Paula Deen and more, at American Thinker

I hadn’t visited there in awhile, but longtime commenter TGC put me on to this piece about Paula Deen. As many have noted, the frenzy against her seems ridiculously out-of-proportion: one occasion of saying the N-word privately 30 years ago, and her career now is to be destroyed.

The Deen witch-hunt may be an exercise in minority privilege, or/and, as Voshell’s piece suggests, it may be that Deen is several things which the Left simply hates: a Christian; a proponent of (delicious) lard, butter and sugar; a self-made woman (who doesn’t much push leftism); and more.

Once you’ve had one, you can’t stop. Some other AT pieces caught my eye:

UPDATE (from Dan): There is a little more to the Paula Deen story, suggesting that she was negligent in allowing her brother to engage in “juvenile behavior” while working at a restaurant they both owned (via Jim Geraghty’s Morning Jolt available by subscription).

UPDATE (from Jeff): That link still doesn’t give enough to justify firing her. “A moonlight-and-magnolias romantic view of Southern culture and history”, and a “redneck clod” brother who (gasp!) needs drug treatment and watches pr0n…Probably not news to Deen’s public.

UPDATE (from Jeff): What rusty just added in the comments from blacklegalissues.com, would be more serious. Systematic abuse of minority employees, something everyone should condemn – if it’s true. First question to ask is, whether it is true. If it is, I’ll join with the Deen-bashers.

UP-UPDATE (from Dan): I saw that post yesterday from blacklegalissues.com on Facebook and had planned on looking into it as time allows. If that story bears out, then, Paula Deen’s actions are in a word, despicable and she merits the condemnation she has been receiving in the media (and more). But, my preliminary research suggests that her greatest crime appears to be a failure to supervise a mean-spirited sibling; he may be responsible for the worst excesses.

Still, this bears looking into.

UPDATE (from Jeff): Worth noting that Deen is reportedly a Democrat, and that Jimmy Carter defended her a few days ago. Since I know that Democrats can be racists and have a tradition of racism in their party, I don’t take either of those as necessarily in Deen’s favor; for now, I am really just noting them.

1. What I find interesting is the successful witch hunt of Deen over an honest admission about events from decades ago as compared to the mostly “meh” reaction to the liberal elitist Alec Baldwin and his slurs regarding gays.

Liberals are inconsistent-they hunt down with pitchforks and torches anyone who isn’t one of them that violates their tolerance rules but hide and protect their own when they cross the line.

I believe we would call that hypocritical but liberals will try to parse out why they aren’t.

Comment by Just Me — July 1, 2013 @ 12:31 pm - July 1, 2013

2. I can´t understand why the left is so hard on Paula. Paula might be a Christian but she is no conservative. She is very friendly with Jimmy Carter. He was a guest and joined in cooking with her. and by his conversation Paula has been a guest in his home. She has cooked with Oprah, and several local black women, who have a reputation or a restaurant nearby, have been guest cooks. The libs are attacking one of their own. Will they go after Alex Baldwin next? Will they insistCapital One pull their commercials featuring the homophobe? Speaking of homophobes, teh Food Network has turned a deaf ear to Guy Fieri who made a remark in one of his programs.

Comment by Roberto — July 1, 2013 @ 12:49 pm - July 1, 2013

3. I can´t understand why the left is so hard on Paula. Paula might be a Christian but she is no conservative. She is very friendly with Jimmy Carter.

I have read two theories on this:

1. Paula Deen is Christian and southern who cooks food that Michael Bloomberg disapproves of; therefore, she is to be hated and scorned. Alec Baldwin is a northeastern liberal; so he can be forgiven because he is associated with goodthink.

2. The left needs to make an example of Paula Deen to keep in line anyone who might be contemplating an independent thought.

