Will Americans tire of the Democrats’ shiny objects?

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 3:48 am - May 14, 2012.
Filed under: 2012 Presidential Election,Media Bias

In recent days, the president’s strategy for reelection has become pretty clear; he means to distract voters from the anemic recovery as well as his unpopular health care overall, the nation’s debt and the impending insolvency of entitlements (not to mention his absence of solutions for the last two) by dangling bright shiny articles in front of a compliant media.

If voters decide the 2012 election based on Obama’s economic record,” observes the editors of the Washington Examiner, “he will lose.  And so the liberal media, as in love with him as ever, is helping him parade shiny objects to distract voters from that record.”

They want to make Mitt Romney appear so weird and out-of-touch that come November, voters will pinch their nose and vote for Obama only to spare us four years of Romney.  And so far, thanks in large part to a legacy media remarkably incurious about the failure of the Democratic Senate to vote on a budget for over three years or the Treasury Secretary’s acknowledgement that the administration has no plan to address the nation’s debt crisis, the Obama distraction strategy appears to be working.

This has led New York Times columnist Ross Douthat to ask “what this successful maneuvering is actually gaining the White House“:

The weaknesses it’s trying to exploit are real enough: the country is moving leftward on many social issues, and Romney’s mix of squareness and weirdness — the moneyed background, the Mormonism, the 1950s persona — makes it relatively easy to portray him as culturally out of touch.

But this would be a bigger problem for Republicans if the 2012 campaign were taking place amid prosperity and plenty.

In the end, people will likely look to their pocketbooks and realize how their purchasing power has declined over the past four years.  And they might just start getting tired of the endless distractions coming from our supposedly even-handed media that they may just tune them out.

Before our friends in the legacy media run after the next bright shiny object, they may want to talk to that boy who cried, “Wolf,” one too many times.

1. Again, the media and the elites in the Democratic party view the electorate as stupid. I’m not sure that they are wrong about that; I guess we’ll see in November. I have a hunch, though, that it isn’t, and that it will see through this ridiculous strategy and recognize what the Democrats/media are doing.

Romney’s mix of squareness and weirdness

That sounds like me.

Comment by Rattlesnake — May 14, 2012 @ 10:28 am - May 14, 2012

2. The Democrats, Obama & his inner circle, & the MSM are still stuck in the deep dark forest of ObamaLand; they are talking to themselves & not really interested in the real world.

Voters want to talk about ObamaCare, Dodd-Frank, Porkulus, high unemployment, high gas prices, inflation, yet Obama runs away from these important issues since he does not have the answer.

President Obama wants another Porkulus. He’s done.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — May 14, 2012 @ 11:13 am - May 14, 2012

3. Is America truly moving leftward on many social issues? I must be the outlier then, as I have been tracking rightward, and I was at most center left before. My eye opening event happened in 2008 when the Democrats crimped Hillary Clinton’s campaign in order to anoint the “once”. This made me re-evaluate my knee-jerk Democratic party support, and my political beliefs in general. I am a centrist at heart with some real conservative values at heart, and the ubee leftist tilt of the Democrat party has turned me off. The wackos who I thought were the fringe of the party are now in control. This will be the party’s undoing. A successful conservative government is now needed to force the Democrat party to move right in order to attract more voters. I do not believe that they are capable of doing so, thus they will cause their own demise.

Comment by nomobama — May 14, 2012 @ 11:27 am - May 14, 2012

4. Sorry about the Iphone related typos. The small screen and little keys are a pain.

Comment by nomobama — May 14, 2012 @ 11:29 am - May 14, 2012

5. Super voters (those of us who are engaged in the real world and actually vote in every election…local, state, and national) are not stupid and are not distracted from what our country’s real problems are. We know The Enlightened One is not the answer and will vote for Romney (some of us holding our noses to do so). However, those who only vote every 4 years (if that) are easily distracted by shiny new baubles and those are the ones we need to encourage to stay home.

Comment by Mary — May 14, 2012 @ 11:49 am - May 14, 2012

6. Universal Suffrage: It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time.

Comment by EssEm — May 14, 2012 @ 2:39 pm - May 14, 2012

7. “the Obama distraction strategy seems to be working.”

Comment by mixitup — May 14, 2012 @ 3:59 pm - May 14, 2012

8. People who read this blog are not the target audience for Obama’s shiny object politics. Voters who get their political news from Rush Limbaugh or NPR have pretty much made up their minds. Obama is going after mush-headed “low-information voters” who get their news from ‘The Daily Show’ or from thirty second newsbreaks in between episodes of “Dancing with the Stars.” Voters who don’t have a clue how the economy works, but can be convinced that Mitt Romney is a big meanie.

Comment by V the K — May 14, 2012 @ 5:43 pm - May 14, 2012

9. I also note Mittens, so far, seems to be running the first Republican campaign in history to acknowledge the fact that the media are his enemy and treat them as such. He also seems intent on not repeating the McCain mistake of refusing to respond to Obama’s attacks. (McCain apparently thought it was beneath him.)

They are treating politics as a rugby scrum and not a genteel round of backyard badminton; a refreshing change from past campaigns.

