Topless protestors to hound Islamists

This article from Femen, the feminist protest group, just came across HotAir’s Headlines section:

For the past five years now, we here at the international women’s movement Femen have been waging an active campaign of resistance to the patriarchy in various corners of the world…

The most obvious illustration of the patriarchy is Islamic theocracy, a symbiosis of political and religious dictatorship…

At the heart of Islamism lies the enslavement of women based on control over their sexuality…

I hereby both promise and threaten to deploy an entire network of Femen activists in Arab countries. We will hound Islamic leaders across the globe, subjecting them to desolating criticism. We intend to hound spiritual leaders who are personally responsible for mistreating women…

Femen stands for “democracy, atheism, and sexuality” (per the article), and famously protested Vladimir Putin a couple of weeks ago (video here).

I do NOT endorse everything they believe or do[1], but what’s interesting here is the phenomenon of a left-wing protest group realizing that Islamism is a major threat to the freedom that they seek to live out, and declaring their intention to confront Islamism. We see that occasionally, but not often enough. Some other leftists go for safer targets (such as Christians who, in reality, pose no great threat to them).

These women may be in for some rough times, if they carry out their declaration. While not necessarily endorsing all that they do, let’s give them some credit for their new-found insight, and wish them health and safety!

[1] But, as some know, I may sometimes link people whom I disagree with or even reject.

1. I’m really not a big fan of feminist but if they have the courage to do what so many other groups will not touch with a ten foot pole then God Go With Them. Oops I forgot that they are Atheist.

Comment by Mike — April 24, 2013 @ 5:32 am - April 24, 2013

2. Bit late to the party, but glad to see ‘em.

(No, not that way. At work, so I don’t click on the link)

Comment by The_Livewire — April 24, 2013 @ 8:14 am - April 24, 2013

3. “Femen.” Any group whose name contains the word “men” has my support.

ILC recently linked a racist website devoted to portraying black Americans as violent, biologically inferior, etc., then defended his doing so. Thread here. As long as liberalism has critics like ILC, the Democratic Party can smile and rest easily.

Comment by Ignatius — April 24, 2013 @ 10:18 am - April 24, 2013

4. Clarification: “Any group whose name contains the word “men” has my support.” Well, at least for the name.

Comment by Ignatius — April 24, 2013 @ 10:20 am - April 24, 2013

5. ILC recently linked a racist website devoted to portraying black Americans as violent, biologically inferior, etc., then defended his doing so.

Iggy, I’m smiling right now because ILC is living rent-free inside your head. Where there is probably lots of space to move around I imagine.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 24, 2013 @ 10:23 am - April 24, 2013

6. Ah, yes. The circling of the wagons has begun.

Comment by Ignatius — April 24, 2013 @ 10:28 am - April 24, 2013

7. Peter – exactly.

Iggy – Thanks for providing the link, so that if anyone actually cares, they could form their own opinion. That said: This is a new thread. You’ve expressed your point, both there and here. Time to knock it off, here. This one is for discussing Femen.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 24, 2013 @ 10:46 am - April 24, 2013

8. Ah, yes. The circling of the wagons has begun.

So it’s not OK when conservatives do it? I see.

Hypocrisy, thy name is liberalism.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 24, 2013 @ 10:55 am - April 24, 2013

9. Peter – Appreciate the fly-swatting. But for consistency, I have to take the same stand. Femen… ;-)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 24, 2013 @ 11:30 am - April 24, 2013

10. It’ll be interesting to see if a small gay contingent follows suit and start their own protest of the cruel treatment of gays in militant Islamic culture.

Comment by Regards, Vince S. — April 24, 2013 @ 11:54 am - April 24, 2013

11. Here’s a quasi-counterpoint I found while reading the main link of ILC’s post. There are valid points on both sides of the debate to be had.

On Methods: “Shock tactics can, and do work.” But, “there are [people] in those communities working to remedy this, using different tools … and in all likelihood just as effective or … more so, than Femen’s methods.”

Self-reliance: “If you are only viewing people as hapless, helpless children … you rob them of agency”

Conclusion: “The Femen message … is good and true. But their methods leave much to be desired.”

