Name that Obama-era affliction

In a previous post, I wrote about Obamacare Schadenfreude, that feeling of amusement when some ardent supporters of Obamacare realize that that monstrous piece of legislation will have negative consequences for them or for causes about which they claim to care.  I was reminded of that post again yesterday when I heard that one of the authors of Obamacare, Max Baucus (D-Montana), complained that the implementation of Obamacare was going to be a “huge train-wreck coming down.”

Likewise, a little over a week ago, Jay Rockefeller (D-West Virginia) complained about the incomprehensible complexity of the law:  “‘I believe that the Affordable Care Act is probably the most complex piece of legislation ever passed by the United States Congress,’ he said, as quoted in the Washington Examiner. ‘Tax reform obviously has been huge, too, but up to this point it is just beyond comprehension.’”  My response to both Senators is simply to respond:  well, isn’t that just too bad.

Today, though, I’d rather write about another Obama-era affliction which I’ve been suffering with since late January 2009.    It is something akin to depression, and it is brought on or exacerbated by the daily outrages resulting from this administration’s policies.

Sometimes it boils up to anger which gives me more energy, but at other times I feel listless and unmotivated or even hopeless.  At times, I get by just focusing on the routines and necessary activities of my daily life, but sometimes even those feel like a burden.  Writing about the issues can be therapeutic, though there are many times when I’d rather not think about them at all.

So what to call this condition?  “Obamalaise” came to mind, but I think others have used that to describe the lingering weakness in our economy.

I also thought of “Obama Weltschmerz.”  That conveys the angst and depression, and I like the fact that, like Obamacare Schadenfreude, it uses a German word.  As I see it, the use of a German word helps to communicate my sense that Obama’s America feels like it’s headed towards the sort of economic collapse which characterized Weimar Germany.

Maybe that’s too dark.  “Obamanomie” communicates a sense of impending social instability and alienation.  That might get at the matter a little better, though it’s perhaps even more depressing to think about.

In any case, I know I’m not the only one suffering with this condition.  I suspect many of our readers are, too.  What would you call it?

1. I’ve been suffering from the same disease for the past five years. I also refer to it as the Obama Malaise. I’ve been self-medicating with a combination of prayer, exercise, focus on family/dog & work and a daily dose of wine!

Comment by Annie — April 19, 2013 @ 1:46 am - April 19, 2013

2. I think Obama is just a symptom of the problem; if 51% of the electorate feels that free contraceptives and subsidies for Big Bird are more important than sound fiscal and economic policies, it’s hard to have any optimism about the future of the country.

I guess you could call it “Reality Awareness Temporal Syndrome” (RATS)

Comment by V the K — April 19, 2013 @ 7:44 am - April 19, 2013

3. Obamennui.

Comment by Ignatius — April 19, 2013 @ 8:35 am - April 19, 2013

4. Progressive Malignancy Dread.

Comment by heliotrope — April 19, 2013 @ 8:39 am - April 19, 2013

5. I call it the advent of the Obamanation. Our helplessness in the face of an out of control federal government. Plus the attitude of Pelosi, Reid and Obama that they are the “smart” ones who know what is best for the rest of us little people. Nauseating, infuriating and frustrating. Intimating that the rest of us are too stupid to know what is best for us. And they expect us to pay for their utopian nightmare! Just insult after insult and then abuse!

Comment by Texann — April 19, 2013 @ 8:41 am - April 19, 2013

6. Whatever the name of the condition, it arises from outside yourself. We continue to be Barack-handed by this Chicago mob. — Fred

Comment by Fred Teerick — April 19, 2013 @ 9:16 am - April 19, 2013

7. How about “Barakonomics”?
    Defined as “…a high-pitching and annoying whining sound while all around is unrelenting gloom”.

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — April 19, 2013 @ 10:15 am - April 19, 2013

8. Whatever you call it, I have the same symptoms too, anger, depression, dismay…. sometimes I have to take a break from the news for a day or two and pretend that our country isn’t being destroyed. On another note, if dems like Rockefeller and Baucus are expressing concerns about Obamacare, I can only imagine how bad it really is.

Comment by Cashless — April 19, 2013 @ 10:43 am - April 19, 2013

9. I don’t really have anger or depression; but if it tells you anything, my primary source of hope is that Obama’s presidency will lead to a national bankruptcy that forces a velvet divorce between the red states and the blue states.

