Rhode Island recognizes gay marriages the right way

After several tries, the Ocean State will start recognizing same-sex marriages on August 1.   Both houses of the legislature voted in favor of such recognition and the elected governor signed the bill into law.

And this legislation, like that in New Hampshire, addresses the concerns of those who contend such recognition would force churches (and other religious institutions) to perform weddings at odd with their faith’s doctrine.  According to the Associated Press’s David Klepper:

The bill that passed the House stated that religious institutions may set their own rules regarding who is eligible to marry within the faith and specifies that no religious leader is obligated to officiate at any marriage ceremony. The Senate added language to ensure that groups like the Knights of Columbus aren’t legally obligated to provide facilities for same-sex weddings.

With such provisions, the Ocean State not only recognizes same-sex marriages, but also protects religious freedom.

Kudos.

FROM THE COMMENTS:  Jayne contends that “union of 2 males or 2 females is, biologically, historically and culturally so vastly different from the union between a male and female that to define it with the same term renders the definition meaningless.”

I would agree that same-sex unions are different from different-sex ones merely because of the differences between men and women, but is she right, are they “vastly different”? (Emphasis added.)

1. Okay, Jman, here’s the deal…

Libertarianism is a political philosophy. Religious beliefs are less-negotiable. I think treating other human beings as less than fully human is incompatible with Christian faith, and I will freely say so.

I also believe one can be pro hetero marriage and still believe the Church may bless same-sex unions. I find very insulting any insinuation that I — the product of a heterosexual marriage — must be anti-traditional marriage simply because I believe God calls upon His children to respect and honor my life-partnership as much as they did my parents’. That they may be different in some ways does not, according to my convictions, make them inferior.

I don’t believe the two need to be in competition with one another. God, I believe, is bigger than we are. These little quibbles are put upon some people by others, not upon God by us.

You will go right on believing whatever you want about my religious beliefs. That is your privilege. It is a matter of complete indifference to me, as it doesn’t change my convictions one iota.

Soc-cons expect us to simply sit there, with smiles on our faces, and be polite about it when they tell us God hates us and that we’re condemned to Hell. As I disagree with them, that makes no difference to me. I happen to believe they are in danger of damnation when they treat us cruelly and contemptuously. If they expect me to think it’s godly and kind for them to warn me they think I’m damned, I don’t think it’s too unsporting of me to expect they can be big enough to take what they dish out.

You’re a good egg. A confused one about some things, but all right nonetheless. I don’t know how to get emoticons to show up here, so I can’t do a smiley. 8) — I guess that’s it.

Comment by Lori Heine — May 5, 2013 @ 5:16 am - May 5, 2013

2. Correction: Should be “not by God upon us.” It is late, and old people have difficulty with tiny type.

Comment by Lori Heine — May 5, 2013 @ 5:17 am - May 5, 2013

3. Lori I will add one comment to your post at #51? …….. Amen.

Comment by SC.Swampfox — May 5, 2013 @ 10:02 am - May 5, 2013

4. Same-sex marriage couples selfishly demand “Marriage Equality”, yet, in return, they offer LESS-THAN-EQUAL protection of the child’s happiness than can be afforded through the presence of both biological parents. In the name of “Marriage Equality”, same-sex marriage leaves the child fully aware that his family is, in all truth, not at all “equal”, natural, nor complete. The use of the term “Marriage Equality” by same-sex marriage proponents selfishly ignores the child’s perspective of “equality”.

Comment by Jean-Jacques Burlamaqui — May 5, 2013 @ 10:23 am - May 5, 2013

5. Good morning, Lori.

You asked this question earlier (@ #43):

And the remedy is…what? To deny religious liberty to those who interpret Scripture differently?

And you followed with your answer:

The only remedy is religious freedom for ALL.

And then you said:

There is no way to parcel it out, doling it generously to some and withholding it from others. That’s how we got into this mess in the first place.

What this condenses to is:

1. You claim that EVERYONE should have religious freedom.
    2. You deny the integrity of those whose practice of that same religious freedom leads them to different conclusions than yours on the subject of ‘gay marriage’.

You defend this by saying:

“…less-negotiable”.
    Isn’t that convenient?
    I guess this means that its “TOTAL religious freedom for some (the ones who agree with YOUR interpretations of Scripture); FEWER religious freedoms for others (all those who don’t agree with any number of your interpretations of Scripture)”.
    That’s a handy little belief. Yessiree!

If this is the case (and it certainly has all the earmarks), then it is your views which are clanging against each other.

You can’t proclaim “religious freedom FOR ALL” on one hand, and then summarily deny it on the other when those of other faiths come to different conclusions based on different interpretations of Scripture, which “religious freedom FOR ALL” must certainly make allowances for.

That’s a contradiction; you’ve contradicted yourself.

