At the Hollywood Chick-fil-A with a gay and a lesbian reader

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 2:20 am - August 2, 2012.
Filed under: Freedom,LA Stories

Along with two readers, Chris H and a former left-leaning lesbian, I ventured out last night to the Chick-fil-A at Sunset and Highland in Hollywood.  I had to park three blocks away.  When I arrived, the line for the drive-thru wrapped around the block from McCadden (where the entrance was, onto Sunset and then onto Highland.

I joined my lesbian friend in long line to a packed restaurant.  We would not be able to find a seat in the outdoor seating area (and had to stand while we ate our meal).  A news team was there and interviewed me when they learned I was gay.

The crowd was very supportive as I made clear that this was about freedom, saying that I disagreed with Mr. Cathy’s stand on gay marriage, but also that I disagreed with Ben and Jerry’s politics, but still eat their ice cream.

Chris soon arrived and we hugged, right in front of Chick-fil-A. No one insulted us. In fact, one woman thanked me for saying when I did. She would not be the last patron to approach us when we indicated we were gay.

It was almost a party atmosphere, with everyone friendly. My lesbian friend said it reminded her of a Tea Party. The service was most polite. The manager Alex had remembered me from earlier in the day and welcomed me back. The food was good, with the lemonade particularly tart, the way I like it. Alex told me they squeeze the lemons fresh every morning.

And there were some protesters, most friendly, but a few angry.  (Pictures below the fold.)  When it was time for us to head home, I hugged Chris and kissed him on the cheek.   Our lesbian friend engaged the protesters.

1. Of course I did. So much fun tonight, great party like atmosphere, and a great cross section of the city. The left should really take note, Northridge apparently ran out of chicken, and these places were full all around the country… ohhh… I can see November from my house.

Comment by formerlyleftleaninglesbian — August 2, 2012 @ 2:50 am - August 2, 2012

2. Well done! This is about Freedom of Speech NOT about our sexual preferences!!! I am proud of both sides!

Comment by Rita K — August 2, 2012 @ 3:22 am - August 2, 2012

3. You guys are the awesomest. Here’s my excellent adventure in the heart of Chick-fil-A country but in the belly of the beast! CNN! http://www.megapotamus.com/wp/?p=508

Comment by megapotamus — August 2, 2012 @ 4:12 am - August 2, 2012

4. If standing for freedom of thought and other people’s right to disagree with me makes me a “homophobic religious nut-case freak”, then so be it.

The real “h8rs” are the people who slag that label at anyone who won’t instantly validate them. As usual, the (gay) Left has three or more fingers pointing back at itself, when it tries to point the finger at others. Sad.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 2, 2012 @ 4:47 am - August 2, 2012

5. Just curious, as I was traveling all day and literally overnight: Was there any press coverage in the MSM of the Chick-Fil-A lines? I told my wife I would have bet there was none. She hadn’t seen the news to know, either, but I can’t see the “it’s always racism” anchors of NBC et al trumpeting the ‘buycott’.

Comment by Mo — August 2, 2012 @ 6:39 am - August 2, 2012

6. You guys are awesome! Standing up to intolerant bullies is always A Good Thing and I don’t care who y’are.

Comment by sdog — August 2, 2012 @ 7:33 am - August 2, 2012

7. @ 5 Mo, Special Report on Fox covered it last night, making the point that the free speech issue was the real point of the buycott. My local news, in Baltimore, covered it, too, which surprised me a bit.

Comment by Retread — August 2, 2012 @ 7:45 am - August 2, 2012

8. Rock ON!

Comment by kc — August 2, 2012 @ 7:52 am - August 2, 2012

9. Enjoyed the write up, it really is about Freedom for all.

Comment by Suzanne Brodbeck — August 2, 2012 @ 8:07 am - August 2, 2012

10. Our local NBC news covered it last night as their top story, with a pretty positive spin. Of course, we are in the greater Atlanta area, where the Cathy family is generally well-loved. Still, I was pleasantly surprised.

Comment by Susanne in Georgia — August 2, 2012 @ 8:22 am - August 2, 2012

11. I think one reason the pushback was so strong is that people are fed up with politicians, activists, and media types lecturing them about values and morals; especially since they have none.

Comment by V the K — August 2, 2012 @ 9:14 am - August 2, 2012

12. Local news reported it here as well.

Comment by The_Livewire — August 2, 2012 @ 9:29 am - August 2, 2012

13. Thank you for the article. YOU got it! ” I made clear that this was about freedom.”

But then I knew you would. : )

It is about the 1st Amendment of the Constitution.

Comment by Candice — August 2, 2012 @ 10:22 am - August 2, 2012

14. So happy that so many came out :) yay!!! I find it sad how they bash the Christians when at the same time want what they do, get married!! Thanks for the report

Comment by jann — August 2, 2012 @ 10:23 am - August 2, 2012

15. Just watched you on ABC7, Dan you were great, unfortunately ABC presented it only as gay marriage, never a word about freedom of speech. They mentioned that the Abbey across the street will be offering a chicken sandwich till the election – it just didn’t look very good and I’m sure it’s twice the price.

