When they had a majority, House Democrats never voted on repealing DOMA, yet now they’re campaigning on Obama’s support of same-sex marriage

On its website, The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) bills itself as “the official campaign arm of the Democrats in the House.”  And last night via a friend’s Facebook link, I learned that this outfit was garnering signatures in support of the president’s new stand on gay marriage:

That takes some cheek. Since a Republican Congress passed the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) in 1996, Democrats have controlled the House for four years, from January 3, 2007 until January 5, 2011.  Not once did then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) hold a vote on repealing that legislation.  Not once did she hold a vote on giving benefits to the same-sex domestic partners of federal employees.

These Democrats now praise Obama’s support of same-sex marriage, yet, when they had a chance to act on the issue they did nothing.

Something tells me that once the DCCC gets your name, they’re going to be hitting you up for campaign contributions.  Maybe this thing is all about fundraising after all.

1. And the never will. Because they know the large portion of Obummers base, who I shan’t name, won’t stand for it. They saw what happened in California, and they KNOW who voted for and against Prop 8. The Dems won’t intentionally cut their own throat by offering legislation that will offend a significant percentage of their base.

Comment by Mark — May 10, 2012 @ 4:04 am - May 10, 2012

2. Like I said, give Obama credit for not proposing an amendment against gay marriage. And for catching up with Dick Cheney after these twelve years.

But yeah, this is Shiny Toy of the Week – Gay Left Donor edition. In addition to being without substance, Obama’s move is self-contradicting: if gay marriage is rightly a matter for the States to decide, and I agree it is, then why should any President have any position? What about his “laser-like focus on jobs”?

So I’m wondering when he back-pedals. Obama is already in hot water with parts of the Democrat blue-collar Catholic base, over the Constitutional question of religious liberty. I predict that he hides his newfound love of gay marriage about… oh… September 3, 2012 (Dem convention in North Carolina).

As a gay marriage supporter, and as someone who doesn’t really like being proven right so continually in my looowwwwww expectations of Obama, I’m willing to be proven wrong. We’ll see.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 10, 2012 @ 6:04 am - May 10, 2012

3. Hey not to change the subject, but just because I was speaking of shiny toys: http://ace.mu.nu/archives/329131.php

I love Ace’s punchline: “Obama has rejected capitalism and its so-called ‘creative destruction.’ In its place, Obama offers fiery destruction.” :-)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 10, 2012 @ 6:09 am - May 10, 2012

4. Dan, I am as cynical as anyone when it comes to politicians. I do believe that Obama should have provided leadership early on, and state his support for same sex marriage, even if he was powerless to do anything about it. Actually, I was surprised that he publicly came out for SSM before the election. I really thought he was going to wait. I imagine he did so, because he thought it would be politically expedient to do so at this point. Perhaps we’ll find out if that was the case.

Yes, they are only words. And like Cheney, he apparently sees this as a states rights issue. So who knows how much action he will put into this. I say, let Congress call his bluff, give him legislation to sign, and see what happens.

Comment by Pat — May 10, 2012 @ 6:51 am - May 10, 2012

5. I am personally not for gay marriage; however I don’t have a problem same sex couple having all the benefits of a heterosexual couple.
    What I find absolutely disgusting is the opportunistic, dishonest and, shameful position of obama and his cronies, because it’s simply to get the votes of the gay community.

Comment by cali — May 10, 2012 @ 6:59 am - May 10, 2012

6. Mark, I feel like you were trying to hold yourself back from using a certain word that starts with N. Go ahead. You say it in your garage with Boomhauer, like, all the time.

Comment by Evan Hurst — May 10, 2012 @ 7:24 am - May 10, 2012

7. Burns you that Dick Cheney was 12 years ahead of Obama, eh Evan? Heh.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 10, 2012 @ 7:27 am - May 10, 2012

8. “Nancy boys” maybe Evan?

Burns you that you’re distracted by the bright shiny object and Dan keeps reminding you of it. Aren’t you?

Comment by The Livewire — May 10, 2012 @ 7:49 am - May 10, 2012

9. What word was that, Evan?

Oh, you mean the one that gays and lesbians like yourself use to describe black people who vote against you?

You know, the one derived from what you and your fellow party activists use to describe what you consider your property?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 10, 2012 @ 9:56 am - May 10, 2012

10. NDT, based on Evan’s twitter feed, he’s likely too busy insulting Christians and begging for Bruce’s attentions to read the links you post.

Comment by The Livewire — May 10, 2012 @ 10:05 am - May 10, 2012

11. The Democrats & Obama are desperate to campaign on any issue but the Obama Economy, job stagnation, high unemployment, inflation, ObamaCare, Dodd-Frank, & Porkulus. They cannot run away from their records.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — May 10, 2012 @ 10:20 am - May 10, 2012

12. Democrats didn’t think it was a winning campaign issue. Now, they are doubling down on stupid. The Democrats will lose BIG this election season. Not only will the public reject their handling of the economy, they will reject their pivot on cultural issues, which is the most cynical approach since Howard Dean’s “Gods, Guns, and Gays” ill-advised comment. Gay marriage is not a Federal issue, who has never issued marriage licenses, but I’m beginning to see more encroachment of Federal policies in areas where they should not be involved.

