Gay Left-Wing Radio Host Advises Gay Romney Supporter to Commit Suicide, Says He Should Not Be Allowed to Vote

Our reader Tim in MT shared this video with us that he had made after catching Michelangelo Signorile on SiriusXM radio yesterday.

The left-wing radio talker, twice in the segment (at about 2:15 & 3:45) advises his gay Romney-supporting caller to drink arsenic or other poison so he can commit suicide. At 2:57, he tells the young man that he should not be allowed to vote.

Such tolerance.

FROM THE COMMENTS: Just Me asks, “Any guesses what the outrage would be if this was Rush telling a gay liberal that he should commit suicide or be prohibited from voting?”

AND ANOTHER:   Leah quips, “You vote for people who give you things? Yes that explains the selfish left.”

AND ANOTHER:  V the K reminds us that

We are always lectured at by activists that gay teen suicide is the most horrible social problem in the world and that gay teenagers are so delicate that the slightest hint of disapproval from a conservative will lead to thousands of them spontaneously offing themselves.

Given that, how is it Mike Signorile and TimPundit can even joke about telling a young gay person to kill himself? Doesn’t that put their “joke” roughly on par with jokes about the Holocaust?

1. VeeToThak sounds an awful lot like Li’l Kiwi, doesn’t he?

Comment by V the K — November 2, 2012 @ 4:10 pm - November 2, 2012

2. why are gay republicans suddenly so silent about the entirely-bogus “gay liberal attack!” on Kyle Wood, Wisconsin GOP suckup?

Comment by Pineapple — November 2, 2012 @ 3:36 pm – November 2, 2012

You mean like here, here, and here?

Now, let’s see YOU cough up where you condemned the fake hate crimes that you and your fellow liberal bigots have been pushing.

Or you can just run away and demonstrate once again how liberals like yourself are nothing more than inferior amoral bigots who demand of others standards that they cannot follow.

Do you think your homosexuality is what makes you so ignorant and unable to do research before opening your mouth? Is that the excuse you’ve used to explain why you can’t do a simple Google search, or even a search of this blog?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 2, 2012 @ 4:11 pm - November 2, 2012

3. @Rattlesnake — the post you cite at Towleroad was not posted by me. “Shelly” is a common name. As to my not arguing with Derek and nice strategy, I saw a single post I felt worth seconding and hadn’t anticipated being expected to address everybody else in the entire thread with a “yay” or “nay”. Really didn’t anticipate having my post in *agreement* with most of the posters here and in *support* of gay conservatives in general pulled apart for failing to live up to some preconceived standard you have.

Re: Little Kiwi — he can be as big an ass as Ratbastard and his various sock-puppets. They all from time to time make good points, but they’re so abusive to anybody that disagrees with them and so utterly predictable in their biases and unwillingness to even consider positions different than their own that they’re not worth arguing with. Only so many times you can bang your head against a brick wall before you start looking just as crazy as they do. But this is my first and only time at this site, so I have no idea of his history here nor of anybody else’s.

As for not standing up to Savage and Signorile, I am not a frequent contributor to any of these conversations and as I said, this was the one and only site I went to after reading about this from Andrew Sullivan, and only because it happened to appear near the top of the Google results and the URL sounded interesting. I’m not a frequent commenter anywhere on the internet and typically only follow a few sites, but I have criticized both Savage and Signorile in the past over other issues. I think they’re both self-serving asses.

You bemoan that Republicans are supposedly seen as a monolithic “evil” group by liberals, and yet your entire argument paints with a brush just as broad against liberals, and it seems to me most of your criticisms of liberals are common to die-hard partisans on both sides. Most of what passes for “politics” nowadays is nothing but tribalism, pure and simple, hence the viciousness.

You many not “hate liberals,” but you’re

Comment by shelly — November 2, 2012 @ 4:12 pm - November 2, 2012

4. Yup, V the K, he does.

And that’s because he is Little Kiwi, who is attempting to lie and trash GayPatriot over on Towleroad.

Oddly enough, “Shelly” has not seen fit to call him out for it. Perhaps she is too frightened.

It’s always amusing to watch people like “Shelly” and “Dan” be exposed as malicious liars and hypocrites who whine about “civility” while refusing to hold Obama liberals like their friend Little Kiwi responsible for his statements.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 2, 2012 @ 4:17 pm - November 2, 2012

5. @shelly

ND30 prefers the same shotgun that we often get sprayed with from the left. His citing of Little Fruit is an example of the quality of troll I see on this site. I myself prefer the sniper rifle to the shotgun, though I do see a purpose to a tactical nuke too 🙂

Glad you and your partner are able to get along. Unforunately, it has been my real life experience that the libs I talk to are more opposed to me being conservative than the cons I talk to are about my family, or personal preferences.

