Remember all the handwringing in the media about Mitt Romney’s continued association with Donald Trump even as the presumptive Republican nominee made clear he disagreed with the celebrity entrepreneur’s continuing commentary on the president’s birth certificate?  Yahoo! even included a headline (in its top news) about Romney’s refusal to tell Trump to dial it down.

Aaron Sorkin speculates what would happen if Romney told anti-gay activists to “drop dead.”  Others faulted the Republican candidates for not repudiating a solitary boor who booed a gay service member.

Now, with gay left activists taking pictures of themselves flipping off former presidents while in the White House at the incumbent’s invitation, will those very voices in our legacy media call on the president to (borrowing and paraphrasing an expression) differentiate himself from the boorish behavior of his guests, individuals he invited to the White House?

What would the media reaction be if social conservatives had photographed themselves flipping off pictures of Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter while visiting the White House?  (Well, don’t think social conservatives would conduct themselves in such a manner.)

Gay groups should join us in condemning these antics.  These people do not provide an image of gay people that should gain currency in the media.  Such juvenile behavior should not be representative of our community.  We should look instead to people as Mary Cheney as Heather Poe as role models.

FROM THE COMMENTS:  Haven’t had time to review all the comments.  Shortly after posting this, I headed up to take my nephew to some sites, including, of all places, the Reagan Library (where I honored the Gipper and renewed my membership).  midwest mama does get at the implications of these juvenile antics.

If the folks at HRC, GLAAD et al are truly concerned about improving the image of gay Americans, they will denounce these antics and call on the president to repudiate them as well.

UPDATE:  The White House has criticized these antics:

“While the White House does not control the conduct of guests at receptions, we certainly expect that all attendees conduct themselves in a respectful manner. Most all do,” Shin Inouye, a White House spokesman, said. “These individuals clearly did not. Behavior like this doesn’t belong anywhere, least of all in the White House.”

Et tu, HRC?  Et tu, NGLTF?

1. We’re being ripped to shreds in comment sections of Conservativd blogs.

Comment by formerlyleftleaninglesbian — June 22, 2012 @ 4:08 pm - June 22, 2012

2. What is so bad about this is that the American Public only knows the gay community that moves under the banner of, “we’re queer we’re here get used to it!” These “activists” did nothing for the over all cause of the gay community. They made their cause look childish and sad.

Comment by Nic — June 22, 2012 @ 4:14 pm - June 22, 2012

3. By the way, these “activisits” do not represent the entire gay community who are concerned about taxes, the economy and the debt.

Comment by Nic — June 22, 2012 @ 4:15 pm - June 22, 2012

4. If you want to get to know the other side of the gay community visit GOProud.org.

Comment by Nic — June 22, 2012 @ 4:15 pm - June 22, 2012

5. [...] Daniel Blatt: Obama to differentiate himself from juvenile behavior of his (gay activist) guests? Don’t count on it . . [...]

Pingback by Instapundit » Blog Archive » REMEMBER ALL THAT “NEW CIVILITY” BULLSHIT? ME NEITHER. Gay Activists Invited To White House Flip O… — June 22, 2012 @ 4:16 pm - June 22, 2012

6. Why? The middle finger ploy is one of Obama’s favorites. He did it several times, in the middle of a presidential election, and nobody called him on it. Why would this be any different?

Comment by Fernando — June 22, 2012 @ 4:30 pm - June 22, 2012

7. Actually, my first thought was that these bozos are NOT representative of gays/lesbians in general – rather, that they are very representative of the kind of leftist gays and lesbians circa 2012 that Obama so loves to surround himself with.

Comment by Larry L — June 22, 2012 @ 4:31 pm - June 22, 2012

8. Nic, you have a point I had never considered. If I knew no gay people personally, the only examples I would have with which to form an opinion would be the attention-starved ones like these – not the best face. Of course, some of the ones I do know are a bit out there, but they don’t tend to be perpetually and intentionally annoying like the examples cited above.

Comment by alanstorm — June 22, 2012 @ 4:33 pm - June 22, 2012

9. This classless and exceedingly rude behavior is typical of the left, sadly, this will end up reflecting poorly on the LGBT community, where it should really reflect poorly on those who identify themselves as democrat.

