Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 6:54 pm - July 31, 2012.
Filed under: Gay PC Silliness,Hysteria on the Left,Media Bias

A week ago today, in response to a reader’s e-mail, I had begun a post on the Chick-fil-A hullabaloo.  I agreed with Mark Hemingway that the media had invented the story that Chick-fil-A’s president had condemned gay marriage. That said, I wasn’t comfortable with what that president had said about traditional marriage:

Dan Cathy, the president and chief operating officer of Chick-fil-A, said in a radio interview this week that same-sex marriage is “inviting God’s judgment on our nation.”

Appearing on “The Ken Coleman Show,” Cathy spoke of his company’s pride in its socially conservative character, but then offered an assessment of same-sex marriage that might lose the popular fast food chain a few customers.

“I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,’” said Cathy.

I decided to scotch the planned post.  I wouldn’t join my fellow conservatives in castigating the chicken chain’s critics nor would I join my fellow gays in branding the Christian businessman a bigot.  I would simply refrain from buying chicken there.  The story would soon fade.  It is not a matter of pressing national interest.

Many on the left, however, wouldn’t let up.  On Facebook, some friends seemed to alternate between positing attacks on Mitt Romney and issuing broadsides against Mr. Cathy — and his company.  Soon, as Ed Morrisey summarized, “politicians in several large American cities attempted to disprove” the

. . . notion of a free country in which people can operate their businesses regardless of their religion or political point of view. Boston Mayor Thomas Menino sent a letter to Cathy stating that “[t]here is no place for discrimination on Boston’s Freedom Trail and no place for your company alongside it.” (Chick-fil-A’s website explicitly states that they do not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation in employment or in commerce, by the way.)

(Morrissey via Reynolds.)  And despite that non-discrimination policy, other urban politicians vowed o keep Chick-fil-A as far from their cities as possible.  At the same time, not a such public figure could provide a single example of a gay employee mistreated or dismissed because of his sexuality or a gay customer denied service (or otherwise denigrated) because he did not accept the biblical definition of marriage.

Still, our friends in the legacy media continued to give the story more coverage than they do to the various gaffes of President Obama, paying more attention to the views of private chicken chain’s president than to the failure of the Obama Justice Department to provide 92% of the documents the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform has subpoenaed in the Fast and Furious scandal.  Not to mention the legacy media’s continued ignorance of other administration actions.

You’d think the federal government’s actions would excite more media interest than the opinions of the president of a chicken chain.  Yet, on Yahoo!’s home page this afternoon, nearly two full week after the Chick-fil-A hullabaloo started, they’re still clucking about this story:

They’ve given it more attention than they have to the failure of the president’s press secretary to identify the capital of Israel.

This, my friends, is not a story about gay marriage or an item of pressing national interest, but about the need for certain liberals to feel good about themselves by attacking the supposedly intolerant in our society. They want to emulate their noble forebears who stood up to real bigots like Bull Connor, George Wallace and other advocates of the pernicious scheme of segregation.

And to show how “noble” they are, today’s liberals believe they need an enemy to vilify.  They’re constantly looking for their Emmanuel Goldstein.

Now that our friends on the left have identified their latest villain and embarked on their two-minute week hate, I’ve gained some sympathy for the Christian-owned chicken chain.  Last Tuesday, I had planned to ignore the story — and keep away from Chick-fil-A’s Hollywood franchise.  Today, when a (formerly left-leaning) lesbian friend announced (on Facebook) her intention to visit the restaurant when she was in the area, I offered to join her.

FROM THE COMMENTS:  Although indicating that he is “Not even a Chick-Fil-A fan,”  Chris H “went Friday night” and “will probably drop by for breakfast tomorrow on my way to work.”  The left, he added, “can’t just disagree with people, it has to destroy them.”  In conclusion, he quipped, “I hardly think eating a chicken sandwich is going to set back gay rights 100 years.”

