Why Don’t Bush-Haters LOVE! Rand Paul?

Perhaps like me, you’re enjoying this great new TV show I just found on C-SPAN2 called Mr. Paul Goes to Washington where my favorite Senator is currently filibustering President Obama’s nominee to head the CIA, John Brennan. As I write this, he’s currently about to ring in his sixth hour. The goal of Senator Paul’s soliloquy is, as he has stated several times since I’ve been watching, simply to elicit one thing: A straight-forward answer to the question, (to paraphrase) ‘Does the president believe he has the legal authority to execute through drone strike non-combatant citizens on American soil?’

Brings up a very interesting point: For eight solid years, we heard screeching and gnashing of teeth from the Left about how George W. Bush wants to kill us all and eat our babies and of course shred the Constitution through wars based on lies and the horrible PATRIOT Act. But in the end, who is it who’s actually standing up for these ideals? Well, so far I’ve seen Senator Paul in exchanges with Senators Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and Pat Toomey. Odd, don’t you think, that it’d be these ‘Tea Party right-winger knuckle-draggers’ who are actually doing the work that the Bush-haters allegedly wanted done while the leaders of their nominative party are lining up with their president in his expansion of Bush’s ‘unitary executive’ policies?

Clearly it’d be expecting waaay too much for the addlepated adherents to the Bush-is-Satan school of political thought to recognize the irony of the situation, let alone find that realization a great opportunity for self-reflection. Sad, that.

-Nick (ColoradoPatriot, from HHQ)

NB: I had originally written the paraphrase of Sen Paul’s question as “power” to execute. Clearly that’s within the president’s power, but I’ve clarified (I hope) by changing my original post to read “legal authority”, which I think is likely more to his point.

1. Go Senator Paul! I’m loving this! I hope he runs for president in ’16, so I can vote for him — and work for his campaign.

I never voted for George W. Bush. In ’08, I actually voted for Obama. Which is why I find it vastly amusing when I voice criticism of Emperor O and hear yet more attacks on a man who’s been out of office for four years.

“But you MUST have been a Bush supporter, if you don’t approve of Obama…” Oh, wait…

Arguing with these idiots is considerably less satisfying than arguing with kindergarteners.

Comment by Lori Heine — March 6, 2013 @ 6:53 pm - March 6, 2013

2. Easy: He doesn’t have a “D” next to his name. These tribal, bigoted neanderthals would never support some outsider from a different party. Their dedication is to the Democrat tribe, not to freedom, not to principles, not to the betterment of the nation.

Comment by Paul — March 6, 2013 @ 7:05 pm - March 6, 2013

3. The truly humorous element is that Rand is attacking Obama from the left. He is speaking against the Iraq war and enhanced interrogations. A lot of his comments were all we heard from the left during the Bush years. The hypocrisy of the left is delicious.

Comment by BurkeanMama — March 6, 2013 @ 7:12 pm - March 6, 2013

4. Now, I know how Andrew Sullivan feels when Obama speaks. #RandPaulMancrush

Comment by V the K — March 6, 2013 @ 7:42 pm - March 6, 2013

5. in no way to diminish the importance of sen. paul’s message, ya gotta admit that this guy has the gift of gab ! what has it been six, seven hours now ?! …but will his historic message today get any mention from our currupt MSM ?

Comment by el polacko — March 6, 2013 @ 8:02 pm - March 6, 2013

6. Because Rand Paul is challenging the flawless so-called first Black President. Sad that it’s actually taken six damned hours to answer a yes or no question, and still no response. Not that I expect one.

Comment by Douglas — March 6, 2013 @ 8:07 pm - March 6, 2013

7. Wow……………….someone is actually bucking the democrats.

I’m guessing they will destroy him on the Sunday morning “news” programs.

Comment by Richard Bell — March 6, 2013 @ 8:07 pm - March 6, 2013

8. It bears remembering, Rand Paul was one of those ‘Tea Party candidates’ the GOP Establishment fought tooth-and-claw. If Karl Rove had his way, Rand Paul would have been killed in the primaries in favor of a more ‘electable’ candidate.

Comment by V the K — March 6, 2013 @ 8:12 pm - March 6, 2013

9. I posted this elswere but… about 10 minutes into watching I had a raging Rand-on. This guy is really awesome.

Comment by gigg — March 6, 2013 @ 9:58 pm - March 6, 2013

10. Agree with this. I can’t understand why liberals are not cchampioning this. I know oneDem Senator has been supporting his Paul but there needs to be more. On the other hand I can’t believe Rand is getting so much support from folks who liked Bush.The unilateral executive is one of the many damaging legacies of the Bush Admin.

Comment by mike — March 7, 2013 @ 1:19 am - March 7, 2013

11. Hence the answer to the question.

Notice how concern-troll mike screams and cries and attacks Bush rather than Obama.

