Has once-hyped Obamania bitten the dust?

Sure sounds like it with this report that more than one half of Obama’s twitter followers being fake:

President Obama’s Twitter account has 18.8 million followers — but more than half of them really don’t exist, according to reports.

A new Web tool has determined that 70% of Obama’s crowd includes “fake followers,” The New York Times reports in a story about how Twitter followers can be purchased.

To me, sounds like the once-hyped Obamania is biting the dust.

Unlike my coblogger, however, I don’t tweet and don’t really understand how the medium works.  To me, this sounds significant. But, then, maybe in the twitter-verse, it’s par for the course?

1. No, it’s not par for the course to have spam following your account. Twitter blocks those accounts for one thing.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — August 24, 2012 @ 3:54 pm - August 24, 2012

2. Ever heard of Brett Cohen? This isn’t a political video, but still, I think it explains Obama’s appeal… and why He might win again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYU1a0lTTTw&feature=player_embedded

H/t Zero Hedge: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/friday-humor-infinite-human-stupidity

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 24, 2012 @ 7:00 pm - August 24, 2012

3. Having fake followers on social media like Twitter is no more indicative of the decline of Obamania than using Tide laundry detergent is indicative of stock ownership in Procter & Gamble: it’s all about marketing, to one degree or another.

Case in point—I have a lesbian friend who has the Obama thank-you-for-yer-support family photo postcard on her refrigerator. She also has a framed poster with one of the many quotes from The Half-Black Messiah on the wall of her den. She would vote for him even if it was determined that he was reading The Kama Sutra as the bedtime story to his daughters. (Or if Valerie Jarrett was using them as her personal instruments of pleasure.) Her contact with the Internet is minimal; she doesn’t read weblogs, or The Nation, and she certainly doesn’t Tweet or use Facebook. She doesn’t even have an e-mail account under her own name and probably would be hard pressed to login to the one her partner uses if her partner died.

The point of all this being that there are a cadre of voters out there who still think the Hawaiian Emperor is wearing beautiful handcrafted garments of organically-grown, cruelty-free, green-energy-produced material and are completely uninfluenced by anything on the Internet or its related concerns unless it survives the 24-hour legacy media cycle. They will be more than happy to sing the praises of The Chosen One to whomever will listen and may be in doubt about why He is deserving of at least one more term to finally accomplish what the nasty Repugnicans have hindered him from doing—after all, it really is Bush’s Fault why we’re in the mess we’re in.

Aside from the idol worship, I think there’s a far too prevalent myth that many voters are connected 24/7 and really pay attention to what some twit tweets and gins up into a story. I think there’s more than enough likely voters who may only watch an hour of television legacy media and read a daily newspaper from which to glean their worldly information to propel B.O. back into office in November.

Comment by RSG — August 24, 2012 @ 7:54 pm - August 24, 2012

4. Obama used to only use the Straw man fallacy.
    Recently I noticed he uses the fallacy of the Band Wagon a lot in his speeches.
    Now, it looks to me like his Twitter account was one big fallacious band wagon.
    (Climb aboard, don’t wait too long.
    All the good spots will be gone!)
    Riiiiiiiiight.

Comment by Nan G — August 24, 2012 @ 8:34 pm - August 24, 2012

5. No reasonably intelligent person can deny this. All you have to do is look at the way the Other Side has been running its campaign. Instead of focusing on the big issues that are important to the American People, it has fired a relentlessly negative barrage of distortions, misrepresentations, and flat-out lies.

Just look at the Other Side’s latest commercial, which take a perfectly reasonable statement by the candidate for My Side completely out of context to make it seem as if he is saying something nefarious. This just shows you how desperate the Other Side is and how willing it is to mislead the American People.

The Other Side also has been hammering away at My Side to release certain documents that have nothing to do with anything, and making all sorts of outrageous accusations about what might be in them. Meanwhile, the Other Side has stonewalled perfectly reasonable requests to release its own documents that would expose some very embarrassing details if anybody ever found out what was in them. This just shows you what a bunch of hypocrites they are.