1. Not even a Chick-Fil-A fan, but I went Friday night. I will probably drop by for breakfast tomorrow on my way to work.

The left can’t just disagree with people, it has to destroy them.

The left doesn’t feel that people that disagree with them are just mistaken or misguided, it believes they are EVIL.

BTW – In 2009 Chick-Fil-A did $3.2 billion of sales and donated $1.7 million to allegedly “anti-gay” groups. That means they donate .000541443438 cents of every dollar to “anti-gay” organizations.

Comment by Chris H — July 31, 2012 @ 7:13 pm - July 31, 2012

2. BTW – Twitchy reports that it’s not going so well…

Comment by Chris H — July 31, 2012 @ 7:23 pm - July 31, 2012

3. real bigots like Bull Connor, George Wallace and other advocates of the pernicious scheme of segregation.

Shorter: Democrats.

I will probably drop by for breakfast tomorrow on my way to work.

Love the chicken, egg & cheese on the multi-grain bagel. The chicken bites on mini biscuits are cool too.

Comment by TGC — July 31, 2012 @ 7:37 pm - July 31, 2012

4. I love Chick-fil-A! It is the best chicken available at fast food restaurants. I will almost certainly continue to visit weekly.

Avoid them if you want. It is your right. I certainly avoid many chains engaged in political causes that I do not support. Fair is fair. But you are missing some great chicken…

Comment by WarEagle82 — July 31, 2012 @ 7:48 pm - July 31, 2012

5. In 2009 Chick-Fil-A donated .000541443438 cents of every dollar to “anti-gay” organizations.

And according to the Pink Mafia, that is WAY more than they should be allowed to give…

Comment by WarEagle82 — July 31, 2012 @ 7:50 pm - July 31, 2012

6. Very true, Chris…but I’m pretty sure continued screaming about how being against gay marriage is the same as being a complete homophobe WILL set gay rights back quite a bit.

Comment by Mel Maguire — July 31, 2012 @ 8:04 pm - July 31, 2012

7. And meanwhile, back at the ranch-house, er, in Boston, the Mayor who can find no space for Chick-fil-A held out the welcome mat for an Islamic group which has a leader calling for the defenestration or immolation of gay people.
    Priorities, anyone?

Comment by Bill G — July 31, 2012 @ 8:25 pm - July 31, 2012

8. Bill G, do you have a link on that?

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — July 31, 2012 @ 8:38 pm - July 31, 2012

9. I linked to it in an earlier thread, Dan.

Comment by V the K — July 31, 2012 @ 8:43 pm - July 31, 2012

10. Man, oh, man. Jeffrey Robert “Jeff” Immelt, CEO of General Electric gets my goat every time I turn around.

But am I going to sit in the dark because all my light bulbs have G.E. stamped on them?

Chick-fil-A is either a tasty treat in your world or you can live without it. Whatever. What if you don’t like Cathy’s expressed views concerning homosexuality? Don’t read his words. Meanwhile, are you mentally able to go into the restaurant and enjoy the food? Or, are you so hung up on the man over the nosh that you can’t enjoy or even digest the food?

It all boils down to personal choices. It takes a lot of energy to carry a grudge and much more to hate. So, if you prefer to boycott Cathy, have you considered whether your energy and keeping the grudge alive is worth the concentration of your principle strutting? What do you say to a friend who shares your status but not your principled objection to anything and everything Chick-fil-A?

Up perspective-scope. Or is it a proctology-scope?

