Obama to differentiate himself from juvenile behavior of his (gay activist) guests?

Remember all the handwringing in the media about Mitt Romney’s continued association with Donald Trump even as the presumptive Republican nominee made clear he disagreed with the celebrity entrepreneur’s continuing commentary on the president’s birth certificate?  Yahoo! even included a headline (in its top news) about Romney’s refusal to tell Trump to dial it down.

Aaron Sorkin speculates what would happen if Romney told anti-gay activists to “drop dead.”  Others faulted the Republican candidates for not repudiating a solitary boor who booed a gay service member.

Now, with gay left activists taking pictures of themselves flipping off former presidents while in the White House at the incumbent’s invitation, will those very voices in our legacy media call on the president to (borrowing and paraphrasing an expression) differentiate himself from the boorish behavior of his guests, individuals he invited to the White House?

What would the media reaction be if social conservatives had photographed themselves flipping off pictures of Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter while visiting the White House?  (Well, don’t think social conservatives would conduct themselves in such a manner.)

Gay groups should join us in condemning these antics.  These people do not provide an image of gay people that should gain currency in the media.  Such juvenile behavior should not be representative of our community.  We should look instead to people as Mary Cheney as Heather Poe as role models.

FROM THE COMMENTS:  Haven’t had time to review all the comments.  Shortly after posting this, I headed up to take my nephew to some sites, including, of all places, the Reagan Library (where I honored the Gipper and renewed my membership).  midwest mama does get at the implications of these juvenile antics.

I am a middle-aged straight woman from Kansas. If it weren’t for my gay relatives, whom I love to pieces, the only picture I would have of the gay community is the “in your face” people who seem to not be able to get over their sexuality and insist that if I don’t absolutely embrace every possible permutation of the gay lifestyle, I am somehow a hater. I am willing to live and let live, but it seems to me that a lot of people in the gay community are not. I appreciate knowing there are gay conservatives out there.

If the folks at HRC, GLAAD et al are truly concerned about improving the image of gay Americans, they will denounce these antics and call on the president to repudiate them as well.

UPDATE:  The White House has criticized these antics:

“While the White House does not control the conduct of guests at receptions, we certainly expect that all attendees conduct themselves in a respectful manner. Most all do,” Shin Inouye, a White House spokesman, said. “These individuals clearly did not. Behavior like this doesn’t belong anywhere, least of all in the White House.”

Et tu, HRC?  Et tu, NGLTF?

1. I call “poe” on phalluster.

Comment by homer — June 23, 2012 @ 5:49 pm - June 23, 2012

2. I concur 100%, except for the Santa Claus thing.

Please tell me you don’t hate on Santa, rattlesnake. I WANT to believe.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — June 23, 2012 @ 9:44 pm - June 23, 2012

3. Bastiat, I once told a commie collegue of mine that I was not part of the gay community. His head nearly exploded then he proceeded to tell me that I was, by default, just because I was sexually attracted to other men and that I was kicking the gay “community” in the teeth because I think same sex marriage is a silly idea.

Comment by Az Mo in NYC — June 23, 2012 @ 9:57 pm - June 23, 2012

4. And I hate the concept of “community” too.

Comment by Az Mo in NYC — June 23, 2012 @ 9:58 pm - June 23, 2012

5. So much for Obamas new civility. It just confirms my old adage, dems are great at telling non-dems to be civil, as for thenmselves, not so much.

By the way, I appreciate conservative gay groups like GOPROOUD and Gay Patriot, that have condemned these antics. If there were more gays like you, your cause would be a lot better off. It is one big thing I have against repub socons that they do not want a big enough tent to welcome you. Fortunately, the Tea Party, and Briebart, are wiser in that respect, and I think because of them, the repub party is slowly changing with respect to gays, and groups like yours advance that change.

Comment by richard40 — June 23, 2012 @ 11:07 pm - June 23, 2012

6. Please tell me you don’t hate on Santa, rattlesnake. I WANT to believe.

Hate on Santa, no.

I just love fascists who tell people what they are supposed to think.

Comment by Rattlesnake — June 24, 2012 @ 1:20 am - June 24, 2012

7. I just love fascists who tell people what they are supposed to think.

Me too, rattlesnake. I’m toying with starting up my own blog, and if I do I swear I’m gonna launch it with a contest for the best lines my fellow conservatives have had delivered to them by our “enlightened” friends on the left. I’ve got some real beauties stored up…

Comment by Bastiat Fan — June 24, 2012 @ 1:16 pm - June 24, 2012

8. That is a great idea, Bastiat Fan.

Comment by Rattlesnake — June 24, 2012 @ 5:24 pm - June 24, 2012

9. […] “What is so bad about” the gay activists flipping off the Gipper’s portrait when visiting the White House at Obama’s invitation, our reader Nic wrote in the comments . . . . . . is that the American Public only knows the gay community that moves under the banner of, “we’re queer we’re here get used to it!” These “activists” did nothing for the over all cause of the gay community. They made their cause look childish and sad. […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Where’s the concern about how antics (and crimes) of gay activists threaten to tarnish images of gay people? — June 26, 2012 @ 5:30 pm - June 26, 2012