Ahhh, intellectual freedom!
    I had no doubt that you championed this concept, just as I do. Your beliefs in individual liberty, personal freedom and freedom of worship would be in question if you didn’t.

Couple things here:

1. Unlucky for you that EVERY ‘soc-con’ you’ve encountered has done this. But I’ll say this categorically: most people of faith who see homosexuality as a sin DO NOT invoke the “God hates fags” meme. I’ve met (and still know) quite a few myself and not one of them has ever uncorked the slogan of the Westboro Baptist Church (real repugnant a-holes, IMO) when discussing gay people or ‘gay marriage’. Not a single one of them. Not once, not ever.

2. The fact that you admit that they’re polite means that there must be a possibility that they aren’t, in fact, ‘anti-gay (people)’, which possibility you steadfastly deny.

I think you’re smearing good and decent people….again.

You’re a good egg.

Thank you!
    So are you. 🙂

A confused one about some things……

I’ll borrow from you for my response:

If (some of) these assertions my positions are, indeed, so “erroneous,” “confused”, you have done absolutely zero to show how or why.

To be clear, I had a chuckle when I read this. Not being a ‘fee-wings’ person, I don’t see it as an insult.

The occasional confusion comes from you, Lori.

I’m not the one trumpeting religious freedom and then summarily revoking it because other folks (good and honest ones) don’t come to roost on the same branch of the tree that I’m nesting in.
    To assert otherwise, which you done repeatedly, is self-contradictory and not a little bit hypocritical.

Sorry, Lori, but when it comes to ‘gay marriage’, you sound much less a libertarian and a lot more ‘gay left’.
    Or do all libertarians who believe in ‘gay marriage’ call those who don’t believe in it ‘anti-gay’ (read: bigoted, hateful, evil, etc.)?
    The only ones I hear (or read) doing that are on the left.

Thanks for your response.
    Hope you slept well.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 5, 2013 @ 11:02 am - May 5, 2013

6. Jman, props for the effort. I don’t think it will do much good. I am told LH isn’t quite so shrill in real life, but in this forum, she comes across, unfortunately, as quite shrill and intolerant of other people’s opinions.

I mean, seriously, me? A statist? ROFL.

Comment by V the K — May 5, 2013 @ 11:50 am - May 5, 2013

7. Shrill and intolerant? You believe what you believe.

The exact, accurate theological implications of what those who put our deepest and most profound relationships in scare quotes — and even congratulate themselves as saints for condemning them — believe is that they think we’re so abhorrent to God that even loving us is sinful.

This is not a religious blog, it is a political blog. If politics ain’t beanbag, religion is something more serious still. One of the byproducts of the statist compulsion to politicize absolutely every area of human life — leaving nothing sacred, not even religion — is that people like JMan and V the K drag people’s theology into the mix. When the result of that is just what any reasonable person would expect it to be, they scream foul.

Religious tolerance means being content to coexist, in a free society, with people whose religious beliefs differ from your own. I do not advocate any civil or criminal punishments for those with whom I disagree. I simply disagree with them — as I have every right to do.

JMan and V the K believe I must do more than that. That I am somehow obligated to change my religious beliefs so as not to offend them. And they have such a warped view of freedom that they actually believe “religious tolerance” demands it.

Expressing religious beliefs in a political forum does have consequences. Our soc-cons come here day after day, week after week, and blithely blast their mouths off about how abhorrent God must find us (again, the unmistakable implication, theologically, of all the scare-quotes about gay relationships). Never once have I suggested that “religious tolerance” means they must stop saying such things.

Either we’re going to discuss religion and theology on this blog, or it is indeed a political blog and we are not. No one needs temper or censor their religious views to suit the demands of others. I don’t, any more than anyone else does.

Religious freedom includes the freedom to criticize beliefs one finds reprehensible and disgusting, or it means nothing at all. Put on the big-boy pants and deal with it. When you started commenting on people’s profoundest beliefs — and especially when you started tossing scare-quotes around — you went there.

So did I. Which makes me — boo hoo! — shrill and intolerant.

Nonsense.

Comment by Lori Heine — May 5, 2013 @ 12:08 pm - May 5, 2013

8. Jman, props for the effort.

Thank you, V the K.
    That’s nice of you to say, and I’m flattered. 🙂

I don’t think it will do much good.

Maybe so.
    But it’s been, for the most part, polite.

Hey, V! Shuffle up to the bar and I’ll buy you a drink.
    You know, we 80 year old trailer park dwellers shouldn’t get drunk by ourselves! 😉

Comment by Jman1961 — May 5, 2013 @ 12:08 pm - May 5, 2013

9. Yes, J & V. You have discovered that other people besides soc-cons actually take their religious beliefs seriously. And that we hold beliefs on profound subjects as deeply and uncompromisingly as they do.

You also discover that as it is impossible to express deep theological beliefs on a political forum and not encounter others who disagree with you, that means people like me will be rude — rude! — by ruffling feathers.