Comment by heliotrope — July 31, 2012 @ 8:44 pm - July 31, 2012

11. Backfiring much?

Comment by V the K — July 31, 2012 @ 10:26 pm - July 31, 2012

12. I haven’t noticed anyone here talking about the list of boycotts orchestrated by the Christian-based American Family Association. Here is a list of some of them: Home Depot, McDonald’s, The Gap, 7-Eleven, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Airlines, American Girl, Blockbuster Video, Burger King, Calvin Klein, Carl’s Jr., Clorox, Comcast, Crest, Ford, Hallmark Cards, Kmart, Kraft Foods, S. C. Johnson & Son, Movie Gallery, Microsoft, MTV, Mary Kay, NutriSystem, Old Navy, IKEA, Sears, Pampers, Procter & Gamble, Target, Tide, Walt Disney Company, and PepsiCo. And just over the last few days I read that Google and Amazon may be added to the list.

When it comes to boycotts, nobody outdoes the American Family Association, and their sub-outfits, such as OneMillionMoms.

Comment by Richard R — July 31, 2012 @ 10:39 pm - July 31, 2012

13. I haven’t noticed anyone here talking about the list of boycotts orchestrated by the Christian-based American Family Association.

Comment by Richard R — July 31, 2012 @ 10:39 pm – July 31, 2012

I see the pathetic talking points puppet Richard Rush is desperately trying to spin this one.

Maybe that’s because Richard Rush and his fellow fascists who stated that they were going to use the force of LAW to ban a private company from operating because they disliked the owner’s exercise of freedom of speech and freedom of religion are desperate to equivocate for their blatantly-UNconstitutional behavior.

Which is particularly hilarious, because their gay-sex liberalism supports and endorses their Obama Party joining hands with gay-sex marriage opponents who also call for gays to be executed.

Last but certainly not least, since the gay-sex liberal bigot Richard Rush wishes to condemn boycotts as hateful and wrong, the gay-sex liberal bigot can condemn the boycotts that he and his fellow bigots are attempting to carry out.

Furthermore, the gay-sex liberal bigot Richard Rush needs to condemn the Nation of Islam, call for a “kiss-in” at their restaurant, and circulate a petition on Change.org demanding that Louis Farrakhan repudiate his beliefs and endorse gay-sex marriage.

Until the gay-sex liberal bigot Richard Rush does that, he’s nothing more than a pathetic, worthless hypocrite.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — July 31, 2012 @ 11:05 pm - July 31, 2012

14. I haven’t noticed anyone here talking about the list of boycotts orchestrated by the Christian-based American Family Association. Here is a list of some of them: Home Depot, McDonald’s, The Gap, 7-Eleven, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Airlines,

Good point Richard, and as we all know each of these companies were utterly decimated by the American Family Association’s boycotts so it just goes to show that……. Oh wait a minute! Aren’t all of these companies still in business and thriving as best they can in the Obama economy?

Why I do believe they are. So it actually goes to show that for all of AFA’s whining they were unable or unwilling to attempt to prevent these companies from setting up business in certain areas and they let the public speak. And the customer base overall yawned at their yammering for a boycott.

And wouldn’t you know it, where Chick-fil-a has stores that haven’t been shut down or prevented from opening by the Nanny State, the public might have just yawned at the calls for boycotts. But instead, since we are dealing with Leftists who feel their purpose for being is interfering in the business of businesses and making sure they act “appropriately” and say and harbor only “correct” beliefs, Americans who value their constitutional freedoms have now been prompted to step up and vehemently support a business they see as under attack. In addition, some like Dan and myself, who strongly disagree with the tone and stance taken by Mr. Cathy have decided to also purchase chick-fila-a’s product. I feel similar to Dan as I feel Mr. Cathy does have a serious problem with gay Americans enjoying the same freedoms as everyone else. Nonetheless, he has a right to this opinion and to contribute his money where he wants. His employees and franchise owners also have a right to make a living and conduct business as long as they abide by sound practices and do not harass or discriminate against customers or employees.

So while, like Dan, I originally planned to keep on the sidelines of this fight and not patronize Chick-fil-a but also not express support for the boycott, I am reconsidering this position now that the Nanny State Leftists have become 100 times more offensive than Mr. Cathy’s original statements. Great job Democrats. Have fun hangin’ with Dr. Farrakhan and others of his ilk who want to see gays executed in the public square.

