I bought Chick-fil-A’s product; I didn’t buy its owner’s politics

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 12:30 pm - August 2, 2012.
Filed under: Freedom

Last night, Allahpundit linked an interview with the man behind Chick-fil-A appreciation day, former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee. I don’t always agree with the charismatic social conservative, but this time he’s spot on; I encourage you to watch the video in its entirety. It’s only four minutes.

Huckabee made it clear that this was largely about freedom of speech, not about gay marriage, as some would spin it.

Just after the 2-minute mark, he says he’d love to ask the various urban politicians (who want to block Chick-fil-A from building franchises in their community) what gave them the “right to censor” commerce just because they disagreed with “someone who worked there.” Then, he points out that the CEOs of Amazon, Apple, Ben and Jerry’s and Starbucks all “give generously” to support same-sex marriage, yet he still partakes of those products.

“I’m not buying their politics,” he emphasized, “I’m buying their products.” And that’s what I felt like last night when I joined a gay and a lesbian reader at the Chick-fil-A on Sunset & Highland in Hollywood.

How many products do we buy everyday with a full knowledge of the political views of the owners of the company show produces?  On my desk, by this Apple computer, I see a variety of Uniball pens, Stabilo and Dixon Ticonderoga pencils, a Canon camera, a Sony digital recorder, a cup of coffee made from beans bought at Starbucks, a bowl which until recently contained McCann’s Irish Oatmeal.

I have been impressed by their quality of these products.  Now, from Governor Huckabee’s interview, I learned that two of those products (the computer and the coffee) have CEOs who support state recognition of same-sex marriage.  What do the CEOs of the other companies support?  I don’t know.  I do know that I like their products.

So, why is it all of sudden that some are singling out Chick-fil-A?  Surely, other companies have social conservative CEOs?  Should we know start surveying those CEOs and choose a product based on its owner’s or the product’s quality?

FROM THE COMMENTS:  V the K  quips that

1. Excellent post! I agree with you. There’s several organizations such as Apple and Nike that are constantly taking heat for their work conditions for the workers they employ in China. I’m certain there’s plenty of people who do not enjoy nor agree with their stance on how old someone is to work there or their low wages. At the same time, we’re told by the left that we should allow amnesty because the price of produce will rise if American workers take fruit picking jobs. Selective morality and selective outrage are the Left’s MO.

Comment by Megan Medley (@Radiovixen) — August 2, 2012 @ 12:43 pm - August 2, 2012

2. ” Should we know start surveying those CEOs and choose a product based on its owner’s or the product’s quality?”

Quite a few people do. Three words – socially responsible investing.

Comment by Mikhail Koulikov — August 2, 2012 @ 12:53 pm - August 2, 2012

3. Since politics is the religion of the left – they have become the worst offenders of religious intolerance of anyone out there. Well except for the Muslims – they still hold the record for most intolerant.

Comment by Leah — August 2, 2012 @ 12:55 pm - August 2, 2012

4. After all of those years whining about politicians lecturing on “Family Values” you would think the left might have figured out that the other side doesnt care to hear shrill lectures about values from left-wing activists either.

Comment by V the K — August 2, 2012 @ 1:14 pm - August 2, 2012

5. GLBT supportive Google, Apple and Microsoft likely designed the OS systems that smartphones that were used to capture events at Chika fil a outlets across the country.

These pictures were likely uploaded (using Apple, Microsoft and Google products) to GLBT supportive social networks! Facebook and Twitter, over one of the major The major cell networks, Verizon, ATT, Sprint or Tmobile.

Customers probably purchased a beverage, which was provided by GLBT supportive CocaCola-the only product at Chik fil A.

If they used a credit or debit card it was more than likely a Visa, MasterCard or American Express.

If they drove their it was probably a vehicle that was produced by Ford, Chrysler, GM or Toyota, or Suburu. All Support GLBT folk.

But make sure you realize that sharing opinions about the Chik fil a experiences via a computer was a result of the great Alan Turing, the famed creator of AI and the early computer.

*this is a revision of a FB post floating around today.

Comment by rusty — August 2, 2012 @ 1:21 pm - August 2, 2012

6. As I understand it, people have the right to not support a company if they don’t like something the company does. In this instance, I feel fairly strongly that people need to mind their own business with regards to what people do in their private lives, i.e. gay marriage, gay rights, what god people worship, etc. I do not think companies should be prohibited from setting up shop in a particular place based on the spiritual views of the owner, or based on whether it offends the “community values” of the area it’s being built in. Do I think that people are right to make a stink about Chik Fil A being anti-gay marriage ? I think they have the right to be upset and to say it loudly…but not to be disruptive in the process.