Evidently you think only soc-cons have the right to express their beliefs here. Others, who have consistently sat by and said nothing while they did this — always conceding them the right to say whatever they choose on the subject — are “intolerant” when they make the mistake of thinking the commenters here truly do believe in quaint old notions like religious tolerance and freedom of speech.

So by all means, go get drunk. If I believed that only some people deserved freedom and others didn’t, I would, too.

Comment by Lori Heine — May 5, 2013 @ 12:29 pm - May 5, 2013

10. …is that people like JMan and V the K drag people’s theology into the mix.

I only said that marriage should be left to the churches.
    YOU were the one who started the characterizations, no, SMEARS against religious people who disagree with you.

Verdict: you’re full of sh*t.

Yeah you have that right, and you also have the right to SMEAR those people as hateful, bigoted, intolerant and evil because they disagree with you.
    And you also have the right to get pissy and defensive when I call you on it, using YOUR OWN WORDS to point it out.

Verdict: you’re full of sh*t.

Get this through your head, Lori:

I have not said what you claimed (above) ANYWHERE, at ANYTIME.
    And if you still insist I have, then I call on YOU to find those words and POST them so that EVERYONE can read them and verify the veracity of your claim.
    My advice: don’t waste your time.

Verdict: you’re full of sh*t and that’s a despicable lie.

Not scare quotes….ridicule quotes:

If my Dad had tits he’d be my Mom..
    But he DOESN’T…..
    So he ISN’T.

If that gay ‘married’ couple had one less guy and one more woman in it, it’d be a MARRIAGE….
    But it DOESN’T….
    So it ISN’T.

No rancor or hate directed at the two individuals making up the couple. Just pointing out that it ain’t a MARRIAGE’.
    And I’ve NEVER said that “God hates ANYONE”.
    Yet you keep repeating this cheap SMEAR.

Verdict: you’re full of sh*t AND a despicable liar.

You mean the way YOU show how much YOU respect the right of others to criticize YOUR beliefs?

Put on the big-boy pants and deal with it.

My big-boy pants have been on since well before my first encounter with you.
    How’s about you put on your ‘big-girl dress’ for once (or is that a sexist suggestion?).
    If so, then put on your ‘big-girl’ bib overalls (farmer jeans).
    Is that better?

Of course, because you haven’t uttered a peep about other people’s profoundest beliefs, except to SMEAR them as being ‘anti-gay’.

What chafes your ass is that I’ve taken your arguments and proclamations and pronouncements apart, and you can’t answer for your contradictions, nor your hypocrisy, so you start your lying and bomb throwing.
    You’re guilty of the VERY SAME THING that I’ve seen you, time and again, accuse V the K of doing: not answering questions and not accounting for the obvious inconsistencies of YOUR positions.
    Good show, Ms. Libertarian Truth.
    I’m impressed.

You’ve also shown that you’re not really as TOUGH as you like to claim that you are.
    Drop the ‘butch d*ke’ routine, and show us how tough you REALLY are: answer the questions DIRECTLY…explain the contradictions.

And if you don’t, then drop the ‘rhetorical boxer’ shtick and know THIS:

I’ve logically and soundly whipped your ass and you’re on the canvas for a ten count.
    You’d better hurry up: the ref’s at eight, and you’re about to be counted out.

And V the K is absolutely right, you ARE shrill and intolerant.

Check yourself, oh Grand High Priestess of Anglo-Catholic/ Episcopalian and Libertarian Universal Truth and Wisdom.

Verdict on All Counts: You’re Full of Sh*t.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 5, 2013 @ 12:57 pm - May 5, 2013

11. Of course, JMan, you do not realize what you’ve just done. You vehemently denied what I asserted — then went right on to prove me right.

You evidently view religious beliefs as so unserious, so trivial, that you don’t understand other people may deeply hold them. Therefore, you clutter up your comment with nasty cracks about bib overalls. I’m surprised you didn’t do what so many soc-cons do, and drag our private parts into it. Though you’ll probably get around to doing that, too.

It may surprise you to learn that some people actually hold serious religious views. That tolerance of others’ views demands not that we give up or compromise our own views, but that when we sit here, day in and day out, reading views we find abhorrent, revolting, even blasphemous, and say nothing about them (except to — gasp! — imply that they might be anti-gay), we ARE expressing tolerance.

Tolerance does not mean holding no views. Nor does it mean agreeing with other views. You are getting a glimpse, here, into what it really means.

It is not a contradiction that I hold beliefs that differ from those of people who think our deepest relationships are such a joke they merit only scare quotes. Deal with it.

Nice to know that my relationship with God can be dismissed so blithely. What you’ve really revealed about yourself is that you respect neither other human beings nor God.

