Jason Collins Is No Hero; Mark Bingham Was.

Posted by Bruce Carroll at 9:55 pm - April 30, 2013.
Filed under: Gay America,Gay Culture,Gay PC Silliness

My new post at Ricochet has been up for a couple of hours and it is causing an interesting reaction for me on Twitter.

Here’s a sneak peek:

Let’s be honest: Collins is an uber-wealthy and talented super athlete in our celebrity-obsessed society.  I doubt he has much to worry about outside of his bubble.  So I’m sorry if I can’t get worked up about this.

<…>

Today, most young people think Lady Gaga is an important gay icon and political influencer, yet hardly any have ever heard of Mark Bingham.

I don’t begrudge Jason Collins; I loathe our news media for making the important irrelevant and the ridiculous praiseworthy.

Please read it.  If you don’t read the whole column, I will delete your comments.  Because I now have ESP powers.  HA!

UPDATE:  Let me add a thought I had after I wrote it:  Barack Obama can call Jason Collins and Sandra Fluke, but not the family of Brian Terry or those he left to die in Benghazi.  That says all I need to know about Obama.

-Bruce (@GayPatriot)

1. His “coming out” benefits no one but himself.

Disagree.

One man sat in the back of an airplane and risked his life so that hundreds or thousands more might live.

Agree.

Comment by VS — April 30, 2013 @ 10:02 pm - April 30, 2013

2. Your update: ” Barack Obama can call Jason Collins and Sandra Fluke, but not the family of Brian Terry or those he left to die in Benghazi.”

Yep, that does say all there is about Obama.

Comment by Charles — April 30, 2013 @ 10:05 pm - April 30, 2013

3. If this brings attention to Mark Bingham, then it’s a good thing.

If, every time somebody mentions Jason Collins, you counter by saying “Mark Bingham,” that’s great. Mr. Bingham was certainly a hero, by any meaningful definition of the word.

This is an effective argument, and a worthwhile point of view. It runs circles around the mentality that sees nothing wrong with hetero athletes cheating on their wives with hundreds of women, yet — when one gay athlete comes out — accuses him of flaunting his sexuality.

Comment by Lori Heine — April 30, 2013 @ 10:09 pm - April 30, 2013

4. I posted this in error on another thread, and I want to put it here, where it belongs:

Just got through reading the article, Bruce.

I agree with the commenters at Ricochet who pointed out how, as a culture, we elevate the trivial (and thereby denigrate the meaningful), along with the way we throw around the words ‘hero’ and ‘courageous’, as often as not for people completely undeserving of them.

I followed the link to MarkBingham.com, and like another of the commenters on your piece, I’m ashamed of myself for not remembering the name of this truly courageous man, and the bravery he evidenced on that flight on September 11, 2001.
    God bless him, and may he rest in peace.

Thank you, Bruce.

Comment by Jman1961 — April 30, 2013 @ 10:28 pm - April 30, 2013

5. And now, to add fuel to this post by moving from the sublime to the ridiculous by the MSM on this topic. Here is the ultimate in ridiculocity:

Oh, by the way, I did read the whole column.

Comment by mixitup — April 30, 2013 @ 10:54 pm - April 30, 2013

6. Christine Brennan is close to the mark. You may not be able to compare this to a Jackie Robinson moment but it ranks up there and certainly goes down as one of the more significant events in Sporting history. He is the first NBA player to come out when many other NBA players said there would never be and could never be a gay player. His handlers told him not to do it because it would ruin his career. But he had the balls to be true to himself and is now a role model to lots of gay kids. He also is breaking down stereotypes. Gay men can and do excel at athletics – not just interior decorating and hair styling. If you don’t get why this is major to the gay community, you need to either be educated or don’t embarrass yourself by saying you’re gay with this sort of self-loathing.

Comment by omg — May 1, 2013 @ 12:06 am - May 1, 2013

7. While I can share your sentiment about the gushing of the media about the announcement and agreement words like “hero” are probably a bit of hyperbole, I would hope we could still be compassionate enough to realize this is a man who still had to take some courage to come out, and should get extra points for being the first one in any professional sport to do so.

His actions are admirable considering the normally more hyper-masculine environment in which he’s employed, but obviously the act needs to proper context, both in admiring the man and not making him some Messiah. But then again, when have you not seen the liberal news media gush overzealously about those with which whom they agree politically? :)

Comment by Tim in MT — May 1, 2013 @ 3:39 am - May 1, 2013

8. When Ellen came out in 1997, one of our local radio hosts said it perfectly, “Ellen is an unfunny show. Now it’s an unfunny show about a lesbian.” (I happen to agree, and think she’s gotten funnier with age)

Jason Collins was a fading Basketball player. Now he’s a fading Basketball player, who is gay.

