Preliminary Thoughts on Chick-Fil-A Hullabaloo

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 2:17 pm - July 26, 2012.
Filed under: Entrepreneurs,Freedom,Gay PC Silliness

A number of readers (on both sides of the political aisle) have e-mailed me or otherwise messaged me to ask my opinions on or whether I would post about the Chick-Fil-A Hullabaloo.  To be sure, earlier this week, I had planned a post on the matter, but, as I started writing it, chose not to finish the post and leave the story alone.  The fast food chicken restaurant is, after all, a private enterprise, one of which I have patronized only occasionally (like maybe two or three times) in my life.

But, thanks to Democratic urban politicians eager to patronize the gay community (in response to activists suddenly upset that the chicken chain’s president had expressed support for traditional marriage), the story is not going away.

Last night on Facebook, my friend Rick Sincere (check out his blog here) offered a nice succinct statement on the story in which this smart libertarian summarized my basic response to the kerfuffle:

Property rights are human rights. Customers should be able to boycott a business; the government should not make that decision for them.

If you don’t like the fact that Chick-Fil-A’s president is a “devout” Christian who supports traditional marriage, then don’t buy his company’s product, but don’t attempt to impose your views on the rest of us by demanding that cities not grant permits to further franchises.

If cities determine to grant no business licenses to companies because of their management’s controversial politics, then we’d have to demand that cities grant no further licenses to Ben and Jerry’s franchises.

That said, the left-wing politics of that company won’t stop me from stopping by one of their stores on those occasions when I have a craving for a dish of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

NB:  Tweaked the post to fix a clumsy sentence.

RELATED: You can favor gay marriage and still believe in the right to oppose gay marriage

FROM THE COMMENTS:  MV asks some questions that this story should cause us to consider:

The fact that Chic-fila-a is a big business plays into this too because it gives the left the attention that they want. We give money to businesses all the time with out knowing their personal and political beliefs. Are the left going to start asking every business how they feel on every issue before they spend their money there?

Sometimes, I wonder if what is really driving this issue is the “need” of some folks to be upset about something — to feel victimized.

EVEN MORE FROM THE COMMENTS:  Rick Sincere, whom I referenced in the post offers:

Consumer boycotts are a legitimate exercise of free speech and free association. Sometimes they are effective and sometimes they are not, but they are always morally and politically superior to government coercion.

Once again, he hits the nail squarely on the head.

UPDATE:  Just caught this on Instapundit:

Somebody should explore this phenomenon in depth. And it’s funny that Mayor Menino is posturing as some sort of defender of decency, but there’s nothing more indecent than a city in which your right to do business depends on whether the downtown hacks approve of your ideas.

Meanwhile, I wonder if his threats didn’t open him, and Boston, up to a federal civil rights suit. He’s threatening to use the apparatus of government against people for constitutionally protected speech and beliefs.

1. Though, according to ILC, this makes me ‘self-hating’.

Comment by Sandhorse — July 27, 2012 @ 4:58 pm – July 27, 2012

And he is right.

Because, Sandhorse, the “hot coals” method that you espouse requires that the person involved have a sense of right and wrong, and that they have done you wrong in the first place.

But what is it that you have said about those against whom you practice this?

As I stated he has no moral foundation so he cannot be held to any standard.

So your “hot coals” method is actually feebly waving an old briquette.

What ILC is pointing out is that you are in fact making every excuse in the book to avoid confronting people who even you acknowledge are engaging in outright evil. You have a myriad of excuses and rationalizations, but they all essentially circle back to your belief that you are not worthy to challenge the liberals and that your ideas are just as bad as liberals say they are.

Which is the very definition of “self-hating”.

Ironically:

Or perhaps it just makes me a ‘Bible-thumper’ like Mr. Rush suggests.

Comment by Sandhorse — July 27, 2012 @ 4:58 pm – July 27, 2012

Oh no. Richard Rush is all about pretending to like Christians like yourself who can quote Scripture to explain why he is justified in brutalizing and attacking them and who will never say a word to the contrary.