Comment by anon23532 — May 10, 2012 @ 10:25 am - May 10, 2012

13. It’s the priority stupid.

Unemployment is what 9, 10, 12, 15%.

Some folks would be happy living in Cuba if gay marriage was endorsed by the state.

Comment by Geena — May 10, 2012 @ 10:42 am - May 10, 2012

14. I wonder how Evan feels about Gawker equating Obama’s decision with protecting slavery. Hmmmmm…

Comment by GayPatriot — May 10, 2012 @ 11:02 am - May 10, 2012

15. I think “cheek” might best describe this blog, which has devoted over a half-dozen snarling, hysterical posts to this topic in less than 24 hours, and uttered not a word – not a single word – about Mitt Romney’s response and stance on the issue. Then again, maybe “sad” is a better term.

Comment by gbt — May 10, 2012 @ 11:03 am - May 10, 2012

16. I think GawkerSeriouslyWTF said it best:

“THIS. Also, f$ck you Gawker for click whoring. Again.”

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 10, 2012 @ 11:15 am - May 10, 2012

17. Hey, kids–

This latest Bright, Shiny Thing is about 2 things:

1. Fundraising; the Jooos aren’t coming through with the bucks for the malignant narcissist in chief, and he’s gotta find alternative sources of bribes…er, umm…campaign funds.
    2. The results of elections on Tuesday. The Dems got their asses handed to them and Obama is RUNNING SCARED. The Tea Party pulled off a MASSIVE victory in Indiana, a convicted felon in a Texas prison got more than 40% of the vote in the West Virginia primary against Obama, and the union thug-backed candidate in the Dem primary in Wisconsin got shellacked. None of these bode well for Presidunce Corcky McShortbus and his storm troo…er, umm…fellow Democrats.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — May 10, 2012 @ 11:31 am - May 10, 2012

18. John Azis reminds us of all that the Shiny Toy is meant to distract us from: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/guest-post-obama-embraces-gay-marriage

Caveat: no Romney fan, he.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 10, 2012 @ 11:56 am - May 10, 2012

19. Cinesnatch-

Your boorish behavior is what has become stale. If you don’t have any productive points to bring to the table, except constant attacks on Dan or I, then I’d like to ask you to leave.

Comment by Bruce (GayPatriot) — May 10, 2012 @ 12:05 pm - May 10, 2012

20. The Hollywood elite will be at an Obama fundraiser being hosted by George Clooney. Obama has got to give them something, and the majority of the industry favors gay marriage. He´s got nothing else to give them to extract the big bucks.

Comment by Roberto — May 10, 2012 @ 2:32 pm - May 10, 2012

21. Actually, gbt, we’re having fun with this story. As to Mitt Romney’s response, well, we may disagree with him, but he’s not pandering and he offers the same position today as he has throughout this campaign.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — May 10, 2012 @ 2:42 pm - May 10, 2012

22. Dan, I hope this doesn’t come across as an attack, but you wrote something in your last comment that I was wondering if you can expand on. You wrote “throughout this campaign” in the previous comment. Did you mean the campaign, or romney’s political career?

Just so were clear. This is not an attack. And if it comes across that way, I apologize and will try to be more aware in the future.

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 10, 2012 @ 3:01 pm - May 10, 2012

23. If the worst that you can say about Democrats is that they failed to act fast enough to reverse the discriminatory policy enacted (like virtually all anti-gay policies in the US) by Republicans, that is pretty telling.

Comment by Jeff — May 10, 2012 @ 4:55 pm - May 10, 2012

24. Actually, Jeff, the worst someone can say about Obama and the Democrats (maybe not the worst, but certainly much worse than this) is that Obama has been an incompetent and corrupt president, the worst in that regard since at least Jimmy Carter and possibly since before him.

Let’s see, there is Solyndra and the other venture socialist “investments,” Fast & Furious, failed foreign policy, failed domestic policy (i.e. the economy), and his divisiveness. That is only to name a few things. Anything he did wrong in his announcement of support for gay marriage is not even close to being as bad as any of those other things.

As others have said, this is just a “shiny toy” or a distraction from those other things; another in a long line of “shiny toys.” That is another reason why this announcement was politically expedient at this point.

Comment by Rattlesnake — May 10, 2012 @ 5:29 pm - May 10, 2012

25. Jeff, we’re used to Peggy Josephs like you, who think that all you need to do is vote for Obama and he’ll take care of you out of his “stash”.

Perhaps if you had ambitions in life other than mooching, you might understand the problem with Obama.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 10, 2012 @ 10:32 pm - May 10, 2012

26. @Evan Hurst, saying the word which starts with “N” in my house house now and when I was a child was a surefire way to get your head handed to you after it’s removal by one of my parents fists. It is NOT allowed in my house and for you to make the inference without knowing me, I find repugnant and disgusting.

So please quit foisting your beliefs upon others who do not share them and keep your disgusting comments to yourself.

Comment by Mark — May 11, 2012 @ 10:41 pm - May 11, 2012