Conservative media cover Kyle Wood Bashing; Gay Outfits Silent

In my last post, I noted how my searches for “Kyle Wood” on HRC & GLAAD’s website came up empty.

During my afternoon blog read, I discovered that Ace was on this story as was Breitbart.

Can someone please explain why HRC castigated Sarah Palin for her silence when her daughter used the word “faggot”, but can’t get around to covering a story about a gay Republican who had been beaten and hospitalized after someone spray-painted “faggot” on his car?

FROM THE COMMENTS:  rusty  reports that “Kyle Wood recants assault charges” and provides this link-http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/purple-wisconsin/176334541.html?ipad=y

1. Kyle Wood recants assault charges

Comment by rusty — October 29, 2012 @ 7:25 pm - October 29, 2012

2. If he was lying, that’s bad.
    If he was intimidated into recanting, that’s bad.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 29, 2012 @ 7:40 pm - October 29, 2012

3. Let’s be honest.

Lefty GLBTers wish ill to center right GLBT-ers.

I have never heard a center right GLBTer wish anything other than health, happiness, and prosperity to the left of centers.

Comment by Geena — October 29, 2012 @ 7:43 pm - October 29, 2012

4. Some things didn’t add up

1. Clear picture of Kyle on stretcher yet he had no photos documenting the vandalism
    Who took the pic?

2. With recent vandalism, would one be so willing to open a door to a stranger?

3. The Lee campaign folk seemed very reluctant to chat it up.

4. Early reports put Wood into a category of needing further hospitilization, yet he was only treated at a hospital.

Comment by rusty — October 29, 2012 @ 7:43 pm - October 29, 2012

5. IF he made this all up, SHAME on him. I despise lying and opportunism no matter WHICH side it comes from. If there’s something more to the story, please bring it on.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — October 29, 2012 @ 7:46 pm - October 29, 2012

6. So-called ‘gay rights organizations’ aren’t off the hook. They didn’t know it was fiction any more than we did.

Comment by Ignatius — October 29, 2012 @ 8:02 pm - October 29, 2012

7. rusty, fair points.

But it did not sound 100% impossible. So in my initial comments, I tried to strike a balance by granting Wood’s story – under conditional qualifiers like “Apparently…” and “Assuming this is a real incident…”

As days passed, I began to grant a bit more credence to Wood’s story; evidently a mistake. On the other hand, *on current information* I still can’t rule out a chance that Wood may have had a real story (and was perhaps intimidated into recanting).

My main point, or lesson, is that one should be careful about these stories – regardless of political persuasion. And I think it’s still fair to say that, had the party affiliations been reversed, HRC and the Gay Left would have been ALL OVER this, not waiting for the full information. But it’s moot (or not a “teachable moment”, as they say), with Wood now withdrawing his story.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 29, 2012 @ 8:07 pm - October 29, 2012

8. So-called ‘gay rights organizations’ aren’t off the hook. They didn’t know it was fiction any more than we did.

Yes. But… the collapse of the story kills the ‘teachable moment’, if any. That’s how people’s minds work.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 29, 2012 @ 8:11 pm - October 29, 2012

9. FTR, although I expressed skepticism about the point rusty made, I find the comments bashing him here weird. (over the top, out of place, etc.)
    Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 29, 2012 @ 9:31 am – October 29, 2012

Much appreciated

Comment by rusty — October 29, 2012 @ 8:18 pm - October 29, 2012

10. Glad you caught that one :-) since the post fell off the main page, quickly after I commented on it this morning.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 29, 2012 @ 8:25 pm - October 29, 2012

11. I thought of your point “2″ at least, when I heard the story. Opening your door to be immediately collared by a masked stranger after a backdrop of threats / vandalism… it sounded odd.

I’m thinking that, if it was me, I probably would have done the same (although, I don’t usually open the door if I don’t know who the person on the other side of the door is, but I’ll forget that for a moment). Considering all of the hatred that gay conservatives receive, I probably wouldn’t even think anything about the vandalism or threats (of course, I would have actually had to be there to be certain of what I would do).

Comment by Rattlesnake — October 29, 2012 @ 8:31 pm - October 29, 2012

12. Well RS, I have a peephole, and I hope I never live in another place without one. If I could see through the peephole that my caller was masked, I would not open the door.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 29, 2012 @ 8:51 pm - October 29, 2012

13. If I could see through the peephole that my caller was masked, I would not open the door.

I doubt anyone would unless they were expecting someone in a mask, but I assume many people don’t have or use their peepholes. Ultimately, I think this is an irrelevant piece of information just because of the uncertainty involved (it doesn’t seem to add up, but there are plausible scenarios in which it could).

Comment by Rattlesnake — October 29, 2012 @ 9:57 pm - October 29, 2012