Comment by V the K — July 1, 2013 @ 12:52 pm - July 1, 2013

4. Nice try at being an apologist for Paul Deen.

Paula deen was not fired for a slur she used 25 years ago. She was fired for calling the employees at her restaurant racial slurs, forcing them to use separate restrooms & a back entrance, sexual harassment, and for claiming that she wanted to host a “slavery themed wedding” where only black men were hired as servers. Then she said that she wasn’t really a racist because she was raised that way & everyone in the south is like that.

But of course it is a long time conservative strategy to diminish accusations of racism lodged by blacks and make white racists out to be the victims no matter how preposterous the scenario.

[Jeff adds: As a non-conservative, I wouldn't know if it is a "longtime strategy" or not. All I care about, one way or the other, is the facts. Instead of hurling accusations, would you perhaps care to enlighten us with credible links about Deen?]

Comment by Another_Jeremy — July 1, 2013 @ 12:53 pm - July 1, 2013

5. The Deen controversy underlines another leftist trait: proving one’s ideological or personal purity through persecution, but selectively. One measure of the journey an American possibly takes re. race is whether announcing one’s anti-racist position is worthy of announcement and the attention of anyone else. If you have to proclaim your anti-racism so loudly, what does that say about your relationship to racism? It is, in part, precisely this conspicuous demonstration of virtue that I find suspect; rather than decide racism is evil, then proceed to address every individual as such, there is a constant effort to remind oneself and others of one’s enlightenment, intelligence, humanity, pointing to any shred of evidence such as Deen’s admittedly spotty record (which is more involved than the use of a single objectionable word, by the way, if news reports are to be believed) and inflating it to a level commensurate with, obviously, one’s own personal insecurity. Deen and other flawed human beings (unlike her superiors who are burdened with perfection) offer the ideal opportunity to prove just how enlightened her critics are and, as the article implies, she’s certainly an easy target. These are the souls who advocate race-norming, speech codes, and other policies that often are the opposite of their stated intent; liberty stands no chance against a metaphysical gestapo.

What in the world has happened to forgiveness?

Comment by Ignatius — July 1, 2013 @ 1:06 pm - July 1, 2013

6. Comment by Another_Jeremy — July 1, 2013 @ 12:53 pm

Moron Alert @ #4

To repeat: Moron Alert @ #4

Take all necessary precautions.

Comment by Jman1961 — July 1, 2013 @ 1:09 pm - July 1, 2013

7. Daryl K. Washington is an attorney located in Dallas, Texas. His practice includes Sports and Entertainment, Civil Rights, Litigation and Business Transactions. The opinions expressed in the commentary are those of Daryl K. Washington. You can reach Daryl at dwashington@dwashlawfirm.com or you can visit his website at http://www.dwashlawfirm.com

Comment by rusty — July 1, 2013 @ 1:12 pm - July 1, 2013

8. Oops. Sorry for the double

Comment by rusty — July 1, 2013 @ 1:19 pm - July 1, 2013

9. rusty, no problem – I just cleaned it up.

It’s a very legitimate counterpoint – if it’s true. I’ve just said so, on the main post.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — July 1, 2013 @ 1:26 pm - July 1, 2013

10. Semi-snarky comment. IF the lawsuit is true on the merits, isn’t that just them celebrating their culture?

Comment by The_Livewire — July 1, 2013 @ 1:39 pm - July 1, 2013

11. Another_Jeremy,

Haa here been any employee who has given sworn testimony to your assertions? How many employees came forth? As for the ¨slave¨ wedding that was also, an idea well in the past. Bit actor Harry Lewis and his wife founded a chain restaurants in Los Angeles around 1950´s and some other cities in which all the waiters, waitresses, take out, and short order cooks were black. Harry´s idea was to make whites feel superior being served by blacks. Some made up to restaurant manager. I know this from expereince having been theassistant at the Brentwood unit. By the 1990´s he integrated the help. If he were alive today should he be condemned?

Comment by Roberto — July 1, 2013 @ 8:16 pm - July 1, 2013

12. “. . . and a “redneck clod” brother who (gasp!) needs drug treatment and watches pr0n. . .”