Comment by forrest — June 22, 2012 @ 4:47 pm - June 22, 2012

10. I am a middle-aged straight woman from Kansas. If it weren’t for my gay relatives, whom I love to pieces, the only picture I would have of the gay community is the “in your face” people who seem to not be able to get over their sexuality and insist that if I don’t absolutely embrace every possible permutation of the gay lifestyle, I am somehow a hater. I am willing to live and let live, but it seems to me that a lot of people in the gay community are not. I appreciate knowing there are gay conservatives out there.

Comment by midwest mama — June 22, 2012 @ 4:48 pm - June 22, 2012

11. Jerks self-identify. If they are part of a group that self-identifies, then we can think of the group as jerks.

Life can be tough. Doing stupid things makes tough happen.

Comment by Sam L. — June 22, 2012 @ 4:50 pm - June 22, 2012

12. Savages. All.

Can they not behave in a civilized manner, even for brief periods?

I hope they won’t mind if I regard their causes with the contempt they hold for others

Comment by BigSoph — June 22, 2012 @ 4:54 pm - June 22, 2012

13. Obama show class by differentiating himself? as N.S. Khruschev once said, “That will happen when shrimps begin to whistle.” Remember, Obama is the guy who in 2008 scratched his cheek, giving Hillary the finger during a TV debzte.

Comment by John Cunningham — June 22, 2012 @ 4:57 pm - June 22, 2012

14. Remember, Obama is the guy who in 2008 scratched his cheek, giving Hillary the finger during a TV debate.

Comment by John Cunningham — June 22, 2012 @ 4:57 pm – June 22, 2012

That’s right, John. And he’s pulled that punk move more than the one time that you cite.

Comment by jman1961 — June 22, 2012 @ 5:04 pm - June 22, 2012

15. They aren’t representative of anyone but their own douchey selves.

But yes, Obama should be called upon to repudiate them.

Comment by Malvolio — June 22, 2012 @ 5:26 pm - June 22, 2012

16. Unfortunately, this is another example of the type of stunts that the public remembers about the gay community. This, pride parades (which are, essentially, pagan sex festivals), glittering, kiss-ins on Mormon Temple grounds, and other uncivilized public displays are what people remember. It’s why I no longer identify as gay or part of the gay community.

Comment by AZ Mo in NYC — June 22, 2012 @ 5:47 pm - June 22, 2012

17. This straight conservative white dude understands that a few jerks always ruin it for everyone else. I don’t blame the entire community of gayfolk for this any more than I blame the entire black race for the mess Obama is making of the country right now. Yeah, it looks bad. Yeah, some a-holes on the right will use this as jutification to bash on all gays. Don’t let it get to you. The news cycle will shortly vomit up another outrage, and this one will pass into the Stygian deeps with all the rest.

Comment by Monty — June 22, 2012 @ 5:56 pm - June 22, 2012

18. My liberal gay friends think conservative gays are bad for our community, I should post these pics on my facebook and see what kind of comments I get!

Comment by Dave — June 22, 2012 @ 6:06 pm - June 22, 2012

19. AZ Mo in NYC: “It’s why I no longer identify as gay or part of the gay community.” Right there with ya, pal!

Comment by Tom — June 22, 2012 @ 6:07 pm - June 22, 2012

20. While the gay label is firmly attached to this story – the fact is that it’s typical of the modern “progressive” movement.

I am not a cheery person – I spent many years angry with the world but there is no way I could sustain the level of anger seen from the left. They cannot put it aside for anything – not even a visit to the White House. Where do they get the energy for the constant, all-consuming hatred ?

That – and they demonstrate their ignorance of Reagan’s legacy dating from before he was governor of California.

Ignorance, stupidity, and blind hate – a toxic combination.

Comment by SoCalRobert — June 22, 2012 @ 6:21 pm - June 22, 2012

21. Finger flippin’ “hack”tivist Zoe Strauss slammed so bad on Facebook and Twitter that she had to climb back in the closet on both sites. No longer so “proud.”

Comment by vanderleun — June 22, 2012 @ 6:22 pm - June 22, 2012

22. [...] Gay Patriot is rightfully condemning [...]