Comment by james — August 2, 2012 @ 1:30 pm - August 2, 2012

7. Is it safe to assume that there’s hardly a corporation out there where any of us would agree with the politics of all the board members?

Comment by Jay — August 2, 2012 @ 2:05 pm - August 2, 2012

8. GLBT supportive Google, Apple and Microsoft likely designed the OS systems that smartphones that were used to capture events at Chika fil a outlets across the country.

And likely, GLBT people use many innovations developed by Christians, or perhaps even by (a separate category) homophobes. These type of arguments cut both ways and I don’t put a lot of stock in them.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 2, 2012 @ 2:06 pm - August 2, 2012

9. *this is a revision of a FB post floating around today.

Comment by rusty — August 2, 2012 @ 1:21 pm – August 2, 2012

And you know what’s funny, rusty?

None of those people are standing up as elected officials, screaming that said companies should be banned from operating, and using their positions to make it happen. Indeed, while they’re probably disagreeing with said company’s stances, they’re not even boycotting them.

They are being tolerant and understanding.

But LGBT bigots and their Obama Party supporters are doing the exact opposite. LGBT bigots are screaming for boycotts, calling anyone who eats at Chick-Fil-A a bigot, calling gays and lesbians who defend Chick-Fil-A self-loathing Jewish Nazis, and — most disgustingly — in direct violation of First Amendment law and jurisprudence, stating that they are shutting down and expelling businesses because of the owner’s or representative’s religious beliefs and freedom of speech.

Which shows how much more depraved and pathetic LGBT people are. You and your fellow LGBT supporters, rusty, cannot tolerate ANYONE believing or expressing themselves differently than you can. You are so pathetically bigoted and intolerant that you will violate one of the most fundamental laws of the United States, the First Amendment to the US Constitution, to punish and suppress, using the full force of government, anyone who disagrees with you.

The American people have had it. They have tried being nice and polite. They have elected gay and “gay-supportive” officials. And once in office, these officials have abused their power to punish anyone who disagrees with them or dares to say anything with which they disagree publicly.

You blew it, rusty. Every single initiative from this point forward will be seen as an attempt to violate and punish free speech and freedom of religion. Every gay candidate will be seen as a wannabe fascist who intends to use the power of their office to violate and punish free speech and freedom of religion.

If you are smart, you will shut the hell up, back away from the idiots, and start making it clear that you’re not interested in suppressing religious belief. But since you’re not, you’re sitting here screaming and trying to claim that the people who disagree with you are hypocrites.

That’s because this has never been about gay marriage, gay rights, or anything of the sort; it’s about bigots like you using government to carry out your revenge fantasies against religion and those who disagree with you.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — August 2, 2012 @ 2:06 pm - August 2, 2012

10. I’m gay. I agree. For me, this is about free speech not religion.

Comment by Chip — August 2, 2012 @ 2:24 pm - August 2, 2012

11. Yesterday on facebook, one of my liberal friends compared Chik-Fil-A to the long shuddered Sambo’s restaurant chain, which went under because the name was labeled as racist.

The restaurant itself was not racist. The name itself was a combination of the names of the two owners, Sam Battistone Sr and Newell Bohnett. The decor of the restaurant was taken from the Indian book “The Story Of The Little Black Sambo”, which was not racist. Unlike Dennys, there don’t seem to be any complaints against it concerning either hiring practices or service concerning blacks or any other ethnicity. The owners, as far as I can tell, did not intend for the name to convey racist intent. There doesn’t seem to be any trace of racism connected to the Battistone Foundation charity, founded in 1968, which helped low income peoples rent places to live. I assume that includes people of color.

PS. BTW, if the food was good, I’d eat at a joint called Faggots in a heartbeat!!!! 🙂

Comment by sonicfrog — August 2, 2012 @ 2:37 pm - August 2, 2012

12. the right scoop has a video of some guy in Az.going through the drive thru at Chik-fil-a.He doesn’t curse or raise his voice,but he’s a real piece of work.The poor girl at the window she remained gracious,but look at her face.What a jerk.HE CAN”T TOLERATE HATE….RIGHT

Comment by pamiam — August 2, 2012 @ 2:49 pm - August 2, 2012

13. Dang NDT, I am not quite sure how to express myself with your desire to give lil’ ol’ me so much of your attention. I am blushing 🙂

Caught myself reading your response during Bruno Mars ‘just the way you are’!

