Tim Scott – US Senator from South Carolina

I didn’t want the post below to be the lead item on what is a very historic day for my state.  So I want to add some brief personal thoughts about Tim Scott.

He is an awesome pick.  Unlike most of the politicans who embraced Tea Party, limited government principles AFTER the movement forced them to, Tim Scott already possessed those principles.  He is a smart, funny, engaging guy who has a way of making everyone around him feel included.

I daresay that he will rival some of the more notable Senators as one who will go into the history books based on his record and accomplishments.

I had the unfortunate pleasure to follow US Rep. Tim Scott at the October 18 Charleston Tea Party rally.  He had the crowd on its feet, singing and full of energy; he was a hard act to follow.

It is worth noting that Tim Scott is the only black Senator from the Confederate South since Reconstruction.  And the only black Senator from the South since the 1964 Civil Rights Act passed.  Only Illinois and Massachusetts have had African-American Senators in modern America.

Until today.

-Bruce (@GayPatriot)

1. I look forward to getting more aquatinted with Senator Scott. He seems to be a great lead horse for our team.

Comment by heliotrope — December 17, 2012 @ 5:43 pm - December 17, 2012

2. Interesting Choice.
    I am not a fan of his social views but he has a lots to bring to the table regarding his fiscal message.
    Bruce do you think he could win a strong primary challenge from a white candidate?

Comment by mike — December 17, 2012 @ 9:15 pm - December 17, 2012

3. My gaydar jumps off the screen when i see and hear him. He certainly blessed with that southern wit!

Comment by scott — December 17, 2012 @ 10:50 pm - December 17, 2012

4. He is truly the best pick. Great man. Proud to know him.

Comment by PatriotMom — December 18, 2012 @ 7:31 am - December 18, 2012

5. Mike…he retained his Congressional seat last month with 65% of the vote against a white man. What do you think? And isn’t your comment a tad racist?

Comment by Mary — December 18, 2012 @ 7:34 am - December 18, 2012

6. He was my one candidate I financially supported that actually won his election, my one bright spot. I am so excited he is going to the Senate!

Comment by runningrn — December 18, 2012 @ 8:36 am - December 18, 2012

7. Interesting that except for Obama, the five African Americans (including Rep. Tim Scott) who served in the senate, four of them Republicans (two from the Reconstuction Era). Hiram Rhodes Revels and Blanche K. Bruce were from Mississippi. In modern times, Edward Brooke, was the Senator from Massachusetts. And the left calls us the party of old white men.

Comment by Roberto — December 18, 2012 @ 9:49 am - December 18, 2012

8. New York Times: Tim Scott is a “token.”

Comment by V the K — December 19, 2012 @ 9:32 am - December 19, 2012