Ergh, Pop-ups & other unsolicited advertisements

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 1:54 pm - November 29, 2012.
Filed under: New Media

in our society, we are inundated with unwanted solicitations.  Yesterday, for example, except for a magazine, every piece of snail mail I received was a solicitation for a charity, only one of which (to the best of my recollection) I have ever supported.

Every morning, it seems there are at least 20 unsolicited offers/advertisements in my e-mail, then it’s the Pop-ups.  I really should use Firefox more often as that web browser is better at blocking them, but our GayPatriot dashboard is easier to use on Safari.

Lately, those pop-up advertisements have been proliferating, sometimes slowing the browser, other times just cluttering the desk top.  And now, they’re piling pop-ups on top of pop-ups.  Take a gander at the pop-up I received when trying to close the window for a pop-up advertisement:

This ad will make not make it any more likely that I’ll respond to their offer.

Now that I have vented, I feel much better. :-)

1. They smell the disaster

Thanks to the retard crowd come 2013 the $$$ for charity and shopping would be a dream

Comment by susan — November 29, 2012 @ 2:45 pm - November 29, 2012

2. Umm, I prefer my coffee black. No sugar. No cream. No green…extract.

Eric Hines

Comment by E Hines — November 29, 2012 @ 3:00 pm - November 29, 2012

3. If your getting popups on your desktop you best switch to a better anti-virus.

Popups in your browser can be virtually eliminated with a HOSTS file.

Comment by Sandi — November 29, 2012 @ 4:26 pm - November 29, 2012

4. I don’t get many pop ups, but I absolutely hate the new trend in ads where a video or audio plays and there isn’t a button to make them stop (other than turning the sound down).

I don’t mind a video ad say at youtube where they sometimes play ads before videos, but when I go to a blog similar website I don’t want to listen to an ad that I can’t always find and has no shut off button.

Comment by Just Me — November 29, 2012 @ 4:41 pm - November 29, 2012

5. As people become more resistant to advertising, advertisements get more intrusive.

The latest trend on the radio is for the announcer to have an extremely weird and annoying voice. There’s some outfit here in KC (finance, I think… I hit mute as soon as the ad comes on) where the announcer sounds like a parody of Truman Capote with a bad head cold.

Comment by SoCalRobert — November 29, 2012 @ 5:31 pm - November 29, 2012

6. Love them…. but National Review, HotAir & RedState are the WORST lately when it comes to pop-up ads. Mostly self-promotional stuff too.

GROWL.

Comment by Bruce Carroll - @GayPatriot — November 29, 2012 @ 5:32 pm - November 29, 2012

7. Will business, at some point, figure out that they’ve hit the point of diminishing returns?

Fox News may be approaching that. It’s not unheard of for them to run a reduced commercial news program when they’re covering something greatly important. This may be the extent of it for awhile, but the precedent is getting set.

Eric Hines

Comment by E Hines — November 29, 2012 @ 5:45 pm - November 29, 2012

8. “Don’t forget — it will only be available for a LIMITED TIME.” If only.

Comment by Ignatius — November 29, 2012 @ 6:19 pm - November 29, 2012

9. Ah, javascript; a neutral technology that has been used for both good AND evil.

Comment by Lycheesundae — November 29, 2012 @ 8:17 pm - November 29, 2012

10. I just received my umteenth recorded “second and final notice” of an opportunity to lower my credit card rate (I always pay my credit card IN FULL). When I tried to complain to the live representative, she hung up on me. Better things to do than listen to a complaint, I’m sure.

Comment by Polly — November 29, 2012 @ 8:27 pm - November 29, 2012

11. I won’t even go to NRO any more because of the popunders… not even for Jonah.

Comment by V the K — November 29, 2012 @ 8:40 pm - November 29, 2012