SPECIAL POSTING FROM GAYPATRIOT READER

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 12:38 pm - June 1, 2012.
Filed under: Amazing Stories,American History

I’m happy to turn the page over to long-time reader & commenter, John R.

Happy Birthday, John!

-Bruce

************************

I have a very important announcement. Today, June 1, I am 90 NINETY years old!
I have lived through the following presidential administrations;

Harding   Coolidge   Hoover   Roosevelt   Truman

Eisenhower   Kennedy   Johnson   Nixon   Ford

Carter   Reagan   Bush   Clinton   Bush   Obama

Which one was the best?  “I Like Ike”.

It was a very pleasant and peaceful 8 years. Unlike the previous years of wars and unemployment.

There were many teaching jobs because the country was now booming with kids. Many of my exGI friends became teachers after spending 4 or more years in college under the GI Bill. But spending years in college was not for me. I got a job in China, then Jpan and finally Alaska. Alaska was great!

TV was coming into its own and many of the ex-GIs who went to tech school now was busy setting up new TV stations and maintaining them.

Flying was becoming very important. It was a great and pleasant experience to take a trip. I was fortunate to have flown on most of the airlines. Between Anchorage and the East Coast NorthWest used a double decker. I cannot remember the name. (Getting senile) It had a bar downstairs and you could go down and make your trip even more enjoyable. The airlines started flying jets at the end of the 50s and flying has not been as good since.

So many things have happened in my life time. I could never write about them all here. I have written a history of my family starting from the 1600 and ending in 1958. I wrote it for my descendants and for my many cousin’s descendants. I had it printed at a large printing company in Silicon Valley. The owner called me and said that when they get my books printed could he print one for himself. That told me that I would not have to be embarassed giving it as a gift to others rather than just my relatives.

So if any of you would like a book, contact Bruce for my address or e-mail address. There is NO charge.

1. Happy birthday!!!

Comment by Neptune — June 1, 2012 @ 12:51 pm - June 1, 2012

2. Happy Birthday!

Comment by alanocu — June 1, 2012 @ 12:54 pm - June 1, 2012

3. Happy Birthday John!

Comment by cerebropeo — June 1, 2012 @ 12:57 pm - June 1, 2012

4. Many happy returns!

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — June 1, 2012 @ 1:05 pm - June 1, 2012

5. Hap PEE Birf DAY!

Comment by rusty — June 1, 2012 @ 1:06 pm - June 1, 2012

6. Happy Birthday! Have a happy and healthy one :)

Comment by Rachel — June 1, 2012 @ 1:10 pm - June 1, 2012

7. Happy birthday John! I would be honored to have a copy of your book. Dan Blatt knows how to reach me. As for your very generous gesture offering your book at no charge, I will make a donation to the GayPatriot blog in your honor. Again, happy birthday.

Comment by David in New Orleans — June 1, 2012 @ 1:22 pm - June 1, 2012

8. Hey, a member of the Greatest Generation – top stuff! Happy Birthday mate.

Comment by s_dog — June 1, 2012 @ 1:32 pm - June 1, 2012

9. Happy birthday, sir!!!

Wow! From 1600 to 1958??? That is indeed impressive, and being a history junkie (as well as always on the hunt for a great story), I’m definitely interested in a copy of your book.

All the best!!!!

Comment by My Sharia Moor — June 1, 2012 @ 5:52 pm - June 1, 2012

10. A very Happy Birthday to you John. I missed the first three, had only 8 days of Roosevelt. Live longer and prosper.

Comment by mixitup — June 1, 2012 @ 6:27 pm - June 1, 2012

11. A most wonderful birthday to you John. Thanks for sharing with us.

Comment by John in Dublin — June 1, 2012 @ 6:53 pm - June 1, 2012

12. This is awesome! Happiest of happy birthdays to you John!

Comment by lethargic — June 1, 2012 @ 7:28 pm - June 1, 2012

13. What a milestone! Happy Birthday, John!!

Comment by SoCalRobert — June 1, 2012 @ 8:22 pm - June 1, 2012

14. Happy Birthday, John. I hope you enjoy your special day. You deserve it, and then some!

Comment by Pat — June 2, 2012 @ 12:22 am - June 2, 2012

15. Happy Birthday! A long and what sounds like a fascinating life over a fascinating and swiftly changing century. I bet it would make a very interesting biography and history.

Comment by Kate — June 2, 2012 @ 1:13 am - June 2, 2012

16. Happy birthday, and wow, look at what you’ve seen in your life.

The airplane you’re thinking of may be the Boeing Stratocruiser. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_377

Comment by perturbed — June 2, 2012 @ 10:46 am - June 2, 2012

17. Happy birthday, John. Many, many happy returns.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — June 2, 2012 @ 10:53 am - June 2, 2012

18. Thank you all for the birthday greetings. And if any of you would like my book, I will be glad to send it to you.

Comment by John R — June 2, 2012 @ 8:21 pm - June 2, 2012

19. Perturbed
    You are right. It was a Boe Stratocruiser. Thanks for directing me to Wikipedia. Pan Am flew it from the West Coast to Hawaii and probably on to Asia and Austraiia. Instead of a bar they had beds downstairs. It took all night to fly from the West Coast to Hawaii. It was a slow plane and used a lot of fuel and as the article said it has many mechanical problems.

Comment by John R — June 2, 2012 @ 11:25 pm - June 2, 2012

20. John, Christian and I both wish you a happy birthday! (We posted on facebook, but I’m not sure how often you check that, so when I saw this I’d take the opportunity to do so again)

Comment by Alex in Denver — June 4, 2012 @ 8:01 pm - June 4, 2012