Comment by PopArt — August 1, 2012 @ 12:04 am - August 1, 2012

15. I’ve never been to a Chick-Fil-A, but have been thinking I should visit one sometime soon. Maybe this weekend.

Comment by Kurt — August 1, 2012 @ 12:09 am - August 1, 2012

16. trying to get the logic here, V and Bill G, we should ban chicken places because their owing opposes gay marriage, but welcome a mosque with a leader who favors killing homosexuals?

Where was HRC on this one? Did they run banner headlines criticizing the mosque?

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — August 1, 2012 @ 1:34 am - August 1, 2012

17. […] many Jews there, it seems GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – The Little Satan Factor Gay Patriot – Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain VA Right! – Obama: “I got Bin Laden BUT YOU didn’t Build that Business” The Glittering Eye […]

Pingback by Watcher of Weasels » Watcher’s Council Nominations – Summer Trip Edition — August 1, 2012 @ 5:04 am - August 1, 2012

18. I haven’t noticed anyone here talking about the list of boycotts orchestrated by the Christian-based American Family Association.

Because Christians don’t go around saying they hope people who don’t follow their boycotts die of cancer.

Comment by V the K — August 1, 2012 @ 6:59 am - August 1, 2012

19. […] Gay Patriot – Emmanuel Goldstein?s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by This Week’s Watcher’s Council Nominations–Summer Trip Edition | therightplanet.com — August 1, 2012 @ 7:07 am - August 1, 2012

20. […] Gay Patriot – Emmanuel Goldstein?s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by This Week’s Watcher’s Council Nominations | therightplanet.com — August 1, 2012 @ 7:11 am - August 1, 2012

21. From a straight that is pro gay rights #6 post is spot on.
    Tony

Comment by Tony — August 1, 2012 @ 7:16 am - August 1, 2012

22. I think any efforts to actually shut down an existing store or prevent a new one from opening as a result of this Chick-fil-A flap would be a flop, and rightly so. I strongly oppose such efforts.

Comment by Richard R — August 1, 2012 @ 8:27 am - August 1, 2012

23. […] many Jews there, it seemsGrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – The Little Satan FactorGay Patriot – Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken ChainVA Right! – Obama: “I got Bin Laden BUT YOU didn’t Build that Business”The Glittering […]

Pingback by Watcher’s Council Nominations – Summer Trip Edition | Virginia Right! — August 1, 2012 @ 8:27 am - August 1, 2012

24. Good on saying the right thing Richard. Now will you stop ” waging a well-funded relentless campaign to diminish the lives of religious people, and that includes me.””

Comment by The_Livewire — August 1, 2012 @ 9:48 am - August 1, 2012

25. My patronage has nothing to do with being for or against SSM .. It’s more of a statement of not letting the leftists succeed in squelching debate.

Agree. I have supported SSM for 2 decades (since way before my fellow gays decided it was cool), but this has less to do with SSM than with “liberal” fascism. And hypocrisy; if the Gay Left wants to picket someone who hates gays, they should try Louis Farrakhan. They always go for the safe targets, how is that?

Wish I could patronize Chick-Fil-A, but they are not in my area.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 1, 2012 @ 10:21 am - August 1, 2012

26. […] Gay Patriot – Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by Bookworm Room » Watcher’s nominations — August 1, 2012 @ 10:48 am - August 1, 2012

27. This isn’t about chicken or gay rights, it’s about resisting fascism.

Comment by V the K — August 1, 2012 @ 11:25 am - August 1, 2012

28. Wheter it’s from the left or the right, boycotts are silly. They rarely ever work. Usually, they end up helping the business get publicity and gain more popularity. When what’s her face raised a stink against the Simpsons during the first year of it’s run, her protests cause more people to watch it, and probably solidified it’s 22 year run.

