Obama declares his budget ‘fiscally responsible’

Posted by Jeff (ILoveCapitalism) at 6:52 pm - April 10, 2013.
Filed under: Debt Crisis,Economy,Obama Arrogance,Obama Prevarications

And that settles the question, right? Because, in the new world’s glorious Declarative style of governing, what Obama says he’s doing is what counts; never mind the facts.

Well, let’s try on a few facts:

Don’t get me wrong: Obama had kind of a point, in 2008. A point which should be applied doubly now, to him.

Hypocrisy alert level Red (Severe): Obama also declared that “Our economy is poised for progress as long as Washington doesn’t get in the way.”

Hmm… What law could Obama be implementing right now that puts businesses in a quandary, making it tougher for them both to plan and to hire people? What could it be?

[**] NB: These points were overstated in the original version of this post; I regret the error. Actual federal spending grew through the 2000s, peaked in 2009 (the Obama “stimulus” budget – thank you, RH at comment #9), declined in 2010, and has increased again since 2010. The increases have been smaller than GDP growth, so that federal spending has declined since 2009 as a percentage of GDP; while still remaining, at 22% of GDP, higher than in the Clinton-Bush era.

1. Every time that preening, self-involved douchebag “declares” something, I die a little inside.

I’m especially fond of the little nugget tucked away inside that limits IRA’s to $3 million. After all, the Mocha Messiah teaches us, “at some point, you’ve made enough money.”

Comment by My Sharia Moor — April 10, 2013 @ 9:11 pm - April 10, 2013

2. My long term business associates are dropping like flies. A manufacturer of a very high quality device I use in my own designs has decided to pack it in and retire to his place in Arkansas. It’s just no fun anymore.

Comment by Richard Bell — April 11, 2013 @ 12:33 am - April 11, 2013

3. All I know is the left wing hates his budget. And the right wing hates his budget.

Sounds like a compromise of some sorts to me.

Comment by mike — April 11, 2013 @ 2:37 am - April 11, 2013

4. And the concern troll illustrates the very narrow limits of his thinking. He can’t see beyond the politics of the thing. “Oh, both sides complain about it, so it must be a compromise.” He is utterly incapable of analyzing the thing itself on its own merits, because that involves math, which is hard and unforgiving.

The bottom line is, the Obama budget still represents a massive and unsustainable level of spending; with no mechanism for bringing that spending back into line with what is reasonable and affordable.

Nor is fiscal responsibility something Obama cares about at all. Budgets are no fun. Sticking conservatives (“bitter clingers”) in the eye with gun control… that’s fun. Using Amnesty to shore up the Democrat base of low-information voters… that’s fun. Then it’s off to the golf course, and later another lavish White House party with lots of cool celebrities… that’s fun.

You have to look at what Obama actually does, and what he actually spends his time fighting for, to see what he really cares about.

Comment by V the K — April 11, 2013 @ 6:27 am - April 11, 2013

5. Obama doesn’t have a clue about fiscal responsibility. He has spent like a drunken sailor with an unlimited budget on his personal lifestyle, all the while slandering millionaires and billionaires “not paying their fair share”. Now his latest gimmick is to forego 5% of his salary. Hahahahaha. How about foregoing 5% of his campaign flights or some of his golf rounds or some of the trips around the world for his children or some of the lavish White House parties? How about sharing a plane when he and Michelle go on another vacation? Of course, i am not sure I blame him for that. Spit. What a cartoon of a Prezy of the United Statezy. And some people actually believe him, sad and pitiful.

Comment by Texann — April 11, 2013 @ 9:20 am - April 11, 2013

6. It’s just all one big cynical game: build a society of ignorant (low-information, poor education) malcontents (weaned on identity and victim politics), then get elected and re-elected to now-swanky bureaucrat jobs with salaries and benefits that are far better than the private sector you demonize, spend the rest of your life resting on whatever laurels our cultural arbiters award giving speeches at 100K a pop, receiving honorary doctorates at any and every school that wants to burnish its reputation in a merit-less society, and deign to slum in a high-paying window dressing job at the UN doing the important work of social justice and community organization worldwide.

Comment by Ignatius — April 11, 2013 @ 12:01 pm - April 11, 2013

7. I know that most everyone that comments on this blog is fully cognizant that Obama doesn’t care abour budgets or budgeting, cutting the massive deficits, working with the opposition party, or doing anything remotely close to leading and governing. I realize it goes without saying, but I just can’t help it – to not frame everything he does and says in that context is dangerous to one’s mental health. As we say: “He is what he is!”

What he is interested in is destroying, for ever, the opposition party. He is surely enamored with the trappings of royalty, and the permanent ensconcement of his fellow socialist/statists. ipso facto

ILC, one comment about 2008, and giving him a “point” in the “basketball game” of politics(wow – does he have hands of stone or what?). He doesn’t really deserve that point because he was only saying what he said to annoy, impune and demean Bush. It certainly didn’t come from a deep understanding of deficit economics, or a sincere interest in balanced budgets. If it did, then we would not be in the middle of this $hit storm we are in thanks to the boy king. So, with all due respect, and I have much for your thoughts, I will take that point away from obama and give it to Bush – score: Bush 1 & obama 0!!

Comment by mixitup — April 11, 2013 @ 4:28 pm - April 11, 2013

8. And I declare myself to be a talented actor, so where’s my Oscar?

Comment by B. Daniel Blatt — April 11, 2013 @ 6:45 pm - April 11, 2013

9. One small addition to the NB: Federal spending declined in FY 2010 from FY 2009 as much (though not all) of the “Stimulus” (ARRA) was spent in FY 2009.

Comment by Roland Hirsch — April 11, 2013 @ 8:34 pm - April 11, 2013

10. Obama’s pronouncements remind me of a statement I heard years ago, and I think sums it up concisely, “You can believe anything you want, but it won’t change the truth.”

Comment by wildjavelina — April 12, 2013 @ 11:47 am - April 12, 2013

11. I believe that when Obama declared a $400 million budget deficit ‘unpatriotic’, he meant that it wasn’t high enough.

Comment by Blair Ivey — April 12, 2013 @ 9:15 pm - April 12, 2013