Two words: Billy Carter

Comment by Blair Ivey — July 2, 2013 @ 1:01 am - July 2, 2013

13. No, Another_Jeremy, Paula Deen was destroyed for having the audacity to say something negative about the First Lady. The former employee in question who brought suit wrote a glowing letter about said employer earlier, and there are rumors that a note claiming that a payoff of $1.25M would have ensured this problem had never arisen.

IF that is true, so much for any moral high ground, eh?

And as stated earlier, how odd that you Lefties are on your fainting couches over this, and strangely silent on Alec Baldwin or Saint Trayvon’s “girlfriend” and her racist comments ….

Oh, right, but for Double Standards, you would have none at all. Right.

Comment by acethepug — July 2, 2013 @ 6:20 am - July 2, 2013

14. Another Jeremy, being a leftist, takes unsubstantiated allegations of racism at face value if they are directed against someone the hive-mind has designated as the latest Emmanuel Goldstein. Similarly, if the hive-mind directs him to ignore offensive comments from a leftist celebrity, he complies.

Much easier to go through life letting others think for you; it’s part of the appeal of leftism.

Comment by V the K — July 2, 2013 @ 6:57 am - July 2, 2013

15. Paula Deen is yenta bait for the salon set. She is toast. Next up, an HBO movie. She is the poster child they are always looking for in times when distraction is paramount and essential to sneaking their agenda past the sheeple. Bloomberg can have her picture on the 16 ounce cups.

On the other hand, if we knew one percent of what Alec Baldwin has said and done in his life it still wouldn’t matter. Unless he throws a litter of shelter puppies off the top of the Washington monument in an effort to hit crippled children on ground, he gets a pass.

What, pray tell, is the mystery?

Comment by heliotrope — July 2, 2013 @ 9:01 am - July 2, 2013

16. The problem with conversations like these is that we don’t turn the tables enough. We need to get the progressive to admit their dislike/hatred of racism or anything that smacks of it, and then explode their argument. This is part of a conversation with an older gentleman, Walter, and myself where I did just that:

This led me to my favorite analogy, which I asked Walter to allow me time to build. He agreed, revealing ultimately his political inconsistencies:

Walter, I will use Bush in my analogy. Let us say for twenty years Bush attended a church that twice prominently displayed David Dukes likeness on the cover of their church’s magazine which reaches 20,000 homes, and a third time alongside Barry Mills (the founder of the Aryan Brotherhood). Even inviting David Duke to the pulpit to receive a “lifetime achievement award.” Even selling sermons by David Duke in the church’s book store. Authors of sermons sold in Bush’s church’s bookstore teach in accordance with Christian Identity’s view that Jews and blacks are offspring of Satan and Eve via a sexual encounter in the Garden of Eden. In the church’s bookstore, the entire time Bush attended, books like Mein Kampf, My Awakening (David Duke), and other blatantly racist books. Even members of the Aryan Brotherhood felt comfortable enough to sit in the pews at times… being that the pastor of the church was once a reverend for the group.

Now Walter, if Bush had gone to a church like that I would walk arm-n-arm with my Democratic comrades in making sure he would never be President. You would expect me to I am sure?

He confirmed my suspicion. I then shared my knowledge of Obama.

I purchased from Obama’s church’s bookstore [online: http://www.akibabookstore.org/ 3-books: A Black Theology of Liberation, Black Theology & Black Power, and Is God A White Racist?: A Preamble to Black Theology. In these books Walter, God is said to be against white people, and mirror in their hatred of whites to that of Jews in Mein Kampf, calling both devils.