Comment by Regards, Vince S. — April 24, 2013 @ 12:04 pm - April 24, 2013

12. RVS: Nice link. I, too, have questions about their effectiveness.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 24, 2013 @ 12:09 pm - April 24, 2013

13. I respect the right to protest. I respect the right of a given church to fund protests against gay marriage. I respect Westboro Baptist making fools of themselves in a venal way. Because I respect the First Amendment does not mean I automatically respect, in the sense of concur, with how the protest is carried out or what is being protested.

That said, if every other protest that “Femen” carries out is contrary to my belief system, I am still open minded enough and man enough to give them credit for getting this one right.

In fact, I find it delicious. The fundamental Islamist religious police grab a woman in the mall for not being with a male family member and a “Femen” member steps forward and flashes him and makes him choke with apoplexy. I would enjoy watching that on You Tube. Not for the boobies, but for seeing the the self-righteous PC policeman whirl himself into a frenzy.

Maybe the women could wear pasties made of strips of bacon, just for the sake of modesty.

Comment by heliotrope — April 24, 2013 @ 12:21 pm - April 24, 2013

14. [deleted - this thread is to give Femen some attention, as already told to 2 others]

Comment by Regards, Vince S. — April 24, 2013 @ 12:44 pm - April 24, 2013

15. if every other protest that “Femen” carries out is contrary to my belief system, I am still open minded enough and man enough to give them credit for getting this one right. In fact, I find it delicious.

Exactly! :-)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 24, 2013 @ 12:54 pm - April 24, 2013

16. [deleted - this thread is to give Femen some attention, as already told to 2 others]

Comment by Regards, Vince S. — April 24, 2013 @ 1:00 pm - April 24, 2013

17. [deleted - thread is for Femen, not for RVS' ego]

Comment by Regards, Vince S. — April 24, 2013 @ 1:45 pm - April 24, 2013

18. Does this make the protestors “Femen-Nazis?”

Sorry, couldn’t resist. ;-)

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 24, 2013 @ 4:09 pm - April 24, 2013

19. Some of them look like Playmates.

Regards,
    Vince S.

Comment by Regards, Vince S. — April 24, 2013 @ 4:19 pm - April 24, 2013

20. [deleted slag-by-name of another commentor - sorry Peter, but let's keep it on Femen or related political topics]

Libtards have to be the most egotistical people on the planet.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 24, 2013 @ 7:02 pm - April 24, 2013

21. [deleted slag-by-name of another commentor - keepin' it Femen]

Comment by Vince Smetana — April 24, 2013 @ 7:09 pm - April 24, 2013

22. [deleted slag-by-name of another commentor - sorry Peter, but let's keep it on Femen or related political topics]

Now, martini time…

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 24, 2013 @ 7:14 pm - April 24, 2013

23. [deleted slag-by-name of another commentor]

Comment by Vince Smetana — April 24, 2013 @ 7:20 pm - April 24, 2013

24. It occurs to me that if more organizations based primarily upon ideologies demonstrated the courage of their convictions as Femen seems to be doing here (in a rare moment if clarity), we’d all be much better off.

Comment by My Sharia Moor — April 24, 2013 @ 8:57 pm - April 24, 2013

25. If they protest in some ME countries they may indeed be topless and it will definitely NSF!

Comment by James — April 24, 2013 @ 9:09 pm - April 24, 2013

26. I hate to go all libertarian again, but…topless protestors? Cool!

No, seriously, I salute them. I’m glad to see some people in P.C. Europe are finally getting sick of letting extremist nutbags push them around.

The whole concept of people getting their undies in a wad about what other people do is really getting tiresome. It’s unhealthy mentally, emotionally and spiritually — as well as politically. It is also a humongous waste of time.

Sooner or later, all this bowing and scraping to the sensibilities of Dark Age losers had to reach a tipping point. You go, girls!

Comment by Lori Heine — April 25, 2013 @ 1:25 am - April 25, 2013

27. Lori – “Topless Protestors to Hound Islamists” may be the funnest headline I’ve written!

(meaning, the funnest headline that I’ve had the privilege of typing in… credit goes to CNN, it’s their headline)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 25, 2013 @ 3:23 am - April 25, 2013

28. #27 — ILC, I know it instantly drew me!