Smooches. . .Dan

Ciao, rusty

Comment by rusty — August 2, 2012 @ 4:41 pm - August 2, 2012

14. As someone who is pro-life (and by the way, fully supports gay marriage) it is virtually impossible for me to operate as a modern citizen without having at least some of my money going to organizations that I detest. Even if I could avoid that, the government (state and federal) is going to take that money from me anyway and give it to those organizations.

So while everyone is free to attempt to engage in “socially conscious investing”, I think for most people it’s virtually impossible to ONLY use products where none of your products are going to support things you don’t believe in. Do the majority of people ask what a company believes on gay rights, abortion, the PPACA, global warming, corporate tax rates, and everything else under the sun before choosing to use their products? If you can do so great for you, but not all of us can afford to do that. It gets even more complicated when one’s politics go on separate sides of the aisle.

Also, since I am pro life, I am involved in donating to organizations that prohibits someone’s “rights”. My decision to support that organization is an exercise of my free speech rights. The government should NEVER be in a position to tell others what groups they can or cannot support, since many of us are in severe disagreement about how far these rights should extend.

I support gay rights and if there is a referendum in my state to support gay marriage, I will go vote for it but I’m sick of being labeled a bigot and a homophobe by people who don’t know me because they feel threatened by the fact that I tolerate and do business with people who are different from me. Who is the actual tolerant one here? I’m not seeing that from a lot of aspects of the gay community right now.

Comment by Kat — August 2, 2012 @ 4:51 pm - August 2, 2012

15. What are the owner’s politics? He said he would leave the marriage debate to the political process. He made a statement about his view of same-sex marriage as a moral issue.

Comment by Dennis — August 2, 2012 @ 4:53 pm - August 2, 2012

16. NDT, back at my iPad at this popped up and you immediately came to mind

Elephants produce sounds like humans do, a recent study suggests. But their vocal cords are eight times longer and they can be heard up to six miles away.

Comment by rusty — August 2, 2012 @ 5:19 pm - August 2, 2012

17. Thanks for this, probably wouldn’t have seen it if you didn’t blog it. I posted it on my Facebook page. Rare that I agree with Huckabee, but this Chick Fil A thing is getting ridiculous.

Comment by aj — August 2, 2012 @ 5:45 pm - August 2, 2012

18. The only things I consider when deciding which business to patronize are the quality and cost of the product, and, to a lesser extent, customer service. I don’t care about the politics of the owner, how the company treats its employees, or the company’s environmental record. However, I don’t usually buy organic or “fair trade” products, but that is more because of how expensive it is (but if I had the choice between two products of equal price, one “fair trade” and one non-“fair trade,” I would buy the latter assuming everything else was the same).

I think average Muslim is probably much more tolerant than the average lefty.

It is worth pointing out that any powerful politician saying that a business shouldn’t be allowed in a certain jurisdiction is tantamount to intimidation and is therefore an infringement of free speech.

Not necessarily; it depends on how you define “anti-gay” and what you consider a “right.” Obviously, people disagree on those things even though there is only one possible truth.

Comment by Rattlesnake — August 2, 2012 @ 6:56 pm - August 2, 2012

19. […] the other side doesnt care to hear shrill lectures about values from left-wing activists either. http://www.gaypatriot.net/2012/08/02…ners-politics/ comments Excellent post! I agree with you. There’s several organizations such as Apple and […]

Pingback by Chick-fil-A Contraversy — August 2, 2012 @ 7:05 pm - August 2, 2012

20. Here’s an excellent question. Why does Rahm Emanuel elicit support from Louis Farrakhan to patrol the streets in Chicago? It is amazing how liberal Jews are always cowtowing and holding hands with known anti Semites. Liberal Jews are really stupid and clueless when they try to make nice with people that would kill or maim them in a heartbeat.

Comment by davinci — August 2, 2012 @ 7:53 pm - August 2, 2012

21. sonicfrog, I did a double take when I read your comment #11 about Sambo’s. I was once employed by Sambo’s – not in a restaurant, but in a corporate support function at three different regional offices over a period of several years. Sadly, I never worked at corporate headquarters in beautiful Santa Barbara, CA, but fortunately I was able to visit a few times a year. Of all the jobs I’ve had before becoming self-employed, Sambo’s was my favorite, by far.

I think your comments about Sambo’s are correct, EXCEPT that I don’t think the company went under because of the name being labeled as racist, although that did become an issue in some locations. I think they went under because of some poor business management decisions. They had expanded the number of restaurants across the US very rabidly in the 1970s, and got overextended financially combined with a loss of control of restaurant quality.