====================
    ▼ “The personification of the devil as the symbol of all evil assumes the living shape of the Jew” ~ Adolf Hitler – Mein Kampf
    ▼ “The goal of black theology is the destruction of everything white, so that blacks can be liberated from alien gods” ~ James Cone, A Black Theology of Liberation, p.62
    ▼ “White religionists are not capable of perceiving the blackness of God, because their satanic whiteness is a denial of the very essence of divinity. That is why whites are finding and will continue to find the black experience a disturbing reality” ~ James Cone, A Black Theology of Liberation, p.64

(see more: http://tinyurl.com/9dmj43v)
    ====================

Obama’s pastor not only was a minister in The Nation of Islam, an anti-Semitic/racist group, but the church’s book store sells sermons by Louise Farrakhan, who teaches that the white man was created on the Island of Cyprus by a mad scientist, Yakub. (Mr. Farrakhan also believes he was taken up on a UFO to meet God, and was told he was a little messiah, take note also that he was directly involved in the deaths of police officers as well: http://tinyurl.com/kvgtpcb) Louise Farrakhan was featured twice on the church’s magazine which reach 20,000[plus] homes in the Chicago area. Even placing on the cover with Louise Farrakhan a third time the founder of the Nation of Islam, Elijah Muhammad. Elijah Muhammad likewise taught that the white man was created by Yakub 6,600 years ago. Walter, Louise Farrakhan teaches that the Jews in Israel do not belong there, and that the true Jews are the black people. Louise Farrakhan was invited into Obama’s church, to the pulpit and given a “lifetime achievement award.” In fact, the New Black Panthers and members of the Nation of Islam often times sat in the pews for sermons by Rev. Wright, whom Obama called a mentor.

So I expect you, Walter, to join arm-and-arm with me on finding out why the media, and Democrats who are so concerned about racism let such a man into office, when, if the tables were turned, I wouldn’t want in office.

Do you know the next thing out of Walter’s mouth was?

★ “Didn’t Bush speak in a church that forbid interracial marriage?”

I responded that no, it was a speech at Bob Jones University…

…and you are making my point Walter. If that bugs you soo much to mention it during the course of a conversation, why doesn’t Obama’s history more-so irk you? Not to mention the university overturned its silly rule, even Bob Jones said he couldn’t back up that policy with a single verse in the Bible (CNN). Obama’s CHURCH OF TWENTY YEARS has made no such concession.

Read more: http://religiopoliticaltalk.com/hot-tub-conversations/#ixzz2XtlQa07B

Comment by PapaGiorgio — July 2, 2013 @ 10:43 am - July 2, 2013

17. Paula Deen just represents the latest victim in the Dhimmicrats’ war on women.

And yes, I went there. Deal with it.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — July 2, 2013 @ 10:56 am - July 2, 2013

18. Underneath all the Left vs Right talk is the bald face of the actual American race regime installed ever more tightly since the 60′s. Whites have become the most foolish people on the planet.

Comment by EssEm — July 2, 2013 @ 11:38 am - July 2, 2013

19. Did the employees have to stay and endure the insults, no. But they did have the right under the Civil Rights laws to file lawsuits that protect them from such abuses. They are a protected class. Are the founders of Gay Patriot now endorsing the push for including gays as a protected class?

Comment by SC.Swampfox — July 2, 2013 @ 12:13 pm - July 2, 2013

20. Here’s something progressive-left hero Al Franken said thirty years ago that he was totally given a pass on:

I just don’t like homosexuals. If you ask me, they’re all homosexuals in the Pudding. Hey, I was glad when that Pudding homosexual got killed in Philadelphia.’ The smile became so broad it pushed his eyes shut. He couldn’t stand it any longer.

A true hero to progressives everywhere.

Comment by V the K — July 2, 2013 @ 12:28 pm - July 2, 2013

21. V the K, did you mean Al Franken or Al Sharpton? Frankly, I think you meant Al Sharpton, but I don’t like either one of them.