Comment by Lori Heine — April 25, 2013 @ 4:04 am - April 25, 2013

29. Well ‘Protesters Puppies to Hound Islamists’ would have worked.

“Topless Protesters to Topple Tyrany.”

“Left Wing Protests, Finally Abreast of Real Oppression.”

Comment by The_Livewire — April 25, 2013 @ 7:19 am - April 25, 2013

30. They’re going to make boobs out of themselves. Good.

It is about time they stood up to the Islamists. Leftwingwackos normally are cowards in this area.

Comment by BeeKay — April 25, 2013 @ 8:24 am - April 25, 2013

31. So, apparently, acting out fetish Pr0n scenarios in public and assaulting Catholic Church officials is supposed to promote respect for women.

Got it.

Comment by V the K — April 25, 2013 @ 9:14 am - April 25, 2013

32. Femen: Speaking tits to power.

Yeah, I can dig it.

Comment by My Sharia Moor — April 25, 2013 @ 9:33 am - April 25, 2013

33. [deleted yummy recipe for chipotle scallops and hilarious name-calling of a troll who totally deserves it]

And that goes for your mother, too!

Comment by V the K — April 25, 2013 @ 9:49 am - April 25, 2013

34. ….yummy recipe for chipotle scallops

Yessir!
    ‘Bay’ or ‘Sea’?

Comment by Jman1961 — April 25, 2013 @ 9:54 am - April 25, 2013

35. Re: V’s link.

I think if the lib thought is that we’re no more ‘special’ than animals, we just need to treat them like training the puppy to be house broken.

So we reward them when they do the right thing (use the puppy pad, protest Islamists) and rub their nose in it when they don’t (assault the bishop, pee on the carpet.)

Comment by The_Livewire — April 25, 2013 @ 10:14 am - April 25, 2013

36. Heh :-)

V #31 link – Yeah, that’s nasty. All the more why seeing them get one right, is a nice surprise. Didn’t know they were Ukrainian. (Did think they sounded vaguely German or Russian.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 25, 2013 @ 10:17 am - April 25, 2013

37. [deleted - RVS: I've made clear that this thread is not yours to sidetrack, with your score-keeping agenda. No more. This is your last warning. --Jeff]

Comment by Regards, Vince S. — April 25, 2013 @ 11:40 am - April 25, 2013

38. Piss, piss, piss…moan, moan…

Comment by Regards, Vince S. — April 25, 2013 @ 11:40 am – April 25, 2013

If you prefer your coffee as old as your comments, well, then, no wonder you’re so lonely.

Comment by My Sharia Moor — April 25, 2013 @ 11:46 am - April 25, 2013

39. Heaven knows that the Dhimmicrats are so fond of being protective of women and their issues.

Just ask Anthony Weiner and Bill Clinton.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 25, 2013 @ 11:51 am - April 25, 2013

40. I also love the vivid image of Femen having an army of activists at the ready, to ”deploy’ in many countries. (“I hereby both promise and threaten to deploy an entire network of Femen activists in Arab countries…”)

Honestly, I don’t expect they have so many activists. But if it were true, and if they did it… who knows what could result?

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 25, 2013 @ 4:06 pm - April 25, 2013

41. The latest photo of Femen in action around a catholic priest on HotAir makes me sick.

Comment by SC.Swampfox — April 29, 2013 @ 3:59 pm - April 29, 2013

42. The latest photo of Femen in action around a catholic priest on HotAir makes me sick.

Ditto to that. Even though I’m not Catholic, I think the priest was wronged and (to his credit) kept his dignity throughout the whole disgraceful episode.

Well, typical libtards. No class, all a$$.

Regards
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — April 29, 2013 @ 5:21 pm - April 29, 2013

43. SC and Peter – Fair criticism. For posterity, here is what you are talking about: : http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2013/04/28/photo-find-the-hater-nsfw

(Warning, link is Not Safe For Work)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — April 30, 2013 @ 2:48 pm - April 30, 2013