Comment by Leah — August 2, 2012 @ 10:34 am - August 2, 2012

16. A news team was there…

C’mon Dan, you can do better than that. Station/outlet name? Video link??

Comment by RSG — August 2, 2012 @ 10:42 am - August 2, 2012

17. Was there any press coverage in the MSM of the Chick-Fil-A lines?

Tons of it! Every program on FNC that I listened to had coverage; I assume PMSDNC also had coverage (though I personally can’t say for sure). The [TV] market news leader in Denver opened with local live shots of it for their Noon news broadcast; even The Beeb had coverage of it (at least online & BBC World Service).

At first I thought it was to make up for a non-Olympic slow news week for those outlets which didn’t have Olympic press access. But when even NBC affiliates open with a local side to the story, there has to be something more.

Comment by RSG — August 2, 2012 @ 10:53 am - August 2, 2012

18. http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/html5/video?id=8758772&pid=null&section=null

BDB here is the link

Comment by rusty — August 2, 2012 @ 10:55 am - August 2, 2012

19. This debacle has mutated into a HUGE WIN for Chicken-a-fillet, they couldn’t buy this kind of media exposure….though I still wouldn’t eat there.

Three things saved them;
    1. Since most of the stores are franchises, people where smart-enough to understand and separate their local restaurant from “Corporate”.
    2. Thankfully for them, this was about a corporate-stakeholder’s statement and NOT about some incident of actual abuse or discrimination aimed at the G/L community, individuals or customers.
    3. The local franchisees in jurisdictions with G/L non-discrimination laws demonstrated that they respected their G/L employees and customers. This isolating the issue to one of an option….not a discriminatory behavior.

Thus Chicken-a-fillet and their supporters on the Left and the Right were able to re-frame the discussion as one of free speech and religious toleration….not the more narrowly-supported question of SSM.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — August 2, 2012 @ 11:44 am - August 2, 2012

20. Great post. Thanks. I was there yesterday too. I challenged one protestor to actually mingle among the patrons and experience an American reality beyond his slogans.

Comment by rrpjr — August 2, 2012 @ 11:54 am - August 2, 2012

21. Thanks for this! So glad you had a great time -

Comment by Teresa in Fort Worth, TX — August 2, 2012 @ 12:33 pm - August 2, 2012

22. [...] At the Hollywood Chick-fil-A with a gay and a lesbian reader [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » I bought Chick-fil-A’s product; I didn’t buy its owner’s politics — August 2, 2012 @ 12:35 pm - August 2, 2012

23. At our local CFA in Laguna Niguel, CA, the drive thru lines were around the building and down the street all day. Lines outside when we decided to go–at the “Off-time” of 4pm!–were out the door. They’d largely run out of food items by 5pm.

And yet… the crowd was uniformly polite, cordial, patient; the restaurant was crammed with families with well-behaved kids–no screaming, whining, inappropriate behavior in THIS group!–and no one raised a fuss when they couldn’t get their favorite sandwich.

The vast majority of hate-filled anti-Conservatives have no idea what they’re missing. If more of the rabid radicals would’ve actually mingled yesterday–or would actually attend a Tea Party event–they’d be shocked at the absolute absence of hate.

Particular kudos to the STAFF at CFA. After what had to be a brutally long day, filled with high-pressure, the employees were uniformly cheerful, helpful, and in great spirits; still willing and eager to go the extra mile to make sure everyone was happy to be there. It’s obvious that the company’s strong values extend to their hiring practices.

Thanks for your courage, BDB, and I’m so glad that you and your friends had a good time.

Comment by AuVox — August 2, 2012 @ 1:18 pm - August 2, 2012

24. So much beauty was experienced tonight, darn shame so many were just not opened to it…

The real “h8rs” are the people who slag that label (“homophobic religious nut-case freak”) at anyone who won’t instantly validate them.

I think one reason the pushback was so strong is that people are fed up with politicians, activists, and media types lecturing them about values and morals; especially since they (politicians, activists, and media types) have none.

Amen.

Comment by heliotrope — August 2, 2012 @ 2:05 pm - August 2, 2012

25. [...] At the Hollywood Chick-fil-A with a gay and a lesbian reader [...]

Pingback by GayPatriot » How Chick-fil-A haters promoted that chicken chain’s lemonade — August 2, 2012 @ 3:46 pm - August 2, 2012

26. [...] a well-known gay Republican and supporter of gay marriage, was out with his partner to Chick-Fil-A. He got some Chick-Fil-A food, and spent some time talking to the pro-marriage Chick-Fil-A customers. And everyone was nice to [...]

Pingback by Chick-Fil-A appreciation day sets sales record « Wintery Knight — August 2, 2012 @ 10:38 pm - August 2, 2012

27. [...] left, but he nevertheless makes a good point about how those terms have lost their meaning. He also shows , as does this piece, that diverse voices have spoken in support of [...]

Pingback by Of Milkshakes and Malcontents | The Pugnacious Irishman — August 11, 2012 @ 3:17 pm - August 11, 2012