than the broader issues facing the country. Catholics care about Catholic issues, gays care about gay issues, illegals care about open borders – my neighbor voted for a guy who promised him free teeth (which he never got once the man was elected). Obama is using this issue to raise money – he got $70 million from the gay community as soon as he said this. Is the gay issue one that money can buy? Or do you want your issue one that people buy into?

I guess Obama supports gays rights to marry but why did he go back on that when it was politically expedient to do so? The guy’s a phony.

Comment by Sara — May 11, 2012 @ 10:39 am - May 11, 2012

25. but what I can’t understand is why are you criticizing him for his stand in gay issues, you being gay and all.

You’re making the assumption that all gay people here agree with his stand on gay issues, which isn’t the case. Even those who agree with his stand are justified in criticizing him (see comment #68).

When the alternative is completely anti gay.

Wrong.

The point is, he supported gay marriage in 1996. Why would he later not support it if it wasn’t for political reasons? Later, he starts “evolving” on the issue, which is a cowardly position. It’s been 16 years since he first came out in support of it, and he had 2 years to do something about it after he was elected (and I believe he has support gay marriage the whole time, he just waited until it was potically expedient to publicly say so). He is being criticize for, among other things, not doing something to advance gay “rights” when he had ample opportunity to do so. I don’t get why you’re not upset about that, as well as at being “played like a fiddle.”

Comment by Rattlesnake — May 11, 2012 @ 6:21 pm - May 11, 2012

26. Being a moron, no one wants to hear from me of course

The moron comment came from Evan Hurst. If you’re not familiar with him, he is absolutely vile and has no credibility.

Comment by Rattlesnake — May 11, 2012 @ 6:23 pm - May 11, 2012

27. […] over at Gay Patriot asks the obvious questions and provides some even more obvious […]

Pingback by More on Obama’s About Turn On Gay Marriage.. | Sago — May 11, 2012 @ 9:35 pm - May 11, 2012

28. […] Dan Blatt, at The Gay Patriot, notes that scripture marches nicely along with Barry’s desperate need for campaign cash, some of which might come from a GLBT community that’s pleased that Barry’s finally came out of […]

Pingback by Obama’s Eddie Haskell versus Romney’s Ward Cleaver — May 17, 2012 @ 3:38 pm - May 17, 2012