With Connecticut horror fresh in our minds, ’tis not the season to politicize

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 3:06 am - December 17, 2012.
Filed under: Family,Holidays

Like many of those who are more supportive than critical of the National Rifle Association, I have struggled mightily this weekend not to respond to friend’s Facebook posts holding the organization responsible for Friday’s shooting in Connecticut.

Horrified, as we all are, by what happened, they want to pin the blame on someone and choose an outfit of which they have long been critical.  Perhaps, it makes them feel better.  Or perhaps, it helps them make sense of actions which transcend the understanding of rational, civilized people.

As the ancient Greeks so well understood, we will never fully understand the irrational.

What makes this one so particularly painful was the murder of twenty children, none older than 7.  And that they were killed in a season where most of us celebrate with our families.  Twenty-seven families will have less to celebrate this year, feeling the loss of a child, a girlfriend, a wife, a sister, an aunt or a mother.

It is those murdered individuals and the families we should be thinking about right now.  As a nation, we are united in grief.  Yes, there is political rhetoric to criticize and media behavior to condemn, but in criticizing it, we lose sight of what really matters.

Some people get it.  I have seen numerous Facebook posts from friends on both sides of the political aisle and those about whose political leanings I know nothing who have offered touching tributes to the fallen as well as gentle reminders to cherish our family and friends.

Yes, as you can tell by the links I offer in this post, there are issues I do want to address on the blog, but every time I try to do so, I just feel I am somehow acting inappropriately at least for the present moment.

Now is not even the time to consider political action lest we get carried about by our emotions.  Now is the time to mourn the fallen.  To hold their families in our hearts and keep them in our prayers.  And to cherish our friends and our families.

FROM THE COMMENTS:  Our frequent critic Vince Smetana gets it, sharing this: http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2012/12/15/sandy-hook-newtown-victims-complete-list-memoriam

1. it’s just odd he’d

You know wayyyyyyy less about me than you think. (I, otoh, learned *enough* about you – Not everything, but as much as I would need – in the Breitbart thread + aftermath.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 18, 2012 @ 5:02 pm - December 18, 2012

2. Well, ILC, I thought you were the type of person who dots his i’s and crosses his t’s. But, since I “know wayyyyyy less about [you] than [I] think,” I guess you didn’t read the entire article you linked to and made a mistake.

P.S. Since you brought up the Breitbart thread + aftermath, I thought I would mention it crossed my mind when reading ND30’s response to Rusty’s thoughtful words on the most recent Newtown, CT post. In fact, he actually references the WBC by pointing out an error(s) (tying a single act to a single failure) of theirs. He only does this after extolling the virtue of prayer, the general exercise of theirs he tacitly endorses and would fully support if only they weren’t so specific in their scope (“single act to a single failure”).

This all comes after ND30 mocks Rusty’s heartfelt and thoughtful words regarding the incident and the debate involving solutions which ensued.

ND30’s words in his comment struck me as those that might come out of the mouth of a Westboro Baptist. But, maybe it was just me. You claim that you know enough about me, so I’m sure you’d feel the same way. Well, I mean not that I know anything about you. But, I imagine you’d catch my drift. Or would you? Or do I? So confusing. LOL. Please clear things up!

Comment by Vince Smetana — December 18, 2012 @ 5:30 pm - December 18, 2012

3. I guess you didn’t read the entire article you linked to and made a mistake.

You guess wrong! Flat-out wrong.

As I said, you know wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less about me than you think.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 18, 2012 @ 5:38 pm - December 18, 2012

4. ND30′s words in his comment struck me as those that might come out of the mouth of a Westboro Baptist

Operative word is “you”: just meaning that it’s your job (not mine) to scurry on over to the other thread, and try to make that point.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 18, 2012 @ 5:45 pm - December 18, 2012

5. ILC, You were actually using the entry ironically (if I’m using the term correctly). The actual definition is here, but you were using a leftist version of it against a leftist. I get it now.

Comment by Vince Smetana — December 18, 2012 @ 5:52 pm - December 18, 2012

6. Or: perhaps I just didn’t care if it made unnecessary leftist interpolations.

Now you can go back to not engaging me or whatever that was.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 18, 2012 @ 6:00 pm - December 18, 2012

7. ILC, you argued recently that I was indirectly responding to one of your comments even when I was not. (While, to my knowledge, I was choosing to not engage you, directly or indirectly, sometimes I would start reading your comments by accident, as the GP comments viewer doesn’t show who wrote what comment until the very end of the comment and some comments are very long and fill up the entire window without the reader knowing whose words they’re reading unless they scroll to the bottom of the comment before scrolling back up. And, yes, I’m lazy in this regard.)

So since, according to your argument, I’m not engaging you even when I am, there is no point in me ever assuming I’m not engaging you. You know me *enough*, right?

So, despite the things you’ve said about my personal character (false and otherwise), I figure you of all your previous nastiness (unwarranted and otherwise) from earlier this year.

Please go ahead now and profess how you don’t care what I do. Or how it does nothing. Or how you think you know *enough* about me to know this is meaningless, I’m insincere, I have nothing to forgive of you, etc. Am I leaving anything out?

No matter. It’s public record. I forgive you. I’m ready to open a new chapter. And it’s okay if your opinion of me never changes or worsens.

Comment by Vince Smetana — December 18, 2012 @ 6:22 pm - December 18, 2012

8. Sorry champ, you’re babbling. Can’t make head nor tail of the first 5 paragraphs, and not buying your last, given your track record.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 18, 2012 @ 7:17 pm - December 18, 2012

9. I understand

Comment by Vince Smetana — December 18, 2012 @ 8:01 pm - December 18, 2012

10. Doubtful.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 18, 2012 @ 8:02 pm - December 18, 2012

11. As I stated above, Cinesnatch, you are a con.

Because your concern is not dialogue; it is browbeating and attacking other people.