It’s hard to believe our problems can be solved when anyone who even puts forth a modest step in the direction of solving them… like Rand Paul, or Paul Ryan… is immediately vilified by the FSA.*

* Free Sh-t Army; a.k.a. the 47% with their teeth firmly clamped on the Government Teat.

Comment by V the K — April 19, 2013 @ 10:48 am - April 19, 2013

10. VtheK,

In the dark corners of my heart, I find myself siding with a new Confederated States of America. In my dreams, we would adopt the Constitution of the United States with some clarification of “interstate commerce” and the taxing powers. I would also clarify the distinction between the powers and purview of the states and the limited concerns of the national government.

We have no reasons to impel us to “out think” the founding fathers.

I would define “the general welfare” as the stable environment necessary on the national level which permits the states to address the issues of intrastate welfare in their own manner.

But you and I both know that social issues would be high on the list of single issue libertarians, conservatives, moderates and liberals who would rather force their demands than seek a political conclusion under the rules of an ordered society.

Comment by heliotrope — April 19, 2013 @ 11:26 am - April 19, 2013

11. Apparently, if the choice is between gay marriage and free contraception on one hand … and avoiding bankruptcy and economic collapse… a majority would rather be broke and and jobless.

Comment by V the K — April 19, 2013 @ 12:29 pm - April 19, 2013

12. V the K and Heliotrope: I often wonder the same thing about the “new Confederated States” as Heliotrope puts it. The trouble is that outside of Texas, Oklahoma and a few other solid “red” states, it’s hard to know which other states would go together and whether or not any “purple” states would go with them or be stuck in a union with the “blue states.” There’s also the issue with the location of the states relative to each other. New Mexico, for instance, has the voting history of a “blue” state, but it also has a terrific Republican governor, and it is bordered by Texas, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado, another “purple” state, which is turning more “blue” as the days go by.

Comment by Kurt — April 19, 2013 @ 12:32 pm - April 19, 2013

13. Ohio’s the opposite Kurt. lots of red, being tainted by the fraud and problems of the blue cities.

2012 proved to me that we’ll see the Governour’s house flip unless Kaisich can motivate the Converatives, to over come the fraud in Cuyohoga county.

Comment by The_Livewire — April 19, 2013 @ 1:19 pm - April 19, 2013

14. Obama’s voice causes me to turn the TV or radio every time he speaks. If a 9/11-sized attack were to happen, I could not even be turned back to hear him speak about it, no matter how healing or energizing his words may be. I am tired of being attacked as racist or hateful since I disagree with his policies. He has surely split the country more when a better man could have united us after the Bush years.

Comment by eeyore — April 19, 2013 @ 4:12 pm - April 19, 2013

15. eeyore–I do that, too, and have heard it from several other people, as well. I almost always change the station or turn it off completely when he comes on. The only times when I don’t are when I’m just waking up and am too disoriented to turn it off in time, though usually I get out of bed right after that.

Comment by Kurt — April 19, 2013 @ 5:23 pm - April 19, 2013

16. I can’t help but mutter and reach for the remote when the Obamessiah-liar barges into my audio/visual presence.

With great anticipation, I await the developments on this from Glenn Beck.</a.

Comment by heliotrope — April 19, 2013 @ 7:37 pm - April 19, 2013

17. A law which is all-reaching and incomprehensible: Sounds like a socialist’s wet dream.

Comment by pst314 — April 19, 2013 @ 9:34 pm - April 19, 2013

18. eeyore and Kurt,

I am of your camp too. I was even going to take off Inauguration Day as I would not have been able to stand being surrounded by all those TVs focusing on Obama and his lies disguised as genius and policy. (My schedule changed, and I didn’t have to.)

For the main question, Obamaschmerz is my suggestion. Obama the man is not worth the extra syllable. (The feeling is more like lib-schmerz, but I want to focus on the cause of my disgust.)

Comment by Arkelk — April 19, 2013 @ 10:00 pm - April 19, 2013

19. In any case, I know I’m not the only one suffering with this condition. I suspect many of our readers are, too. What would you call it?

Barackalypse Now!

Comment by Gary L — April 19, 2013 @ 10:28 pm - April 19, 2013

20. Barackalypse Now!

No more calls – we have a winner! :-)

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 20, 2013 @ 11:45 am - April 20, 2013

21. It’s called “sanity.”

Comment by Michael — April 22, 2013 @ 2:29 pm - April 22, 2013

22. It’s called “sanity.”

Only in Bizarro Libtard World. To us, it is hell on earth.

Regards,