Republican politicians didn’t try to keep gay-friendly enterprises Disney and Home Depot out of their jurisdictions

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 6:45 pm - July 26, 2012.
Filed under: Entrepreneurs,Freedom,Gay PC Silliness

When I learned that upon the merger of Exxon and Mobil, the newly-merged company had decided to “cease offering health-care benefits to its employees’ domestic partners“, I resolved to stop filling up at Exxon or Mobil stations. ExxonMobil is a private company and should have the right to set its own employment policies. I am a private individual and have the right to choose where I buy gas for my car.

In a similar manner, two years ago, a private advocacy outfit, the American Family Association (AFA) announced a boycott of Home Depot, a private company like ExxonMobil, because, unlike said oil company, that home improvement superstore offered benefits to the same-sex partners of its employees.  This was not the first time the AFA had tried to boycott a private enterprise offering such benefits.  Sixteen years ago, the social conservative group launched a boycott against Disney.

We may not agree with their decision to boycott, but social conservatives should remain free to buy their home improvement supplies where they choose or seek recreation at destinations they select, just as I should be free to buy gas where I want and gay activists should be free to buy fast-food chicken at companies whose presidents have social views not averse to their own.

Interestingly, during all those AFA boycotts, you didn’t once hear a Republican politician try to curry favor with social conservatives by  vowing to keep Disney out of his jurisdictions or Home Depots out of her neighborhood.  They weren’t trying to impose their social views on the rest of us.

Why do so many liberals turn to government when they want to right something they believe to be wrong?

NB:  Tweaked the title so it would more accurately reflect content of post.

1. XOM halting DP benefits… Boy, that is a trip in the wayback machine! :-) Haven’t thought about it in awhile.

Because government occupies the place in their lives that God occupies in the lives of the religious: the Cosmic Parent who gives their lives meaning. (NOT meant to slam the the religious; you would surely agree that your God *is in fact* our Cosmic Parent who gives life meaning, and for my part, if I have to choose between the liberals’ God and yours, I think I’ll go with yours.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — July 26, 2012 @ 7:07 pm - July 26, 2012

2. Tad a bit dated but still recent

Comment by rusty — July 26, 2012 @ 7:28 pm - July 26, 2012

3. “The government can regulate discrimination in employment or against customers, but what the government cannot do is to punish someone for their words,” said Adam Schwartz, senior attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois. “When an alderman refuses to allow a business to open because its owner has expressed a viewpoint the government disagrees with, the government is practicing viewpoint discrimination.”
    “What the government cannot do is to punish someone for their words.”
    - Adam Schwartz, American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois
    The ACLU “strongly supports” same-sex marriage, Schwartz said, but noted that if a government can exclude a business for being against same-sex marriage, it can also exclude a business for being in support of same-sex marriage.
    “But we also support the First Amendment,” he said. “We don’ think the government should exclude Chick-fil-A because of the anti-LGBT message. We believe this is clear cut.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/26/politician-plan-to-block-chick-fil-is-unconstitutional-legal-experts-say/#ixzz21m6f1QYa

Comment by rusty — July 26, 2012 @ 7:38 pm - July 26, 2012

4. Knowing about that AFA boycott gives me a good reason to eat at McDonald’s as an alternative to Chick-Fil-A.

Comment by Rick Sincere — July 26, 2012 @ 8:35 pm - July 26, 2012

5. Passed Chick-Fil-A on the way home from work. The line at the Drive-Thru encircled the parking lot. FAIL.

Comment by V the K — July 26, 2012 @ 10:08 pm - July 26, 2012

6. The problem with liberals is that they are control freaks. My very liberal realtor acquaintance lives a bit more than a mile from me. When he comes over for dinner, he comments on my nice yard, but he always mentions that I need to pick the weeds. He also says I need a surround sound system in my abode. I nod my head, but he thinks he knows what is best for me. I will pick my weeds and get my surround sound system on my timetable, not his.

Comment by davinci — July 26, 2012 @ 10:27 pm - July 26, 2012

7. V the K,

Agreed. No boycott in recent memory has accomplished anything more then to ruffle feathers. Whether that be the boycott on CFA and Target, or JC Penny and Starbucks.

Perhaps this is a good sign. Perhaps it means that, short of the legacy media’s spastic responses. The populous in general has bigger issues on their mind.

Comment by Sandhorse — July 26, 2012 @ 10:45 pm - July 26, 2012

8. …and one of those bigger ‘issues’ is; ‘Should I get the large side of fries with that chocolate shake?’

Comment by Sandhorse — July 26, 2012 @ 10:48 pm - July 26, 2012

9. All these boycotts are well within the rights of their proponents, but seem to be miserable failures and in some cases counter-productive from what I’ve seen. If folks want to boycott Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, JC Penney, or wherever, go for it. I may or may not “join in”, mostly depending upon my own shopping preferences and needs more than anything else. Yet involving government officials? Waaaaaaay beyond the pale. I’d put aside the huge disgust I have for groups like AFA and stand with them to fight such actions, not because I agree with that group’s syand but to protect my own freedoms. Fortunately it appears these pols realize what a stupid move they did and seem to be backtracking. Good. Feel free to express your personal opinion about Chick-fil-A or other business, but leave government the hell out of it.

Comment by JohnAGJ — July 27, 2012 @ 12:19 am - July 27, 2012

10. I only “boycott” in the sense that I refuse to willingly and knowingly FUND THE ENEMY. This is why, as much as I ADORE Ben & Jerry’s “Cherry Garcia,” I won’t buy it. As much as I love animals and protecting them, the Humane Society will not get a dime from me, while the ASPCA will. You have to pick your battles, but I will not give the enemy any money if I can help it. That’s called “suicide.”