It will evidently come as a surprise to you to learn that many libertarian and — yes — even politically-conservative gay and lesbian people are people of deep religious faith. That they probably find a lot of what is said here about them hurtful, even sickening. That many don’t even comment here because they know people like you would jump all over them and crap on them for daring to express their beliefs.

They may have risked their relationships, even gone through rocky times with their families, to come out and live honestly as who they are. They may have left their churches and found others. They may have lost friends to suicide. Nice to know they’d better shut up and let the soc-cons be the only ones who can indulge in religious freedom.

Conservative gays are actually more likely to find many of the things said here offensive than are the dastardly, secular liberal gays you ignorantly dismiss anyone you disagree with as being.

Verdict on all counts: you have no respect for anyone’s faith. Not even that of the people you think you’re defending.

Comment by Lori Heine — May 5, 2013 @ 1:20 pm - May 5, 2013

12. You evidently view religious beliefs as so unserious, so trivial, that you don’t understand other people may deeply hold them.

You’re LYING.
    I’ve stated the opposite….several times.
    Where’s your PROOF?

You’re LYING.
    I’ve stated the opposite….several times.
    Where’s your PROOF?

I know what it means.
    Maybe YOU need a refresher on it.

Can you fu**ing READ?
    I don’t think it’s a ‘joke’.
    I don’t BELIEVE that it’s marriage, and I won’t call it one.
    That’s OK with you, as your own words attest (@ #43):

Nobody cares what you call other people’s marriages

It sure sounds like you care.
    So it’s another contradiction, Lori.
    Do you care or not?
    Which one is the LIE?
    You’d better ‘deal with it’, tough monkey.

Nice to know that my relationship with God can be dismissed so blithely.

You’re LYING.
    I’ve never dismissed your (nor anyone else’s) relationship with God.
    Where’s your PROOF?

I honor your relationship with God.
    It’s YOU that ‘blithely dismisses’ other’s relationships with God because they believe that God, as they understand Him, does NOT approve of ‘gay marriage’ and they won’t kiss your ass and concede that point.

The only thing that has surprised me here is how long you’ve successfully conned others into believing that you’re a sober libertarian when, in reality, you’re a shrieking leftist bull d*ke.

Now, don’t get in a snit and be all hurt and insulted, Lori. This is the equivalent of your tossing “…eighty-year-old drunks in some trailer park someplace.” at me and V the K.
    “If you can’t stand the heat…….”
    Or, as you constantly put it: Deal with it!
    You can handle it, can’t you, Tough Guy?

You’re LYING.
    I’ve stated the opposite….several times.
    Where’s your PROOF?

Verdict on all counts: YOU have no respect for anyone’s faith, unless it agrees with YOURS on this subject, a subject over which you clearly get extremely exercised.

It’s pathetic that you have so little self regard that you need everyone else to pat you on the back, kiss your ass and tell you how wonderful you and your partner are (and how marvelous your mutual relationship is), or you start up the SMEARS (‘anti-gay’) and the LIES (which I’ve fully cited, and which YOU have not offered ONE SINGLE SHRED of evidence for).

Looks like you’re the one who needs to get bombed.
    To paraphrase you, yet again:

So by all means, go get drunk. If I believed that only some people deserved (the) freedom to state their position on ‘gay marriage’ (when they were foursquare behind it) and others didn’t (when they didn’t support ‘gay marriage’), I would, too.

As an early response to the fact-starved, contradictory and LIE-strewn horsesh*t that you will, no doubt, post in response to this (where I’ve taken you apart for the UMPTEENTH time in this thread), but where you will NOT provide ANY proof of your charges, nor defenses of your SMEARS:

You’re dishonest.
    You’re a child (who WILL NOT concede that others, IN GOOD FAITH, can have views at odds with yours regarding ‘gay marriage’).
    You’re a leftist masquerading as a libertarian (more dishonesty).
    You’re a religious BIGOT masquerading as a Christian (thus the blanket condemnations for those who disagree with you).

So fire away, love.
    I’m not wasting any more time on you.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 5, 2013 @ 2:14 pm - May 5, 2013

13. And it doesn’t matter anyway, Lori.
    The referee reached ’10’.

You’ve been counted out.

You may remain in the ring and throw punches at your shadow, however.
    Whatever turns you on, kid.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 5, 2013 @ 2:19 pm - May 5, 2013

14. Throbert disagrees with me on ghey marriage and thinks my religion is a joke; but he is never shrill and only occasionally has been a dick about it.

Comment by V the K — May 5, 2013 @ 2:41 pm - May 5, 2013

15. JMan, now that your infantile and profanity-laced tirade is over, I will say something more.

You amply demonstrate that you do not know the difference between differing with someone else’s views — strongly — and trying to stop them from expressing them. I have not lied in pointing this out, I have merely said things you don’t like.