Comment by SC.Swampfox — July 2, 2013 @ 12:36 pm - July 2, 2013

22. My apologies to V the K. Al Franken did make the remark, not Al Sharpton.

Comment by SC.Swampfox — July 2, 2013 @ 12:40 pm - July 2, 2013

23. Al Franken did make the remark, not Al Sharpton.

As if there is a big difference between two rich white liberal assclowns who got their start on MSNBC.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — July 2, 2013 @ 2:17 pm - July 2, 2013

24. did you mean Al Franken or Al Sharpton?

The “Reverend Al” is the one who popped off some time back with his “then Greek homos” remark.
    So your mix up is entirely understandable.

“Get your programs here!”
    “Get your programs, ladies and gents!”
    “You can’t tell the ”tolerant’ liberal racists’ apart without a program!”

Comment by Jman1961 — July 2, 2013 @ 2:22 pm - July 2, 2013

25. That should read: “them Greek homos”

Comment by Jman1961 — July 2, 2013 @ 2:22 pm - July 2, 2013

26. The restaurant chain that I cited in #11 is Hamburger Hamlet.

Comment by Roberto — July 2, 2013 @ 4:53 pm - July 2, 2013

27. That should read: “them Greek homos”

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — July 2, 2013 @ 11:02 pm - July 2, 2013

28. Since I am half-Greek, I am hereby claiming victim status against the perp who issued that slur, and I am demanding restitution!

Will that be enough?

Comment by Jman1961 — July 2, 2013 @ 11:23 pm - July 2, 2013

29. Hmm, I am a homo with a house in Greece. Does that count for anything? Wanna do free yard work in Mykonos?

Comment by David in New Orleans — July 3, 2013 @ 1:40 am - July 3, 2013

30. The best I can do is to say “I’m sorry” and offer to do your yard work for free for the next ten years.
    Will that be enough?

That depends – how good do you look without your shirt on? :-)

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — July 3, 2013 @ 10:47 am - July 3, 2013

31. I am a homo with a house in Greece.

Bet you’re regretting buying it now, especially with all the new property taxes the government is imposing on non-Greek citizens.

BTW – I had a friend who had a family home on his grandparents’ island of Lesbos. He called himself “a gay male Lesbian.”

I kid you not! He had a lot of fun making all the GayLeftLib types confused. ;-)

Regards,
    Peter H.

Comment by Peter Hughes — July 3, 2013 @ 10:49 am - July 3, 2013

32. Eh, it’s always something. Anyway, I love it there, so no regrets.

Comment by David in New Orleans — July 3, 2013 @ 11:47 am - July 3, 2013

33. @Peter

If I was an eccentric billionaire, after a couple child molesters who have hurt friends close to me died in amazing accidents that could be absolutely not traced to me, I’d buy land on Lesbos, jsut so I could be a male Lesbian. :-)

Comment by The_Livewire — July 3, 2013 @ 11:51 am - July 3, 2013

34. The actual taxes are not so bad, they are just very complicated.

Comment by David in New Orleans — July 3, 2013 @ 12:01 pm - July 3, 2013

35. Wanna do free yard work in Mykonos?

Comment by David in New Orleans — July 3, 2013 @ 1:40 am

I’m not sure.

I have enough to do to keep up with MYkonos, nevermind anybody else’s.

Comment by Jman1961 — July 3, 2013 @ 12:35 pm - July 3, 2013

36. That depends – how good do you look without your shirt on? :-)

Comment by Peter Hughes — July 3, 2013 @ 10:47 am

In my own very biased: not too bad at all.

But to be completely candid, it’s not as good as it was 20 years ago.

Comment by Jman1961 — July 3, 2013 @ 12:38 pm - July 3, 2013

37. Yeah, my own unbiased OPINION.
    Geez!

Comment by Jman1961 — July 3, 2013 @ 12:40 pm - July 3, 2013

38. If Paula Deen can be destroyed for saying the N-word several decades ago, why not destroy the careers of professors and activists who talk today of “sun people” and “ice people”?

Comment by pst314 — July 3, 2013 @ 1:26 pm - July 3, 2013