Let us not forget, protestors once compared Bush to Hitler. . .

Back in 2009, at the outset of the Obama administration,when  a few Tea Party protestors compared the President of the United States to Adolph Hitler, the blogger Zombie, in this retrospective, reminded us how regularly liberal protestors did the same thing when George W. Bush was president. “One”, that blogger observed,

. . . would think that this would not be particularly newsworthy, but Democrats, the White House and their supporters are expressing outrage at this “horrifying” and “menacing” turn of events. (Or faux-outrage, at least.) Pundits, bloggers, media outlets and even top politicians like Nancy Pelosi are claiming that such signs are unprecedented, racist, and even that anyone who brings a swastika to a protest must be self-identifying as a Nazi (instead of accusing their opponents of being Nazis).

This all came to mind when, over the weekend, a left-of-center friend posted on Facebook that she was appalled

. . . to see a group of anti-Obama protesters with slur written signs towards our President as well as signs using the Nazi sign – I believe everyone has a right to their beliefs but the amount of disrespect towards this President is unfathomable and disgusting…what made it worse was the number of people cheering them on or honking their horns in agreement – a sad state of affairs we have reached in America…

She is right to be appalled.  It is wrong to compare the President of the United States to the “Führer” of the Third Reich.  That said, the amount of disrespect shown toward Mr. Obama is no less disgusting than that shown to Mr. Bush.

One only wonders why some only started speaking up against such slurs after George W. Bush left office.

We have indeed reached a sad state of affairs in America when people slur the President of the United States as do those who compare him to Hitler.  But, we had reached that state of affairs long before Barack Obama took office, indeed, long before George W. Bush took office.

Let us hope that in the next Republican administration, those who today express such concerns about civil discourse will continue to do so.

NB:  Yes, I know I’m not the first to make this point.  It just came to the fore this weekend as I followed the discussion in the thread to the aforementioned Facebook post.

1. The proper way to express outrage over America’s march toward totalitarianism — which did indeed accelerate during the Bush years, and has gone into warp-drive under Obama — is not to compare a U.S. President to Hitler. The proper way is to recognize that we, in the U.S., are in danger of going the way of the German people prior to World War II.

My heritage, on my father’s father’s side, is German. (The name should make that obvious). I get a little touchy when people ask me if any of my relatives were Nazis. I have no idea. The close relatives weren’t — they all lived in America by then — but perhaps some of the more distant ones might have been.

Heine is also a Jewish name. At some point in our family history, some of my ancestors were likely Jews who converted to Christianity. It’s possible that, because they had Jewish blood, they might have had to leave Germany when Hitler took power. I can only speculate about that, as I don’t know for sure.

I do know this. The Germans, over the balance of history, were fine people. They were cultured, tended to be highly educated. The reason there were so many Jews in Germany in the first place, by the time of Hitler, was that previous to that time, it had been more welcoming to Jews than almost any other land in Europe.

What happened to these very nice, sensitive, children-loving people to turn them into such monsters? They believed Hitler. They allowed themselves to buy into his utopian, statist nuttiness. And today, millions of Americans are marching blindly off on the same path.

There will be no swastikas this time. History repeats itself, but never in exactly the same way. Phony Christian dominionism is only one of two possible routes totalitarianism might take in this country. Leftist socialism being the other. But there are TWO possible paths to this potential ruin.

Comment by Lori Heine — June 24, 2013 @ 4:06 am - June 24, 2013

2. Again, but for Double Standards, the Left would have none at all.

Hand in hand with your reference to how the Left treated Bush and compared him to Hitler is the way the vast, vast majority of the Left, the very same who criticized Bush for the Patriot Act, are now completly embracing of Obama’s far more broad surveillance prgrams.

“It’s different when I do it!” That’s the catchphrase for Lefties.

Comment by acethepug — June 24, 2013 @ 6:13 am - June 24, 2013

3. I won’t shut up about that. Ban me if you feel you must. But I would be a lousy citizen of the country I love if I didn’t sound the alarm when I feel it is necessary. And I very much believe that it has become urgent.

Don’t ever shut up, Lori.