Once we get into religion on this blog, we have moved into a realm some people consider sacred. And some of us do hold strong views about the subject. Some people believe, for example, that gay marriage is blasphemy. Others — like myself — believe that using scare-quotes around the term blasphemes against God.

You still think it’s all a big game, and a big joke. That it’s about bib overalls and crude sexual caricatures and profanity. I do not, and you don’t know how to handle that.

My point, throughout this thread, has been that there are churches — and Christian believers — on BOTH sides of the gay marriage and gay-rights divide. And that their beliefs are serious matters to them. This was why, if you’ll take a deep breath and go back and read the thread again, you’ll recall I said that if anti-gay churches had the honesty to acknowledge that churches exist that disagree with them on gay issues, it would actually help them fight those who’d sue them for not performing same-sex marriages.

What I’ve been trying to get at is that churches should hash this out between themselves, without the government getting involved. There is nothing non-libertarian about that opinion; it is libertarian to its very core.

What that does NOT mean is that (A) BOTH sides — not just the one opposed to treating gays as fully human — hold equally strong views about this subject, and that (B) they do so for profoundly religious reasons. It is not a game, or a joke, to either side, and should not be treated as one.

This has nothing to do with dragging in government, or the courts, to stop the other side from expressing its views. You keep trying to imply that I am somehow opposed to the freedom of speech of those who disagree with me, but you will find nothing I’ve said here that even implies that.

You are, again, assuming that if I disagree with other Christians on religious grounds, I must be demanding that somebody shut them up. I have, as a matter of fact, done no such thing. I believe in countering them on their own turf. Which — as a fellow Christian — I have every right to do.

If you insist on going on being hysterical, go to it. Your own words bear testimony against you. I shake the dust from my feet.

Comment by Lori Heine — May 5, 2013 @ 4:07 pm - May 5, 2013

16. […] Sabbath day, another brouhaha over at Gay Patriot. This time, I have done the unthinkable: I have candidly stated that there are Christians who are […]

Pingback by Social Conservatism — No Opposition Allowed! | Born on 9-11 — May 5, 2013 @ 4:36 pm - May 5, 2013

17. You don’t even show respect for the faith of people who disapprove of gays. You show no respect for anything, except saving your pathetic face and “winning the game.”

And naturally, you DO respect all faiths, except for…….the ones that refuse to sanctify your ‘gay marriage’.
    Quelle Horreur!!
    Check the nearest mirror, Lying Lori.
    To be sure, you’ve just described yourself.
    Congratulations!

BOTH sides — not just the one opposed to treating gays as fully human

Ha ha ha!’
    And you did it again!

Some one who approves of ‘gay marriage’ is on the side of the angels; someone who isn’t is treating gays no better than if they were…….what? Dogs?

Wrrrong again, Joan of Arc.

I don’t ‘imply’ anything; if I care to say it, I’ll say it directly.
    Feel free to say anything you like.
    Stop getting your knickers in a twist when it’s thrown back at you.
    Deal with it, as you’re so fond of saying.

But no direct quote from anything I’ve written that suggests this.
    Isn’t that strange since I’ve provided so many examples that there exists a gold mine (so you say), in this thread alone, but NOT ONE nugget picked up and put on display by you.
    How strange.
    Another lie repeated for the Nth time, but not ONE citation of MY WORDS to back it up.

Horsesh*t.

What you’ve been saying all along but don’t have the balls (that’s true; females wouldn’t, would they?) to own up to is this:

“Tell I’m great and good BECAUSE I’m a lesbian. Say that your god blesses my same sex union, all the while telling me what a wonderful ‘marriage’ it is, and just as good and holy and valuable to the society as a REAL marriage between ONE MAN and ONE WOMAN, or I’ll have a fit and call you names (see SEVERAL places above) and say that you’re bigoted, hateful, evil, and that you treat me with no more (less, perhaps?) dignity than you do a stray cat!”

And YOU call ME ‘hysterical’.
    Too *(&^) funny!! 😉

I believe in countering them…… Which — as a fellow Christian — I have every right to do.

All fine by me.
    ‘Counter’ all you want, although your habit of doing it WITHOUT ANY citations of other’s actual words (which gives you just the cover you’re looking for and exactly the ‘opponent’ that you’re up to the challenge of: Mr. Straw Man) I find repugnant.

And I like your “Hey, come and look at what I did, Scooter!” pingback from your own blog, where I see there are two new items posted regarding your imaginary Sunday ‘victory’ over the ‘Evil So-Con Forces’.
    How much more childish and self referential can a poor ‘gay marriage’ supporter get?
    I’m bettin’ that you can sink even deeper than that, dear.
    But first, check the pedigree of the person who wrote those glowing reviews; her integrity is in question.
    In fact, the mote in HER eye (which she’s happy to let stand) could be used to build the biggest log cabin in the world.

How’s that for a biblical reference, Lori?
    Ya like that one?