The reason is that concern-troll mike was not against anything he screams and cries over Bush doing. He simply hated Bush and the GOP and was willing to say and do anything to smear them and take power.

Barack Obama has asserted that he has absolute power to imprison and execute any US citizen anywhere, at any time, without due process or trial. And concern-troll mike and the Obama Party wholly and fully support and endorse that, because they want to be able to imprison and kill anyone who disagrees with them politically, just as Bill Ayers wanted.

So question, mike: at what point will you start attacking Obama and what he is doing NOW instead of screaming and wetting yourself over what you claim someone was doing OVER FOUR YEARS AGO?

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 7, 2013 @ 9:02 am - March 7, 2013

12. FYI, this is why facts are wasted on concern-troll mike and other “progressives”.

They are nothing more than deranged cultists.

Seriously. Concern-troll mike is sitting here stating that it is Bush’s fault that Obama is pushing a policy that mike supposedly opposes.

How is that happening? How is it even possible?

Perhaps the concern-troll mike will explain to us what demonic spell, what strange voodoo rite, what mutant power, what advanced technology, what method of mind control that Bush, who mike and his fellow liberals insisted was a drooling subhuman chimp-Hitler hybrid, is using to compel super-genius Nobel Prize laureate Lightworker Barack “Our Lord and Savior” Obama to do exactly what mike claims Bush did and worse.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 7, 2013 @ 9:23 am - March 7, 2013

13. When it comes to drone strikes I absolutely love the idiot liberals who say “It is fine because I trust the president to not do anything unethical” however they miss the point that the president they trust isn’t going to be president forever-as a matter of fact we know exactly what date he will no longer be president.

The power they are currently fine with, is a power all presidents will have.

Comment by Just Me — March 7, 2013 @ 9:56 am - March 7, 2013

14. Meh, we have all figured out the game the concern troll is playing. I would not take any thing he posts seriously.

Comment by V the K — March 7, 2013 @ 10:47 am - March 7, 2013

15. The unilateral executive is one of the many damaging legacies of the Bush Admin.

Yes, because Bush expressed a desire to assassinate Americans on American soil without trial (where there is no presence of imminent threat).

I barely paid attention to politics until after Obama became president, but I can still remember thinking that the Patriot Act was a good idea. However, as the US’s federal government began to grant itself more and more power, I realized that the precedent set by the Patriot Act was rather pernicious. That is, I had an ideological shift. I would imagine many other people had the same realization as me, and had a similar ideological shift.

Comment by Rattlesnake — March 7, 2013 @ 4:58 pm - March 7, 2013

16. Not that I have to live under the Patriot Act or anything, but I agreed with the philosophy behind it.

Comment by Rattlesnake — March 7, 2013 @ 4:59 pm - March 7, 2013

17. “Meh, we have all figured out the game the concern troll is playing. I would not take any thing he posts seriously.”

That’s fine. I guess for you, as long as someone fits into the distinct labels of your choosing its lets you decide how to feel about what they say.
    However, if the republican mainstream is like you, then the republicans have no chance to govern again.
    I have voted for repubs – T-Paw and Coleman
    I have voted for Dems – straight line for presidents
    I have voted independent – Ventura

I am the classic Urban American. Socially liberal fiscal moderate.

Comment by mike — March 8, 2013 @ 5:51 am - March 8, 2013

18. Actually, mike, we find it illuminating that you won’t answer simple questions, such as: at what point will you start attacking Obama and what he is doing NOW instead of screaming and wetting yourself over what you claim someone was doing OVER FOUR YEARS AGO?

And perhaps you will explain to us what demonic spell, what strange voodoo rite, what mutant power, what advanced technology, what method of mind control that Bush, who you and your fellow liberals insisted was a drooling subhuman chimp-Hitler hybrid, is using to compel super-genius Nobel Prize laureate Lightworker Barack “Our Lord and Savior” Obama to do exactly what you claim Bush did and worse.

Perhaps you would have more credibility if you answered those questions instead of making dubious, easily-disproved claims about for whom you allegedly voted.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — March 8, 2013 @ 3:47 pm - March 8, 2013

19. #13 — “The power they are currently fine with, is a power all presidents will have.”

This is absolutely right. Senator Paul made a point of saying that if a Republican were president right now, he’d be taking the same stand.

I used to ask Republicans, during the Bush years, if they were comfy with a future liberal Democrat in the White House having the same powers as Bush. I got a lot of mumbling and squirming, but none would answer my question.

I now take great delight in asking “progressives” the same question. More mumbling and squirming ensues.

Even more fun comes when I tell them I used to ask Republicans the same question — and got the same non-answer.

Head explosions are messy, but so entertaining.

Comment by Lori Heine — March 8, 2013 @ 8:02 pm - March 8, 2013