Just like MSNBC and the Obama Party are all about Meghan McCain Republicans who would never actually support anything that Republicans say or do.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 27, 2012 @ 5:11 pm - July 27, 2012

2. according to ILC, this makes me ‘self-hating’

Not quite what I said, Sandhorse. But hey, if you like the shoe and find that it fits, I’ll let you keep it.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — July 27, 2012 @ 5:13 pm - July 27, 2012

3. You prefer taking out the eyes, I prefer the ‘hot coals’ method.

Comment by Sandhorse — July 27, 2012 @ 4:58 pm – July 27, 2012

I understand that your addressing ND30, Sandhorse, but I’d like to say that while I do not actually know anyone here, I’m pretty sure that ND30 would feed a starving person, or give a drink to anyone who was in danger of suffering dehydration (I think your ‘read’ of the passage you cited is too literal).
    I have done these things.
    But then this is not the issue being discussed.
    The issue is calling bad/evil out for what it is.

The beginning of wisdom is calling things by their right names.”
    – author unknown, believed to originate in ancient China

Comment by jman1961 — July 27, 2012 @ 5:16 pm - July 27, 2012

4. (continued) The problem is that I no sign of you “overcoming evil with good”. What you did in the Dan Savage case (that I tried to dialogue with you about, but you preferred to break your word given at the end of #23… “Whatevs” 😉 ), was not it.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — July 27, 2012 @ 5:17 pm - July 27, 2012

5. aargh, “The problem is that I -see- no sign…”

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — July 27, 2012 @ 5:17 pm - July 27, 2012

6. Well ILC, NDT and I took it the same way.

Comment by Sandhorse — July 27, 2012 @ 5:18 pm - July 27, 2012

7. I’m pretty sure that ND30 would feed a starving person, or give a drink to anyone who was in danger of suffering dehydration

Very much so. You don’t know the beginning of it.

Not going to say anymore because… you know how Lutherans feel about “works”, especially ones that become publicly known 😉

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — July 27, 2012 @ 5:22 pm - July 27, 2012

8. Very much so. You don’t know the beginning of it.

I don’t know directly, ILC, that’s true.
    But I do know in this sense: I’ve spent an adult lifetime doing these things; not waiting for others (read: government) to do them, but on my own time, and on my own dime.

Comment by jman1961 — July 27, 2012 @ 5:25 pm - July 27, 2012

9. I think part of the equation, too, is that Conservatives know that liberals lie, that almost everything they say is a lie. They have a certain George Costanza ethic about lying: “It’s not a lie if you believe it’s true as you’re saying.”

Take gun control. Libs will only say publicly that they want just a few “common sense” restrictions. They say something different among themselves, but this is the public face. Conservatives know the ultimate goal is the de facto banning of private firearms, because that’s what “a few common sense restrictions” have led to in other countries. And we know it’s the ultimate goal because in cities where their power is unchallenged… NYC, DC, Chicago… it’s exactly the policy they’ve put in place.

And liberals act so offended when you catch them in their lies.

This is why liberals go nuts when conservatives suggest common sense legislation to, for example, require health inspections of abortion clinics. Libs panic. “OMG! This is the first step to banning abortion.” Because that is exactly how they would start if banning abortion were their goal.

You guys don’t fool us. I wonder if you fool yourselves.

Comment by V the K — July 27, 2012 @ 5:26 pm - July 27, 2012

10. The thing that I think is funny, V the K, is that the liberals like Sandhorse who follow the “hot coals” method never seem to recognize that their non-shaming shaming method doesn’t seem to work particularly effectively.

Indeed, if you think about it, all these people that Sandhorse eschews to shame, i.e. HRC, the Obama Party, Barack Obama, Dan Savage, Kathy Griffin, and the like, continue to get WORSE, their namecalling and shouts of racist accelerating, their statist ambitions exploding, their open statements that people should be punished by government for publicly expressing their beliefs — even as Sandhorse goes on and on about how much he’s continuing to apply the overwhelming pressure of nothing to them.

Which makes me wonder: does Sandhorse really think what he’s doing is working, or has he simply found sufficient rationalization to explain his doing nothing?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 27, 2012 @ 5:36 pm - July 27, 2012

11. Actually ILC, I very much want to continue our dialog.

But right now I am not at a location I can address you’re statements fully.

And you’re absolutely correct, I did break my word. It was a moment of weakness on my part when NDT said exactly what I’ve been trying to say. Then he did a quick slight of hand and pulled Kathy Griffin (a self proclaimed ‘militant atheist’) into the conversation.

I’m not sure when I will be able to follow up, as this is the last weekend before I ‘tie the knot’ and I have tons to get done yet.

But if you keep an eye out, or perhaps in another thread, we can continue.

