Building Mittmentum in Denver

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 6:15 pm - November 3, 2012.
Filed under: 2012 Presidential Election,Mitt Romney

Make sure to check below the jump as I’ll be updating with pictures as Clayton sends them.

Two hours before the Mitt Romney rally is supposed to begin in Denver, our reader Clayton who is sitting on the stage e-mails us this picture of the crowd:

Looks like the crowd is already bigger than each of Obama’s recent Ohio rallies. Many polls try to measure enthusiasm by asking respondents about the excitement.

The real gauge, however, is not in questions answered, but deeds performed. If people are willing to give up an afternoon — or a day — to attend a political rally then that shows real commitment and suggests they represent a groundswell for their candidate.

We certainly saw that for Obama in 2008; we seem to be seeing that for Mitt Romney this week.

As John Hinderaker wrote about yesterday’s West Chester rally, “The fact that tens of thousands are willing to commit to that kind of time and inconvenience demonstrates how dedicated Republican voters are this year.

UPDATE:  It’s not just Gigi Georges. More Democrats are backing Mitt:

UP-UPDATE:  Maybe the youth this year are voting Republican:

UP-UP-UPDATE: Seems like there are more women than men at this rally:

UP-UP-UP-UPDATE: This crowd is now at least as big as all four Obama Ohio rallies combined–perhaps bigger:

UP-UP-UP-UP-UPDATE: This crowd is huge:

UP-UP-UP-UP-UPDATE: And here’s a picture of our correspondent just behind Romney:

1. I am in Denver, but wanted to go (I’m sick.) There’s lots of enthusiasm for Romney here.

Comment by JoAnn Moran — November 3, 2012 @ 6:20 pm - November 3, 2012

2. Go Clayton! Yes, those crowds mean enthusiasm.

Comment by Leah — November 3, 2012 @ 7:27 pm - November 3, 2012

3. I went to hear Rudy, Norm Coleman, Scott Walker, Tommy Thompson, and others speak in Hudson, Wisconsin, and the crowd was several hundred, which I think is pretty good given the lack of Ryan or Romney. (Tomorrow I get to hear Ryan at the MSP airport.) One of the things that struck me about the crowd seemed easily more than half female. There were also quite a lot of young people there, and some people of color, and western Wisconsin is quite white. Rep. Sean Duffy’s wife, Rachel Campos Duffy, gave an awesome, intense speech. She slammed the Democrats’ stupid insinuation of the GOP War on Women and noted that on election day, women would use their most important “lady part,” their brains.

Comment by chad — November 3, 2012 @ 10:54 pm - November 3, 2012

4. wow! Thanks for posting this.

Comment by Tom — November 3, 2012 @ 10:55 pm - November 3, 2012

5. I was there. Just got home. Throat sore. I don’t remember screaming. #1 son says I did.

Comment by Sarah — November 4, 2012 @ 12:40 am - November 4, 2012

6. Sarah, any ideas on crowd size?

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 4, 2012 @ 12:42 am - November 4, 2012

7. Love the pix. I live in Southern California, and as you can imagine, I never even get to see a presidential t.v. ad much less a live candidate.

Comment by arhooley — November 4, 2012 @ 1:01 am - November 4, 2012

8. And (unlike many Obama rallies) these people are not being PAID to be there!

Comment by Linda Strickland — November 4, 2012 @ 6:36 am - November 4, 2012

9. Dan,
    @6, The Denver Post had the crowd size at 17K but the venue holds 18K and was packed so I am going with 18K.

I was there yesterday and the enthusiasm was awsome, but then it would be.

Comment by DenverReader — November 4, 2012 @ 12:21 pm - November 4, 2012

10. DenverReader, this picture seems to back up your estimate.

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — November 4, 2012 @ 12:30 pm - November 4, 2012