Was anyone arrested for criticizing W?

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 1:40 am - May 25, 2012.
Filed under: Bush-hatred,Misrepresenting Conservatives,Obamania

Recall that North Carolina teacher, now suspended without pay, who upbraided a student for daring to, as she put it, “disrespect” the President of the United States in her classroom.  She had told her class that it was “criminal to slander a president”:

“Do you realize that people were arrested for saying things bad about Bush?” she says of former President Bush. “Do you realize you are not supposed to slander the president?”

Oh, really, where does it say that in the Constitution?

Nobody, points out blogger Rhymes with Right, himself a teacher,

. . . was arrested for saying bad things about George W. Bush. In fact those who did so became cultural heroes — don’t you remember that “dissent is the highest form of patriotism” and that Cindy Sheehan was treated as some sort of demigod by those opposed to Bush and his policies?

Yes, even in the dark days when that supposed fascist reigned in Washington, people remained free to criticize the president and were often celebrated for doing so.

I wonder how many of those same people will criticize the North Carolina teacher for criticizing a student who engaged, to borrow an expression they might like, in “the highest form of patriotism.”

1. The poor North Carolina teacher is black, and she had an inferior public education. We have to give her the benefit of the doubt because remember, blacks are perfect.

Comment by davinci — May 25, 2012 @ 9:10 am - May 25, 2012

2. The future doesn’t look too bright with circus clowns like this ‘teacher’ giving instruction to our kids.
    We need more home schooling, more charter schools, more parochial schools, and more private schools.
    We also need to put the government-run indoctrination and brainwashing centers out of business.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 25, 2012 @ 9:28 am - May 25, 2012

3. Was anyone arrested for criticizing W?

One of our Kevins (the leftist one) was sent to a gay death camp, I believe.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 25, 2012 @ 1:09 pm - May 25, 2012

4. If teachers were to have been arrested for criticizing W, the whole staff of Belmont High would have been gone. Most of the players on my recreational league soccer team were students there and the trash they spewed from their teachers was appalling. Every attempt to defend President Bush was a waste of time; their minds were closed. They had been brainwashed. But hey, when it´s the left the First Amendment is in full force.

Comment by Roberto — May 25, 2012 @ 1:46 pm - May 25, 2012

5. Bitzer said it appears the teacher’s attempt to make a point about showing respect for the office of the president gets overshadowed by her personal feelings for Obama.

it appears the student was set on making a confrontation in the guise of raising a question

To quote the student in the audio: Did you know they called off the Doomsday of 2012?

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 25, 2012 @ 4:15 pm - May 25, 2012

6. To quote the teacher in her conclusion, “As a social studies teacher, I cannot allow you to slander any president … in here, past or current … If that’s the case, somebody could say some negative things about the Tea Party.”

In other words, she will not tolerate slanderous words against Obama, Bush, or the Tea Party.

You may have missed that when you watched the video, Dan … if you watched the video you linked to.

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 25, 2012 @ 4:20 pm - May 25, 2012

7. Cinesnatch @#6

That’s funny, because the very same teacher who said “I cannot allow you to slander any president … in here, past or current” also said that “Bush was a sh*tty president.”

Comment by Rattlesnake — May 25, 2012 @ 5:30 pm - May 25, 2012

8. LOL. ThAnks rattle. She did say that. Oh my. Rotfl.

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 25, 2012 @ 7:22 pm - May 25, 2012

9. Of course when she said that, she was in an emotional state. Once she cooled down and took a deep breath, a cooler mind prevailed. As the teacher, it’s up to her to set the example. Still, I would like to know just what she has to deal with it day in and day out. And we don’t know what set her off as we don’t know what was said beforehand. And I’m willing to guess her students have a good knowledge of how to press her buttons. Many teachers have their breaking point. Many teachers shouldn’t be teaching. I had a couple who were far worse in their action, not misinformation like this teacher. A goOd teacher is hard to find. She slipped up. And she corrected herself. The whole time she didn’t know she was being recorded. I suggest that says more than this post cares to convey.

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 25, 2012 @ 8:27 pm - May 25, 2012

10. And yet, because of the relationship between unionized teachers and the Democrat party, bad teachers make the same money as good teachers; and are virtually impossible to fire.

Comment by V the K — May 25, 2012 @ 9:24 pm - May 25, 2012

11. Yes, VTK, you are correct. But, I’m not sure if she is a bad teacher. She may have been having a bad day. We just don’t know. She may teach at a crappy school and have the worst behaving students. The fact that she said people were arrested for speaking out against Bush while she is a social studies teacher wasn’t a shining moment for her. But, I take exception to Dan plucking this “story” out of context without giving it the full treatment it deserves. Or, else, why bother bringing it up? Simply to point out an emotionally distraught teacher misspoke?

I had a teacher call me a f*ggot in front of the whole class for no good reason other than he’s a jerk. He certainly wasn’t dealing with an unruly class at the time. Do I think he should have been fired? No. But, I would have loved if my father had been there to kick the sh!t out of him. And, I would have loved if there had been some process in place to educate him on things he should keep to himself.

In the post, Dan uses a quote that inexplicably introduces Cindy Sheehan into the mix, as if that has anything to do with it. Bush was her target, because he was the president that got us into the war that resulted in the death of one of her children. She protested the war and she continues to do so to this day. And that includes targeting Obama, just as she targeted then president Bush.

So, it seems that Dan’s beef is with the Americans who supported Sheehan’s plight. And it seems that Dan has a beef with those same Americans for not rallying around this kid for correcting the teacher.

Because, you know …

If Dan doesn’t see the disequilibrium in the comparison, then he really should explain the point of the post, because I have a hard time finding one.