Pingback by Gay Activists Flip Off Portrait Of Reagan At Obama Pride Event At White House — June 22, 2012 @ 6:23 pm - June 22, 2012

23. I am not gay, but some of my friends are. I never thought Obama’s guests were assholes because they were gay. It is because they are liberals.

Comment by Kathleen — June 22, 2012 @ 6:26 pm - June 22, 2012

24. Good points here. I haven’t had many gay friends since I got married, had children, and moved out to the country. Most of the exposure I have now to the gay community is in the media, and it’s virtually all exactly the sort of left wing, professionally gay, purposely offensive foolishness displayed in these White House photos.

Doesn’t seem designed as a sensible hearts & minds campaign for us straight folk. I mean, come on, flipping off the Gipper? Why not just berate Christian high school kids for their religion. Oh, wait…

Comment by Agim Zabeli — June 22, 2012 @ 6:53 pm - June 22, 2012

25. “Gay groups should join us in condemning these antics.”

They won’t because they believe that BS about Reagan encouraging aids to spread.

It’s based on nothing other than in circle repetition but they wanted an excuse to hate… went to trouble to make one up…. and here we are. Can’t reason people out of opinions they used no reason to arrive at.

Comment by Thomass — June 22, 2012 @ 7:07 pm - June 22, 2012

26. “Where do they get the energy for the constant, all-consuming hatred ?”

It is their sole self-defining characteristic, their sole motivating impulse, it’s what gets them out of bed in the morning. Without that hatred they are nothing.

Comment by Rhoda R — June 22, 2012 @ 7:55 pm - June 22, 2012

27. That Settled it. Romney gets my vote. We need somebody with a little class in the WH.

Comment by Zainuddin — June 22, 2012 @ 8:03 pm - June 22, 2012

28. on a happier note. . .it is Alan Turing birthday. . .he would have been 100

Alan Turing would have celebrated his 100th birthday on 23 June were he still alive. But the codebreaking genius died in 1954 after consuming cyanide – an act many have linked to his treatment for being a homosexual.

To mark the anniversary of his birth the BBC has commissioned a series of articles about his life. Here, two people who worked alongside him recall their memories of him.

Because at the time he(Turing) was suffering from being forced to have injections of female sex hormones to prevent his homosexuality. He’d been convicted for gross indecency. So my view is that it was a suicide, but on a momentary impulse.

Comment by rusty — June 22, 2012 @ 8:09 pm - June 22, 2012

29. These gays at the White House are so totally ignorant of anything but revisionist (propaganda masquarading as) history that they have no idea how Ronald Reagan stood up for the rights of gays to teach in schools in CA in 1978.
    We had a ballot initiative (Proposition 6) to prohibit gays from getting teaching jobs.
    Reagan wrote op-eds and campaigned against it!
    To this day real historians credit Reagan with putting that thing down.
    Reagan fought.
    Obama just votes ”present.”

Comment by Nan G — June 22, 2012 @ 8:20 pm - June 22, 2012

30. Just shows that every group has its small percentage of beffoons. They speak for no one but themselves. I am sure there parents would be so proud of their White House behaviour.

Comment by Bob T — June 22, 2012 @ 8:23 pm - June 22, 2012

31. It’s why I no longer identify as gay or part of the gay community.

These are useful little boxes to put identity politics types into for the purpose of playing the politics of division, at which we all know Dems excel. They don’t exist; I believe in INDIVIDUALS.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — June 22, 2012 @ 8:44 pm - June 22, 2012

32. And these “activists” wonder why teenagers use the word “Gay” to denote something pointless, self-important or overly precious.

As in, “Flipping off a painting of Reagan was totally Gay.”

Comment by Slang — June 22, 2012 @ 9:11 pm - June 22, 2012

33. I am gay and completely out. And I have to say that this behavior is immature and disgusting. There is nothing attractive about it and it only makes life harder for those of us who have earned out reputation as an honorable person the old-fashioned way.

All I expect as an American is equal individual rights. I expect no favors and am entitled to nothing – least of all acceptance of my sexuality which is a personal matter. All I can say to these idiots – is go back under a rock.