Well done, madam. :)

Comment by My Sharia Moor — June 24, 2013 @ 7:00 am - June 24, 2013

4. Do we even know that they are Tea Partiers (or even conservative)? As I recall, some of the people making the Obama-Hitler comparison were actually LaRouche folks who showed up at a Tea Party event. And later, there was a teacher in (as I recall) Oregon who was openly advocating fellow liberals go to Tea Party events and try to embarrass the TP movement by infiltrating it with with hateful or embarrassing signs. None of this is to say that there aren’t right-of-center Obama critics who make Nazi comparisons or who are actually racist or who are otherwise completely disgusting in the way they express their opposition to Obama, but I do think it’s important to push back on the idea that a few Tea Party protest signs are representative of the larger movement, especially when people who have both motive and opportunity to embarrass the Tea Party movement with embarrassing signs are out there. Whether it’s our side or the other side, we should judge movements by what a group’s leaders say or by what is by the group en masse rather than what’s said by an anonymous few.

Comment by Chad — June 24, 2013 @ 7:21 am - June 24, 2013

5. Why, Dan?

[Sentence deleted because it was a unfair slur directed against a friend of mine -- Dan]

You might try posting how her beloved Obama Party calls you a Jewish Nazi right now, and see how that goes over.

Comment by North Dallas Thirty — June 24, 2013 @ 8:27 am - June 24, 2013

6. My father grew-up in a rural Republican County in predominantly-Democratic Minnesota—where the “other party” is actually the socialist-populist Democratic Farm Labor (DFL) Party—during the Great Depression. It’s wasn’t ’til he was twelve that he realized that the POTUS’s name wasn’t “That-Damned-Roosevelt“.

Nothing really changes, does it….

Comment by Ted B. (Charging Rhino) — June 24, 2013 @ 8:40 am - June 24, 2013

7. The hypocrisy from the Left is so amusing.

Over on HuffPo, I left a comment in which I referred to “Obama”.

Some loon responded “That’s PRESIDENT Obama to you. You have no right to disrespect him by withholding the title.”

I wonder if that was the commenters position during the Bush years?

Comment by Rhymes With Right — June 24, 2013 @ 8:49 am - June 24, 2013

8. By the way — I bet the signs in question were these, and that they were held by members of this group. http://www.bigjollypolitics.com/2013/06/20/larouchies-invade-laporte/

Comment by Rhymes With Right — June 24, 2013 @ 8:52 am - June 24, 2013

9. Rhymes With Right beat me to it. It wasn’t TEA party folks with the 0bama as Hitler posters and claiming Nazi, it was the Commies (who were just as anti-Hilter back in the day) infiltrating the protests and getting themselves a double slam by smearing the fellow they felt was not commie enough, and slamming the TEA party by a false flag (who in their right mind thinks larouchies are mad about to much taxes?)

Comment by JP Kalishek — June 24, 2013 @ 9:57 am - June 24, 2013

10. “It is wrong to compare the President of the United States to the “Führer” of the Third Reich.”

How about Mussolini?
    1. Obama has described himself as a corporatist.
    2. Obama chooses as his allies fascists and communists and racists.
    3. Obama demonizes and attempts to silence and marginalize all who disagree with him.
    4. IRS intimidation of Tea Party groups.
    5. Obama administration looking benignly upon New Black Panther voting place thuggery.

Comment by pst314 — June 24, 2013 @ 10:46 am - June 24, 2013

11. It is wrong to compare the President of the United States to the “Führer” of the Third Reich.

(…..)

Yeah, sure.

Dan, I believe you are missing the point. You are speaking, I believe about the sacred, Constitutional office of trust in which the President of the United States has raised his hand before the citizens (We the People) and said these words:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.

The person who is President of the United States promises to the best of his ability to …. preserve …. protect …. defend ….. THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES.

Being selected to serve as President of the United States is to hold an office of trust, integrity, fiduciary responsibility, and respect.

We the People are generally assured in our reliance on the character, ability, strength, truthfulness of The President of the United States and we place our confidence in the person to strive daily to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.

When that trust is broken, The President of the United States ceases to exist and the office devolves to the man with the title and his malfeasance and/or his misfeasance and his actions of abrogating the Constitution of the United States.

Dan, I ask you this: Name the current high placed representative of We the People whom you sincerely believe could transition to the office of The President of the United States and fulfill the obligations of trust imbued in that office. Here are your choices: Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, any member of Obama’s cabinet, any inside-the-beltway “wisened” practitioner of the Washington Merry-go-round and Crony Capitalism Country Club of Personal Fame and Fortune.

