Media Elites Have No Shame…Nor Sense of Irony

Pity poor David Gregory of NBC News. His real crime is against intellectual honesty and integrity.

I agree with The Wall Street Journal this morning in their unsigned editorial (behind firewall, sorry), calling the notional indictment of the old-school media journo “nonsensical”. (For background on the issue, see here, and here.)
But allow me to expand on their thoughts…

The real authorities who should be after Gregory, if they existed, are the irony cops. Set aside the lost irony of an inside-the-beltway elitist self-righteously mocking Wayne LaPierre’s idea of sending armed guards to America’s schools while sending his kids to a school with…um, eleven armed guards. That sort of subtlety can easily be missed even by someone whose job it is to communicate and use the English language.

But imagine if Mr. LaPierre had been a little more astute last week when confronted with the illegal 30-round magazine Mr. Gregory was flaunting on national TV. I imagine his elevator wit has him saying something like this:

You know, David, I see you blatantly brandishing that 30-round magazine here in the District of Columbia and I know—as I’m sure you do yourself—that possession of such is a criminal offense. Now, I disagree with the law, so I’m surely not going to be a hypocrite and suggest you be hauled away to jail in the way you suggest others should be for having that. I at least do have the courage of my convictions…a courage I only wish you shared.

However, your flagrant violation of the law offers all your viewers two very telling lessons: First, that when elites like yourself speak on your high horses about denying others their rights, it rarely ever affects you. After all, that magazine is illegal in DC, but possessing it would serve your purpose, so you seem to have come across one yourself, haven’t you? Secondly, just look at how useless such laws are anyway. I’m not going to try to goad you into revealing your source, David. But I imagine you didn’t just walk into the CVS and pick that up, did you? Seems someone along the line must have disregarded and broken the law, doesn’t it?

Perhaps if those who deem themselves the arbiters of the “dialog” we’re supposed to be having about gun violence in America today were in any way interested in actually having a “dialog”, we could get somewhere.

-Nick (ColoradoPatriot, from HHQ)

1. Sean A: good points, except one thing: yes, they do hate freedom. That’s why they hate people who reject leftism.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 28, 2012 @ 9:28 pm - December 28, 2012

2. BTW: why the vitriol directed at Levi? Yes, he can be irritating but it useful to see what the other side thinks.

Comment by SoCalRobert — December 28, 2012 @ 7:24 pm – December 28, 2012

Because Levi is a willing and nigh-on perfect representative of the Obama-worshiping leftist personality cult that is hell-bent on taking away our every liberty and imposing a socialistic and fascist state on us.

He is a practice dummy. He will parrot every leftist talking point with the loyalty of a devout Scientologist explaining Dianetics and attacking the psychiatric profession. By smashing his arguments to pieces, we all hone our skills for defeating the rest of the left-wing Free Sh-t Army.

Comment by V the K — December 28, 2012 @ 9:32 pm - December 28, 2012

3. Yeah but why the names? I suspect because it’s fun, as well as earned.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 28, 2012 @ 9:42 pm - December 28, 2012

4. Point taken.

Comment by SoCalRobert — December 28, 2012 @ 9:43 pm - December 28, 2012

5. Levi is the type of person who can exploit children’s deaths to push his political view – as in the bit that TL quoted (Levi telling us “You’d rather sacrifice a roomful of kindergartners every few months than your interpretation of the 2nd amendment”) – and then, in the next breath, complain bitterly and without shame, about conservatives who dare to accuse him of exploiting children’s deaths to push his political view.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 28, 2012 @ 10:10 pm - December 28, 2012

6. Point taken.

Comment by SoCalRobert — December 28, 2012 @ 9:43 pm – December 28, 2012

Well, point also taken in reverse, Robert; we don’t need to lose the attitude that liberals are misguided, not evil.

But when ones have proven otherwise, there’s no need to pull punches, either. Unfortunately, this site seems to attract more than its fair share of Levi-esque trolls — I suspect because it engenders roughly the same attitudes among modern Obama Party members as did abolitionist papers among their forbears.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — December 29, 2012 @ 1:02 am - December 29, 2012

7. As usual, Mark Steyn is not to be missed:

To Howard Kurtz & Co., it’s “obvious” that Gregory didn’t intend to commit a crime. But, in a land choked with laws, “obviousness” is one of the first casualties — and “obviously” innocent citizens have their “obviously” well-intentioned actions criminalized every minute of the day. Not far away from David Gregory, across the Virginia border, eleven-year-old Skylar Capo made the mistake of rescuing a woodpecker from the jaws of a cat and nursing him back to health for a couple of days. For her pains, a federal Fish & Wildlife gauleiter accompanied by state troopers descended on her house, charged her with illegal transportation of a protected species, issued her a $535 fine, and made her cry. Why is it so “obvious” that David Gregory deserves to be treated more leniently than a sixth grader? Because he’s got a TV show and she hasn’t?

