Quick note on Kyle Wood recantation

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 8:19 pm - October 29, 2012.
Filed under: Post 9-11 America

I have decided not to pull the posts we did on this matter.  We make mistakes from time to time.   We won’t try to hide from that.  And we correct them as soon as we become aware of information contradicting what we have reported.

As bloggers, we often cover stories we find on blogs and other web-sites.  This one seemed legitimate, particularly given the picture and the report of his hospitalization.  Unlike news sites, we don’t have the resources to double check stories.

As I wrote in updating one of my previous posts,

I am almost skeptical of these stories, but was less so this time, given the picture of Kyle Wood.  He is not the first person to have staged such a crime and is perhaps the first gay Republican to have perpetrated such a hoax.  Perhaps, he sought to draw attention to the prejudice we gay Republicans face because of or heterodox (at least in the gay community) opinions.

But, he only succeeded in casting doubt on that prejudice.

We will continue to document that prejudice and breathe a sign of relief that the intolerance of the gay left remains mostly verbal.  And we are tough to withstand such hate speech.

1. Some things didn’t add up
    1. Clear picture of Kyle on stretcher yet he had no photos documenting the vandalism
    Who took the pic?
    2. With recent vandalism, would one be so willing to open a door to a stranger?
    3. The Lee campaign folk seemed very reluctant to chat it up.
    4. Early reports put Wood into a category of needing further hospitilization, yet he was only treated at a hospital.
    Comment by rusty — October 29, 2012 @ 7:43 pm – October 29, 2012

Comment by rusty — October 29, 2012 @ 8:24 pm - October 29, 2012

2. Another “hate crime” hoax… I can’t say that I’m all that surprised.

Comment by SoCalRobert — October 29, 2012 @ 8:34 pm - October 29, 2012

3. SCR, I am surprised that (or if) it came from a gay conservative. He should know better. And IIRC, the other hoaxes (at least the ones that got blog coverage) so far have been from lefties.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 29, 2012 @ 8:58 pm - October 29, 2012

4. If I were HRC, I would be pissed at myself for ignoring the story, knowing what I could do with it now.

Comment by Eddie — October 29, 2012 @ 11:45 pm - October 29, 2012

5. No matter their background, these folks need support and a kind friend;

It has been my experience that those who report fake crimes are in a desperate psychological state, not unlike the suicidal.

Comment by Geena — October 30, 2012 @ 1:30 am - October 30, 2012

6. I have GOT to start listening to my instincts more, because my first “vibe” was that it was a hoax. I don’t know why — the story was a little too “perfect” somehow. But I didn’t want to seem mean, so I didn’t comment on it.

Comment by Brian — October 30, 2012 @ 1:46 am - October 30, 2012

7. Before anybody pops off with a neener-neener-neener!, I’ll remind you of one Maurice Schwenkler.

Comment by TGC — October 30, 2012 @ 1:52 am - October 30, 2012

8. Geena, yes, I agree he likely has psychological issues and he does need some friendship and understanding.

But, he also may well have broken Wisconsin law if he filed a false police report.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — October 30, 2012 @ 1:59 am - October 30, 2012

9. I have GOT to start listening to my instincts more, because my first “vibe” was that it was a hoax.

Me too. I had a flashback to that chick that carved a W (is that what it was?) into her forehead. When was that, ’04?

I’m not usually conspiratorial minded, but the thought occurred that it was strongly “suggested”, by someone, that he recant. That wouldn’t surprise me a’tall.

Comment by TGC — October 30, 2012 @ 2:03 am - October 30, 2012

10. I totally agree that there are likely psychological issues involved, but doggone it I really do not understand the fake crime-especially where you injure yourself to make it look real.

I can understand motivations where money is a factor (make the charge in hopes of extorting money from the accused) but I don’t understand the attention seeking ones.

Comment by Just Me — October 30, 2012 @ 6:56 am - October 30, 2012

11. Are we certain Kyle Wood is a conservative…or gay for that matter? This does indeed look like a hoax but I’m not certain of the variety.

Comment by Ignatius — October 30, 2012 @ 10:06 am - October 30, 2012

12. Are we certain Kyle Wood is a conservative…or gay for that matter?

Fair question. If one is forced to question ‘almost everything’, one may as well question everything.

Just saw this on Instapundit: That Alabama girl with the illiterate anti-Obama sign on Facebook is actually an Obama supporter from Massachusetts.

But her case is a little different. It doesn’t sound like she intended to be a false-flagger; more like she was involved in a joke that went awry. The massive hateful reaction that she got from her fellow Obama supporters has gotten her to think:

“The party I’m a part of because I’m tolerant and I think that homosexuals should be able to get married – the group of people that I associate with – can be just as cruel as the people I disagree with,” she said. And she’s learned not to trust what she sees on the web…

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 30, 2012 @ 11:06 am - October 30, 2012

13. Just found this update: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/176338211.html

That’s enough to make it official, for me at least: Kyle Wood lied. Which makes him a major a-hole.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 30, 2012 @ 11:35 am - October 30, 2012

14. Wow, the trolls (think Levi, Kevin etc.) haven’t even show up to gloat here. They must be reaaaaaaally depressed about the election.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 31, 2012 @ 11:32 am - October 31, 2012

15. How the Kyle Wood hoax went viral: Self-proclaimed conservative watchdogs spurn reporting basics

Comment by rusty — October 31, 2012 @ 5:28 pm - October 31, 2012