The only comparison I can make is between the two people not bringing home paychecks.

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 25, 2012 @ 9:47 pm - May 25, 2012

12. Of course when she said that, she was in an emotional state.

That makes her honest and unbiased? Once she calmed down, she would have stopped criticizing Bush, and carried out her stated principle in even-handed fashion, e.g., preventied anyone from criticizing the Tea Party?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

President Who Gets Country into a War many many didn’t support that many Democrats strongly told people they should support, and that said Democrats voted for in Congress, only changing their minds later when they felt they could gain a political advantage from doing so.

FIFY

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 26, 2012 @ 1:41 am - May 26, 2012

13. I was one of the liberals who was accused of being unpatriotic and told to shut up for his opinions when I saw the writing on the wall back in 2001 and things became more clear in 2002/3.

I don’t excuse what she said at all, ILC. I question the lack of context in the post, as well as what Dan was trying to convey. So far, he has not addressed any of my points.

So, no fix necessary. Thanks, but no thanks, ILC.

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 26, 2012 @ 2:08 am - May 26, 2012

14. Actually, you really aren’t supposed to slander anyone, president, or not. My understanding of slander is that truth is a defense.

Slander is malicious, false, and demeaning – you have to have all 3, not just one.

Comment by LindaF — May 26, 2012 @ 8:32 am - May 26, 2012

15. Actually, Dan used a quote from my post — where I brought up Cindy Sheehan to make the point that folks were declared heroes for criticizing Bush, not locked up. Indeed, Sheehan repeatedly lied about Bush — maliciously, falsely, and demeaningly (Bush had met with her in 2004) — but was treated like she was infallible and spoke for the families of every soldier who died in the wars.

Comment by Rhymes With Right — May 26, 2012 @ 3:45 pm - May 26, 2012

16. RWR, I suppose it doesn’t matter that in the months leading up to the war, the media which “glorified” Sheehan, certainly didn’t step in Bush’ way. In fact, that very “liberal” media was quite busy blowing the guy months after 9/11.

I get your oppositional comparison between the misspoken, overemotional words of the little known teacher verses the treatment of Sheehan. I just find her to be an unworthy target, especially considering the situation doesn’t receive a full examinations of the circumstances I’ve already gone over in this thread.

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 26, 2012 @ 5:45 pm - May 26, 2012

17. I was one of the liberals who was accused of being unpatriotic and told to shut up

Really? By whom?

that very “liberal” media was quite busy blowing the guy months after 9/11

Another way of saying what I said: that the liberal-media-Democrat complex was, in fact, very much in favor of the Iraq war.

Until the time came when they could see a partisan advantage to pretending they hadn’t been, that is.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 26, 2012 @ 7:10 pm - May 26, 2012

18. I don’t excuse what she said at all

Not “at all”? That means, not even a little bit. Really? So you disavow your earlier comments? Let’s review (since memories seem to be short, as people say):

excuse: n [ɪkˈskjuːs]
    1. an explanation offered in defence of some fault or offensive behaviour or as a reason for not fulfilling an obligation, etc.

Now, from #6:

That implies an excuse: That her behavior is mitigated by her even-handedness. (A premise which I question/ed.)

From #9:

Of course when she said that, she was in an emotional state…
    …I would like to know just what she has to deal with it day in and day out. And we don’t know what set her off as we don’t know what was said beforehand. And I’m willing to guess her students have a good knowledge of how to press her buttons. [ed: implying that the students are at fault]
    …And she corrected herself. The whole time she didn’t know she was being recorded…

From #11:

She may have been having a bad day… She may teach at a crappy school and have the worst behaving students…
    I had a teacher call me a f*ggot in front of the whole class… [ed: non-sequitur, so changing the subject?]
    Dan uses a quote that inexplicably introduces Cindy Sheehan into the mix… [ed:ditto]
    Because, you know … Teacher misspeaking = President Who Gets Country into a War many didn’t support. [ed: ditto; plus factually incorrect, as I noted before]

To me, that’s a lot of excuses. You mixed them in with comments expressing disapproval, and yet, there they are. I think your intent was very much to suggest excuses for her – while pretending not to. It’s a small thing and I’ll drop it; I just happen to be allergic to baloney.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 26, 2012 @ 7:29 pm - May 26, 2012

19. ILC, your One-sided attention to detail is awesome. Thank you.

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 26, 2012 @ 9:32 pm - May 26, 2012

20. But, if you’d like to touch on the heart of my argument rather tear away the edges, please do so.

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 26, 2012 @ 9:56 pm - May 26, 2012

21. Shorter Vince “Thank you for shredding my argument, ILC. You’ve shown again what a hypocrite I am.”

Comment by The_Livewire — May 26, 2012 @ 10:22 pm - May 26, 2012

22. Lol. Thank you the live wire. I appreciate you providing your cliff notes version. I miss our back and fourths. It feels like we haven’t had one since the DADT repeal.

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 26, 2012 @ 10:42 pm - May 26, 2012

23. More floundering. (yawn)

if you’d like to touch on the heart of my argument

Have done so at several points. Makes no difference to you. Never will. “Oh, well” :-)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — May 27, 2012 @ 11:37 am - May 27, 2012

24. Till the next time, my conservative friend.

Comment by Cinesnatch — May 27, 2012 @ 3:21 pm - May 27, 2012

25. You seem determined not to understand that, when you say “I don’t excuse what she said -at all-”, after having injected into the discussion every possible excuse for her, you rip your own throat out: by showing that, even when talking about your own view, you have no idea what you’re saying.

“Oh, well” :-)