Comment by The_Livewire — May 1, 2013 @ 7:20 am - May 1, 2013

9. I am ashamed to acknowledge that I had forgotten about Mr. Bingham. OTOH, the important thing about him was not his sexuality, it was his courage! The measure of a man is not in his sexuality but in his heart and his honor.

I cannot feel that a man, at the END of his career, who makes a publicity stunt out of his announcement about being a gay man, is at all courageous. At a time when gay men and women are featured in pop culture, it is not courageous to acknowledge yourself. He has no career left and thus nothing to lose by doing so. But he managed to get more press in 24 hours than he did his entire career. And that is the bottom line. Not a step forward for the gay community, just a publicity stunt by a fading NBA has been.

Comment by Texann — May 1, 2013 @ 9:07 am - May 1, 2013

10. so jason collins is gay,what else is new.sometimes when people are gay everyone has to know ,keep it to yourself.

Comment by louise mackay — May 1, 2013 @ 12:11 pm - May 1, 2013

11. main point id who cares.

Comment by louise mackay — May 1, 2013 @ 12:12 pm - May 1, 2013

12. Sorry omg, Christine Brennan is a light year away from the “mark.” What Branch Rickey and Jackie Robinson accomplished and suffered through is so far from what Jason Collins has done, that it actually does a disservic to what he really HAS done. If you get my drift.

Actually, Livewire and Texann have a better take on Jason Collins.

And, just when you thought the MSM was crazy, comes this:

My oh my, the “rediculocity” knows no bounds!!!!

Comment by mixitup — May 1, 2013 @ 12:56 pm - May 1, 2013

13. I’m not going to be able to start every comment I make with “I generally don’t comment on things” am I? I stopped watching “Warehouse 13″ a couple years ago because they introduced a gay character during the middle of the gay marriage campaign. I always felt “Eureka” was the better show for having introduced a gay character from the beginning of the show when it was more controversial. I’ve always felt badly for the gay community as portrayed by Hollywood. Of course, I can’t imagine a time in history when Hollywood has been more disconnected with what it means to be ordinary.

Comment by Carolynp — May 1, 2013 @ 4:15 pm - May 1, 2013

14. Mixitup, I really hope most of the Bears said “Who?” and walked away.

Comment by Kakarot — May 1, 2013 @ 5:29 pm - May 1, 2013

15. Jason Collins is not worthy to hold Mark Bingham’s jock. Mark was a hero, Jason is not. Jason played 6 games out of 82 last season. He is 34 years old. He is grasping for one last chance for another team to pick him up (which they will). He won’t be chosen for his skills as a player, though, but because he came out of the closet, and no one wants to be accused in this day and age of being intolerant. Also of note, Jason misled a woman he was dating and engaged to for over 8 years. That is no hero in my book.

Comment by runningrn — May 1, 2013 @ 6:53 pm - May 1, 2013

16. no one wants to be accused in this day and age of being intolerant.

Collins is getting plenty of flack from those who disagree with his decision and who he is.

Jason misled a woman he was dating and engaged to for over 8 years.

So did Larry Craig. There’s no difference, except for that fact that he got married and had kids.

Comment by VS — May 2, 2013 @ 2:55 am - May 2, 2013

17. Wait a minute — he dragged out their dating and engagement for 8 years?

What was her first clue that there was something wrong with that picture? What sort of wimpy, spineless woman would put up with being strung along for nearly a decade?

I’m not suggesting it’s all her fault. But most of the women I’ve heard of who spent time in romantic relationships with gay men began to suspect, at some point, that SOMETHING wasn’t quite right.

In the years before I came out, I was engaged to three different men. All three of them figured out something about the situation wasn’t playing out according to Hoyle. I broke off each one, and did a big favor to each would-be husband. But I can’t imagine any of them sticking with it for 8 years without wondering what was up.

Comment by Lori Heine — May 2, 2013 @ 3:56 am - May 2, 2013

18. Jason misled a woman he was dating and engaged to for over 8 years.

So did Larry Craig.

Uh, what about Gov. James McGreevy (D-PA), Smegmasnatch? Or Gerry Studds (D-MA), who was a pederast?

Checkmate.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — May 2, 2013 @ 12:32 pm - May 2, 2013

19. And let’s not forget Kevin Clash (aka “Tickle Me Elmo”) and his, uh, proclivities:

How many people did Clash hurt, Smegmasnatch? Or – as you indicated in your earlier comments – since it involved children, it doesn’t matter to you based upon your orientation?

Match, set, game.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — May 2, 2013 @ 12:57 pm - May 2, 2013

20. McGreevy: Slimy opportunist who messed up his wife’s life. Also misused his authority to get his partner a position he was not qualified for.

Studds: Like Dan Crane, engaged in legal, consensual, yet inappropriate relationship with a subordinate.

