Donald Trump: this week’s Obama campaign shiny object

It looks like Democrats have found their shiny object for this week.  Over at HotAir headlines, they link the New Obama ad: Why won’t Romney stand up to Trump? Pam Spaulding, my favorite leftie blogress is on top of the story.

The presumptive Republican nominee has stated the obvious that, well, he doesn’t agree with all his supporters.  Now, I’ll grant that it would be better if Mitt Romney wasn’t participating in a fundraiser with the other Donald.  (Sorry, friends, the Donald is always clad a in a sailor shirt and hat and no pants.)

Does the Obama campaign really believe that the American people will judge a candidate not by his own experience and platform and define him by some of his more eccentric supporters?  Wonder how they would react should conservatives demand that Obama, to borrow and paraphrase an expression, differentiate himself from his more extreme supporters.

UPDATE:  Looks like Mitt Romney is not going to play the Obama Democrats game.  Byron York reports:

Mitt Romney’s refusal to repudiate Donald Trump sends a signal, both to Democrats and the voting public: With the nation’s future at stake in this November’s election, Romney will not accommodate calls that he disown supporters who make ill-considered, unpopular, or sometimes outrageous statements on matters not fundamental to the campaign.

Read the whole thing. Kudos, Mitt.  Does seem that only Democrats ask Republicans to repudiate their supporters who make silly statements.  If the Democrats started repudiating Bill Maher, they might have a point.

UP-UPDATE: Romney repudiating repudiations

UP-UP-UPDATE: Jim Geraghty wonders why it’s more “that Romney repudiate Trump than for Obama to repudiate Corzine?

The Obama campaign kept the money Jon Corzine raised while returning his personal donation. Why is Trump a bigger controversy than that?

Corzine’s recklessness cost 3,200 people their jobs – bigger than most of the mid-90s layoffs under Bain that the Obama campaign insists upon spotlighting in its ads.

This post is related to the up-up-update.

1. How about a new slogan such as: “Don’t make me do a coup on you.”

(Naw, he would pronounce it “coop” and blow the whole concept.)

Comment by heliotrope — May 29, 2012 @ 1:41 pm - May 29, 2012

2. Yawn.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — May 29, 2012 @ 3:37 pm - May 29, 2012

3. If it or them makes money, Democrats are A-F-R-A-I-D to go near it.

I hope the Republican convention gives Trump and Paul prime speaking slots.

Comment by Geena — May 29, 2012 @ 4:20 pm - May 29, 2012

4. Didn’t Obama attend Jeremiah Wright’s church for 20 years and start his political career in Bill Ayers’ living room? If anyone’s got radical associates, it’s not Romney…

Comment by John — May 29, 2012 @ 4:30 pm - May 29, 2012

5. Re: Greena

I just have to respond to Greena, though. The GOP should most definitely not give Trump a speaking spot. Trump is crazy, and the Democrats are attacking the GOP for it. As it stands, Trump may just be a crazy supporter, but if the GOP gives him a spot at the convention, they will be actively endorsing his radical extremist illogical viewpoints.

Comment by John — May 29, 2012 @ 4:32 pm - May 29, 2012

6. On the way home, I was listening to one of the syndicated radio hosts question why Romney is doing the Trump fundraiser, complete with audio clips of Trump saying silly birther stuff. Then, of course, Rev Wright did come up.

First, on Trump. Why is Romney doing it???? Are you kidding????

$$$$$$$$$

The Obama campaign wishes they could get a similar big money event like this. They might eventually get a fund raiser with Streisand. But he DID just have one with Clooney. Where were all the people that are questioning this Trump fundraiser when Obama was with Clooney? I mean, he has said a few loopy things too. He’s just not as “in your face” about it as Trump. Streisand is closer.

On Reverend Wright. i happen to be one that thinks that association is not a winning issue. I don’t think Obama went every week, and when he did go, it seems more a favor to the wife than anything. That said, the two don’t compare. Romney is hangin’ out with Trump because of the money… And some strong support from Trump supporters, birthers et al. Obama was attending the Wright church long before he officially decided to run for President. For me, it’s apples and oranges.

Comment by sonicfrog — May 29, 2012 @ 6:07 pm - May 29, 2012

7. So, in what way is it worse for Mitt Romney to have Donald Trump on his side than it is for Obama to misogynistic atheist creep Bill Maher on his?

Comment by V the K — May 29, 2012 @ 6:15 pm - May 29, 2012

8. V… That’s a much better apples to apples.

Romney could also say “Hey, Trump is just a guy who raised some money for me, just like Bill Ayers did for my opponent”.

Comment by sonicfrog — May 29, 2012 @ 7:02 pm - May 29, 2012

9. Likewise…
    “It’s not like I’m going to appoint Trump to my administration, like Greg Jaczko.”

“I disagree with Mr. Trump’s birther theories. Therefore, unilke admitted truther Van Jones, I will not appoint him to a position in my administration.”

Comment by The_Livewire — May 29, 2012 @ 8:32 pm - May 29, 2012

10. I dunno… Trump as Press Secretary would be a riot! It would be a wonderful slo-motion train wreck to watch.

Comment by sonicfrog — May 29, 2012 @ 8:39 pm - May 29, 2012

11. I saw pdf’s of the documents that Trump referred to several weeks ago. While anything can be faked, they seemed, on their face, to be period publications. The only thing that might be said in Obama’s favor (???) in this situation is that he always lied to pump his image up, and I’m sure it was quite sexy to say he was born in Africa, etc. Poor Gradma seems to have befuddled memories of it all.

Who knows? As to Obama, I’ve never trusted him nor will I ever trust him.

Comment by Leon — May 29, 2012 @ 10:23 pm - May 29, 2012

12. Look the whole thing that’s so amusing about all this is how much fun Mr. Trump is having. He loves having his name in the papers and his face on TV screens. And, well, he succeeded.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — May 30, 2012 @ 1:25 am - May 30, 2012