Comment by Principlex — June 22, 2012 @ 10:07 pm - June 22, 2012

34. How does such a small minority of hateful people have so much cultural and political power? In my experience, proud homosexuals are hateful, immoral people who lie and steal. People who just happen to be homosexual (not “in you face”) are just regular folks. I’m not interested in your sex life and don’t ask me about mine. There’s a reason why the motto on the Continental Dollar was “Mind Your Business.”

YMMV.

Comment by Neshobanakni — June 22, 2012 @ 10:45 pm - June 22, 2012

35. [...] pride reception at the White House. Juvenile in the extreme. As Gay Patriot’s B. Daniel Blatt remarks, “What would the media reaction be if social conservatives had photographed themselves [...]

Pingback by Best and Worst — IGF Culture Watch — June 22, 2012 @ 11:03 pm - June 22, 2012

36. When I see this type of behavior I think it is typical of intolerant liberals/progressives. It’s not something I think of as gay behavior.
    We have our share of stupid bigots on the right, too, but I’d like to think that in general conservatives are better behaved with a better sense of decorum. I certainly wouldn’t behave that way even in front of a picture of the peanut farmer or Jug Ears himself.
    I support civil rights and individual rights and liberties, not group rights or necessarily gay rights. I know that gay conservatives agree with me on most things and differ on some. Live and let live. But we agree on the important things and have more self-respect and dignity to sink to the level of the leftist statists.

Comment by He Wei Jin — June 22, 2012 @ 11:10 pm - June 22, 2012

37. [...] GayPatriot, B. Daniel Blatt expressed outrage and condemnation:  Obama to differentiate himself from juvenile behavior of his (gay activist) guests? …Gay groups should join us in condemning these antics.  These people do not provide an image [...]

Pingback by Before It's News — June 22, 2012 @ 11:15 pm - June 22, 2012

38. While most people, when hearing the perjorative “douche” think of idiot college guys, it comes to mind in this case.

Comment by Steve Cory — June 23, 2012 @ 12:29 am - June 23, 2012

39. May I take that one step further? I don’t believe there’s ANY SUCH THING as a gay “community.” I also don’t believe in an African-American “community.” Or a Hispanic “community.” But then I’ve outgrown the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny, too. (The jury’s still out on Santa Claus.)

I concur 100%, except for the Santa Claus thing.

Comment by Rattlesnake — June 23, 2012 @ 12:58 am - June 23, 2012

40. I just do not get what these douchebrains accomplished. Except turning off fence-sitters on such issues as same-sex marriage. For every step towards just recognition of their place in American society, douchebrains like this send it three steps back. My thoughts here: http://www.rightviewfromtheleftcoast.blogspot.com/2012/06/another-reason-why-gay-rights-advocates.html

Comment by Mark J. Goluskin — June 23, 2012 @ 2:59 am - June 23, 2012

41. It’s behavior like this that “puts off” the vast majority of heterosexuals. While I don’t condone homosexuality, personally, I don’t care what you do in your home. The woman from Kansas quoted in the post above is is pretty much spot on. If you paid attention to the media/tv, you’d think that gays made up 25% of the population…not the 3% they do in reality.

Seriously, this sort of behavior does more to harm your cause than it does help. It just goes to show how intolerant most Liberal gays are.

Comment by Rich Vail — June 23, 2012 @ 8:28 am - June 23, 2012

42. [...] at: Riehl World View, Power Line, GayPatriot, CNN, The Lonely Conservative, The Gateway Pundit, Weasel Zippers, The Jawa Report, [...]

Pingback by Typical Liberals Show Typical Liberal Class At White House Event » Pirate's Cove — June 23, 2012 @ 8:48 am - June 23, 2012

43. Gay conservatives generally don’t make scenes or flaunt their orientation in public places. It’s because we’ve been raised better and are adults instead of the infantile leftie gay rights establishment.