Clash: Made choices similar to Studds/Crane outside his profession. Legal, consensual, yet inappropriate.

In all of this situations, we have men who made questionable choices in their life.

Running RN tried to make the point that he misled a woman for eight years about his sexuality. The truth is that he was, in part, sorting through who he was (as we all do). Collins, however, never chose to make a lifetime commitment to a woman and bring kids into the matter, Larry Craig and, as you point out, McGreevy.

Comment by VS — May 2, 2013 @ 2:27 pm - May 2, 2013

21. Strangely enough…

DC’s age of consent law might disagree with Vince. (shocking I know)
    22-3020. Aggravating circumstances.

(a) Any person who is found guilty of an offense under this subchapter may receive a penalty up to 1 1/2 times the maximum penalty prescribed for the particular offense, and may receive a sentence of more than 30 years up to, and including life imprisonment without possibility of release for first degree sexual abuse or first degree child sexual abuse, if any of the following aggravating circumstances exists:

(2) The victim was under the age of 18 years at the time of the offense and the actor had a significant relationship to the victim;

Is working for the guy ‘significant’?

Comment by The_Livewire — May 2, 2013 @ 3:19 pm - May 2, 2013

22. Is working for the guy ‘significant’?

It wasn’t in Monica Lewinsky’s case. Or, for that matter, in Mary Jo Kopechne’s either. But then again, she was never able to tell us for sure.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — May 2, 2013 @ 4:01 pm - May 2, 2013

23. The Daily Beast has retracted a column that claimed Jason Collins “didn’t come clean” about having been engaged to a woman in the essay Collins penned for Sports Illustrated. The Daily Beast post has been widely trumpeted on anti-gay and right wing sites. From the retraction notice:
    In that piece, Collins wrote, “When I was younger I dated women. I even got engaged. I thought I had to live a certain way. I thought I needed to marry a woman and raise kids with her. I kept telling myself the sky was red, but I always knew it was blue.” In his original blog post, [Howard] Kurtz incorrectly stated that Collins “didn’t come clean” about the engagement. In an amended version, Kurtz added that Collins “downplayed” the engagement and “didn’t dwell on it.” The Daily Beast sincerely regrets Kurtz’s error—and any implication that Collins attempted to hide or obscure the engagement.

Comment by rusty — May 2, 2013 @ 4:10 pm - May 2, 2013

24. Is working for the guy ‘significant’?

Yes. Thanks for pointing out that provision. What Studds/Crane did was illegal. Not sure how they got away with it.

Comment by VS — May 2, 2013 @ 4:50 pm - May 2, 2013

25. The engagement thing got that Kurtz guy rightfully fired, Rusty. After all, Collins did say he was engaged in the SI article. Now, him not telling his woman he liked d*ck? Well…
    But hey, he’s the new gay spokesperson, he’s the guy assigned to make ya look good, so I’ll just leave well enough alone.

Comment by Douglas — May 2, 2013 @ 8:10 pm - May 2, 2013

26. What Studds/Crane did was illegal. Not sure how they got away with it.

The same way Teddy Kennedy got away with murder, and Bill Clinton got away with rape. They have that magic (D) after their name.

Which, I suspect, is the main reason why you associate with that political party – to get off scot-free and not worry about the consequences.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — May 2, 2013 @ 10:26 pm - May 2, 2013

27. Crane had an (R) after his name, genius.

Comment by VS — May 3, 2013 @ 3:14 am - May 3, 2013

28. Crane had an (R) after his name, genius.

But of the two, which one is more recognizable among Americans? And why?

Methinks it would be Studds – simply because the MSM chose to make him a martyr for the GayLeftLib cause.

Ask anyone about Crane, and you get…well, you get the same look people give you when you spout off about things you know nothing about.

SNAP! You are dismissed.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — May 3, 2013 @ 9:55 am - May 3, 2013

29. But of the two, which one is more recognizable among Americans?

Ask most Americans and they couldn’t tell you who the f*ck either one of them are.

SNAP! You are dismissed.

Go back to your corner.

Comment by VS — May 3, 2013 @ 10:50 am - May 3, 2013

30. And with that comment, Smegmasnatch goes back into his mom’s basement and hopes that his Hot Pockets are ready for lunch.

Libtards are like children – better to be seen and not heard.

As a matter of fact, libtards are children – period. They want all of the perks but none of the responsibilities, and pout when the adults tell them how wrong they are.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — May 3, 2013 @ 11:24 am - May 3, 2013

31. Also, Cranes constituents dumped his asp. Stuffs was re-elected nine times, because Democrats are ok with pederasty. (What else can you conclude?)

Comment by V the K — May 3, 2013 @ 6:50 pm - May 3, 2013