CNN readily responding to shiny objects dangled by Obama campaign?

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 6:18 pm - May 22, 2012.
Filed under: Media Bias,Obamania,Random Thoughts

Given the small size of CNN’s primetime audience, I wondered last week whether we should fret too much about the “news” network’s bias.  Still, it does make good sport to take note of their bias.

Last night and again this afternoon, while catching CNN during the cardio portion of my workout, I once again found the network exploring an issue raised by the Obama campaign (though, this time, with surprising even-handedness).  Still, they were covering the specific topic the Democrats wanted to discuss, Mitt Romney’s record at Bain, rather than the broader inquiry we should be making — into Obama’s record in Washington.

Last week, I recall seeing lengthy discussion at CNN of Mitt Romney’s adolescent antics.  And that week, the Romney campaign wanted to talk about the debt the federal government has racked up since Obama took office.  Did CNN cover that story with any depth?

This got me wondering whether or not CNN chooses (more readily) to cover those issues the Obama campaign wishes to discuss and downplay those issues pushed by his likely Republican opponent.

I will not have time today to investigate this hypothesis as I’m about to rush out to hear one of the few grownups in Washington speak at the sacred shrine of freedom in Simi Valley.  As time allows this week, I will try to check the CNN website to see if their programs tend to follow Obama administration talking points.

1. Yes, CNN’s audience is paltry, but when you combine their viewers with those of CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, PBS, along with the combined readership of the: NY Times, LA Times, Washington Post, Chicago Trubune and Boston Globe, it represents a formidable platform that reaches a large percentahe of the American electorate.
    There’s still plenty of ‘shiny objects’ and ‘baubles’ to be dangled yet.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 22, 2012 @ 6:41 pm - May 22, 2012

2. Right on target, Jman1961.

Comment by Richard Bell — May 22, 2012 @ 8:46 pm - May 22, 2012

3. I may be overly optimistic (I’ve been known to be), but it seems to me like the majority of Americans are catching on: they’re not fooled or distracted by the shiny baubles so much any more. Witness the utter failure of the “War on Women” meme, or the “Romney abuses dogs” incident. It’s not working any more, folks.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — May 22, 2012 @ 9:09 pm - May 22, 2012

4. True, Bastiat Fan. maybe the tide is turning. Lord knows we need it!

Comment by Jman1961 — May 22, 2012 @ 9:16 pm - May 22, 2012

5. D’oh! I totally left out the “Bain Capital” debacle! I’m serious, Jman–I think the tide IS turning.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — May 22, 2012 @ 10:00 pm - May 22, 2012

6. How many people lost their jobs when Obama nationalized General Motors and shut down 1,600 dealerships?

Comment by V the K — May 22, 2012 @ 10:55 pm - May 22, 2012

7. Bastiat Fan: If you think you’re being too optimistic about the forthcoming collapse of President Pantload, ask yourself how:

1) In a closed Democrat primary (WV) a sitting President that we’ve been told is a combination of Lincoln, Reagan and Superman could only beat an incarcerated federal inamet 60 – 40? or
    2) In a closed Democrat primary (KY) a sitting President that we’ve been told is a a freakin genius the likes have never seen the inside of the Oval Office before beats someone name “Uncomitted” by a count of ~60 – 40?

You have every right to be optimistic about Americans waking from their once-every-30-years-or-so liberal bender. I know I am :)

Comment by AF_Vet — May 23, 2012 @ 12:06 am - May 23, 2012

8. Bastiat Fan: If you think you’re being too optimistic about the forthcoming collapse of President Pantload, ask yourself how:

Comment by AF_Vet — May 23, 2012 @ 12:06 am - May 23, 2012

9. AF_Vet, it’s simple. People in West Virginia and Kentucky are racist hicks. It has nothing to do with his performance on the economy. Nothing. (/liberal impersonation).

Comment by Rattlesnake — May 23, 2012 @ 2:05 am - May 23, 2012

10. Rattlesnake: I always forget about that…

{shakes fist at WV and KY voters} Dudgum racists!

Comment by AF_Vet — May 23, 2012 @ 2:31 am - May 23, 2012

11. “Sacred shrine of freedom”– please. Reagan was a politician, complete with the usual kinds of flaws that entails. Or do you think Iran-Contra was one of the USA’s brighter moments?

When I see the adoration of certain Republicans that goes on here, it goes a long way toward explaining some assumptions I see here about the Left. I get the impression you imagine Lefties loving their politicians as much as you love Reagan. Well, a lot of us don’t. They’re just politicians, and most of us don’t think they’re any better than just the lesser of two evils.

Comment by Tom1729 — May 23, 2012 @ 11:58 am - May 23, 2012

12. [...] CNN readily responding to shiny objects dangled by Obama campaign? [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Obama’s shiny objects may draw CNN reporters(but don’t generate much of an audience for CNN) — May 23, 2012 @ 12:25 pm - May 23, 2012

13. You’re probably right, AF_Vet. I just worry about the “October Surprise” I’m pretty sure we can count on from this administration….and the short memory spans of busy Americans who don’t pay enough attention.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — May 23, 2012 @ 6:41 pm - May 23, 2012

14. Rattlesnake and AF-Vet… You guys weren’t being serious about Obama losing Appalachia because of “racist white hillbillies.”

But the Atlantic is advancing precisely that hypothesis…

Comment by V the K — May 23, 2012 @ 8:55 pm - May 23, 2012

15. Tom1729, the Obama Party dictum is that Presidents, especially Obama, have no power to affect and are certainly not responsible for anything that happens in their term, which is always the fault of their predecessor.

So Reagan is not responsible for Iran-Cobtra, and it was Carter’s fault.

And if you object to that, you’re a hypocrite and a bigot who won’t apply the same standards to Obama that you do to conservatives and Republicans.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — May 24, 2012 @ 10:05 am - May 24, 2012

16. My emphasis added:

Comment by Tom1729 — May 23, 2012 @ 11:58 am – May 23, 2012

Well, that’s a crock right off the bat. The further left one goes, the more danger of pissing or crapping one’s drawers at the mere mention of JFK and FDR.

And if your second claim is true, Tom, then why do MOST people on the left engage so heavily in politics?
    Why do their (‘lefties’) solutions to virtually every real or imagined problem in society involve, ultimately, the government?

Points to ponder.