Comment by davinci — June 23, 2012 @ 9:07 am - June 23, 2012

44. I agree 1000% with midwestmama…And just about everyone else posting here…

Comment by Kaye — June 23, 2012 @ 10:44 am - June 23, 2012

45. And I agree with Kaye

Comment by Geena — June 23, 2012 @ 11:22 am - June 23, 2012

46. It is sad that a lot of people will look at these people and think see, this is what gays are like. It’s the same when idiot Christians do stupid things like hold signs up saying God hates gays. These are the things that the media focuses on and that people make conclusions from. What is heartening to read here at this site is that there are many more of us who take a deeper look at each other and come up with different outlooks.

Comment by Leslie — June 23, 2012 @ 12:27 pm - June 23, 2012

47. I also agree with the lady from Kansas and in fact with all the comments. And to think we are paying for this “intertainment” in the WH. Gad, how quick can we get the House cleaned out and fumigated.

Comment by John R — June 23, 2012 @ 12:57 pm - June 23, 2012

48. Principlex @33: WELL SAID. Delighted to have you on my side.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — June 23, 2012 @ 2:17 pm - June 23, 2012

49. When Straight America sees tenth-grade foolishness masquerading as Gay activism, they can’t help but think that Gay people suffer from arrested development! Predictably, the fringe crowd that patronizes Joe.My.God is jumping for joy about this dumbass behavior.

Comment by Don Charles "Stuffed Animal" — June 23, 2012 @ 3:24 pm - June 23, 2012

50. Homosexuality is a manifestation of compounded mental disorders. It is pointless to expect compliant behavior from homosexuals, since one of their dominant and essential characteristics is deviance.

Comment by Phalluster — June 23, 2012 @ 3:38 pm - June 23, 2012

51. I call “poe” on phalluster.

Comment by homer — June 23, 2012 @ 5:49 pm - June 23, 2012

52. I concur 100%, except for the Santa Claus thing.

Please tell me you don’t hate on Santa, rattlesnake. I WANT to believe.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — June 23, 2012 @ 9:44 pm - June 23, 2012

53. Bastiat, I once told a commie collegue of mine that I was not part of the gay community. His head nearly exploded then he proceeded to tell me that I was, by default, just because I was sexually attracted to other men and that I was kicking the gay “community” in the teeth because I think same sex marriage is a silly idea.

Comment by Az Mo in NYC — June 23, 2012 @ 9:57 pm - June 23, 2012

54. And I hate the concept of “community” too.

Comment by Az Mo in NYC — June 23, 2012 @ 9:58 pm - June 23, 2012

55. So much for Obamas new civility. It just confirms my old adage, dems are great at telling non-dems to be civil, as for thenmselves, not so much.

By the way, I appreciate conservative gay groups like GOPROOUD and Gay Patriot, that have condemned these antics. If there were more gays like you, your cause would be a lot better off. It is one big thing I have against repub socons that they do not want a big enough tent to welcome you. Fortunately, the Tea Party, and Briebart, are wiser in that respect, and I think because of them, the repub party is slowly changing with respect to gays, and groups like yours advance that change.

Comment by richard40 — June 23, 2012 @ 11:07 pm - June 23, 2012

56. Please tell me you don’t hate on Santa, rattlesnake. I WANT to believe.

Hate on Santa, no.

I just love fascists who tell people what they are supposed to think.

Comment by Rattlesnake — June 24, 2012 @ 1:20 am - June 24, 2012

57. I just love fascists who tell people what they are supposed to think.

Me too, rattlesnake. I’m toying with starting up my own blog, and if I do I swear I’m gonna launch it with a contest for the best lines my fellow conservatives have had delivered to them by our “enlightened” friends on the left. I’ve got some real beauties stored up…

Comment by Bastiat Fan — June 24, 2012 @ 1:16 pm - June 24, 2012

58. That is a great idea, Bastiat Fan.

Comment by Rattlesnake — June 24, 2012 @ 5:24 pm - June 24, 2012

59. [...] “What is so bad about” the gay activists flipping off the Gipper’s portrait when visiting the White House at Obama’s invitation, our reader Nic wrote in the comments . . . . . . is that the American Public only knows the gay community that moves under the banner of, “we’re queer we’re here get used to it!” These “activists” did nothing for the over all cause of the gay community. They made their cause look childish and sad. [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Where’s the concern about how antics (and crimes) of gay activists threaten to tarnish images of gay people? — June 26, 2012 @ 5:30 pm - June 26, 2012