Comment by Bastiat Fan — July 27, 2012 @ 12:23 am - July 27, 2012

11. Thank you for making that distinction between ASPCA and Humane Society, BF. A little google goes a long way.

Comment by Cinesnatch — July 27, 2012 @ 12:41 am - July 27, 2012

12. In Wisconsin here, we had “buycotts” of the businesses that dared to give Scott Walker money. For some reason, when the left issues these boycotts, it kinda makes everyone annoyed and we go buy gas from Kwik Trip and eat more Johnsonville brats…sorry, not name dropping here. I think August 1st should be known as anti-fascist day…or the chik-fil-a appreciation day works…

Comment by Haunchie — July 27, 2012 @ 7:01 am - July 27, 2012

13. No boycott in recent memory has accomplished anything more then to ruffle feathers.

I direct your memory to the civilian gun owners’ boycott of Smith & Wesson. It nearly drove that company out of business and was responsible for serious changes in company policy. I don’t know whether this qualifies under your caveat of “recent memory” but it wasn’t all that long ago.

Comment by Semper Why — July 27, 2012 @ 8:27 am - July 27, 2012

14. The Chick-Fil-e boycott is a bust; in fact, the Democrats’ bashing of the company have improved business–free advertising. Now that it has backfired the liberal tyrants want their pound of flesh anyway. Idiots.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — July 27, 2012 @ 9:42 am - July 27, 2012

15. I don’t have a problem with gay people at all but I will always be against anything that gay activists are for, just because they’re such vicious, hateful, intrusive, lying bigots. They are the worst people in all of society.

Comment by Alan — July 27, 2012 @ 10:11 am - July 27, 2012

16. Ironic that the left, who constantly hold themselves out as the defenders of free speech, now support a gov prohibition of a business based on the owners private views. Fortunately there are a few people on the left, including some gay spokesman, who have enough integrity to oppose this contemptable action.

I wonder, I haven’t heard anything from the president on this. He sure seems to never hesitate on something like this when he can bash a conservative, but pretty silent now.

Comment by richard40 — July 27, 2012 @ 10:34 am - July 27, 2012

17. Two points: First, should a city refuse to let a pro-choice business open, would the Left be as wildly supportive of this abuse of power. (we already know the answer to that).

Second: People who don’t like the positions held by Chik Fil A’s management can “punish” them by taking their money elsewhere. But if someone doesn’t like what goes on at a Planned Parenthood clinic, they can take their —no, wait, they can’t. Planned Parenthood receives federal funding, that is, taxpayer money. As taxpayers, we can’t take our money away from this business who’s activities we dislike. Do you think the Left would be in support of giving us the same option on Planned Parenthood (removing our funding) that they want to exercise on the evil Chicken Purveyor?

Comment by LordJiggy — July 27, 2012 @ 11:07 am - July 27, 2012

18. Careful on your terminology. ExxonMobil and Home Depot are not private companies; both are publicly traded. Chick-Fil-A is a privately held company, and does not trade its stock publicly.

Comment by Guy — July 27, 2012 @ 12:55 pm - July 27, 2012

19. Why thank you, cinesnatch. I try to spread the word far and wide that the Humane Society is NOT who you think they are. Appreciate it.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — July 27, 2012 @ 1:37 pm - July 27, 2012

20. Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I still avoid Exxon stations… a choice made easier by the fact they charge 8 to 10 cents per gallon higher than other brands in my area. The yanking of DP benefits was the straw that broke my consumer back coming on the heels of Exxon Valdez, etc.

I always laughed at the AFA and Concerned Women’s self-righteous boycotts of various companies, including their bluster about how politicians should help them advance their agendas by banning companies from offering benefits, and refusing to discriminate against gay employees. Thankfully, while the Rick Santorums stoked this rhetoric, the Republican controlled Congress never really advanced such a plan.

I’ve always said true conservatives trust the market enough to make their own decisions of what businesses to support, no matter what outcome the evangelicals want. And true Christians also support letting Americans make their own choices.

Of course we know the likes of Rahm Emanuel and the Boston mayor and the President are none of those things. So in their minds, the proper response is to NOT trust whatever decision we would make.

And for the record, after watching in disgust from the sidelines, I’m choosing NOT to patronize Chik-fil-a because of their decision to post an outright lie in their restaurants about the Muppets toys posing safety hazards to children when the truth is the Jim Henson company severed their relationship to Chik-fil-a for the view of Mr. Cathy. And I am not supporting the efforts of anti-Chik-fil-a efforts because of their reliance on government fiat.

Comment by PopArt — July 27, 2012 @ 1:54 pm - July 27, 2012

21. [...] More thoughts over at Gay Patriot, plus a recognition that Republican politicians didn’t try to keep gay-friendly enterprises Disney and Home Depot out of th… No, but Republican politics isn’t based around always having someone to hate. For the left, [...]

Pingback by Instapundit » Blog Archive » MICHAEL BARONE: Liberal Officials Penalizing Free Speech. “As a conservative on most issues and a … — July 27, 2012 @ 4:12 pm - July 27, 2012

22. [...] blog I have read for years. They post about all the Chick-Fil-A hullabaloo here, here, here, and here. They also posted this [...]

Pingback by Pro-Gay Backlash Against Government Attacks On Chick-Fil-A | RandyThomas.Co — July 27, 2012 @ 6:49 pm - July 27, 2012