Now, Dan, lets be clear about one very important thing. Obama can not be impeached. The thuggery of playing the race card to bring up the specter of radical racial unrest is as good a “brown shirt” threat as there is. He doesn’t have to raise a finger. John Lewis and his ilk will do it for him. They will wave the bloody shirt of racism on cue like Polly the Parrot when it is time to deal with “crackers.”

So, Dan, we have a man we do not trust. We do not trust Homeland Security. We do not trust the IRS. We do not trust Eric Holder. We may not really trust the FBI. We do not trust our privacy. We do not trust the Department of State. We do not trust that we will be rescued from harm’s way. We do not trust Obamacare. We do not trust our immigration system. We do not trust to “take it on faith” that our best interests are being considered. We do not trust much of anything we are told.

But, we have some real fears. We saw ACORN and now we seeing the unfolding of how the IRS was used to undermine the TEA Party in 2012. We are learning about the huge BIG BROTHER machinery being installed to watch our every single move by monitoring how we drive, where and when we drive, who we hear from and who we call, what we Google, what we write, what the infrared images from the drones show, what the sidewalk cameras record and what we buy at the grocery store and so forth.

Promises that all of this is being carefully controlled and monitored by paragons of Constitutional virtue is just a little bit silly in light of Edward Snowdon, Julian Assange, Bradley Manning any many more.

James Clapper and his “least untruthful answer possible” and Eric Holder investigating himself and no special prosecutor for the IRS crisis and FBI Director Robert Mueller being so detached that he did not know who was heading the IRS investigation and the IRS directors who knew less than Sgt. Schultz and Benghazi and Fast and Furious and on and on and on ………

Trust. When you have spent your good name, you can work forever to attempt to restore it. But,

Euripides (c. 480-406 BC): “When good men die their goodness does not perish, but lives though they are gone. As for the bad, all that was theirs dies and is buried with them.”

Shakespeare (Julius Caesar): The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.

I am not an advocate “slurring” the man and then walking away. But we do have to fight the powerful stench of Constitutional rot that pours from the Oval Office and the cabinet departments.

Obama has brought dirty political machinery to the process of how he chooses to govern. He didn’t invent it any more than any particular Godfather “invented” the Mafia. He has the dictator’s instincts and the willingness to manipulate the office and the powers in many ways which “skirt” the Constitution and call his motives and intent into question.

So, Dan, how do we “properly” assail the man who has so sullied and corrupted the office he holds?

One of us is naive and if it is me, I stand ready to be instructed.

Comment by heliotrope — June 24, 2013 @ 11:37 am - June 24, 2013

12. The selective amnesia of the Obama lover is absolutely amazing. They spewed the nastiest filth against the previous president, now anyone who dare speak against The Chosen One is a traitor and a racist.

Comment by Mike Cornelison — June 24, 2013 @ 12:14 pm - June 24, 2013

13. I think Lori makes a good point, and comparisons to the Weimar era can be especially apt these days. That’s one of the many reasons why it can be so useful to read and study Hayek, as he describes the kinds of conditions which make it possible for a brutal “strong man” to rise to power.

With regard to the points about LaRouche folks making Nazi comparisons, I still get a good laugh out of the time a Facebook friend approvingly posted a video of her then-Congressman, Barney Frank, responding to a question from a woman who asked him how he could support Nazi policies. She liked Frank’s response and wrote: “I love my Congressman.” The clip prompted a lot of comments from her other Facebook friends about those “crazies in the Tea Party,” and “how could anyone ask such a question,” and so on and so forth. As it happened, the clip had also received attention on conservative sites, where the woman’s name had been posted, and she had been identified as a supporter of Democrat Lyndon LaRouche. I responded to the thread by identifying the woman and the nature of her politics, and it killed the discussion. No one said any more on the thread after that.

Comment by Kurt — June 24, 2013 @ 12:45 pm - June 24, 2013

14. I believe everyone has a right to their beliefs but the amount of disrespect towards this President is unfathomable and disgusting

Well, it’s not like Obama disrespects his office or the U.S. Constitution or anything…

Comment by Rattlesnake — June 24, 2013 @ 2:48 pm - June 24, 2013

15. Let us hope that in the next Republican administration

Between Amnesty and low-information voters, I don’t think we have to worry that there will ever be a next Republican administration.

Comment by V the K — June 25, 2013 @ 11:20 am - June 25, 2013