Comment by The_Livewire — November 2, 2012 @ 4:23 pm - November 2, 2012

6. I haven’t been to Towleroad today. I really don’t spend that much time in comments sections precisely because of people like you and them.

@The_Livewire — I’m sorry to hear that. I think at this point in time both parties are leveraging tribalism and anxiety so a depressingly high percentage of people on both sides see the world and each other in black/white, good/evil, ally/enemy terms. I think living on the rural south and having lots of friends “on the other side of the fence” — Republicans, conservative Christians, etc. — and frequently finding myself defending friends on both sides against one another gives a certain perspective.

Comment by Shelly — November 2, 2012 @ 4:48 pm - November 2, 2012

7. […] our friends at Gay Patriot, we get yet another example of the “more tolerant” set, who cannot stand to see someone […]

Pingback by Gay SiriusXM Talker Tells Conservative Gay Caller to Commit Suicide | Right Wing News — November 2, 2012 @ 5:10 pm - November 2, 2012

8. NDT, I think Shelly seems like a nice person (excusing that she directed a comment that was obviously meant for you towards me, but that was obviously just a mistake); a rare self-described liberal who also seems to be decent (particularly towards gay conservatives). I have no idea if what she is saying is true (and there is obviously no way to verify it, like most other things people say on the internet, and I see no reason not to give her the benefit of the doubt at this point. Obviously “Derek” and some other people are just posturing, but it doesn’t seem like Shelly is). Anyway, as much as the trolls deserve what you say to them, I don’t think people like Shelly do and it makes it very difficult to have civil discussions with people who have different points of view (something that would be nice to do once in a while) when you treat them like trolls. Shelly isn’t the one making sweeping generalizations about conservatives.

Of course, it would be nice if Shelly explicitly condemns what Little Kiwi (and the other vile commenters herein) said, and she has a good opportunity here, even though it is implicit in her comments that she doesn’t approve of them.

As for “VeeToThak,” that certainly sounds like Little Kiwi, only less deranged. I’m not sure why some leftists (apparently the “sheeple” variety who repeat the narrative and not the elites who control it) are so delusional and/or stupid that they actually believe what they are saying (assuming they do). It is simply beyond comprehension.

Comment by Rattlesnake — November 2, 2012 @ 5:26 pm - November 2, 2012

9. The “meanest” thing I’ve heard a conservative say this election cycle is “I hope Rachel Maddow cries herself to sleep November 6.”

Pretty weak tea compared to, “People who intend to vote for Romney should commit suicide,” or Dan Savage wanting all Republicans to die.

Comment by V the K — November 2, 2012 @ 5:28 pm - November 2, 2012

10. NDT, I think Shelly seems like a nice person (excusing that she directed a comment that was obviously meant for you towards me, but that was obviously just a mistake); a rare self-described liberal who also seems to be decent (particularly towards gay conservatives). I have no idea if what she is saying is true (and there is obviously no way to verify it, like most other things people say on the internet, and I see no reason not to give her the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Fair enough, Rattlesnake.

Shelly, I apologize for popping off and offending you. Thank you for coming here in a spirit of true civility and conversation.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — November 2, 2012 @ 5:32 pm - November 2, 2012

11. http://www.signorile.com/2012/11/i-botched-up-and-i-apologize.html

Comment by yoga — November 2, 2012 @ 9:09 pm - November 2, 2012

12. Thank you, Rattlesnake and NDT. Yes, I entirely disagree with Little Kiwi, just as I do with Signorile. I think basic human decency, compassion, empathy and reason need to come *way* before politics. I think we are all the sum total of all the places and situations we have been through in life and we see the world through our own limitations, but unfortunately we tend to believe our perspective is complete and objective and assume that everyone understands and perceives things the same way we do. And the more anxious and suspicious we are, the more likely we are to view those who disagree on points that matter to us as threats and assume their aims must be perverse or mean-spirited, or that they’re insane, brainwashed, stupid, etc., else they’d agree with us. Get a bunch of people on either side if a dispute clashing with one another and suspicion turns to aggression and negative cycles start forming that further reinforce the belief that the “others” are just a bunch of nasty, hateful barbarians.