Naturally, the media won’t report any of this. Major newspapers and cable networks jump all over anything they think will make My Side look bad. Yet they completely ignore critically important and incredibly relevant information that would be devastating to the Other Side if it could ever be verified.

I will admit the candidates for My Side do make occasional blunders. These usually happen at the end of exhausting 19-hour days and are perfectly understandable. Our leaders are only human, after all. Nevertheless, the Other Side inevitably makes a big fat deal out of these trivial gaffes, while completely ignoring its own candidates’ incredibly thoughtless and stupid remarks – remarks that reveal the Other Side’s true nature, which is genuinely frightening.

My Side has produced a visionary program that will get the economy moving, put the American People back to work, strengthen national security, return fiscal integrity to Washington, and restore our standing in the international community. What does the Other Side have to offer? Nothing but the same old disproven, discredited policies that got us into our current mess in the first place.

Don’t take my word for it, though. I recently read about an analysis by an independent, nonpartisan organization that supports My Side. It proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that everything I have been saying about the Other Side was true all along. Of course, the Other Side refuses to acknowledge any of this. It is too busy cranking out so-called studies by so-called experts who are actually  nothing but partisan hacks. This just shows you that the Other Side lives in its own little echo chamber and refuses to listen to anyone who has not already drunk its Kool-Aid.

Let’s face it: The Other Side is held hostage by a radical, failed ideology. I have been doing some research on the Internet, and I have learned this ideology was developed by a very obscure but nonetheless profoundly influential writer with a strange-sounding name who enjoyed brief celebrity several decades ago. If you look carefully, you can trace nearly all the Other Side’s policies for the past half-century back to the writings of this one person.

To be sure, the Other Side also has been influenced by its powerful supporters. These include a reclusive billionaire who has funded a number of organizations far outside the political mainstream; several politicians who have said outrageous things over the years; and an alarmingly large number of completely clueless ordinary Americans who are being used as tools and don’t even know it.

These people are really pathetic, too. The other day I saw a YouTube video in which My Side sent an investigator and a cameraman to a rally being held by the Other Side, where the investigator proceeded to ask some real zingers. It was hilarious! First off, the people at the rally wore T-shirts with all kinds of lame messages that they actually thought were really clever. Plus, many of the people who were interviewed were overweight, sweaty, flushed, and generally not very attractive. But what was really funny was how stupid they were. There is no way anyone could watch that video and not come away convinced the people on My Side are smarter, and that My Side is therefore right about everything.

Besides, it’s clear that the people on the Other Side are driven by mindless anger – unlike My Side, which is filled with passionate idealism and righteous indignation. That indignation, I hasten to add, is entirely justified. I have read several articles in publications that support My Side that expose what a truly dangerous group the Other Side is, and how thoroughly committed it is to imposing its radical, failed agenda on the rest of us.

That is why I believe 2012 is, without a doubt, the defining election of our lifetime. The difference between My Side and the Other Side could not be greater. That is why it absolutely must win on November 6.

This column originally appeared in the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Comment by rusty — August 25, 2012 @ 1:51 am - August 25, 2012

6. Daniel, is your title for this item sort of a reference to The Clash tune, London Calling? (lyric: “Phony Beatlemania has finally bit the dust.”)

Comment by Donny D. — August 25, 2012 @ 3:20 pm - August 25, 2012

7. I’d guess it is… the precise line is “phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust” 🙂

Obama used to only use the Straw man fallacy.
    Recently I noticed he uses the fallacy of the Band Wagon a lot in his speeches.
    Now, it looks to me like his Twitter account was one big fallacious band wagon.

As suggested at #2, Obama is like a fake celebrity who has pranked America. And is still trying to prank America.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — August 26, 2012 @ 11:14 am - August 26, 2012