Log Cabin endorses Mitt Romney

For this blogger, it has, in a way, come full circle.  I wouldn’t be blogging here if, in 2004, the then-leadership of Log Cabin hadn’t made a spectacle of itself in very publicly not endorsing George W. Bush.

Either Polipundit or Instapundit, two of the blogs I read back then linked some blog telling Log Cabin to stick for not endorsing W.  I followed the link and discovered GayPatriot, e-mailing the blogger and telling him that he was right.  Soon, Bruce asked me to join the blog.  I never thought I would devote as much time to it as I do today.

And today, Log Cabin announced that they were endorsing Mitt Romney for President of the United States:

“The decision to endorse is the right one for our members, our community, and for the nation as a whole,” said Log Cabin Republicans Executive Director, R. Clarke Cooper. “Despite our disagreement with Governor Romney on the issue of marriage, on balance it is clear that in today’s economic climate, concern for the future of our country must be the highest priority. We are Republicans, and we agree with Governor Romney’s vision for America in which success is a virtue, equal opportunity is ensured, and leaders recognize that it is the American people, not government, that build our nation and fuel its prosperity. On issues of particular concern to the LGBT community, we believe Governor Romney will move the ball forward compared to past Republican presidents. No matter who is in the White House, it is crucial our community always has a credible voice speaking out on behalf of LGBT Americans. Log Cabin Republicans will be that voice to President Mitt Romney.”

Emphasis added.  Well said, Clarke.  You’ve shown how a gay Republican group should go about supporting a Republican candidate with whom they do not always see eye-to-eye.

Had the 2004 leader of the organization spoken this way in 2004, I might not be blogging today.

1. That is the reason that I ditched Log Cabin, and have since joined GOProud. That, and the LCR were always making out with the Human Rights Campaign, the left arm of the DNC.

Comment by Paul — October 23, 2012 @ 12:21 pm - October 23, 2012

2. We’ve all seen how the african-american has treated their fellows that have said they are voting for Romney. How long before the LGBT community starts calling the Log Cabin folks Aunt Toms? Uncle Marys?

Comment by Brass — October 23, 2012 @ 12:27 pm - October 23, 2012

3. [...] GOOD, WE NEED EVERYONE: Log Cabin endorses Mitt Romney [...]

Pingback by Instapundit » Blog Archive » GOOD, WE NEED EVERYONE: Log Cabin endorses Mitt Romney … — October 23, 2012 @ 12:57 pm - October 23, 2012

4. This is good news indeed. Hopefully this will set the tone and tenor of LCR going forward. From time to time there has been tension in Log Cabin from its foundation. In 1980, then President of LCR LA, (it was the only LCR then) Lynn Turner, along with about nine others resigned from the club because the majority voted to endorse Ronald Reagan instead of John Anderson. I ascended to the presidency of the club. In 1992, while registering voters (Republican), a relatively new member, and also newly elected to the AD Central Committee, was telling people to vote for Bill Clinton, because he promised to cut taxes. Another LCR member, also LARCCC member had Clinton bumper stickers on his car. I voted to have both removed from the Central Committee. Since then I was viewed as a pariah and loose cannon. They were happy to have my dues but hoped that I would attend meetings. So this show of unity just might be short lived and the the RINOS

Comment by Roberto — October 23, 2012 @ 1:19 pm - October 23, 2012

5. (to continue, the space bar sent) the RINOS will take the club back into the liberal camp.

Comment by Roberto — October 23, 2012 @ 1:22 pm - October 23, 2012

6. I’m not gay, but I visit your site occasionally to stay abreast of the issues. I am so proud to read your site and to know that, as gay conservatives, you stand up for America. You are not bullies. You are not hell bent on tearing America down. Despite issues on which there is disagreement, you still have the heart, fortitude, and logic to save our country and bring people together. God bless ya for that.

Comment by Lar Cnagas — October 23, 2012 @ 1:27 pm - October 23, 2012

7. Wow, when are people in America going to understand that you cannot buy women’s and homosexual rights with money? It also does not buy you happiness. This is a sign of self-hate for the Log Cabin Republicans.

Comment by Anne — October 23, 2012 @ 2:04 pm - October 23, 2012

8. I once had an interest in following the ideas of the Log Cabin Republicans. But when they started to get agenda aggressive for their special interests, I turned them off and out of my arena of interest.

If they can take the lead from the GayPatriot example and put the country well ahead of sexual orientation identity, I would be open to reexamining their message.

Such is the fickle nature of this straight guy who is not all that bothered by real diversity.

Comment by heliotrope — October 23, 2012 @ 2:15 pm - October 23, 2012

9. I was a long time (early 90′s) LCR supporter and in fact my partner served on the national board.

I left LCR when they decided that they were a gay activist organization first and conservatives second, third or forth.

Hopefully LCR can return to being a group for conservatives and let the activists go hang out at the HRC.

Comment by Bobo from Texas — October 23, 2012 @ 2:51 pm - October 23, 2012

10. Amazing …the LCR still exists?

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — October 23, 2012 @ 3:05 pm - October 23, 2012

11. LCR are the country club Republicans. GOProud are the Tea Party.

Comment by V the K — October 23, 2012 @ 3:36 pm - October 23, 2012

12. The Log Cabin Republicans need to prove they have principles rather than a gay identity organization. They still have too much to prove to me since they will stab Conservatives in the back at the drop of a hat. As N the K says, the Log Cabin Republicans are the GOP establishment & GOProud is the Tea Party.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — October 23, 2012 @ 3:48 pm - October 23, 2012

13. As V the K says…

Damn typos.

Comment by Sebastian Shaw — October 23, 2012 @ 3:49 pm - October 23, 2012

14. Ditto Dan!

Comment by JebnTex — October 23, 2012 @ 5:29 pm - October 23, 2012

15. Ditto to what V said. Tea Party on, dude!

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — October 23, 2012 @ 6:06 pm - October 23, 2012

16. I never considered the comparison between GOProud and the Tea Party, but that’s dead on. I vented a bit in another thread, so let me just say that I grew weary of fighting other Republicans in the LCR and am happy to be connected to GOProud and the principles they stand up for. I don’t know what it would take for me to reconsider going back to the LCRs, but I am both gay and a conservative, no matter what anyone else thinks. I’m happy to have finally found an organization that espouses what I believe. I’ll be quiet now…..

Comment by Dottie Laird — October 23, 2012 @ 7:20 pm - October 23, 2012

17. [...] Log Cabin endorses Mitt Romney [...]

Pingback by The Morning Links (10/24/12) | Lady Liberty 1885 — October 24, 2012 @ 7:03 am - October 24, 2012

18. Thank you for sharing Dottie. Like you, I’ve felt just as strongly on this issue and my allegiance to LCR fell off a few years ago for similar reasons partly because while out and proud, it was as if LCR (in spite of the R in their name) acted too ashamed about what are supposedly their core beliefs in small government and other true conservative principles. GOProud has shown me it is possible to be Proud on all scores.

You said everything else I could have thought of to say.

Comment by PopArt — October 25, 2012 @ 9:07 am - October 25, 2012