Are my computers telling me to take time away from the Internets?

Posted by B. Daniel Blatt at 6:00 pm - January 4, 2013.
Filed under: Blogging,Technology

I sit now in a Starbucks where I have found a slow Internet connection; I had retreated here precisely to access the Internet as I have issues with wireless connections at home.

Sometime last night, the mouse on my iMac (my primary computer and the one only which appears able to regularly to connect to the Internets from my home) just decided to start working erratically, sometimes not functioning at all, other times choosing to work only in certain segments of the screen. I did call AppleCare and a very nice woman named Chimika (sp?) very patiently helped me track down the serial number (since, at that point in the conversation, the mouse wasn’t working on the left side of the screen where is located the Apple icon–I had to climb up on a chair to read the number of the box which, packrat that I am, I had kept*).

Since I had been able to use the Wireless keyboard, she determined it had to be the (wireless) mouse (and not the port on the computer itself), so we set up an appointment (for Sunday) when I could take it in to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store. Fortunately, I have AppleCare so a replacement mouse will be free.

The long and short of this is that I do not have Internet a home. And the internet I found at this here Starbucks is slow. So maybe it’s a sign.

And with my fantasy epic backed up on a thumb drive, I can work on that (even on this laptop) at home. Or even here — because Starbucks’s slow internet shouldn’t impact the speed of Word.

I may try to post when I make an excursion to a neighborhood coffee shop. Or not. Next project now is to cut and paste a post that ILoveCapitalism has written for us.

*See there are virtues to being a packrat. You never know when you might need certain things.

1. My smartphone has tethering (can become its own wifi hotspot), which is suuuuper convenient when I need it… but, drains battery, so I still hit Starbucks for wifi, a lot.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — January 4, 2013 @ 6:11 pm - January 4, 2013

2. See there are virtues to being a packrat. You never know when you might need certain things.

Amen, brother. I’m always astounded whenever I read a product review (usually negative) and the reviewer pans the product after a short period of use and expresses frustration because they can’t return it since they threw out the packaging it came in. (You couldn’t even keep the packaging around long enough to let the merchant return period expire—which is usually thirty days?!)

From a sociological point of view, I see it as another example of the throwaway society. (And yet, I’m willing to guess that these are some of the same people who religiously bring their own bags to stores and bemoan the disposable-society concept themselves.)

Comment by RSG — January 4, 2013 @ 9:29 pm - January 4, 2013

3. sometimes Apple products have wireless issues with connecting. we recently changed from dsl to cable modem, and my girlfriend and her niece get their connections dropped often on their iphones and ipads. my windows laptop has no droppages. you should mention this at the apple store,.

Comment by John Cunningham — January 5, 2013 @ 12:42 am - January 5, 2013

4. Dan, rather than just using a thumbdrive to back up your writing, consider using dropbox.com It’s free.

Comment by Louise B — January 5, 2013 @ 10:57 am - January 5, 2013

5. Dan,

I had trouble with wireless hook-ups being slow and erratic in various apartments I rented. I finally broke down and bought the $180 Apple device and it has been Utopia for me ever since.

Recently, old friends stayed with us and they had their iPhones and iPad with them. We put them in as guests and the four of us surfed and piddled with no complaints. I have cable and never a problem save electricity disruption.

My AirPort Extreme Base Station is going on three years of solid use and I wouldn’t give a second thought to buying another one, if the need arose.

Comment by heliotrope — January 6, 2013 @ 10:49 am - January 6, 2013