Archives for May 23, 2013
That old corny 80s PSA* came to mind today as I noticed that one of the two gentlemen
Tim Gill my state sent to the Senate is suddenly in high dudgeon over the IRS criminal activity scandal that everybody seems to be recognizing as exactly what happens when too much authority is given to the Leviathan state find so fascinating these days.
Among Senator Bennet’s questions: “I don’t know how we get to the bottom of it, but I think somebody needs to be able to answer that. It doesn’t seem like it’s asking too much.” The “that” he’s referring to is who directed the illegal and unconstitutional decision to target Tea Party and other conservative groups for extra scrutiny.
Here’s a hint: It was you, Senator.
Perhaps he doesn’t recall, but Senator Bennet was one of seven luminaries who signed a letter to then-commissioner of the IRS Douglas Shulman in February last year demanding higher scrutiny of 501(c)(4) organizations.
Oh, but he didn’t stop there. While dislocating his arm patting himself on the back, Senator Bennet made perfectly clear just which sort of 501(c)(4) organizations had his hackles up. From the press release posted back then on his official Senate (yes, the one we as federal taxpayers fund) website:
For instance, long-time partisan operative Karl Rove is a senior official behind a 501(c)(4) “social welfare” charity, yet it’s common knowledge that his organization exists to elect and defeat specific political candidates. Elections operations such as Mr. Rove’s should not be allowed to masquerade as charities to take advantage of their tax exempt status and hide their donors from the public. It’s the IRS’s job to enforce the tax code and make sure that “social welfare” organizations are what they say they are.
Funny he couldn’t think of any leftist, statist 501(c)(4) organizations. Considering the circles in which he travels (he’s now the DSCC chairman), that seems pretty unlikely. That he chose Karl Rove to target isn’t surprising whatsoever. That he is now feigning offense that the IRS followed his lead and did his bidding is also not surprising (he’s a politician, after all).
What would be much more sad than surprising would be if he gets away with it. I suppose that’s up to my fellow Coloradans.
*Perhaps someone who’s much more savvy with video/etc. than I am can reshoot this with the tagline changed from “Parents who use drugs have children who use drugs.” to something like “Senators who direct Federal employees to use their authority to target their political opponents have Federal employees who use their authority to target their political opponents.”
-Nick (ColoradoPatriot, from HHQ)
Those who have read my posts and considered my basic political philosophy can probably figure out my views on whether or not the Boy Scouts should admit openly gay youths — and scoutmasters.
As a private organization, they have the right to determine the qualifications for membership and leadership. The state should stay out of it. That said, I believe they should allow gay people to participate.
Now, to be sure, given the scandals in the Catholic Church (where most of the victims have been teenage boys), I can understand why they might be wary of having gay (male) scoutmasters. But, there are ways to screen their leaders to make sure they don’t bring on men who would abuse boys. Most (but alas not all) gay men would never even consider taking advantage of teenagers, particularly those in their charge.
That said, I just don’t get why they would bar lesbians from being scoutmasters. Lesbians tend not to be interested in boys and would not definitely molest them. Thus, I was struck earlier today when HotAir linked this New York Times story, featuring a picture of a mother ousted as a “scout leader because she is a lesbian.”
The leadership of the Boy Scouts should make the decision on allowing openly gay members and scoutmasters. And I would like to see them change their policy.
NB: [Read more…]
- The Political Commentator – Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano going back…
- The Noisy Room – The Enemy Among Us – Even in Idaho
- Simply Jews – Glenn Greenwald or the douchebag’s lines of defense
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Shock And Shush
- Bookworm Room – Is the IRS scandal the worst political scandal in American history? I say yes
- Gay Patriot – In 2008, we told you Obama wasn’t the man you (thought you) were voting for. . .
- Joshuapundit–DHS Is Training Law Enforcement To Give Muslim Brotherhood, Radical Islamists A Pass
- The Razor – Scandal Scorecard
- The Colossus of Rhodey – New “Scotty” Spouts Off on the New Trek’sPolitics
- Rhymes With Right – My Response To @WhiteHouse #ObamaCareInThreeWords Meme
- The Glittering Eye –A Series of Unfortunate Incidents
- The Mellow Jihadi – Autumn Sandeen, a Sailor with No ESWS Pin?
- VA Right! – VA GOP Convention: Conservatives and TEA Party Send Republican Establishment a STRONG MESSAGE! Overcome DIRTY TRICKS and WIN!
- The Right Planet – #Scandalpalooza [Read more…]