I won’t speak for you, but I do look forward to it.

Some food for thought before I close out. Among my liberal friends I’m referred to a misguided conservative. They wonder how I can support a candidate that is ‘out to get me’. When I come here I am an ‘Obama loving liberal’.

It reminds me when I came out and my more fundamentalist friends said I could never live a happy life till I got rid of the ‘gay’ thing. Among my gay friends they said I should ditch my faith to ‘live free’.

Comment by Sandhorse — July 27, 2012 @ 5:42 pm - July 27, 2012

12. Some food for thought before I close out. Among my liberal friends I’m referred to a misguided conservative. They wonder how I can support a candidate that is ‘out to get me’.

Comment by Sandhorse — July 27, 2012 @ 5:42 pm – July 27, 2012

And given that your “hot coals” method seemingly has done nothing to stop them from doing it, one has to wonder just how effective it is — or if your belief is that you have to suffer abuse in order to be really gay and accepted.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 27, 2012 @ 5:48 pm - July 27, 2012

13. One last post script;

jman1961 you said NDT would ‘feed a starving person, or give a drink to anyone who was in danger of suffering dehydration’. (I never said he wouldn’t)

Then you said I my ‘read’ of the passage [I] cited is too literal’.

I’m not sure if that is what you meant. But if I took that passage literally, I don’t think I could fit the ‘hot coals’ in my back pocket. Though I suppose that would bring new meaning to ‘packing heat’. 😉

Comment by Sandhorse — July 27, 2012 @ 5:52 pm - July 27, 2012

14. But right now I am not at a location I can address you’re statements fully.

OK, I know how that is. Smartphones or work computers == bad for commenting. (Home sick today, myself.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — July 27, 2012 @ 5:52 pm - July 27, 2012

15. I ‘tie the knot’

Congrats!

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — July 27, 2012 @ 5:53 pm - July 27, 2012

16. Oh man, I am gonna be late getting things done.

“Why you would choose to have people as friends who refer to you personally, regularly and directly as misguided and stupid, I have no idea.”

Because NDT, they are my friends. They may think I am misguided (they never said I was stupid) but they don’t treat me badly either. I don’t have to be of one mind with them to enjoy their company, and as a matter of fact, some of the conversations we have had, have influenced them. Something I could not accomplish if I was perpetually calling them ‘Obama loving liberals’.

I hope you don’t take this as an insult NDT, but I think you and I may have more in common then meets the eye. I never questioned your passion or your motives. Or at least I didn’t intend to, and if I have, then I sincerely apologize now. It’s clear we disagree on methodologies, but I guess it’s also clear the others here can disagree with your methods and still count you among their friends. I should hope that those who disagree with my methods would offer me the same latitude.

NDT, I would prefer to work with you rather then against you. And I genuinely mean that.

In any case I really must go, I’m gonna be knee deep in it if I don’t.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Comment by Sandhorse — July 27, 2012 @ 6:23 pm - July 27, 2012

17. THANKS ILC!!

Ok I am leaving now..

Comment by Sandhorse — July 27, 2012 @ 6:25 pm - July 27, 2012

18. […] a gay conservative blog I have read for years. They post about all the Chick-Fil-A hullabaloo here, here, here, and here. They also posted this […]

Pingback by Pro-Gay Backlash Against Government Attacks On Chick-Fil-A | RandyThomas.Co — July 27, 2012 @ 6:47 pm - July 27, 2012

19. Whoa..all this over “to eat or not to eat” a chicken sandwich.
    I am a vegetarian and don’t eat there for that reason. My desire to have a healthy heart and low body weight has made it anathema to me eat fried food anywhere (and I grew up in the South.) This is a franchise operation, so not all owners may agree with the CEO. I guess they are required to close on Sundays, but don’t think they have to sign a document that they oppose gay marriage. Much ado about nothing really. Sorry about the Shakespeare references.

Comment by Linda Strickland — July 28, 2012 @ 1:06 pm - July 28, 2012

20. Richard R — “We are dealing with people who are waging a well-funded relentless campaign to diminish the lives of gay people, and that includes me.”

Well, there’s your problem — you give a rat’s ass what they think. They’re blocking, what — your access to a government-issued piece of paper in 46 states?

Figure out why we have federalism and go ahead and live your life the way you want.

Comment by Rob Crawford — August 1, 2012 @ 12:21 pm - August 1, 2012