BULLETIN: KYLE WOOD APPEARS TO RECANT STORY

Just reading this now:

According to the Madison Police Department, Kyle Wood has recanted his story about being assaulted in his home on the morning of Wednesday, October 24th. Wood had told officers and reporters (including me) that he had been strangled and beaten, and thought it was because he was a gay man working for a Republican candidate for Congress.

I knew we should have been more skeptical. It was my hunch at the start.

I personally apologize for not waiting longer.

I’m sure Dan will say more as well.

-Bruce

1. As I just got done saying, I think it’s still fair to say that, had the party affiliations been reversed, HRC and the Gay Left would have been all over it from minute one. But that point becomes moot (or not a “teachable moment”, as they say), with Wood now withdrawing his story.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 29, 2012 @ 8:20 pm - October 29, 2012

2. As I just got done saying, I think it’s still fair to say that, had the party affiliations been reversed, HRC and the Gay Left would have been all over it from minute one.

I have a feeling they would make excuses for this sort of behaviour even after the revelation that it was faked (assuming that it was faked). They probably would have blamed the “homophobic atmosphere” or something, and failed to condemn the action.

I doubt any conservative has any hesitation about calling this disgusting.

Comment by Rattlesnake — October 29, 2012 @ 8:25 pm - October 29, 2012

3. I doubt any conservative has any hesitation about calling this disgusting.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — October 29, 2012 @ 8:43 pm - October 29, 2012

4. My only hesitation is that this is all we have to go on: “In an interview this afternoon with Madison Police detectives, the victim in this case recanted his earlier statements in regards to this crime.” What does that mean, really? I know it means that there is no legal case, but it doesn’t yet mean absolutely that Wood lied. A person can recant a true story. I’m not saying Wood’s story is true; just that there is a little bit further to go here, before I condemn Wood as a lying a-hole.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 29, 2012 @ 8:48 pm - October 29, 2012

5. (continued) If he did lie, then yeah, that’s disgusting. Reprehensible.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 29, 2012 @ 8:49 pm - October 29, 2012

6. Well it happens all the time on Queerty too, so don’t feel badly. Plenty of attention hoars out there. But yeah, what did he recant? Did he actually give HIMSELF a concussion? Or was it the husband?

Comment by swarm — October 29, 2012 @ 8:54 pm - October 29, 2012

7. That’s because we conservatives have a little thing called “integrity,” Rattlesnake. But you knew that, didn’t you?

Of course.

Although, as ILC says, there isn’t really enough information to draw any conclusions at this point. My comment is true if it is assumed that the whole thing was a hoax, in which case, it makes me sick.

Comment by Rattlesnake — October 29, 2012 @ 9:49 pm - October 29, 2012

8. I believe that we have duties to (1) pass moral judgment, but (2) not rush to judgment. Balancing them is not easy (especially without omniscience) and can lead to some awkward constructions.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 29, 2012 @ 10:07 pm - October 29, 2012

9. Like I said in the other thread. We “Trust, but verify.”

Comment by The_Livewire — October 30, 2012 @ 8:06 am - October 30, 2012

10. Update, looks like he lied from the beginning: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/176338211.html

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 30, 2012 @ 11:39 am - October 30, 2012

11. the reason the liberal media ignored this was because only a complete idiot would believe it. red flag central, boys.

Comment by VeetoTHAk — November 3, 2012 @ 4:18 pm - November 3, 2012