Oh, one last thing (for now), Lori Heine: when are you going to start offering solid supporting evidence of your claims, in this thread and elsewhere, re: other people here at GP?
    You know, by actually citing the words they’ve written so as to clearly and convincingly back up your stated claims?
    Because the next time you do it will be the very first time you’ve ever done it .
    We’re still waiting……………..

‘We who don’t agree with you’ have just as compelling a right to state our cases (which, unlike you, WE back up and don’t merely assert) as YOU do, and if all this chafes your bum, causes you consternation, gets you hot under your well starched (preacher’s) collar, or otherwise finds you with a permanent hair across your ass, I have only these suggestions:

1. TFB
    2. Deal with it. Hmmm, where have I read that one before? 😉

Your turn again, Ste. Heine.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 5, 2013 @ 6:53 pm - May 5, 2013

18. A request of the administrators of this fine blog:

Please hold open some space below this so that Ste. Heine of Righteousness (alias ‘The Gay Leftist in Libertarian Drag’) can spew forth on another one of her now hilarious (though scurrilous) rants.

We don’t want to be accused of trying to “shut her up”.
    Oh, no, not that!

Thank you in advance for your kind consideration.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 5, 2013 @ 7:15 pm - May 5, 2013

19. Deal with it. Hmmm, where have I read that one before?

Hey, I resemble that remark!

(Sorry, couldn’t resist.) 🙂

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — May 5, 2013 @ 8:12 pm - May 5, 2013

20. Peter:

She likes to use it when she has her ‘butch’ up.
    But she never adheres to it; she just likes to sling it at others.
    You know, to sound ‘tough’.

I have to admit that, here at GP, you were the first person I read who used it regularly.
    “Credit where credit is due”….and all that.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 5, 2013 @ 8:18 pm - May 5, 2013

21. JMan, I need to wait ’til your latest torrent of keyboard diarrhea is over before I can respond. I no longer even bother to read it, so unless you really are simply showboating for the peanut gallery you’re sure are going to agree with you, you might as well not bother.

For more rational minds, who do not make the mistake of believing one cannot respect a person’s religious beliefs (i.e., presumably, their right to express them without censorship), I will make another attempt at reason.

Gays who try to crash churches hostile to gay marriage, and to force their ceremonies to be performed there, are not gay Christians. How do we know this? Because if they were, they’d be getting hitched at their own church.

What are they, then, doing? They are trying to make trouble, so they can sue. Sort of like those parents who stick their little kids’ legs out into traffic so they’ll be run over and bring on a lawsuit.

Why are so many able to be gulled by the gays who pull their trick on churches that won’t hitch them? Because of the general level of public ignorance about the very existence of gay Christians.

If churches that don’t want to perform same-sex ceremonies were more honest about admitting that there are gay Christians — must be, because there are churches that will perform those ceremonies — then the level of public awareness would rise. Thus making it less likely that hucksters could get away with suing these churches.

I’m sure this will only trigger another bout of hysteria about bib overalls, butchness, feverishly lurid sex or who-knows-what-else. It’s immensely entertaining. All it’s accomplishing is that I now think JMan is a colossal horse’s a$$. He isn’t going to stop until he’s convinced everybody else of that, too.

Comment by Lori Heine — May 5, 2013 @ 10:00 pm - May 5, 2013

22. #71 — Should be “do not make the mistake of believing one cannot respect a person’s religious beliefs (incl. parenthesized remark) without having to agree with every detail of those beliefs.”

Comment by Lori Heine — May 5, 2013 @ 10:04 pm - May 5, 2013

23. Incidentally, Jboy, why all the fear-fantasies about toughness and butch? Are you really that afraid somebody won’t think you’re tough?

If you’re that nelly, I can do nothing about that. Calling in a woman to help you doesn’t make you look too macho.

I am thoroughly enjoying this. It is most amusing. Pray continue.

Comment by Lori Heine — May 5, 2013 @ 10:07 pm - May 5, 2013

24. …so unless you really are simply showboating for the peanut gallery you’re sure are going to agree with you…

That’s a kneeslapper, from the same insecure child that shot the pingback’ to this thread, from HER OWN BLOG, because she’s grandstanding for her 6 faithful readers.

That ‘bib overall’ thing really put a bug up your ass, didn’t it? Why is that? It’s the third time that you’ve mentioned it; I only said it once.
    Hmmm, let me take a stab at it: I figured you correctly, you wear them all the time, and this has caused your fragile ego to fracture even further, because you have some idea that you’re inscrutable.

“…feverishly lurid sex…”
    Never mentioned it. Why is it on YOUR mind?

Never accused you of attempting censorship; simply pointed out your cheap SMEARS against other people who don’t agree with you.
    You know, things like “80 year old drunks…“, “anti-gay” and “…the one(s) opposed to treating gays as fully human.” Because these, and other bombs that you’ve thrown around here, they just show how sweet, understanding, compassionate and religiously tolerant you really are.
    Who knew?