Comment by V the K — May 14, 2012 @ 6:23 pm - May 14, 2012

10. As I rub my eyes and exit the cave I must have been in, please remind me where and when any of the smoke and shiny mirror strategy has worked for Obama. From my vantage point in the back of the cave, it has looked like one failed attempt after another. But, I could be wrong. If so, I humbly appologize.

With pleasure, here and here.

Doesn’t matter what you call Obama’s strategy and whether you personally think it’s working. Fact of the matter is, Obama’s in the lead and has been for some time. Romney clearly has a problem here.

Comment by Serenity — May 14, 2012 @ 6:29 pm - May 14, 2012

11. . Fact of the matter is, Obama’s in the lead and has been for some time. Romney clearly has a problem here.

Funny, coming from a Brit, Amy. Not sure whether you’re a craven liar, or just some bitter Eurotrash who hates her own Empire so much, she can’t go two days without feeling the need to stick her own, uninformed, self-destructive nose into politics she can only dream of having a stake in.

Amy dear, give it up. You live in a socialist shithole. While your mourning is understandable, the Mocha Messiah cares not a whit for the fact that you live in a welfare state, save for what that douchebag can replicate here.

Of course, you may feel free to diddle yourself to sleep with fantasies of it being replicated here, but lying to yourself about how successful he is simply bullocks.

Comment by My Sharia Moor — May 14, 2012 @ 7:47 pm - May 14, 2012

12. Actually, polls have been heavily oversampling Democrats. Most likely, it’s a dead heat right now, and the current polls don’t matter since so much can change by November. I believe Jimmy Carter was up by 25 points over Ronald Reagan in May of 1980.

Comment by V the K — May 14, 2012 @ 7:52 pm - May 14, 2012

13. Serenity, I am sorry, but your links have absolutely nothing to do with “shiny objects.” They were nothing more than links to some person analyzing the map of our “57″ states and projecting Obama as the winner by counting electoral votes. One man’s treasure is another man’s junk. The real poll is in November, very similar to the REAL poll in November 2010 when Conservatives cleaned house from the local dog catcher to the senate.

The “shiny objects” I believe Dan was referring to were things like the “war on women,” the great contraceptive battle of 2012, and the most recent – gay marriage. By my estimate(among a bunch of other cave dwellers), Obama has gotten skunked. His only victory out of the bunch is the $15-16 million he rec’d from the hollywood libs, and the cash from the far left gay activists. psst – Serenity – he would have gotten that money anyway – but don’t tell anybody – we can keep it as our secret!!

Good try though. I know it’s tough backing a pathalogical lier and a pathalogical narcissist.

Comment by mixitup — May 14, 2012 @ 8:10 pm - May 14, 2012

14. Dead heat, V? A poll which tends to skew left gives Romney a three-point lead.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — May 14, 2012 @ 8:22 pm - May 14, 2012

15. BDB, Until the results are in in November, I remain a committed pessimist. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Comment by V the K — May 14, 2012 @ 8:26 pm - May 14, 2012

16. The TransAtlantic Twat shows her Medusa inspired countenance at #10.

Three cheers to My Sharia Moor for a delivering a lightning fast smackdown.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 14, 2012 @ 9:07 pm - May 14, 2012

17. @VTK – I’m working from not so solid memory on this, but I believe the Man from Plains, GA was up by as much as 10 just a month before the election, and 5-7 points just a week out.
    And we all remember how that one turned out.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 14, 2012 @ 9:15 pm - May 14, 2012

18. @My Sharia Moor: What the bloody hell are you going on about? Nothing you said responds to anything you quoted. If you want to address anything you said, I’ll respond to that.

Just like in 2008, right? ‘Poll bias’ is the last-resort argument of someone who doesn’t like what they’re seeing.

This, however, is what you should’ve started with. Yes, there can be huge changes due to various factors and Obama has not won yet. But right here, right now, I don’t see the good argument for betting on Romney.

That poll where everyone was predicting the Republicans would make massive gains? I’m betting you didn’t doubt the predictions that year.

Also his overall poll lead against Romney, which is all that matters in the end. Money is worthless in an election if it can’t buy you votes.

Dead heat, V? A poll which tends to skew left gives Romney a three-point lead.

Cherry picking. The second-to-last-resort. Please note that the polling average I cited accounts for that, as well as two other polls giving Romney a lead and one showing a dead-heat. Obama still ends up with a +1.4 spread as I type this.

Really now Dan, obsessing over individual polls is the quickest route to madness. Take a chill pill and watch the averages instead. If you’re right about this race, then all good things come to those who wait.

Comment by Serenity — May 14, 2012 @ 9:30 pm - May 14, 2012

19. Will Americans tire of the Democrats’ shiny objects?

Apparently not any time soon.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — May 14, 2012 @ 9:47 pm - May 14, 2012

20. Americans may tire of them, but dim English bints love ‘em.

Comment by V the K — May 14, 2012 @ 9:58 pm - May 14, 2012

21. Americans may tire of them, but dim English bints love ‘em.

I’m actually taking a relaxed view of this election, refocusing myself towards British politics outside of this blog, since that actually impacts on my life. Though I do know at least one American who can’t seem to get enough of the Democrats’ shiny objects (Hint: We’re in his blog post right now).

Comment by Serenity — May 14, 2012 @ 10:32 pm - May 14, 2012