There’s much more; RTWT.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 29, 2012 @ 2:37 am - December 29, 2012

8. Armed guards at school is not a serious solution to stopping mass shootings. As Gregory pointed out, there were armed guards at Columbine that exchanged fire with one of the shooters,

There was ONE armed resource officer. By your logic, there doesn’t seem to be much point in the USSS serving in the capacity to protect the POTUS, does there? The fact of the matter is that most shooters stop when they have a gun pointed at them.

Comment by TGC — December 29, 2012 @ 3:30 am - December 29, 2012

9. Thank you for the Mark Steyn article, ILC. Another great one from Mr. Steyn!

Comment by Cashless — December 29, 2012 @ 8:43 am - December 29, 2012

10. What is so durably disappointing, and very troubling, about commenters such as Levi is that they never, ever RESPONSIVELY answer OUR questions.

We all know why: because to do so would require them to cede ground. That they will simply not do. He knows perfectly well what is logical and what is not but he will never, ever admit it, and certainly not here to his foes. There is no actual debate or dialogue, just attack, ridicule, dodge, lie and ask questions meant to shut you down.

It’s often impossible to resist assailing Levi and ilk point for point because to not do so feels like we’re leaving a turd flecked with gold colored sprinkles, on the floor, uncovered and everything, and that it might attract just enough people who are distracted by the shiny yet who ignore the stink. We all know that not nearly enough of us have even heard of the Socratic Method, nevermind been trained in it, and it’s terrifying.

Based on what I’ve read thus far, Levi has been around since 2010. Ah. Admirably, GP has not resorted to the cowardly and greedy tactic common at liberal sites known as shadow banning. It does keep GP from turning into an echo chamber which is a good thing.

Levi is either fully committed to his ideology, like a fundamentalist [fill in any religion here, including atheism] or he is here to keep us diverted from the attack at our flanks.

Levi is an Alinsky agitator glued to a loop. He has a job that has nothing to do with winning any of us over.

ILC, TL, V the K and NDT, et al, how about it? It’s just that I so tire of contending with commenters who clearly are not at all interested in saying “Yes, we are guilty of doing X and that should be dealt with by doing Y” or “I see your point. Let me restate it so I’m sure I understand what you mean and let’s delve further.” KWIM?

I can dream, can’t I?… I don’t dream much anymore, but once in a while, it sneaks in when I read my favorite blogs….

Comment by ignatius — December 29, 2012 @ 1:55 pm - December 29, 2012

11. Nick, It would have been pretty damn good if the conversation had gone the way that you’ve described but what would have been spectacular is if LaPierre had called 911 during the interview and stated that he was “watching a man brandishing a high capacity rifle magazine,” and then watch what happened. It would have been the best news footage of the year.

Comment by FireSarge — December 29, 2012 @ 2:30 pm - December 29, 2012

12. If Gregory had an ounce of common-sense, he simply could have had the innards of that now-infamous magazine removed and brandished the outer casing. It’s not that difficult to remove the shell-guide and the mainspring, leaving just the hollow steel shell.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — December 29, 2012 @ 2:52 pm - December 29, 2012

13. FireSarge, now that I’d’ve paid to see. The Steyn piece is a delight.

Comment by ignatius — December 29, 2012 @ 3:48 pm - December 29, 2012

14. There is dispute now whether or not bullets had to be in the magazine for it to be “illegal”.

Comment by Richard Bell — December 30, 2012 @ 10:40 am - December 30, 2012

15. I it hasn’t been posted by another commenter (and I don’t have time to run through all 63 comments) here is the actual statute
    in question:

DC High Capacity Ammunition Magazines – D.C. Official Code 7-2506.01

(b) No person in the District shall possess, sell, or transfer any large capacity ammunition feeding device regardless of whether the device is attached to a firearm. For the purposes of this subsection, the term large capacity ammunition feeding device means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

It doesn’t say anything about the magazine needing to be loaded.