What unravels your game is our knowledge that you yourself are a stinking hypocrite who will never hold himself to any of the standards that he demands others hold themselves.

Hence, you are exposed as little more than a manipulator and a wannabe abuser whose game is to exploit the decency, fairness, and honesty of others for your own personal advancement.

A con’s game only works for as long as people don’t recognize him as a con. And you have been recognized as a con. With that knowledge, your demands now are visible transparently obvious attempts to manipulate others into performing piety dances, rather than any real or objective concern for rationality and decency, and thus peg you nicely as a typical “progressive” whose only concern is getting whatever he wants with no regard for anyone else.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — December 18, 2012 @ 10:09 pm - December 18, 2012

12. More anonymous disparagement of someone’s character from ND30.

Comment by Vince Smetana — December 18, 2012 @ 10:24 pm - December 18, 2012

13. More anonymous disparagement of someone’s character from ND30.

Comment by Vince Smetana — December 18, 2012 @ 10:24 pm – December 18, 2012

LOL.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — December 18, 2012 @ 10:33 pm - December 18, 2012

14. ND30, when you anonymously hide behind your computer and throw nasty personalized lies in MY direction when I’m using MY real identity, you’re going to hear about it from ME. Period. I’m not interested in you playing the victim card and asking why I don’t get involved in matters I wasn’t invited to. You attack me anonymously, you receive my identity-certified response. If you can’t handle it, then I suggest you dabble in an art not affiliated with cowardice.

Comment by Vince Smetana — December 18, 2012 @ 10:49 pm - December 18, 2012

15. Mm, yes, and “Levi”, “mike”, “Little Kiwi”, and “Passing By”, are common names, easily identifiable, directly linked to a specific person, identity fully disclosed.

LOL.

Piety dance twice denied.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — December 18, 2012 @ 11:01 pm - December 18, 2012

16. By ND30’s logic, if someone is attacked on the street by a hooded person, they can’t defend themselves unless they fight every hooded person in the world attacking others.

Comment by Vince Smetana — December 18, 2012 @ 11:13 pm - December 18, 2012

17. By ND30′s logic, if someone is attacked on the street by a hooded person, they can’t defend themselves unless they fight every hooded person in the world attacking others.

Comment by Vince Smetana — December 18, 2012 @ 11:13 pm – December 18, 2012

Pretty much, especially when you use the hood as your excuse for attacking them.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — December 18, 2012 @ 11:18 pm - December 18, 2012

18. Um … in this example, I’m not the one wearing or using the hood. You are. And all your aforementioned. Capice? If YOU attack me personally, I will respond accordingly. If you stick to the argument at hand, I will respond accordingly. If you weren’t anonymous, my guess would be that you would stick to the argument (you’re a pretty smart guy, and sometimes even lucid), instead of dipping into personal attacks. Or, am I mistaken?

Comment by Vince Smetana — December 18, 2012 @ 11:24 pm - December 18, 2012

19. If you stick to the argument at hand, I will respond accordingly.

Comment by Vince Smetana — December 18, 2012 @ 11:24 pm – December 18, 2012

Doubtful.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — December 18, 2012 @ 11:56 pm - December 18, 2012

20. Very funny response and callback to ILC’s earlier comment. Props to you, ND30. I’m glad to see you have a sense of humor. And, I look forward to our future interactions that will be free of anonymous personal attacks.

Comment by Vince Smetana — December 19, 2012 @ 12:07 am - December 19, 2012

21. […] Gay Patriot – With Connecticut horror fresh in our minds, ’tis not the season to politicize […]

Pingback by Watcher of Weasels » Watcher’s Council Nominations – Getting Ready For Christmas Edition — December 19, 2012 @ 4:28 am - December 19, 2012

22. […] Gay Patriot – With Connecticut horror fresh in our minds, ’tis not the season to politicize […]

Pingback by Watcher’s Council Nominations – Getting Ready For Christmas Edition » Virginia Right! — December 19, 2012 @ 5:31 am - December 19, 2012

23. Levi’s mom must have taken away his internet access again.

Comment by The_Livewire — December 19, 2012 @ 7:55 am - December 19, 2012

24. […] Gay Patriot – With Connecticut horror fresh in our minds, ?tis not the season to politicize […]

Pingback by This Week’s Watcher’s Council Nominations | therightplanet.com — December 19, 2012 @ 9:01 am - December 19, 2012

25. […] Gay Patriot – With Connecticut horror fresh in our minds, ?tis not the season to politicize […]

Pingback by Watcher’s Council Nominations – Getting Ready For Christmas Edition | therightplanet.com — December 19, 2012 @ 9:02 am - December 19, 2012

26. […] Gay Patriot – With Connecticut horror fresh in our minds, ’tis not the season to politicize […]

Pingback by Trevor Loudon's New Zeal Blog » Watcher’s Council Nominations – Getting Ready For Christmas Edition — December 19, 2012 @ 12:07 pm - December 19, 2012

27. […] Gay Patriot – With Connecticut horror fresh in our minds, ’tis not the season to politicize […]

Pingback by GayPatriot » Watcher of Weasels Nominations — 12.19.12 Edition — December 19, 2012 @ 12:15 pm - December 19, 2012

28. […] Gay Patriot – With Connecticut horror fresh in our minds, ’tis not the season to politicize […]

Pingback by Watcher Council Nominations Are Up! | Independent Sentinel — December 20, 2012 @ 12:11 am - December 20, 2012

29. […] Gay Patriot – With Connecticut horror fresh in our minds, ’tis not the season to politicize […]

Pingback by Bookworm Room » Watcher’s Council wisdom for the week — December 21, 2012 @ 1:41 am - December 21, 2012