Michelangelo Signorile Goes Through Life With Panties Perpetually Bunched, Pearls Perpetually Clutched

R.S. McCain Reports on Michelangelo Signorile’s typically hypersensitive, overwrought response to a wee incident of what he perceives as an affront to gay political correctness.

Publicity about a relationship between 39-year-old Hollywood screenwriter Dustin Lance Black and 19-year-old British diving champion Tom Daley has inspired criticism even from some gay rights activists. Joshua Epstein, a blogger who identifies himself as a gay progressive Democrat, reacted to the Black-Daley affair on Twitter: ”He could be his father. Yuk.

That reaction was condemned by Huffington Post columnist Michelangelo Signorile, who said only “internalized homophobia” could cause gays to criticize such relationships. “There is an undercurrent in these comments — the ‘chicken hawk’ charge — that suggests that gay men are more likely to sexually abuse underage teens, the ugliest lie about gay men out there,” Signorile wrote Friday in Huffington Post’s “Gay Voices” section. “Hardcore homophobes are predictably pointing to Black and Daley as supposed proof. But many gay men too, so defensive about the charge and deathly fearful of how it’s used, overcompensate by saying ‘yuk.’”

Signorile specifically defended sites that promote “intergenerational” gay sex. ”Some younger people are attracted to older people, and vice versa,” he wrote. “There’s even a gay website called Daddyhunt.”

Oh, there’s a website promoting that sort of thing and that makes it OK. Michelangelo, let me introduce you to Boychat; a website for pedos.

OK. So, depending on your point-of-view, a relationship between a guy who’s pushing 40 and a guy who’s too young to drink legally can run from “Yuk!” to “You go!” At least in this case, the younger man is an adult (unlike the boys who got involved with Democrat Gerry Studds, Democrat Mayor Sam Adams, and Safe School Czar Kevin Jennings).  But because Michelangelo Signorile believes that any criticism of gay behavior is tantamount to collaboration with the hated Christian Right, only the latter response is considered politically correct.

Never mind that if it were a heterosexual intergenerational pairing, a lot of people would still be going “Yuk!”

herbert_ddc5d0_270181

1. “pearls perpetually clutched” LOL

Comment by EssEm — December 8, 2013 @ 3:40 pm - December 8, 2013

2. …any criticism of gay behavior is aking to collaboration with the hated Christian Right….

Well, it is of a piece with the “theory” that only a racist would criticize a black man, and if the criticizer is white, he’s an especially evil racist.

Eric Hines

Comment by E Hines — December 8, 2013 @ 5:09 pm - December 8, 2013

3. In the hierarchy of the doucheball hall of fame, Signorile is right up there with Dan Savage.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — December 8, 2013 @ 5:59 pm - December 8, 2013

4. In the hierarchy of the douche bag hall of fame, Signorile is right up there with Dan Savage.

Comment by Bastiat Fan — December 8, 2013 @ 6:00 pm - December 8, 2013

5. At first, I thought Daley had met a guy around his own age. Then I found out Mr. Black’s age, and yes, I had an “Umm…” reaction. There are just too many unknowns that could paint very different pictures of this relationship. Daley identifies as bisexual, saying he is attracted to women but that he had a strong connection with Black. Daley says he did not know Black was gay when they first met. Did they become friends before becoming lovers? Who initiated the romance, Daley or Black? Did Daley want to experiment or has he had long had homosexual desires? Did Black exploit Daley’s youth and uncertainty, or did he simply offer his support for Daley, which led to a relationship?

There are too many unknowns here to pass judgment: best case, this is an atypical relationship of two men who have found love with each other despite a large age gap; worst case, this is an older man exploiting the feelings of a younger man for his own satisfaction. There are happy and stable intergenerational relationships, and there are manipulative and twisted ones. Time will tell which is the case here.