At least, that’s my theory at the moment. So I just try and stay as calm and detached as I can, but I don’t think any good can come from any of this vicious sectarianism. Respectful disagreement and debate are healthy and necessary. Hateful hyperbole and bigotry only escalate conflict and make problems more intractable.

Comment by Shelly — November 2, 2012 @ 9:37 pm - November 2, 2012

13. ILoveCapitalism, Rattlesnake and North Dallas: I listened to the original excerpt again. There is a pair of statements utilizing the suicide illustration. He first says “You voted for him [Romney] and it would have been much easier to go to the store…” I don’t know how anyone can fail to interpret this statement as analogy. The second is stronger: “Go to the drugstore. There are plenty of things you can get…’Cuz that would be the better way than the convoluted, twisted way you’re doing it…You’re stabbing yourself in the back…[drawing the analogy back to a Romney vote by this gay caller]. Indeed, the second statement is very strong and emotional, but it doesn’t step outside of the analogy. Here, as in my original post, I was simply pointing out what Signorile actually said, whether that be good, bad or indifferent. I wasn’t defending or chastising anything.

Signorile’s apology accurately describes what he was doing:

“After the caller said he voted for Romney, I said he should just get some arsenic, make a potion, and take it, which would be more painless. Not because I thought he should kill himself—I do not think gay Romney supporters should kill themselves—but because voting for someone who is committed to undermining your rights is a self-destructive behavior.”

I wasn’t defending Signorile on any of his comments. What I was pointing out was that GayPatriot and Andrew Sullivan who linked to his post, simply stated that Signorile told a caller to go off himself.

Regarding the “not allowed to vote” comment, Signorile is obviously frustrated with this caller who, in Signorile’s view, is expressly acting against his self-interest. Was Signorile a nice man at this point? Well, no. Unpacking his statement, one would probably conclude that the underlying belief is that people can make poor decisions with their freedoms. Again, I was merely unpacking what Signorile’s statements were and the ideas that may be behind them.

My attempt found itself in a weird little category called “Anything bad said about a liberal is a lie.” I don’t know how my post found itself in this corner of the universe when I wasn’t making any qualitative statements about Signorile’s comments–be they bad, good or indifferent.

Query: How does Signorile’s apology make me intellectually dishonest? I stated what Signorile was saying. Signorile agrees. It’s obviously an analogy. Your dislike of Signorile’s comments doesn’t make me intellectually dishonest for merely recording them.

But Rattlesnake, you have me stumped. By nuance, I meant the intellectual rigour required to realize that he was making an analogy, not some dastardly code word to let someone off the hook. It may have been passionate and you may disagree with the underlying premise. You think that this premise is “disgusting” since you put aside the analogy entirely (“whether or not he told him to go kill himself…) And, well, that’s your opinion of what he said.

What’s simultaneously fascinating and annoying is that my post landed me into membership of a tribe called “the lefties.” It’s HOW I got here. It would be equally stupid if what I said landed me in the Conservative camp (the “righties”??) I wasn’t aware I was participating in a fraternity rush! What was it that made me pass? Was it because I didn’t slit Signorile’s throat and therefore I can’t possibly be a Capulet? Is this what passes as research in your view, Rattlesnake?

Sorry folks, when it comes to American politics, I f___ing hate football. Liberal and Conservative? Useless terms in pseudo-intellectual American reality but really useful ones to find out what body paint the stranger in front of you is wearing so you don’t accidentally harpoon him.

NOTA BENE: I did not factually assert that I am a contemporary of either the Montague or Capulet families nor did I state to which I belonged. Nor did I imply that I have found a way to simultaneously keep my corporeal existence sustained for several centuries while I found a portal out of the pages of a play by William Shakespeare.

Comment by JDM — November 3, 2012 @ 11:43 pm - November 3, 2012

14. […] our friends at Gay Patriot, we get yet another example of the “more tolerant” set, who cannot stand to see someone […]

Pingback by Gay SiriusXM Talker Tells Conservative Gay Caller to Commit Suicide : Stop The ACLU — November 4, 2012 @ 3:09 pm - November 4, 2012

15. […] This week’s hot topics include : some zombie costumes are way too convincing, UK kids are mistakenly given cocaine rather than candy on Halloween, a Highland Park High Schooler’s rape arrest sparks interesting discussions, and Mike Signorile says something stupid. […]

Pingback by Episode 132 : And Such As… | Secretly Timid — November 6, 2012 @ 1:02 am - November 6, 2012