I no longer even bother to read it

This could be a lie (you’ve revealed yourself to be an habitual one), or, like any good leftist, it could mean that you DO read my posts, but if they don’t say what you want them to you’ll pretend the passages that you don’t like aren’t even there, ir you’ll LIE and say that I wrote something that you, for some strange reason, can’t cite so everyone else can see it.

All it’s you’re accomplishing is that I now think JMan know Lori Heine is a colossal horse’s a$$poseur and prevaricator. (S)He isn’t going to stop until (s)he’s convinced everybody else of that, too.

Cleaned it up a bit, Ms. Heine.
    Now it ‘reads’ correctly.

And, once again, the issue you refuse to deal with directly:

When are you going to start offering solid supporting evidence of your claims, in this thread and elsewhere, re: other people here at GP?
    Because the next time you do it will be the very first time you’ve ever done it.
    We’re still waiting……………..

Comment by Jman1961 — May 5, 2013 @ 10:45 pm - May 5, 2013

25. why all the fear-fantasies about toughness and butch?

No fear here, dear.

Just pointing out that no matter how big of a bull d*ke you are (my guess is you’ve munched a lot of carpet in your time), don’t ever make the mistake of thinking that it makes YOU a man (doubtless something that you’ve pined for all your life, and the role you’ve assumed with your ‘conga line’ of partners).

Remember that old one that I harkened to earlier?

If Lori Heine had a d**k, she’d be a MAN….
    But she DOESN’T……
    So she ISN’T.

Sorry to spoil your fantasy.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 5, 2013 @ 10:53 pm - May 5, 2013

26. #75 Nice Jman, really showing your compassion and intellect. nice

Comment by rusty — May 5, 2013 @ 11:37 pm - May 5, 2013

27. Get lost, Rusty (aka Ms. Cut and Paste)

If I want any sh*t from you I’ll squeeze your head.

You can go back to watching RuPaul’s Drag Queen Extravaganza, or whatever the hell that trash is called.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 5, 2013 @ 11:41 pm - May 5, 2013

28. Smooches Jman

Comment by rusty — May 5, 2013 @ 11:55 pm - May 5, 2013

29. Rusty, I don’t see why you waste your time with Jboy.

At this point, I simply skim over his rantings. I am talking past him. Those who will hear, will hear. Those who won’t, won’t. Which works out fine both ways.

The neat little racket the secular Left and social Right have worked out does however, show up clearly in the dynamic I have pointed out. Both actually depend upon the same meme: that “there are no gay Christians, so gays must sue churches to get them to perform same-sex ceremonies.”

That works out very well for both of them. Far from sincerely being rivals, they are partners in the scam.

And insecure little dupes like Jboy eat it up. When they hear an unfamiliar way of looking at the matter, they leap into flying-monkey mode and pelt the person airing the idea with poop.

I find it especially amusing that Jboy keeps trying to say I want gay marriage, when I said, earlier in this thread, that I approved of the fact that the Episcopal Church does not call its same-sex blessings marriages because I, too, question whether they are exactly the same as heterosexual marriages.

That was certainly, and very conveniently, forgotten quickly enough.

Flying monkeys don’t comprehend things very well. Too busy screeching and pelting.

Comment by Lori Heine — May 6, 2013 @ 12:48 am - May 6, 2013

30. Lori, you lying bull d*ke:

We’re still waiting……………..

But you just keep on posting your little delusional rants.
    I’ll be right here to greet you.

And if you’re down to having Rusty as one of your allies….you’re screwed.

Goodnight, BD.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 6, 2013 @ 1:48 am - May 6, 2013

31. “We’re” still waiting?

This must be the royal we, I presume. You are indeed, Jboy, turning out to be a nasty, pissy little queen.

If I cared, I might try to recall exactly what flew into your bonnet in the first place to get you like that, but I don’t particularly care. So I won’t bother.

There’s no logic to your screeching. Just an irritating drone that loops around and around and around. You can’t argue the issue, and made a total fool of yourself getting hysterical about it, so now you want to keep it going.

Come back when you’ve got something substantive to say. I don’t expect that will be soon.

Comment by Lori Heine — May 6, 2013 @ 2:37 am - May 6, 2013

32. Still doing your imitation of the ‘chattering teeth’, you lying bull d*ke?

We’re still waiting……………..

Keep comin’ back, carpet muncher.
    You’re a riot. 🙂

Comment by Jman1961 — May 6, 2013 @ 3:17 am - May 6, 2013

33. BTW, the comment I made on the Savage antics applies in this situation as well. Just saying.

Comment by Douglas — May 6, 2013 @ 1:53 pm - May 6, 2013

34. I just noticed the “1961” by this freak’s little nickname. I’m hoping that’s not his birth year. This clown is 52 years old?