Comment by Sean — December 8, 2013 @ 6:12 pm - December 8, 2013

6. Privately, Sean, I’m wondering if it’s a casting couch sort of thing.

Comment by V the K — December 8, 2013 @ 6:31 pm - December 8, 2013

7. @ V the K

Oh, eww. That’s even worse. Black is a screenwriter: perhaps Black had the intention of making a movie about Daley’s life, or intended to make Daley into a movie/tv star. In either case, we all know that the casting couch is alive and well in the entertainment business. There have been persistent rumors since Beijing that Daley was gay, based on the *sarc* fool-proof *sarc* evidence that he has a bit of a lisp and is not a super-masculine man. Black could have easily used these rumors to trick Daley into a tryst: “But I’m not gay!” “How do you know unless you try?”

Of course, that’s conjecture without evidence, which I try not to engage in. Time will tell what the real story is.

Comment by Sean — December 8, 2013 @ 7:29 pm - December 8, 2013

8. Where there is love, age shouldn´t matter. Some May – December relationsahips heve lasted.

Comment by Roberto — December 8, 2013 @ 7:50 pm - December 8, 2013

9. Yes, because gays looking like they support what is almost pedophilia will do wonders for “gay rights.”

Comment by Rattlesnake — December 8, 2013 @ 8:11 pm - December 8, 2013

10. @ Rattlesnake

Many people don’t know, but back in the early days of gay liberation, NAMBLA was often associated with prominent gay and lesbian rights groups. The association was deplored by a lot of gays and lesbians, but NAMBLA was still a member of the International Lesbian and Gay Association until 1994.

So yes, people who use the “gays are pedophiles” line are lightly touching on fact, even if it is slightly distorted. The past association with NAMBLA will be hotly denied by gays and lesbians today, understandably, but it did occur. More progress would be made with, “Yes, it happened, we’re not proud of it” than “What? No, that didn’t happen! How dare you make such an accusation!”

Comment by Sean — December 8, 2013 @ 9:56 pm - December 8, 2013

11. Meh. I remember first going to the bars in the Montrose in my early-mid 20s. Didn’t know what was what so my “home base” was a twink bar. Always had “gross trolls” hitting on and pawing me. Now I are one. I say as long as the guy is over 18, whatever creams your twinkie, dude.

I’ve always been into younger or younger looking guys. I learned a long time ago, though, that younger guys tend to be pretty immature and therefore a pain in the ass (figuratively). My partner of 17 years is almost 10 years older than me but looks almost 10 years younger.

Comment by TGC — December 9, 2013 @ 4:43 am - December 9, 2013

12. There have been persistent rumors since Beijing that Daley was gay,

HELLO! He’s a diver. It’s like that kid on Modern Family.

Comment by TGC — December 9, 2013 @ 5:26 am - December 9, 2013

13. Then again, this sounds like he’s going for something comfortable more than anything else. Doesn’t sound like the right frame of mind for a serious relationship.

Comment by TGC — December 9, 2013 @ 5:40 am - December 9, 2013

14. Latest from Project Veritas: Enroll America Director Conspires to Release Private Data for Political Purposes

Comment by Steve — December 9, 2013 @ 6:46 am - December 9, 2013

15. *shrug* the age thing doesn’t bother me (disclaimer: I’ve been in a few may/december realtionships. My exwife was 12 years my seniour, my partner Donna was 14 years my seniour, and I dated a girl 17 years my juniour.) They’re consenting adults…

*except*

If he was using a position of power or influence to secure the relationship. That’s wrong.

Comment by The_Livewire — December 9, 2013 @ 7:08 am - December 9, 2013

16. There’s “illegal” and there’s mere “creepy”. Illegal ought to kick in with anyone under 18 (but sadly, that bright line has become frayed). While creepy kicks in when someone is less than “half your age, plus 7″.

The difference, of course, is that Mere Creepy isn’t illegal. 39-with-19 seems pretty creepy (where 39-with-27 does not). But, at the end of the day, no one really knows except the two parties involved.

V is right that it isn’t a gay vs. straight thing, because 39-with-19 seems equally as creepy when straights do it. Signorile should have kept his mouth shut, following Twain’s advice.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 9, 2013 @ 11:53 am - December 9, 2013

17. It’s Signorile’s overwrought reaction I am writing to. The ickiness of the relationship is in the eye of the beholder, I just think a person has the right to think it’s icky… Unlike Signorile and the gay left PC brownshirts he speaks for.

