Media angry with Holder?

From The Hill:

Fox News will not attend a meeting with Attorney General Eric Holder on the Justice Department’s policy of targeting the media in national security leaks investigations if the session is off the record, the network said Thursday…

Fox is just the latest media organization to say it will boycott the meeting if it is off the record. Holder asked for the meetings in an attempt to ensure [sic; assure?] the press corps that its investigations of national security leaks are conducted in a way that respects the First Amendment.

The New York Times, The Associated Press, The Huffington Post and CNN have issued separate statements saying they will not attend because the DOJ is requiring the content of the meetings stay confidential…

Is saying “We will only meet with you on-the-record” the media’s way of saying “We don’t trust you, scumbag?”

By the way – not to change the subject, but: the Obama administration’s violations of press freedoms and privacy rights (far in excess of anything Bush did) has me wondering, did Obama supporters in 2008 and 2012 know what they were voting for? Are they honestly disappointed with his administration now, like “that’s not what we voted for”?

You see, I knew. I didn’t know what specific violations were coming, but already in 2008, I knew that Obama & Co. were worshippers of the State (or of Big Government) who only pretended to care about the U.S. constitution.

It followed that, once in office, the Obama administration would violate people’s rights to freedom and privacy in various ways. Now we have the growing list of scandal revelations, to prove it.

If some Obama supporter claims they didn’t know, then either: (1 – seems less likely) I am smarter than them, or (2 – seems more likely) they aren’t being honest: they saw much of what I saw *and just didn’t care*. Which means they shouldn’t look at the Obama administration now and try to say, “That’s not what we voted for.”

1. I think the first time round was probably too early to tell, but the writing was burned deep into the wall on the second go around. Anyone who thought he was worthy of the Presidency the second time needs their head examined.

Comment by perturbed — May 30, 2013 @ 4:49 pm - May 30, 2013

2. Reading this, I thought “aw, we can’t stay mad at you”.

The media may pout for a while but then they’ll make up. They’re on the same side.

Comment by KCRob (SoCalRobert) — May 30, 2013 @ 5:32 pm - May 30, 2013

3. Martin Niemöller:

First they came for the communists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a communist.

Then they came for the socialists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Catholic.

Then they came for me,
    and there was no one left to speak for me.

Comment by SC.Swampfox — May 30, 2013 @ 5:55 pm - May 30, 2013

4. Ahem. Sometimes people forget that we are not a democracy. We are a republic.

Ahem, again. Sometimes people forget that the fundamental transformation of America begins with deep-sixing the whole republic principle and replacing it with a full blown Banana Republic.

Now, having arrived at the Banana Republic status, what does the government structure look like?

Most importantly there is the elected ruling oligarchy which is actually a kleptocracy, but campaigns on issues of social justice, social fairness, economic justice, and reform, reform, reform.

The courts are selectively peopled with advocates of judicial activism which supports the oligarchy and disregards or twists and bends the principles of law and justice to attain and justify the desired outcomes.

The legislature is a neutered lot of kleptocrats who feed off the public and play ball with the oligarchy.

The press dutifully reports the messages delivered by the government.

For most efficiency, the oligarchy is of one political party which has a lock on the voting “underclass” and keeps them salivating for more handouts while blaming the “oppressors” for lack of strides in gaining social justice, social fairness, economic justice, and reform, reform, reform.

Internal conflicts within the oligarchy are handled “off the record” and by a code of omertà. The press knows that reporting information about the function of omertà in a particular instance is to break omertà for which the punishment is permanent silence.

So, the “press” is not going to meet with the oligarchy because the oligarchy is insisting that their little education session is “off the record.” The MSM will dutifully print the talking points, but, by all that is holy, they will not be seen as dutiful puppets. Just because you are a whore, it does not mean you forfeit your right to your dignity.

Comment by heliotrope — May 30, 2013 @ 6:05 pm - May 30, 2013

5. Wasn’t SnObama supposed to be the “smartest man ever elected” to the presidency? If so, why is he looking so stupid in this regard?

Just askin’ is all.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — May 30, 2013 @ 8:25 pm - May 30, 2013

6. The left’s rationalization is that the right is Evil and that is worse than any corruption and in fact justifies any corruption, if necessary.

That describes just about every single Democrat/liberal/leftist in existence.

Comment by Ignatius — May 30, 2013 @ 9:20 pm - May 30, 2013

7. Actually, I think the relationship between the State-Run Media and the Dhimmicrats is starting to resemble the relationship between Nicole Simpson and OJ.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — May 31, 2013 @ 9:54 am - May 31, 2013

8. Quote from meeting “We won’t spy on you anymore.” Eric Holder. Well, that is special.

Comment by Linda Strickland — May 31, 2013 @ 11:48 am - May 31, 2013

9. I can’t stop being stunned by what liberals allow in the name of being popular. What has happened here is horrific. Sad to see the only real news organizations left are fox and WSJ, sometimes.

Comment by Carolynp — May 31, 2013 @ 12:04 pm - May 31, 2013