Comment by Tom the Redhunter — December 30, 2012 @ 12:54 pm - December 30, 2012

16. Wow. I go away for a day or so and this thread is still going strong! In case any missed it, they might enjoy the commentary and links provided by Andy @ Ace of Spades today on this very topic:

Comment by JohnAGJ — December 30, 2012 @ 9:31 pm - December 30, 2012

17. I almost forgot, QandO posted this great news video about a home invasion stopped by a 15-year old protecting his younger siblings with an “assault” weapon. Now I wonder what Levi would suggest this young man have done without such a weapon? Hmm…

Comment by JohnAGJ — December 30, 2012 @ 9:35 pm - December 30, 2012

18. *sigh* I hate the lack of an edit feature on these comments…

Comment by JohnAGJ — December 30, 2012 @ 9:36 pm - December 30, 2012

19. It’s often impossible to resist assailing Levi and ilk point for point because to not do so feels like we’re leaving a turd flecked with gold colored sprinkles, on the floor, uncovered and everything, and that it might attract just enough people

Yes, but another factor is that it can be a useful exercise in getting one’s thoughts together. When refuting a troll, I often put together thoughts in new ways that surprise me.

What I’d like to do is take whatever occasional point that is mentioned in faux, or especially honest, disagreement by whoever that is actually interesting and debate it in earnest with earnest others who exhibit reasoning and reasonableness. ILC, TL, V the K and NDT, et al, how about it?

I’d like the same thing, but I’m not sure what you’re asking or proposing, specifically. There are times when I focus on points that Levi happened to make, or at least to imply (since he sometimes doesn’t know what he’s saying) and refute them carefully. There are other times when I may ridicule Levi just for being the ass he is, and still other times when I may ignore him altogether.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 2, 2013 @ 2:34 pm - January 2, 2013

20. The problem is, if it’s a day that ends in y, Levi’s going to lie and ignore the post or parts of posts that shred his lies.

@ignatius,

I’d point out that most of us disagree with Nick’s original post, but were civil in our disagreement.

The little fascist just receives the same civility he gives.

Comment by The_Livewire — January 2, 2013 @ 3:07 pm - January 2, 2013

21. most of us disagree with Nick’s original post, but were civil in our disagreement

Exactly. Civil is, as civil does. I have civil differences with people all the time… sometimes even leftists… and, according to my own choice of mood and tactic, sometimes even with a comment of Levi’s. OTOH, not always; if someone comes at me with a bad attitude, I don’t mind giving it back to them.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 2, 2013 @ 3:21 pm - January 2, 2013

22. ILC, I agree that Levi can and often is useful to us that way with his idiocy, but, there are times when it feels as if all I’m doing is training them how to detect my presence from 3 meters vs 2.5. What I’m asking is, rather than going round after pointless round with an agitator, that we zero in on whatever it is any of us finds particularly novel and hash it around with each other. When debating with friends, it is much easier to explore all the aspects of a notion because we’re not on shifting sand. If there were signs that Levi was actually receiving any of the wisdom imparted here from those who disagree with him, I’d be doing as you have as well, because it would be productive.

TL, yes, polite, yet interested disagreement is what WE do. It is the devotees of Alinsky who seek to undermine how we do what we do and use it against us. I never hesitate to give as good as I get but, on the interwebs, without the benefit of all of the other information that we can pick up from our opponent with our other senses, it is impossible to know if we are being earnestly engaged by a true dissenter, being waylaid or being parasitized. We can only go by their history and so far, Levi et al. seem to have a history of being incorrigible. Ok, fine, but then let’s, amongst our friendly selves, continue dissecting the issue without the distraction of a rabid dog chewing on our leg. Take what they offer and then discuss it without talking to them anymore at all. I yearn for productive exchange, rather than the fruitless waste of time swatting at a bitter mosquito.

I know it can be so very amusing at times to pester the pest. I do it too, though not here much. But, seriously, when I see good, intelligent, smart commenters resort to the same nonsense the pest uses, then I lose interest in the thread. Because it feels like a pissing contest has taken over.

But I guess the answer to my request is “no” and so, oh well, I tried. Carryon……

Comment by ignatius — January 2, 2013 @ 10:01 pm - January 2, 2013

23. *Department of Fruitless Waste Department. *shoves hands in pockets, hunches over toward the exit*

Comment by ignatius — January 2, 2013 @ 10:41 pm - January 2, 2013

24. ignatius,

When it comes to Levi, I’m in the amusing position of him being afraid to confront me, because I bludgeon him with facts and his own words.

I’d be highly amused if Dan and Bruce simply deleted his off topic rants and lies with the comment [comment removed for slander and off topic]

I’ll note that there are a few libs who are civil who come by. Pat being the first one who comes to mind. He’s wrong, but at least he can articulate a factual point. 🙂

Comment by The_Livewire — January 3, 2013 @ 7:57 am - January 3, 2013