Comment by sonicfrog — August 1, 2012 @ 12:29 pm - August 1, 2012

29. #22: “I think any efforts to actually shut down an existing store or prevent a new one from opening as a result of this Chick-fil-A flap would be a flop, and rightly so. I strongly oppose such efforts.”

The fu*k you do, Richard R. If you really did, you would be able to say so without all the speculative disclaimers about how efforts made by local governments to shut down existing Chick-Fil-A restaurants (or block the opening of new ones) would be ‘a flop.’ The issue RIGHT NOW is local government officials across the US using their political clout to bully, condemn, and demagogue Chick-Fil-A in their official capacities, which you don’t even allude to in your comment (much less oppose).

Just give it up. No one believes you. #Fail

Comment by Sean A — August 1, 2012 @ 12:51 pm - August 1, 2012

30. […] Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Watcher of Weasels — First Nominees of August 2012 — August 1, 2012 @ 1:14 pm - August 1, 2012

31. Is it just me, or is it DEE-LISH-US to see that today (National Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day), there are TRAFFIC JAMS half a mile long just to GET TO a close Chick-Fil-A, lines to get into their stores are in excess of 500 people, and in towns with Wendy’s stores near Chick-Fil-A stores, the Wendy’s owners are asking people to go have lunch at Chick-Fil-A today. Lord, I love me some my conservative brothers and sisters. Oh, and notice there’s no “flash mobs,” thugs or violence at ANY of these restaurants? And I’d be willing to put money on it that the stores and their parking lots are cleaner AFTER people have stopped by than they were before.
    Contrast that with an OWS thug-in. Tells you everything you need to know about the difference between fascist lefties (see Richard. R. @12) and DECENT people like V the K, B. Daniel, and Livewire. Yes, Richard R., I SAID IT: generally speaking, the people on your side are whiny, petulant, spoiled, nasty and frankly MISERABLE people.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — August 1, 2012 @ 1:17 pm - August 1, 2012

32. Oops…forgot to mention Tony @21: HE gets it. MOST straight people do. This about fighting FASCISM. Thanks Tony. You’re a mensch. (If you need that translated, I defer to B. Daniel.)

Comment by Bastiat Fan — August 1, 2012 @ 1:19 pm - August 1, 2012

33. Sean A said,

Oh, sorry for the oversight, Sean. I’m totally pleased with government officials speaking out against Chick-fil-A, as long as they don’t threaten to shut them down or prevent them from opening new restaurants.

Comment by Richard R — August 1, 2012 @ 2:16 pm - August 1, 2012

34. […] Gay Patriot – Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by Trevor Loudon's New Zeal Blog — August 1, 2012 @ 2:33 pm - August 1, 2012

35. They always go for the safe targets, how is that?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 1, 2012 @ 10:21 am – August 1, 2012

Because they’re gutless bastards, that’s how.
    Picking ‘safe targets’ is a defining characteristic of cowards (or, if you like, leftists, as they’re nearly universally synonymous).
    Cowards don’t want a real fight, where the opponent fights just as hard, and harder, and if need be, just as dirty, and dirtier.

Comment by jman1961 — August 1, 2012 @ 2:46 pm - August 1, 2012

36. Added bonus: Chick-Fil-a is GOOD. Their lemonade is unbelievable, and the waffle fries are a religious experience.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — August 1, 2012 @ 1:19 pm – August 1, 2012

Made my first trip yesterday to one of only two Chick-Fil-A’s here in the Northeast.
    The crowd waiting to order was larger than those for all the other businesses (6, I think) in this mall’s food court.
    The staff was VERY friendly and efficient (there was even 1 employee handing out samples of their chicken nuggets to those waiting in line, and they were the only moist and tasty food of that type that I’d ever eaten), and it took very little time to complete my order.
    My chicken salad sandwich, grilled chicken club and salad were very fresh and super tasty.
    And Bastiat is spot on: the waffle fries were fantastic!

