Is Rielle’s apology real?

Posted by Jeff (ILoveCapitalism) at 11:03 am - October 15, 2013.
Filed under: Annoying Celebrities,Democratic Scandals,Life

Rielle Hunter admits wrongdoing, in moral language for her affair with John Edwards:

“For years I was so viciously attacked by the media and the world that I felt like a victim. I now realize that the attacks are actually beside the point. The point is: I behaved badly.”

Hunter apologized for her “wrong, selfish behavior,” admitting that she did not consider the “scope” of her actions when she became involved with Edwards in 2006 and how it “could hurt so many people.” She specifically apologized for the pain she inflicted on Elizabeth Edwards, who died of breast cancer in 2010.

“I hurt Elizabeth and her kids. I hurt her family. I hurt John’s family. I hurt people that knew Elizabeth. I hurt people who didn’t know Elizabeth but loved her from afar. I hurt people who gave their hard earned dollars to a campaign — a cause they believed in,” she wrote. “I hurt people who are married and believe in marriage. Many of these people have let me know that I hurt them. Unfortunately, I was not thinking about anyone but myself. I was selfish. I fell in love with John Edwards and wanted to be with him and that desire trumped everything else. “

I’m remarking on it because the no-responsibility, no-moral language, no-admission, “I’m sorry if YOU got offended by me; what am I supposed to do?” non-apology has become such a staple of modern culture. And this appears to be the opposite.

On the cynical side: Hunter is trying to sell her book right now. But if we (as a culture) have reached the point where wrong-doers finally have to give convincing apologies if they want to make news and sell books…I don’t know, it might be positive? Should we hope it gets trendy?

1. …(have we) reached the point where wrong-doers finally have to give convincing apologies if they want to make news and sell books…I don’t know, it might be positive? Should we hope it gets trendy?

No, we shouldn’t.
    An apology isn’t sincere if future book sales, or any other anticipated (strictly) personal gains, are riding on it.
    It’s only sincere when there’s nothing more attached to it than the genuine contrition of the bad actor and their desire to ‘set things right’ for the people who they have harmed.
    Anything other than that is insincere and a sham.

Comment by Jman1961 — October 15, 2013 @ 1:00 pm - October 15, 2013

2. Don’t these people have to undergo three days of remarkably successful character reorganization and emerge 100% cured before they embark on their “former victim” tour?

Is Rielle still brushing the silky pony’s hair? In my book, being a barnacle attached to John Edwards is a special circle of Hell all in itself.

If she is not united with John Edwards, then she should look for the she abandoned and crawl back under it. Reading about her 15 minutes of fame would be like watching GoPro videos taken by a tapeworm at work.

Comment by heliotrope — October 15, 2013 @ 2:09 pm - October 15, 2013

3. For years I was so viciously attacked by the media and the world that I felt like a victim. I now realize that the attacks are actually beside the point. The point is: I behaved badly.

A remarkably diminutive nutshell. What is a vicious attack — stating in clear, unambiguous language what she actually engaged in? What about Edwards’ own responsibility and how he might have done far more damage (as in to the nation) had their affair not become public until much later? Notice that she doesn’t temper her view of the ‘attacks’, but merely realizes that those ‘attacks’ are ‘beside the point’, the point that she ‘behaved badly’. This is pure narcissism, the same kind that led to the downfall of an unusually flawed candidate, something for which I am extremely grateful. Thanks, Rielle, for your immorality, and thanks be to God for giving you a navel with which you are eternally fascinated.

Comment by Ignatius — October 15, 2013 @ 2:19 pm - October 15, 2013

4. I don’t care. She’s a whore.

Comment by V the K — October 15, 2013 @ 2:51 pm - October 15, 2013

5. I don’t know the woman. The optics of book sales and her apology certainly are interesting. But I don’t know the woman. I also believe in the possibility of redemption, that people can recognize their own misbehavior, that people can change for the better.

She’s made her apology in clear, unequivocal terms. I take her at her word.

Let actual future behavior confirm or refute her apology.

Eric Hines

Comment by E Hines — October 15, 2013 @ 3:37 pm - October 15, 2013

6. EH, exactly. If her apology waffled, then I’d go with the full-on cynicism.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 15, 2013 @ 3:56 pm - October 15, 2013

7. Let those whom she has hurt/harmed judge her. To myself she did us all a great favor in exposing John Edwards.

Comment by SC.Swampfox — October 15, 2013 @ 6:22 pm - October 15, 2013

8. Interesting point! Plenty of lying narcissists to take Edwards’ place, but still…one less.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 15, 2013 @ 8:05 pm - October 15, 2013

9. Interesting point!

One I made back at #3. Thanks for agreeing! :D
    I think it’s safe to assume none of us know Hunter personally; the best we can do is judge her from a distance. Some will choose to judge her by her words, others by her actions. She’s chosen to couch her supposed contrition in traditional, conservative tropes (funny how that works — I sure wish these people would extrapolate on occasion), I suspect to soften resistance to her image as a home-wrecker, candidacy-wrecker, opportunist, etc. Hard to say who might want to read her tale of debauchery and hubris.

Comment by Ignatius — October 16, 2013 @ 9:57 am - October 16, 2013

10. One I made back at #3.

But less efficiently ;-)

Hard to say who might want to read her tale of debauchery and hubris.

I had a similar thought. “Who would actually read her book?” Maybe a disappointed Edwards (John or Elizabeth) fan. But I don’t think any are left. The one that I knew, moved on when all the Enquirer stuff broke. (He stopped ever mentioning the Edwards, suddenly.)

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — October 16, 2013 @ 1:22 pm - October 16, 2013

11. I had a similar thought.

But less colorful. ;)

I was actually hoping you could answer that question, what with your past. :P

Comment by Ignatius — October 16, 2013 @ 5:01 pm - October 16, 2013