What’s going on? ‘Syriasly.’ I understand where Iran and Hezbollah are in this: they’re Assad allies and want their interests preserved. But:
- Do Assad’s troops really use chemical weapons?
- Are the rebels worth supporting? Aren’t they basically al Qaeda?
- Is this Obama’s Iraq War: where he must build a coalition (both domestic and international) in favor of a “regime change” on the word of intelligence agencies, thus becoming Bush?
- Is this a proxy war between the U.S. and Russia/Iran? Does it lead to a serious confrontation?
- What is the U.S. security interest in this, really? Has Assad become a worse international citizen than he was five years ago – say, a greater threat to Israel, Turkey, Jordan, Iraq?
- Or is this Obama’s Wag the Dog moment, where he tries to distract from his many scandals? Should I trust a war that Lindsey Graham believes in?
The Left seems to be all over the map on this.