Comment by jman1961 — August 1, 2012 @ 2:55 pm - August 1, 2012

37. So glad you enjoyed the food, jman…and GOOD FOR YOU for checking the place out and supporting our push back against FASCISM.

Cheers!

Comment by Bastiat Fan — August 1, 2012 @ 3:27 pm - August 1, 2012

38. I’d have checked them out sooner, Bastiat, but I assumed (wrongly!) that they were a strictly ‘southern’ presence.
    And they’re only a mile from my home!
    Hmmmm, I wonder if they’d consider a ‘take-out’ option? 😉

Comment by jman1961 — August 1, 2012 @ 3:34 pm - August 1, 2012

39. Errrr, they are ‘take-out’.
    I meant ‘delivery’.

Comment by jman1961 — August 1, 2012 @ 3:42 pm - August 1, 2012

40. @39–sounds like an opportunity for an entrepreneur in your area to perhaps BUILD A BUSINESS. Oh, wait…just make sure said entrepreneur gives President Downgrade and Big Government the credit for building it.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — August 1, 2012 @ 6:03 pm - August 1, 2012

41. […] Gay Patriot – Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by Watcher’s Council Nominations – Summer Trip Edition | askmarion — August 1, 2012 @ 6:28 pm - August 1, 2012

42. […] Gay Patriot – Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by Watcher’s Council Nominations – Summer Trip Edition | Independent Sentinel — August 1, 2012 @ 6:54 pm - August 1, 2012

43. […] Gay Patriot – Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by New Black Panther Party Story at Watcher of Weasels Council – Thank You! | Maggie's Notebook — August 1, 2012 @ 8:23 pm - August 1, 2012

44. According to their restaurant locator, there isn’t a single Chick-fil-A anywhere in Washington state. If their food and service is so good, it would seem like a good idea to expand to more places, including Canada. They would pretty much only have to compete with KFC here. There are other fast food chicken restaurants here, but they don’t have much of a presence (at least not in any areas I’ve been to). Based on the reviews I’ve seen, I really hope they do that.

Comment by Rattlesnake — August 2, 2012 @ 1:44 am - August 2, 2012

45. Forgetting Cathy’s opinions and forgetting protestors, both of whom have the right to their views, when the government tries to punish people for their personal opinions, we’re talking thought police and police state. It’s Fascism.

Comment by Sara — August 2, 2012 @ 7:32 pm - August 2, 2012

46. […] Gay Patriot – Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by You Didn’t Build That! | — August 2, 2012 @ 9:49 pm - August 2, 2012

47. […] – The Right Planet- Obama’s Islamic AgendaFourth place *t* with 1 vote – Gay Patriot- Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – The Razor – Break Up the Banks and Unleash the Future of […]

Pingback by Watcher of Weasels » The Council Has Spoken!! This Week’s Watchers Council Results — August 3, 2012 @ 3:45 am - August 3, 2012

48. […] Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Gay Patriot- Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by This Week’s Watchers Council Results | therightplanet.com — August 3, 2012 @ 9:52 am - August 3, 2012

49. […] Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Gay Patriot- Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Watcher of Weasels — First Winners of August 2012 — August 3, 2012 @ 10:01 am - August 3, 2012

50. […] Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Gay Patriot – Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by Trevor Loudon's New Zeal Blog — August 3, 2012 @ 4:26 pm - August 3, 2012

51. […] Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Gay Patriot- Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by Watcher of Weasels Selections! | Independent Sentinel — August 4, 2012 @ 1:56 am - August 4, 2012

52. […] Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Gay Patriot – Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by The Council Has Spoken!! This Week’s Watchers Council Results – 08/03/12 | askmarion — August 5, 2012 @ 12:58 am - August 5, 2012

53. […] Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Gay Patriot- Emmanuel Goldstein’s Chicken Chain […]

Pingback by Bookworm Room » Past weeks’ Watcher’s Council winners — August 8, 2012 @ 5:28 pm - August 8, 2012