Not that anybody asked…

I’m no prognosticator by any means, and I have no history in being correct about electoral politics.

That said, a couple months ago I turned to my partner as we were watching the Republican National Convention and said that I felt it was possible that Mitt Romney could win a decisive victory tomorrow.

I projected the possibility of a sweeping (although not necessarily a landslide) election based on the striking difference in visions for America offered by the two candidates:

I could clearly see that President Obama was offering (much as anybody who was honestly paying attention in 2008 could see then too) a vision of America where we all were successful and/or productive and enjoyed our liberties by the grace of a benevolent central government. Individual liberties and incentive were downplayed to make way for the far more anodyne (-sounding) ideas of “fairness” and “equality” (of outcomes, of course)…all administered from that same national spigot.

Governor Romney, on the other hand, was clearly signaling the rebirth of what I’ve called A New Independence Movement.

This striking difference between the two visions (aside from any sort of personal attacks, or the slips and slides that have happened since) to me made it clear that this could be an election that says a lot about our Country and its character…if the candidates were honest about their goals and clear in their visions (and, of course, if the press didn’t continue its role of whitewashing the president’s actual vision).

I’ll have more to write about this, including a personal note about how this race and concomitant personal events have changed my perspective in a big way in another post coming soon. But for now, I’ll just say that it still seems the case that Mitt Romney could very well see a big win tomorrow. It’s not exactly a prediction, but I stand by what I said back then. I’ll leave it to Bruce and much smarter others to count the electoral votes and make the specific predictions, but I do believe Mitt Romney will win tomorrow and it will be decisive and good for our Nation.

-Nick (ColoradoPatriot, from HHQ)

1. I think Romney has had the much better campaign and I too think he can win, I am just not as confident as Bruce that it is going to happen.

I think it is going to be a nailbiter.

Comment by Just Me — November 5, 2012 @ 6:08 pm - November 5, 2012

2. Hoping you’re right.. Not just Romney/Ryan, but keeping a majority in the House and gaining the majority in the Senate.

Comment by Kate — November 5, 2012 @ 6:38 pm - November 5, 2012

3. This statement wasn’t made on the basis of any polling (the governor was in no way close at the time) nor by any sort of momentum, having been over a month before the decisive debates.

I have also been very optimistic throughout the campaign that Romney would win decisively, simply because I can’t imagine Obama being re-elected with all of his scandals and incompetence (not that the media would report that, but this stuff must be getting out). If not for the media’s lack of reporting on Obama, I would guess that he might only win Hawaii and Vermont, if that. This shouldn’t be close at all, and I’m not sure that it will be, in spite of the media essentially working for Obama’s campaign.

However, I must say that I’ve become much more nervous in the past couple of days than I was before, although it might just be because the election is tomorrow and not a long ways away.

Comment by Rattlesnake — November 5, 2012 @ 6:43 pm - November 5, 2012

4. Rattlesnake you aren’t the only one who is nervous.

I have a hard time being optimistic though-there is a part of me that believes Romney can win this and that he would be better for the country, but that other part knows Obama can win it and there are tons of people who buy the “It’s all Bush’s fault” and are going to give this incompetent narcissist another 4 years to finish pushing this country off the cliff.

Comment by Just Me — November 5, 2012 @ 6:50 pm - November 5, 2012

5. Gosh, I sure hope you are right! With all the allegations of fraud (ballot screens changing from Romney to Obama, members of the armed services being purged from voter rolls in FL, illegal aliens being registered to vote and voting in NV), the changes in voting in NY and NJ due to the hurricane, all the early voting, the striking down of voter I.D. laws, the past history of Democrat malfeasance as they cheated and stole elections, the idiocy of Americans who want Big Gubamint taking care of them, etc., etc., I am so nervous about tomorrow! This election should not even be close, but I’m so scared that we have reached that point where there are enough people getting “free stuff” or want “free stuff” that they are willing to change our country from a Democratic Republic into a socialist Banana Republic. Scary!

Comment by runningrn — November 5, 2012 @ 6:56 pm - November 5, 2012

6. I can only control my own actions. If Obama wins, I will sadly but graciously accept the result. If Romney wins, I will go to the nearest freeway overpass and pull down my pants.

Comment by Ignatius — November 5, 2012 @ 7:04 pm - November 5, 2012

7. I think Romney will win…and bigger than by what most are predicting. In 2008, my Long Island neighborhood was covered in Obama/Biden banners and signs. This election: no one has an Obama sign up. And I live in a center-left leaning neighborhood. There are, however, several neighbors who have Romney/Ryan signs up. 4 years ago, that would not have happened. Also, I don’t believe the rout in 2010 was an aberration. I also expect the Republicans to retake the Senate as well as have more gains in the House. They just seem much more enthusiastic and optimistic AND have a greater sense of urgency this time around.
    My two cents.