Comment by V the K — December 9, 2013 @ 1:07 pm - December 9, 2013

18. The ickiness of the relationship is in the eye of the beholder, I just think a person has the right to think it’s icky…

Exactly. Same here.

Comment by ILoveCapitalism — December 9, 2013 @ 1:53 pm - December 9, 2013

19. Would a relationship between two men ages 30 and 50 be less creepy, i.e. is the creepiness Daley’s young age or merely the age difference? (The criticism that Black is old enough to be Daley’s father isn’t saying much in an age where boys are reaching puberty as early as age 8 — but that’s another issue and involves diet, hormones, etc. Now that’s something I find genuinely creepy.) I don’t find 19/39 really creepy. Questionable (motivations, for example)? Absolutely, but not creepy as in repulsive. I believe that at age 18, the average man is old enough to make his own decisions re. his relationships and sexual activity and he’s physically mature enough to engage in sex absent of any man-on-boy taint. That doesn’t mean I approve of such relationships but I don’t find them disgusting. Odd, but not disgusting.

There were repeated news reports of a young girl from Washington State who married a California personal trainer many years her senior. (Sorry, can’t remember the names or particulars.) I think everyone expressed some level of revulsion and rightly so, as her age was 16 at the time, with suspicions that the relationship had been going on while she was 15. Not only ‘Yuck!’ but ‘Blech!’ I wonder what Signorile might have thought of it.

Comment by Ignatius — December 9, 2013 @ 5:24 pm - December 9, 2013

20. Now that I’ve thought about it some more, I think this case is a little…creepy. I think part of judging age difference, for me, is the visual factor, especially if the 19 year-old is particularly young-looking. I remember being 19 and being attracted to older guys; as others have commented, I don’t know enough about these particular circumstances nor do I think I’m in a position to dismiss the relationship as invalid based purely upon their age difference. I guess in theory, I’m not bothered by it but considering an actual relationship, I am.

Comment by Ignatius — December 9, 2013 @ 7:10 pm - December 9, 2013

21. I think ILC’s equation, a younger partner being at least seven years older than half your own age, is a good rule of thumb. So, if we keep Black’s age the same, 39, Daley would have to be about 27 for the relationship to not raise eyebrows. On the other hand, if we keep Daley’s age the same, then Black would have to be… 24. Which was honestly as old as I thought Black could possibly be when I first heard that Daley had come out. So as this equation shows, there can still be a sizable age gap between the two and it not be too unusual. Of course, as with all rules, there will be exceptions, both for relationships that are firmly within the range and outside of it. This is simply a rule of thumb.

Theory and practice are strange things. When something is abstracted, we can be dispassionate about it, but seeing the thing played out in reality elicits an emotional reaction.

Comment by Sean — December 9, 2013 @ 9:03 pm - December 9, 2013

22. Re. the link to the boychat website – are you sure you should be putting that in? There are people in some places who risk ISP flagging and investigation just by going there.

As for May/December – Isherwood/Bachardy, anyone?

If they’re both legal, I say go for it – yeah, it’ll raise eyebrows if the gap’s very large, but that’s the risk anyone takes.

Comment by perturbed — December 10, 2013 @ 7:05 pm - December 10, 2013

23. Would a relationship between two men ages 30 and 50 be less creepy, i.e. is the creepiness Daley’s young age or merely the age difference?

Yeah, 30-with-50 wouldn’t raise my eyebrows — it’s not the “Black is old enough to be Daley’s dad” part that squicks me, but rather the “Daley is just barely old enough to vote” part. Or, in other words, the younger partner’s significantly more limited “life experience” is the issue.

Comment by Throbert McGee — December 11, 2013 @ 3:12 pm - December 11, 2013

24. For the record, I cringe when I hear about heterosexual relationships with this kind of age difference. And, I have the same reaction with people who are homosexual who enter such relationships with such age difference relationships. For the record my female stockbroker married a young man who could almost be her son. I do wonder how long this marriage will last.

Comment by SC.Swampfox — December 15, 2013 @ 9:23 am - December 15, 2013