The fetching and clever Steven Crowder looks at the causes of Detroit’s decades-long decline:
Here’s the short answer: Decades of Big Government…Leftists…Unions. It turns out that government interventions, subsidies and bailouts don’t help people to live better lives and build better cities; in the long run, they subsidize inefficiency, failure and crime. Who knew?
- Cuts to Detroit government workers’ salaries and pensions are thought to be mathematically inevitable now.
- Not to worry, though: Left-wing Congressmen and judges are busy telling Detroit, you’re not allowed to do that. Find another way. Repeal the laws of math. Do…something! (Via HotAir.)
- For some reason, Obama let the City’s bankruptcy happen and is not talking bailout…yet.
- But do you remember when Romney was pilloried for saying he’d let Detroit go bankrupt?
- In the last six decades, Detroit has lost nearly two-thirds of its peak population and 9/10 of its manufacturing jobs.
- Leftists are here to tell us, Orwell-style, that it all happened because Detroit’s government is…too small! It doesn’t tax enough!
After listening to that last one, I need to contemplate humanity’s doom at the hands of our new Robot overlords.
UPDATE: As a study in opposites, I bring you the perennially-booming Texas.