One of the interesting things was that just as conditions started to deteriorate, they had architects design a magnificent new headquarters edifice. I remember seeing the detailed architectural model. Needless to say, it never got built.

Comment by Richard R — August 2, 2012 @ 8:25 pm - August 2, 2012

22. I could be wrong about why it went under. I do however remember as a kid hearing a lot of talk about that restaurant because of it’s name. That can’t have helped.

Comment by sonicfrog — August 2, 2012 @ 8:35 pm - August 2, 2012

23. #6: “I also don’t think anyone should be giving money to anti-gay groups, because that stops being free speech and begins to be actively working against people’s rights.”

james, this is the rationale of people who do not believe in free speech and it is routinely used by the leftist thought police to silence conservatives. Are you really so obtuse that you can’t see the flaw in your test regarding when something ‘stops being free speech’ and becomes ‘actively working against people’s rights’? Liberals claim that they have a ‘right’ to free healthcare, so under your test, anyone who supports political groups seeking the repeal of Obamacare isn’t engaging in free speech but rather is ‘actively working against people’s rights.’ Liberals claim they have a ‘right’ to receive subsidized contraception from Catholic institutions that employ them, so under your test, the Catholic organizations working to reverse the contraception mandate based on their faith aren’t engaging in free speech, but rather are ‘actively working against people’s rights.’ And on and on and on…

There are as many examples as there are political causes/positions that conservatives support because this is what anti-free speech liberals like you do, james. You simply claim to have a ‘right’ to everything on your utopian wish list (with no constitutional basis whatsoever). That way, everything conservatives say or do in opposition can be silenced because it’s not free speech–it’s ‘actively working against people’s rights.’

Consequently, if you really believe that claptrap you posted you’re either a fascist or a constitutionally-illiterate moron. Which is it?

Comment by Sean A — August 2, 2012 @ 10:36 pm - August 2, 2012

24. […] Chick-Fil-A customers. And everyone was nice to him. He is not a militant secularist – he thinks that everyone should be able to participate in defining policy and not be discriminated against for their views. No one who went to Chick-Fil-A was protesting […]

Pingback by Chick-Fil-A appreciation day sets sales record « Wintery Knight — August 2, 2012 @ 10:40 pm - August 2, 2012

25. What you mean to say is tha you have no backbone and no sense of principles or morals. You are a mecenary and will do anything for money or pleasure regardless of who it hurts or how much it sacrifices your sense of self-worth. I read posts like yours and at first I think this is a parody similar to a story you would see in The Onion but then, I realize you are for real. I feel both sorry for you and also disgusted. Why not go get straight conversion therapy if you hate being gay so much at hate other gays. I’m not saying you need to be a radical leftist protestor but at least have some pride in yourself and do something to help the community rather than hurt it. There are enough straight christains who want to see gay people disappear. Why jopin them??

Comment by anthonyc — August 2, 2012 @ 11:50 pm - August 2, 2012

26. AnthonyC-

That’s quite a wild assumption to say that we “hate being gay” and are “sacrificing our self-worth.”

The “self-loathing” talking point is constantly used by the leftist gay activists to TRY to damage our self-worth by shaming us back on to the leftist gay plantation.

Sorry, our self-worth comes from our own accomplishments and beliefs and not from our sexual orientation. Being gay doesn’t automatically force us to also be leftists.

Some of us find the LGBT activist crowd to be far more damaging to our interests than helpful.

Comment by Chris H — August 3, 2012 @ 2:45 am - August 3, 2012

27. Shorter anthonyc “There are people out there who disagree with me? I’m always right and perfect so they must be evil!”

Comment by The_Livewire — August 3, 2012 @ 8:22 am - August 3, 2012

28. To me, someone who is self-loathing is someone who suppresses his values and character in order to fit in order to gain the acceptance of a peer group and fears the rejection of that group so much he not only conforms completely to that group’s requirements but also feels compelled to attack those outside his clique.

Sound familiar, Anthonyc?

Comment by V the K — August 3, 2012 @ 8:45 am - August 3, 2012

29. I’m not saying you need to be a radical leftist protestor but at least have some pride in yourself and do something to help the community rather than hurt it.

Please explain who “he” is, what he’s doing to “hurt” the community, and what you think he should do to help it.

Comment by Sonicfrog — August 3, 2012 @ 11:42 am - August 3, 2012