I was under the impression he was maybe 15 or 16. To find out he’s some sort of stunted adult makes perhaps a bit more sense. GP should raise the age limit for commenters, and the problem would be solved.

But they won’t, so we’ll get more smiley-faces, and ignorant sexual crassness, and the rest of it. Not surprising, as there is virtually never any housekeeping anymore on this blog.

I’m done with the thread. You’ll probably see fifteen more posts from this boy, or girl, or whatever the hell it is who keeps commenting here. It won’t go away. I will turn to threads where actual ideas are being discussed, by actual adults.

One more word about this thing who keeps posting here. (Who knows its age? Who can tell its gender? Given its fascination with lesbian sexual practices, who the hell knows anything about it?) It shows what happens to minds spellbound by social conservatism.

Ugh. Who needs PR when you’ve got…that?

Comment by Lori Heine — May 6, 2013 @ 1:58 pm - May 6, 2013

35. Not surprising, as there is virtually never any housekeeping anymore on this blog.

If there were (housekeeping) you’d be in the first wave of leftists to be kicked off the premises, you wretched shrieking harpy.

If you really want a sterile blog, stay with your own. You know, the one that has one or two visitors every week to 10 days. That’s gotta help keep it ‘clean’.

I’m done with the thread.

You were ‘done’ in this thread around the time you posted your third or fourth comment in it, Chopper.

Yup, and when you get there, the adult quotient will drop accordingly.
    Thanks for warning us, though.
    We’ll keep an eye out for your future infestations.

Ugh. Who needs PR the usual leftists when you’ve we’ve got…Ste. Bulld*ke of Righteousness (alias ‘The Gay Leftist in Libertarian Drag’)?

There. That’s better.

Off your meds yet again, you lying bull d*ke?

We’re still waiting……………..

Keep comin’ back, Ste. Butchy of the Bib Overalls.
    You’re a caricature of….yourself. 🙂

Comment by Jman1961 — May 6, 2013 @ 2:45 pm - May 6, 2013

36. J-thing, you’re an old man (or an old whatever you are). Evidently you’re unaware of a nifty little feature called “Stats,” which measures activity on a blog. Comments alone tell little about how many people read someone’s blog.

That, and the fact that I do keep house on my blog, and do not permit feral children to come in and defecate all over the place.

The buzz about GP, elsewhere in the blogosphere, is “What the hell has happened to this blog? Why all the whackos?” Sane people persist in trying to comment here, but they’re getting frustrated.

But someone like J-thing definitely demonstrates the direction big-government statism is headed. This is it, folks…this is your future. Your reactionary politics attract people like this.

Enjoy.

Comment by Lori Heine — May 6, 2013 @ 2:57 pm - May 6, 2013

37. Not surprising, as there is virtually never any housekeeping anymore on this blog.

Translation:

Waaaahhhh! I wanna blog where I get MY free speech, but any hateyhatinghater that disagrees or challenges me in any way should get kicked out! Waaaaahhhhh!

This from the big (I’ll bet!) pseudo-libertarian supporter of “free speech for everyone”………..NOT!

Comment by Jman1961 — May 6, 2013 @ 3:01 pm - May 6, 2013

38. …..reactionary politics attract people like this.

You mean, ‘reactionary politics’ like these:

“The most effective argument for libertarian truth is simply to wind up the “conservative” commenters here and let ‘em go.”

“You guys sound like eighty-year-old drunks in some trailer park someplace.”

“And I stand by my use of the term “anti-gay” churches” (where Ste. Fat Ass defends her slander of people of other faiths who won’t kiss her derriere on the ‘gay marriage’ issue)

“Soc-cons expect us to simply sit there, with smiles on our faces, and be polite about it when they tell us God hates us and that we’re condemned to Hell.” (where the sainted Lori again slanders everyone on the other side of the political divide because someone (sniff!) hurt her widdle fee-wings at some point in her sorry life)

but then, when she has her ‘butch’ up again:

“that means people like me will be rude — rude! — by ruffling feathers.” (See? OK when she does it; a ‘high crime’ when she gets some of it thrown back at her)

Poor Lori: so put upon, so denigrated, so insulted, so oppressed and treated as something ‘less than human’.

Boo frickin hoo!

Stop dishing it out if you can take it, Tough Guy.

Oh, and one more thing:

We’re still waiting……………..

Keep comin’ back, Ste. Butchy of the Bib Overalls.
    You’re a sad and sorry joke.

Comment by Jman1961 — May 6, 2013 @ 3:19 pm - May 6, 2013

39. I’m done with the thread.

Comment by Lori Heine The Thing That Wouldn’t Leave — May 6, 2013 @ 1:58 pm

Whatsamatta, Lori?
    You’re really desperate to get the last word, aren’t you?
    Oh, you poor, frail thing.
    Have I “ruffled your feathers”?

Tough!